Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

Anyone know when the interviews are start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 prisonireland

Got email with application form and a date for this day next week. I placed no.58 in aptitude tests so i presume most people have theirs done now.
    Pity they don't give you more notice with application.
    Anyone how just done the interview have any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

that a date for your interview ?usually they give you at least 2 weeks to fill it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

tommy 57
    think i did interview in dublin in july 08 maybe at same time as you. Like you i got letter in early november telling me iam thru to stage three and still no sign of date for physical.
    Hope people realise it can take over 2 years to get to last stage and then your left hanging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

anyone else get word on an interview? i haven't yet and i was placed 60. there's no sign of the prep coures either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

Got email with application form and a date for this day next week. I placed no.58 in aptitude tests so i presume most people have theirs done now.

I haven't heard a word and I was in the top 10? No e-mail or message at publicjobs. Maybe they're doing it by centre? Where did you do it prisonireland? I did my aptitude in Cork.

yeah man your right nobody knows what way they do it or how they make choices some from the july 08 interviews have had their physical amd i havent even got secruity clearance sorted out and i have never had trouble with the police. was told during the week still waiting on clearance from department of justice. at this stage you would,nt know whats going on.so people from the 08 campaign may as well settle down for a long drawn out process as dropsey said 2 years if your lucky maybe year and half.

Thanks Tommy57, I actually just sent off a CAO today. Always have a backup plan:D! If things pan out that I am waiting that long I could have a higher certificate/ordinary degree done by the time:eek: Might as well be doing something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I came in around the 750 mark, I also applied for the army but their not takin on till 2010 (Hopefully)

Think i might head off to new york for a year, id nearly be better off the way things are here...

I also applied for the army last summer. I got a letter asking me to attend the Physical Test (PT) in November. Received another letter a week later saying recruitment had been postponed by headquarters and that they wouldn't be hiring again until they got orders to do so. (This was around the time it was announced that several barracks would be shut down.) I'll be too old the next time it comes around so that is that, I suppose.

Applied for the PO around the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

dropsey wrote: »
    tommy 57
    think i did interview in dublin in july 08 maybe at same time as you. Like you i got letter in early november telling me iam thru to stage three and still no sign of date for physical.
    Hope people realise it can take over 2 years to get to last stage and then your left hanging.
    I think myself, yourself and tommy57 are at the same stage.Is there any way we could find out when the physical test is goin to be held?i tried contacting the prison service but couldnt get anyone who could say.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Pity they don't give you more notice with application.
    Anyone how just done the interview have any feedback?

I was placed 12 in the aptitude test and haven't recieved an e-mail about the interview yet. I see 2 others in the same situation. Did my test in Dublin. I think prisonireland is havin a joke at our expense!

Has anyone rang The Irish Prison Service to ask them how many people are being recruited? Public jobs just say they dont know :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

portumna wrote: »
    I was placed 12 in the aptitude test and haven't recieved an e-mail about the interview yet. I see 2 others in the same situation. Did my test in Dublin. I think prisonireland is havin a joke at our expense!

My husband was placed in the 30's and hasn't heard anything too. So that's 4 now.

That is his only post.

They see me trollin'.............

they just d,ont seem pushed on what their doing and this with no disrespect to the 08 campaign lads i still d,ont understand why they had another recruitment when there is still lads from 07 campaign not even through yet.they just seem to interview you ,tell you your under consideration then thats it. never had an interview where your told that then your just left wondering ! unless they have a strange way of deciding who they want .equal opurtunities and all that !

I rang The Irish Prison Service yesterday, they advised me that some people have already been called for interview from the 2008 panel.

Forgot to add, the lady I spoke to mentioned that they should have a better idea after today as to how many recruits will be taken on. Fingers crossed Brian Cowen doesn't cut the budget.

I would strongly suggest to those of you who are in the top 60 to either get in touch with public jobs or The Irish Prison Service. At 263 I have awhile yet to wait :(

going by what your saying man they select who they want from top 60 and it dosent go by merit which is totaly unfair though hard to believe,though who knows how they do it

That appears to be the case. It's shocking that they can pick and choose who they want. They should be working their way down the panel not picking and choosing.

If I wasn't desperate for work I'd tell them where to go :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Just after ringing the public appointments service and they advised me that no dates for interviews have been confirmed as of yet. They said that it will be in the first 1/4 of the year and not February as stated in correspondence that we've recieved.

It's lookin like a long wait.

• Advertisement

why is there so many diffrent responces to this ? public jobs havent a clue it seems. they just fog you off without giving you any info. though after today we,ll probaly all know where we stand . i emailed them 2 weeks ago and then i did again because i got no reply and only got an answer last week.best thing we all can do is just wait for a letter telling you good news or bad news either way you know and none of this crap anymore

Why are The Prison Service saying on thing and then public jobs saying another? :confused:
    It's very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Hi lads

This all sounds like aload of S**t, but its typical, nobody has a clue, public jobs or prison service and and its hard to be positive but minister for justice did say recently that frontline services won't be cut, i would class the prisons as frontline and just as important as the need for the gardai if not more so, so i would say they will go ahead with recruitment, just glad i am not waiting on it! cos it will take ages, but try be positive there was obviously a need to start a recruitment campaign back in october 08 and we were in recession then, so they still need to staff the prisons.

hopefully man the guards only start training there on monday apparantly so all you can do is try stay positive. but if you keep getting diffrent replies you d,ont know where you stand

well lads

any opinion on yesterday's pension levy? this will drive alot of people out of the prison service on retirement, there are hundreds who could retire this year,but i believe some were planning on stayin on to top up pensions, but its going cost nearly €4,000 a year,

was talking to father in law yesterday and he was saying if he could get out now he would but he has 7 years left, his take home will be €4000 less but a secure pension, he knew something was coming i.e paycut or levy was glad it was the latter.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

well lads

any opinion on yesterday's pension levy? this will drive alot of people out of the prison service on retirement, there are hundreds who could retire this year,but i believe some were planning on stayin on to top up pensions, but its going cost nearly €4,000 a year,

was talking to father in law yesterday and he was saying if he could get out now he would but he has 7 years left, his take home will be €4000 less but a secure pension, he knew something was coming i.e paycut or levy was glad it was the latter.

Cheers
    That might be the case but id say the number recruited to cover retirements will be kept to the absolute minimum.Maybe the prison service have staffing levels that have to be kept up to an exact number i dont know.

i'd say considering the nature of the job and the health and safety issues involved in it they must have a minimum requirement for staffing levels and i am led to believe that they are understaffed as it is, well in one prison i heard its particularly bad( pats in dublin) and i am sure not all of those leaving will be replaced but the majority will have to be if the prison system is to work.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

has anyone even started preperation for the interview yet. ie getting the scernarios wrote out.

you can only have so many recruits out of 3117 prison staff there are 547 recruits. you have to have experinced officers there ,i d,ont think this is the end of it public servants will probaly threaten strike action and hold the country to ransom.emergency services would have more pull in this area

• Advertisement

not being funny but has anyone looked into joining the english or scottish prison service they are always recruiting.big step though ! any comments

Advertisement