Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 samba09

hi,

i got my place for the test done last november and i got place 249 does anybody know if this good or bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Its good . well done . you'll probably be called for the next stage of the competition fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Got my result in december came 451 is that good when do you think i might get an interview ?. I'm in the military is this an advantage ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

its an advantage in the fact that you're aware of how the command structure in a uniformed branch of the state structure works and all that goes with that i.e. disciplinary procedures and the like, but there's an element creeping into the job now of people who have been in private industry/business, in positions of authority, joining up and are really struggling to get to grips with following orders and instruction. A clear head,open to take instruction and direction, and a positive outlook are huge benefits when going for the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

dropsey wrote: »
    did u do your interview in dublin in early july ?

i had my interview early july told waiting on security clearance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Hi tommy57,

if you don't mind me asking when did you do the test, just wondering how long you waited between test and interview, and how did you do in the test i came 653, was happy enough and was told to expect interview but not for a while(6 maybe 12 months) that was by a senior officer and civil servant in dept of justice, anyhow hope you get in and soon, best of luck:)

Hi,
    Ive heard the 2008 recruitment panel is last two years ?. I know 60 from this group are being interviewed in feb. Can anybody answer this question. How many are interviewed for each intake ive heard it is 200-250 ?. I finished 446 in the 2008 competition prob wont get an interview until sept or at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

I did the interview in august ive passed the security clearance and im waiting to do the fitness test anyone in the same boat as myself?as for people who applyed for the 08 campaign id say be in for a long wait even though there are a load retiring this year i don think they will take as many on cause of this recession:(

I dont think the POA will allow numbers to drop they are already under staffed where did you come in your exam and what group were you called for interview ?. Ive heard the
    PS is the only part of the oublic sector that will not be taking a pay cut if it is announced. POA is a very strong union.

macroman29 wrote: »
    I dont think the POA will allow numbers to drop they are already under staffed where did you come in your exam and what group were you called for interview ?. Ive heard the
    PS is the only part of the oublic sector that will not be taking a pay cut if it is announced. POA is a very strong union.
    i think the POA might not want too many to be taken on as it cuts the overtime they can earn which was the great part of the job hey i dunno just keeping the fingers crossed.I did the aptitude round march 07 but i was well back 1353 so im waiting for the fitness test now.I dont know if this "super" prison in Thornton Hall will go ahead if it does theres a fair chance they will take in the numbers.

• Advertisement

Thornton Hall is going ahead but is delayed for another two years 2013. Mcdowell regulated the PO overtime to 360hrs. Ive heard they are only recruiting as required and that is 100 for 2009. can you tell me how many groups have being taken in from your competition ? Is it true they interview up to 250 applicants per group of 25 ?

i had my test in april 07 ,interview and medical in july 08

Thornton Hall is going ahead but is delayed for another two years 2013. Mcdowell regulated the PO overtime to 360hrs. Ive heard they are only recruiting as required and that is 100 for 2009. can you tell me how many groups have being taken in from your competition ? Is it true they interview up to 250 applicants per group of 25 ?
    Well if they are only taking in that number in 2009 anyone that was placed well back in the 07 campaign (includes me) and the 08 campaign can forget about it for a few years!id be hoping they take on more than that i think a big number can take retirement this year because they have the years service put in but they will prob hang on till retirement age cause of the jobs situation when they leave.

tommy57 wrote: »
    i had my test in april 07 ,interview and medical in july 08
    Well Tommy57 you did the interview a month before me.I presume you havent done the fitness test yet?

Scatman81 wrote: »
    Well Tommy57 you did the interview a month before me.I presume you havent done the fitness test yet?
    no man i have,nt have to admit pretty fed up with it at this stage they should,nt be iterviewing so many and just leave them waiting.all the stuff you have to do to get to the last stage and they leave everyone hanging on .either they tell you your in or your not.

tommy57 wrote: »
    no man i have,nt have to admit pretty fed up with it at this stage they should,nt be iterviewing so many and just leave them waiting.all the stuff you have to do to get to the last stage and they leave everyone hanging on .either they tell you your in or your not.
    We are all in the same boat well i suppose we have the hard parts passed.As u said tis the waiting for it is a balls.I heard there is a fitness test in February but that was a while back.One of the posters said they are only taking on 100 in 2009 if thats the case we can forget about it for a long time.We will prob be called for the fitness test at the same time let me know if u hear anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Hi all

I think it is fair to assume that they will interview 3 candidates per postion? as there is atleast 3 interviewed for 1 position in the private sector maybe more, anyway based on some of the information posted here and they recruit 100 this year then atleast the first 300 will be interviewed, unforntunitly im not in the first 300,but i believe and hope it will be more, there are 14 prisons in this country, with retirements and promotions i really can't see only 100 being recruited, for example with 100 being recruited thats still only 7 officers to each prison give or take obviously some prisons being more populated than others, does'nt seem much does it,

and for those in the final stages, consider yourself very lucky and the best of luck and hopefully one day ill be there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Hi,
    Ive heard the 2008 recruitment panel is last two years ?. I know 60 from this group are being interviewed in feb. Can anybody answer this question. How many are interviewed for each intake ive heard it is 200-250 ?. I finished 446 in the 2008 competition prob wont get an interview until sept or at all.

Hey man. Im on the 2007 panel. I did and passed the last part of the process which was the fittness test last october. I have recently rang to find out what happens next and was told i was number 63 on the list. They are taking on 20 people every 3 months so that means that i might be called either august or november time. Thats a grand total of 2 and a half years since first applying If that aint drawn out i dont know what is.

Garryd wrote: »
    Hey man. Im on the 2007 panel. I did and passed the last part of the process which was the fittness test last october. I have recently rang to find out what happens next and was told i was number 63 on the list. They are taking on 20 people every 3 months so that means that i might be called either august or november time. Thats a grand total of 2 and a half years since first applying If that aint drawn out i dont know what is.
    At least you are in the home straight im waiting to do the fitness test not happy to know ive another long wait after that:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

Garryd wrote: »

Hi Garryd when did you do interview in Dublin and what number were you after appitude approx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Dropsey
    Did my interview in july 2008. Thought i made a mess of it but they asked me back for a fitness test. As for what number i was after the apptitude test man i was just happy to pass it!!! I havnt a clue what number i was. Im at the moment waiting to be called. They told me twill be august or november all going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SETANTA05

anyone know who to call regarding current applications?
    i need to organise a holiday for a week sometime in feb/march and dont want to book anything and then get notice of the interview for during the week im away

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

SETANTA05 wrote: »
    anyone know who to call regarding current applications?
    i need to organise a holiday for a week sometime in feb/march and dont want to book anything and then get notice of the interview for during the week im away

Hey Setanta05, You can email public jobs at prisonofficer2008@publicjobs.ie
    They usually respond within a couple of hours

Feedback is out today on last competition. Just came through letter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Good to hear that. I've been wondering when they'd get round to sending that out. I don't count the 26th as early Jan. Wonder when we'll get dates for interview. Managed to come 12th in the aptitude test so i'm in the first group bein called.

Hopefully not to long. Came in the twenties myself so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

Got my letter today also. I hope they do hold the interviews in Feb and that they're not postponed due to budget constraints or anything.

Judging by the comments from some of the lads above it seems to be a very long and drawn out process.

hows it going have you heard of any dates for your interviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

No not a thing. I was hoping we'd be told something along with the results letter. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I'll hear something soon. Almost went mad waiting for the letter. Early January? Yeah Right!

• Advertisement

its along drawn out process man its brutal how long it takes

Advertisement