Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Must have been one hell of a stable where the founders of all of the world religions were all born on the same day. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Saying "that's funny" but not laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Never mind about the Americans, a lot of people in Ireland and on this site need to go back to primary school, There instead of Their, to instead of too and worst of all i see some people using no for know- thats just brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Acacia wrote: »

''Remember not everyone is Christian''- Last time I checked , Christmas was a Christian holiday. So if people have a problem with it being called 'Christmas', that's just too bad. I don't expect people to change the names of Ramadan or Hanukkah because I'm not Muslim or Jewish. :D

I just hate the term 'holiday season' myself, not even for any political implications, I just think it sounds naff.

The thing is, several religions have holidays around the end of the year. For example, jewish people celebrate Hanukkah, so by saying "Holiday Season", shops are including these people too. Obviously they've worked out "Holiday Season" is more commercially successful than "Christmas season".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Haven't read the entire thread so if its being mentioned already soz...

Ride in place of car. This pisses me off greatly and makes me want to take a sharp object and carefully scratch along the side of said ride whilst the person isn't looking. Usually wog boys and bogans (equivalent of knackers) are the only ones that use this term.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

grasshopa wrote: »
    Saying "that's funny" but not laughing.

:D

I can hear them now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you bump one more thread older than a month I will track you down and put the hurtings on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Did I mention the elongation of the letter "A" to make it sound like an "O" and totally changing how words sound?

Examples: Milan becomes Milon, I'm really sick. That's all I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Did I mention the elongation of the letter "A" to make it sound like an "O" and totally changing how words sound?

Examples: Milan becomes Milon, I'm really sick. That's all I can think of.

Yes Terry, yes you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Dude comes from the Irish word "dúid" which means a foolish looking man. The Irish brought that over to the US during the famine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

If you bump one more thread older than a month I will track you down and put the hurtings on you.

Last post was a month ago. How the fock do you define "bumping"?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Last post was a month ago. How the fock do you define "bumping"?

I PM'd you all nicely like before I resorted to in thread warnings after the 5 millionth one you bumped today..
    Don't ****ing do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

javaboy wrote: »
    Calling Christmas the holiday season is not so much about political correctness as about money. Plenty of non-Christians celebrate the fun,present giving Santa side of Christmas but they might not be so keen if it was always called Christmas. It's basically advertising spin.

Present giving is done every night over Hanukka, which usually runs over the same period of December as Christmas. The holiday season is a handy term that covers both. Its not about being involved in a Christian tradition, its about following your own traditions.

Its not always about commerce, athough it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,870 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was talking about lodging a cheque into my savings account the other day and got a bunch of blank stares

".......lodge?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Just found it on wikipedia:

List of English words of Irish origin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Irish_origin

List of English words of Old Irish origin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Old_Irish_origin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Awesome, like totally, dude, righteous, bitchin', waaay, and all things ending in 'izzle. Most rap slang. Most slang generally.

I'm fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Overheal wrote: »
    I was talking about lodging a cheque into my savings account the other day and got a bunch of blank stares

".......lodge?"

I have a similar problem if I ask "Are you in the queue?", its waiting in line over here!! silly i know but annoys me they dont know that word.

Present giving is done every night over Hanukka, which usually runs over the same period of December as Christmas. The holiday season is a handy term that covers both. Its not about being involved in a Christian tradition, its about following your own traditions.

Its not always about commerce, athough it usually is.
    Meh.

It's just pandering to politically correct people.

76.5% of Americans are Christian, 1.3% Jewish and 0.5% are Muslim. Source.

If the overwhelming majority of a country is Christian, then they shouldn't be pressured into doing something as petty as changing "Happy Christmas" to Happy Holidays" just to protect the sensitivities of a few beligerent ****wads.

PC argues its religious persecution to force Merry Christmas on people. Besides, I don't want to hand them merry christmas - its one step closer to church and state having sex in the library with the candlestick

Meh.

It's just pandering to politically correct people.

76.5% of Americans are Christian, 1.3% Jewish and 0.5% are Muslim. Source.

If the overwhelming majority of a country is Christian, then they shouldn't be pressured into doing something as petty as changing "Happy Christmas" to Happy Holidays" just to protect the sensitivities of a few beligerent ****wads.

I don't see any beligerence in being inclusive. Or any reason to call people names over it.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    PC argues its religious persecution to force Merry Christmas on people. Besides, I don't want to hand them merry christmas - its one step closer to church and state having sex in the library with the candlestick
    I don't see any beligerence in being inclusive. Or any reason to call people names over it.

But would either of you really be bothered to go to the hassle of getting it changed to Happy Holidays?

Just think before you reply to this one and then tell me if you would be willing to go to the trouble of getting everyone to say happy holidays instead of happy christmas.

Would it really bother you that much?

But would either of you really be bothered to go to the hassle of getting it changed to Happy Holidays?

Just think before you reply to this one and then tell me if you would be willing to go to the trouble of getting everyone to say happy holidays instead of happy christmas.

I've always said Happy Holidays, I couldn't care less how others express good wishes and I've no interest in getting anyone else to change, but I don't consider it poisonously PC to use the Holiday greeting, and I certainly wouldn't characterise those who do so as being beligerent, or whatever the other insult you used was.

Personally, I like to be inclusive, possibly because I'm not Christian and don't see December as being a month of only Christian celebration.

probably worth about as much effort as organizing a peaceful protest online :pac:

I've always said Happy Holidays, I couldn't care less how others express good wishes and I've no interest in getting anyone else to change, but I don't consider it poisonously PC to use the Holiday greeting, and I certainly wouldn't characterise those who do so as being beligerent, or whatever the other insult you used was.

Personally, I like to be inclusive, possibly because I'm not Christian and don't see December as being a month of only Christian celebration.
    My point was that the beligerent people were the ones who went about getting this done in the first place.

It would have been done when America was well over 80% Christian too.

BurgerKingFailSign_02.jpg

That is one of the saddest displays of illiteracy I have seen in quite a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Thread sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

And blows

swallows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Des wrote: »
    That's a culchie thing aswell though.
    To be fair. Pants is the accepted word for trousers all over Britain, America and Ireland with the exception of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mad_PADDY!

Mad paddy must scramizzle as he has to pimp it to the shop with his hommies to get some hommie-food.

Advertisement