Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks,

Medlar has been reported by me for a trolling post and given a warning.

It is apparent that a number of ye saw his posts but no one reported the post. It makes the Mods job easier if people report post which they believe breaches the charter. In future if you see a post that you believe is against the charter, please report it using the report button found on the bottom left of each post.

Thanks

TheNog

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

TheNog wrote: »
    Folks,

Medlar has been reported by me for a trolling post and given a warning.

It is apparent that a number of ye saw his posts but no one reported the post. It makes the Mods job easier if people report post which they believe breaches the charter. In future if you see a post that you believe is against the charter, please report it using the report button found on the bottom left of each post.

Thanks

TheNog

YO NOG....

post reported to civdef by pm. didn't know I could report any other way. Thanks for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

did the exam today, i think it went ok, but i suppose its hard to tell, i found that the time wasnt a problem, as it can be in eg civil service exam.
    Although i wish they would give you a 'last minute warning before they tell you to stop writing'.results out in december.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Hey there nowyertalkin! Welcome to boards. You can tell your friend that once he has his JC and a trade he is eligible. My brother started two months ago and was in the very same situation. If you look back at previous pages in this thread you will get some answers to you question on placements!

bohsboy wrote: »
    If you've no time for "screws", you've obviously spent time inside. :rolleyes: I dont think this job is suitable for you so jog on please.
    not being funny here, but what did he mean by screws? what is it a slang word for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 salut

hi to everyone,im wondering are all the prison officer recruit exams being held on the same day i.e 19 nov.in dublin only or are they on differant dates at differiant locations around the country.Thanks for all the information about PO,s over the last few weeks.

i did mine last saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

salut wrote: »
    hi to everyone,im wondering are all the prison officer recruit exams being held on the same day i.e 19 nov.in dublin only or are they on differant dates at differiant locations around the country.Thanks for all the information about PO,s over the last few weeks.
    prison officer exams were on in Limerick saturday 8th in LIT. There was exams morning and evenning.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

i did mine last saturday

AND??? How did it go?

I've mine on 19th Nov.. Doing the one dayer this sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

not being funny here, but what did he mean by screws? what is it a slang word for?

Screw is a word used by people of lesser standing describing Prison officers. Its a very derogatory term .It comes from a time when a prisoners only activity was to wind a machine up by hand . This machine served no purpose only to have prisoners wind the handle. when the spring inside the machine became loose the Prison Officer would be called to tighten the screw that wound the machine giving rise to the term "turnscrew".This in turn was shortened over time to "screw".

• Advertisement

newballsplease , Great to hear from you so soon.Did everything go as well as you expected .Were the visual and procedural tests similiar to the samples given in the familiarisation booklet.Were there many sitting the exam in your location?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

480905 wrote: »
    Screw is a word used by people of lesser standing describing Prison officers. Its a very derogatory term .It comes from a time when a prisoners only activity was to wind a machine up by hand . This machine served no purpose only to have prisoners wind the handle. when the spring inside the machine became loose the Prison Officer would be called to tighten the screw that wound the machine giving rise to the term "turnscrew".This in turn was shortened over time to "screw".

Christ I didn't know that.

Cheers 480905

newballsplease , Great to hear from you so soon.Did everything go as well as you expected .Were the visual and procedural tests similiar to the samples given in the familiarisation booklet.Were there many sitting the exam in your location?
    yea there was a good crowd, around 100 i think,alot of people tho didnt turn up... the picture in the familirisation booklet is tiny compared to the real exam, alot more detail, plus the second part. ie. in the 2nd part, the clothing stock form, there are 8 things like quantity and latest delivery, in the real exam there is something like 28......
    also for a bit of advice, in the first part, when you et the picture(for 3 minutes) keep lookin at it, and when they take it away from you, KEEP MEMORISING IT. ie dont be looking around you or messing with your pencil or something, i know this sounds obvious but them 3 minutes go quick and 2 rounds of questions depend on it.

newballsplease,thanks for the advice.It sounds like you were on top of it.Was time factor a problem,did you have enough time to do all the questions.:confused:

newballsplease,thanks for the advice.It sounds like you were on top of it.Was time factor a problem,did you have enough time to do all the questions.:confused:

to be honest, i didnt think the time factor was a problem, although , they dont give you a warning for like 1 minute left etc? you get me? time factor wasnt to bad really...compared to,lets say the civil sevice exam.

i dont know what else i can say tbh.....
    just thinking to myself, i was wondering, are you better not marking an answer if ur not 100% sure, because they deduct marks for wrong ans. you find yourself doubting yourself.... ul know what i mean when you do the exam....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lakes

Did exam today in portlaoise, found the visual exam tricky but the other part was fine! i didnt have enough time to study the pic for the visual!! its done now anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

lakes wrote: »
    Did exam today in portlaoise, found the visual exam tricky but the other part was fine! i didnt have enough time to study the pic for the visual!! its done now anyway:D

Hey man,

I was down in portlaoise aswell today, was yours at 9am??

What u think of it? I know i messed up on 1 or 2 questions in the second test, didnt have enough time to go back and fix them either! lol

00blaine00,whats done is done.remember there is no pass or failure,its done on percentile,so things might not be as bad as you think.Was there more information in the picture than you thought or were the questions more difficult than you thought.?

newballsplease,thanks for reply again ,i know exactly what you mean about doubting yourself .Im questioning myself already and i didnt sit exam yet.:rolleyes:

00blaine00,whats done is done.remember there is no pass or failure,its done on percentile,so things might not be as bad as you think.Was there more information in the picture than you thought or were the questions more difficult than you thought.?

I knew the picture would be more detailed, they gave us a pic of a hospital ward, which was very detailed.

They also don't give you any warning about the time thats left, all of a sudden someone shouts "stop" and thats it, but time wasn't really a problem for me so shouldn't be for you either.

Also, I realized that there is SO many people going for this that it would make you doubt yourself.... :/

• Advertisement

00blaine00 did you do the one day pretest before your test today.did you find it any help?

00blaine00 did you do the one day pretest before your test today.did you find it any help?

No I didnt do it,

To be honest NOBODY has the upper hand goin in, even if you did the prep test you still don't know what questions will be asked, what picture you'll get...

I thought it was a very fair test!

I got to go now ,doing a judo grading tonight.Hope i dont break any fingers cause itll take me ages to type with one finger.cheers for all the helpful info .

I got to go now ,doing a judo grading tonight.Hope i dont break any fingers cause itll take me ages to type with one finger.cheers for all the helpful info .

No bother, good luck when u do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lakes

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Hey man,

I was down in portlaoise aswell today, was yours at 9am??

What u think of it? I know i messed up on 1 or 2 questions in the second test, didnt have enough time to go back and fix them either! lol

ya my exam was at 9, messed up in 1 or 2 questions im sure but wats done is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Also, I realized that there is SO many people going for this that it would make you doubt yourself.... :/[/quote]

Hi all,

Did my prep course yesterday, thought it was well worth the money, and although i don't know what will come up, they gave us alot of sample questions with plenty of detail in them, also gave us a test thats currently used for promotion within the service, if nothing else it gave me confidence, as many questions i got right,

Also the company doing this prep course said only 3,500 people apllied??, as it was'nt that well publicised by the civil service, i only found out when my future father in-law told me( he's a serving officer), and i was looking out for it!!, anyway have test wednesday, should be ok

Cheers

3,500??? is that all?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Lads those of you who have done the test did you find you manged to get all the procedure questions done on time?

Lads those of you who have done the test did you find you manged to get all the procedure questions done on time?

i got all questions answered. didnt find time to much of a problem tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Have my own exam tomorrow, those of you who have done the test already during the procedure test part A are you able to underline the text or write on the question sheet? Do the examiners clamp down on this?

Advertisement