Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

A_M101 wrote: »
    I think this is an Americanism....

I'm noticing that loads of people nowadays are saying "real" instead of "really", as in "she's real good at that".

Irritates me a bit.

The vast majority of people I know in south Tipperary say "fair" instead of "fairly", e.g. "I was fair langers last night", and that's not something that came home from Nantucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

upmeath wrote: »
    NAAAT SO MUCH - Can be used to express displeasure or disgust with something.
    "Europe's awesome... Africa, naaat so much"

But Borat used it and he's half Welsh half Kazakhstani.
    Borat wrote:
    In my country, they would go crazy for these two. This one... not so much...

javaboy wrote: »
    But Borat used it and he's half Welsh half Kazakhstani.

Do you think Sacha Baron Cohen gifted the American people with that one? It's been going on for years, long before Borat was released.

One that's really started pi$$ing me off in recent months is when you buy food when you're out you hear the inevitable "FOR HERE OR TO GO?"

Is it just me or did we not say "EAT-IN OR TAKE-OUT?" until about 18 months ago? No matter where I go now I get this "FOR HERE OR TO GO?" craic, I'm not in Portland I'm in Portobello, give me my chips (NOT FRIES!) in a brown paper bag and I'll be out of your way!

Do you think Sacha Baron Cohen gifted the American people with that one? It's been going on for years, long before Borat was released.

I wasn't suggesting he did. Just that it's not solely an American thing.

One that's really started pi$$ing me off in recent months is when you buy food when you're out you hear the inevitable "FOR HERE OR TO GO?"

Is it just me or did we not say "EAT-IN OR TAKE-OUT?" until about 18 months ago? No matter where I go now I get this "FOR HERE OR TO GO?" craic, I'm not in Portland I'm in Portobello, give me my chips (NOT FRIES!) in a brown paper bag and I'll be out of your way!

"Take-out" is far more American than "To go". Most of time people just say "eat here or take away".

The jury's out on that one javaboy. Your local chip shop, does it have "To Go" written outside on the signage? No, I'm guessing it probably has Take-out or Takeaway there.

Sharon Ni Bheolain's pronunciation wrecks my head too, she calls it "the nooze" and not "the news" (nyooze, phonetically). US Americans say "Toosday" for "Tuesday", I really don't know what they have against the letter U. Harbor, color, honor, valor.

I've a friend who worked in a deli in the states and it took him ages to get his head round why they pronounce "Parmesan" like "Parma-jan", "Or-e-gan-o" becomes "O-reg'no". They're a strange people.

• Advertisement

The jury's out on that one javaboy. Your local chip shop, does it have "To Go" written outside on the signage? No, I'm guessing it probably has Take-out or Takeaway there.

Like I said, "takeaway" is ok. "Take-out" is an Americanizm.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've a friend who worked in a deli in the states and it took him ages to get his head round why they pronounce "Parmesan" like "Parma-jan", "Or-e-gan-o" becomes "O-reg'no". They're a strange people.

Is he a bit slow or did he not get the whole "It's Italian cheese" thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I think the sit com 'Friends' has alot to answer for.....

Like....whatever!

:pac:

-Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County
    -The Hills
    -My Super Sweet 16

I think a lot of American and English words are being used by people on the other side of the M50...I live in 'Talafornia' as misspelled by some dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    As a nation I find 70% of them to be as thick as dogsh*te but America is also giving us some phrases that are slowly creeping into Irish vernacular more and more.

"Season" being one - in reference to a television "series"

"Mom" instead of the good old Irish "Ma"

"Shag" instead of our lovely "ride" phrase.

"Fired" instead of "sacked" (ok thats been around awhile)

"Dude" (ditto)

So what Americanism gets on your tits?

Lay down as opposed to lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is he a bit slow or did he not get the whole "It's Italian cheese" thing?
    theyd give you a blank stare and point out that their wedge came from an american producer. "Made in america." *facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

People who say leash instead of lead

Roadend wrote: »
    People who say leash instead of lead

People who say lead instead of plumbum.

Phone Quiz on the the radio this morning:

Q: Name 2 European Countries

A: "....China. And..............................................................." Buzz

Also apparently Karl Rove is a baseball player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

look i know america dus produce great minds but seriously is there sometin in their education that actually attempts to take the brain out of citizens...

for example on holiday in california and this fat kid sits down beside me and asks me

'were u from''

eh wat!!!

were u from?

eh ireland

to my suprise he replied 'were that'

i would expect some1 of 16 to know a place called ireland existed but fair enough we are only a small country but his next reply was just insane

i said 'in europe' to which he replied 'were that'

OMG...i said near mexico and walked off.

goon.

Yeah...thats a pet peeve of mine. Here they are trying to figure out why America isnt economically viable when the workforce is just getting dumber and dumber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

this whole thread is like the Daily Telegraph circa 1950. Then there was problems with such Americanizations as OK, and Teenager. To name but two. Nevertheless the language rudely moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Lay down as opposed to lie down.

That's not an Americanism, that's a person not knowing the difference between the two.

Fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Overheal wrote: »
    Phone Quiz on the the radio this morning:

Q: Name 2 European Countries

A: "....China. And..............................................................."

What was the other one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What was the other one?

Australia... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That's no where near Europe.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    That's no where near Europe.

Hey it's nearer Europe than Mars is. It's all relative! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Using the word "quasi" instead of "semi", e.g. I was like, only quasi- drunk last night...quasi doesn't mean the same thing as semi!!!! (in fairness it's more of a UCD thing but it's pretty annoying, so I'll put it down to the Americans!!)

mom can I have my allowance? etc etc...

Oh yeah and pronouncing the I at the end of a word wrong, like mult-eye millionaire, quas-eye drunk, etc etc....ggrrrrRRRR!!!!

Jesus I shouldn't have started on this.... Spelling things wrong, can that be accepted as an americanism? sympathiZe instead of sympathiSe.. Airplane instead of aeroplane....the list is literally endless...Jee-aysus they're thick!!! :D

It really grinds my gears hehe!!

And leaving out the letter 'u'- it's coloUr, dammit!

A lot of advertising has American terms in it now, like 'fall' for autumn, 'vacation' for holidays, etc, etc!

But the thing that always me is when they refer to Christmas as 'the holiday season' , it's so fcuking cheesy- :mad::mad::mad:-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    As a nation I find 70% of them to be as thick as dogsh*te but America is also giving us some phrases that are slowly creeping into Irish vernacular more and more.

"Season" being one - in reference to a television "series"

"Mom" instead of the good old Irish "Ma"

"Shag" instead of our lovely "ride" phrase.

"Fired" instead of "sacked" (ok thats been around awhile)

"Dude" (ditto)

So what Americanism gets on your tits?
    Meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Acacia wrote: »
    A lot of advertising has American terms in it now, like 'fall' for autumn, 'vacation' for holidays, etc, etc!
    "Fall" is British word, it was in use during colonialism so it came to America. Brits stopped to use this word later, but it's still in use in America.
    But the thing that always me is when they refer to Christmas as 'the holiday season' , it's so fcuking cheesy- :mad::mad::mad:-
    It's been used in commercials made for the masses. Remember that not everyone is Christian.

Also "holiday season" very often refers to period between Christmas and new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 theprodigals0n

Apparently "thunk" is commonly used to define the past tense of the word think. :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There are a few that annoy me at the moment.

Historical, yes it's a word, but when historic is more fitting why not use it? "This is an historical day." Urgh.

"Where are you at? - Horribly redundant.

Parents to Childers: "I need you to brush your teeth for me." What do you mean you need him to, and why for you, they're his teeth ffs, what's wrong with "brush your teeth please."?

WooPeeA wrote: »
    "Fall" is British word, it was in use during colonialism so it came to America. Brits stopped to use this word later, but it's still in use in America.

It's been used in commercials made for the masses. Remember that not everyone is Christian.

Also "holiday season" very often refers to period between Christmas and new year.

I didn't know that 'fall' was a British word, that's interesting. I still prefer autumn myself.

''Remember not everyone is Christian''- Last time I checked , Christmas was a Christian holiday. So if people have a problem with it being called 'Christmas', that's just too bad. I don't expect people to change the names of Ramadan or Hanukkah because I'm not Muslim or Jewish. :D

I just hate the term 'holiday season' myself, not even for any political implications, I just think it sounds naff.

Acacia wrote: »
    ''Remember not everyone is Christian''- Last time I checked , Christmas was a Christian holiday. So if people have a problem with it being called 'Christmas', that's just too bad. I don't expect people to change the names of Ramadan or Hanukkah because I'm not Muslim or Jewish. :D

I just hate the term 'holiday season' myself, not even for any political implications, I just think it sounds naff.

Calling Christmas the holiday season is not so much about political correctness as about money. Plenty of non-Christians celebrate the fun,present giving Santa side of Christmas but they might not be so keen if it was always called Christmas. It's basically advertising spin.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    Calling Christmas the holiday season is not so much about political correctness as about money. Plenty of non-Christians celebrate the fun,present giving Santa side of Christmas but they might not be so keen if it was always called Christmas. It's basically advertising spin.

Yes, I agree. I think it's about reaching the biggest market possible. That's why I don't like it.

Advertisement