Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

hows it going man what stage have you passed if you d,ont mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

tommy57 wrote: »
    hows it going man what stage have you passed if you d,ont mind me asking

Not going too bad, got through the aptitude, came in the low 300's, was happy enough with that, had just came back from holidays the night before the exam, still a bit worse for wear! Hope that they do proceed with this campaign, because work is getting scarce, however with my placing I am expecting to wait between 1 1/2 and 2 years if they call me at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

Garryd wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Done my physical fitness test for the prison officers recently. For those of you curious about it here are the details.
    The first part of it consists of 7 x 15 meter shuttle runs ie running from one point to another and back again. This must be done in under 35 seconds. The next part is the weights/resistance training which is in 3 parts.Pushing pulling and pushing with your legs. On each you have 3 practise goes and then 5 measured ones and machine takes an average on each. The next part is the fire extingusher run. 2 x 15 meter shuttles with a 14kg fire extingusher in under 30 seconds. This is the easiest part.
    Next is the riot shield hold test. Its about 6kgs and must be held above your head at a 45 degree angle with your hands away from the body for a minute.
    Last part is 40 x 15 meter shuttle runs in under 3 min 30 seconds. Not easy this but pick a pace that suits you. Its roughly 9 seconds per shuttle to pass I think.
    There is no execeptions on the times. They are strictly stuck too by the testers who are not affiliated to the prison service.
    Hope this helps anyone going to do this fitness test.
    best of luck.

thanks for post Garryd.
    a few silly questions for you.
    The shuttle runs 105 metre and 600 metre are they done in doors or on grass ?
    The runs do you turn round and run back or do you actually run backward ?
    Thanks for your post Garryd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Hey dropsey.
    The physical test is carried out indoors and the running part of it is in a forward direction. Hope this helps you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SETANTA05

dropsey wrote: »
    thanks for post Garryd.
    a few silly questions for you.
    The shuttle runs 105 metre and 600 metre are they done in doors or on grass ?
    The runs do you turn round and run back or do you actually run backward ?
    Thanks for your post Garryd.

Train for the 600m run cos if you can do that then the others will be easy.
    its 40 shuttles of 15 metres in 3min30 sec so it is something even people who are active should prepare for.
    a friend of mine who passed the physical late last year used to practise by running from the penalty spot to the goal line and back on the local football pitch.(might be an option for some)
    i joined a gym to train for it even though the physical probably wont be till next autumn, if this year at all.
    buy a grip strengthener thingie like this
    they're cheap enough with 2 for around €10 in any martial arts shop or fitness place or less online.

• Advertisement

Or just buy a tennis ball for like 50 cent and sqeeze that instead!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

Anyone heard anything from the prison service or public jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

Well lads anyone doing the fitness test March 20th?Do you get the result pass or fail straight after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

Recruit po: I haven't heard a word, I'm going to send an email this week but chances are all I'll get back are the same as the other lads replies. Scatman81: You're in the 2007 panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

Scatman81 wrote: »
    Well lads anyone doing the fitness test March 20th?Do you get the result pass or fail straight after?

no man,i c,ant even get cleared never mind a fitness test ,but to all that are doing it best of luck and let us know how you get on :)

• Advertisement

360ts wrote: »
    Recruit po: I haven't heard a word, I'm going to send an email this week but chances are all I'll get back are the same as the other lads replies. Scatman81: You're in the 2007 panel?
    I think there is another wait after the physical test.I rang the PS and the woman in HR was very helpful but couldnt say how long.As for the 08 panel i havent a clue which are you on?

I'm on the 2008 panel, haven't even been called for an interview.

I'll probably be old, feeble and gray by the time I get called for a medical.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

thinking of heading to oz for a bit with a bit of luck when i get back the interviews might be starting it's so hard not knowing what's going on and having to wait around and put things on hold knowing my luck if i book a flight i'll be called or probably the day i land there

Heading to Oz myself in May ill have everything passed then so at least ill have something to come back to however long the wait is then.Id say the 08 panel will their interviews in 09 they wouldnt have started the panel if there was no need for recruits hang in there:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blanchlad88

hey all,i hav my pct on the 20th and was wondering if ther will be much of a wait at all after that??as thats the last thing i have yet to do.

hey all,i hav my pct on the 20th and was wondering if ther will be much of a wait at all after that??as thats the last thing i have yet to do.
    Same as myself lad id be hoping before the end of 2009?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

hi lads new to this..I have my physical this friday coming,,starting to panic...does..so if i pass do i that it that i'm in...and how long do u hav to wait b4 u hear any thing back

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Hey all, anyone hear anything about interviews for the 08 competition yet?

hey cmc2009,
    Which campaign are you? 2007 or 2008?

I think its the 2007..i,ve had a long one when i did the medical. my bmi was over 30.so i had to go see a doctor in the prison service, to c if i was health enough to do the physical..so i was supposed to do a thing called a chester step fitness test. she asked me to come back in 3 months..after i got my self active.. which i did and came back wit a much lower bmi...didnt hav to do the chester step test...got a letter a few weeks later telling me to go and do the pct...so i've had it tough:):mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Got a letter from PAS today and it says "we are not making any specific arrangements for Stage II". So now we're no better informed but at least PAS have acknowledged that we are waiting on this and have kindly written to us to tell us to wait. They're great aren't they!

Got the same letter, I assume everyone did.

Well, that's that I suppose. This thread is going to be fairly quiet for awhile I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

forgive my ignorance but whats a pct, i'm in 2008 campaign and obviously dont know as much as i thought i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

PCT = Physical Competency Test

Welcome to the boards.ie!!!!

Always nice to see new members

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

TheNog wrote: »
    PCT = Physical Competency Test

Welcome to the boards.ie!!!!

Always nice to see new members

MMMMMM the force is strong in this one obi wan . . . . . . . Good to see you back Nog.You've been very Quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

480905 wrote: »
    MMMMMM the force is strong in this one obi wan . . . . . . . Good to see you back Nog.You've been very Quiet.
    keeping the head down ye know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blanchlad88

my pct is on the 20th,wonder if id be lucky to get in before the end of summer?with a lot ppl retiring early i was wondering if anybody has heard wat the craic is?any1 the same as me?

done my pct today turned out not to be as bad as i thought...few people failed it on the run at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SETANTA05

cmc2009 wrote: »
    done my pct today turned out not to be as bad as i thought...few people failed it on the run at the end

congrats dude.
    friend of mine passed it last november/december and is still waiting to be called up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

congrats mate,

Jesus, waiting all that lent of time and then to fail it on the run is crazy, infact plain stupid, why wouldnt anyone prepare for this test? ITS THE LAST PART AND YOUR IN!

madness!

well done to all who passed.

Advertisement