Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is "the line" for "bumping" a thread?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 3:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

This warning is a bit silly Bollocko tbh, its obvious you're a Mod newbie (no offence :)). Surely a thread that is no more than 2 months old isnt out of bounds.

So can we have a firm ruling from a C Mod or similar. Eg; "6 months or older bump = ban, less than 6 months = ok"

Or whatever. Rather than it depending on the mod or the mood that they happen to be in.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Buddy it was somewhere around the 5th old thread you bumped in one day.
    I PM'd you asking you not to do it again.
    I was being nice.
    I locked one. Left the rest of them go.
    You bumped another old thread.
    I warned you in thread.
    As it stands it is just a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There's no general rule against bumping.
    Pointless bumping on the other hand is, well, pointless.

Also, arguing with a moderator on thread will get you banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

There's no general rule against bumping.
    Pointless bumping on the other hand is, well, pointless.

Also, arguing with a moderator on thread will get you banned.

Cheers.

As clear as mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Stop being such a smartass. Its annoying when old threads (no matter how old) are bumped. Especially when they are your own threads you are bumping. All you got was a warning, it could have been worse. Terry could have got there first while nursing a hangover. Not pretty!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Cheers.

As clear as mud.

There are valid bumps and there are invalid bumps my man. The time frame is not necessarily an absolute guide and we take bumps on a case by case basis. However if it is one of your OWN THREADS and you are just bumping it with minimal input to get back to page one that is not really hunky dory. At least not with me. And not with the AH charter either.
    I requested, via PM, that you stop bumping old threads.

I was responding, in fact, to a reported post for one of them and when investigating this boring boring information I found that you went and bumped about 3 boring more.
    This is the point at which you would have received the boring PM my good man.
    The boring PM which was a request. Which you ignored.

At that point I posted a boring warning in thread. One of the other threads that you bumped.

However I have an inkling as to what this is all about, and don't worry. I wont actually track you down and put any hurtings on you. I was just trying to be, you know, light-hearted about the whole boring thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

There was one bumped after five years earlier (not by the OP).

That's older than my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    So can we have a firm ruling from a C Mod or similar. Eg; "6 months or older bump = ban, less than 6 months = ok"
    There is no firm ruling on thread bumping, it depends on the forum and the topic being bumped at the time of de-zombification. I doubt there will ever be a hard and fast ruling on acceptable thread bumping site-wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You want a hard, firm, hot rule? You, IvaBigWun, are not allowed reply to any thread where the last reply has been over 1 week ago. You're a special case.

Bumping threads is fine, as long as there's a good reason to bump them. It's subjective. Your contributions are rarely (read: never) worth bumping a threads for. You also bump several old threads at the same time. You usually bump your own threads after you've been away for any length of time (ego much?)

Locked thread? no infraction or ban? Oh dear. Life must be tough for you.

Advertisement