Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I did mine today, I found the timing a bit of a B-itch, Could have done with a one-two minute warning..Didn't get to answer three questions,So I Don't Know what will happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

LoanShark wrote: »
    I did mine today, I found the timing a bit of a B-itch, Could have done with a one-two minute warning..Didn't get to answer three questions,So I Don't Know what will happen..

Not doing 3 questions out of the whole test is not bad? Test wasnt to bad felt the time as well but didnt think I done great with the procedure test part c.

How did the rest of you punters fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I kinda hoping that the three I missed, Wont be the issue.. Its that I got all the others correct..Anyhow,I can't change anything about it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Hi all

did test, yeah time was a factor, went in thinking because you get negitive marking for wrong answers, there were questions i left blank because i just didnt know the answers therefore you wont get deducted, bit risky, but think on the people who knew time was almost up and just marked any answer to get it finished, thats my theory anyway, missed about four questions in total,

Hope i did enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Frankdtank

Did the Aptitude test yesterday aswell found the familiarisation part hard to be honest and left any answers i wasn't sure of blank. Thought the
    procedural was alright but again was stuck for time. The three minutes for the familiarisation part A goes very quick especially when so much of the test depends on this. But sure everyone is in the same boat overall its tough but fair.

• Advertisement

frankdtank:

Yeah mate everyone in the same boat, and im sure many others didnt finish, i mean i heard many people say that they were glad to finish it all, but finishing all the questions means s.f.a, i was speaking to a friend of mine, i explained what i did( left 2 questions blank cos i didnt know the answers and i ran out of time on 2 or 3 other questions, but i said to him u have nothing to loose by not answering questions you simply dont know the answer to, but if you do answer and get them wrong you will loose marks

that was my approach to it anyway, also i was expecting the test centre to be jammed yesterday, wonder if people just didnt turn up?.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Hey all,
    I done my aptitude test two weeks ago. There was a good few empty seats around alright. I contacted public jobs about the number of people going for recruit prison officer and number of places available and she replied with
    "The total number of candidates that applied is 3345 as of yet we don’t have any dates scheduled for interview we are waiting on the Irish Prison Service to get back to us."

Take the 3345 that applied and the number that didn't turn up, you could be looking at less than 3000 in the competition.
    Last time they interviewed 2000 so everyone seems to be in with a good chance.
    Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 29 salut

To all candiates ,glad to hear im not the only one who did s%£t in this test.im the opposite to some i found the pictures ok and any ones i didnt know blank.The procederial tests i found i just could not understand the questions and had to re read them to understand them.I honestly think i done crap .Anyway lets wait till dec to see.good luck to all !!

Yeah PO Candidiate I was very suprised with the number at the test but only 3750. I suppose the lack of advertising may have caught out a few people who may have applied. From this number im sure there would have been quite a few who couldn't or didn't bother turn up. Im sure to get the best candidiates they will invite quite a few for interview, when that is may be a different story but id feel more confident now anyway of getting an interview than I did when I heard 60000 had applied for in or around 100 places. Will have to just wait and see.

yeah, jesus had i known for sure 60,000 people applied i don't think i would have wasted my time and effort, but yeah feel good bout test and the low numbers turn out should work in our favour,
    Apparently upto 1,ooo officers could retire by the middle of next year, heard that from many people inclueding some officers themselves, so plenty of positions up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Hi! :cool:

Just wondering, after you have waited to be called for testing, is recruitment fairly quick from then on? I just know the Garda process can be quite dragged out...Is it the same for PO?

Thanks y'all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

i-digress wrote: »
    Hi! :cool:

Just wondering, after you have waited to be called for testing, is recruitment fairly quick from then on? I just know the Garda process can be quite dragged out...Is it the same for PO?

Thanks y'all :D

Depends, I heard some people were waiting up to a year!

yeah apparently its a very drawn out process, depending on where you come in the test, if you come first, then you get interviewed first so some may not be waiting too long, couple of months maybe, anyone who comes somewhere in the 1,000s maybe waiting for a year or more which is a pain in the butt, its based on order of merit so its very fair,

This is what i've been told anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

yeah apparently its a very drawn out process, depending on where you come in the test, if you come first, then you get interviewed first so some may not be waiting too long, couple of months maybe, anyone who comes somewhere in the 1,000s maybe waiting for a year or more which is a pain in the butt, its based on order of merit so its very fair,

This is what i've been told anyway

I was talkin to a few of the lads when I was up in portlaoise doin the test, one guy said he came 115th last year but didn't pass the interview... Alot of them up there had trades but couldnt find work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

When do we hear about the results of the tests?

Week commencing the 15th of December the results are out. Will be interesting to see how many will eventually get called for interview. Anybody have an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 salut

hi all ,cant wait my self,it will be a good christmas pressent but i really dont know if i passed or not .i will let you all kknow in dec .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ildiaolo

dropsey wrote: »
    U seem to know what u are talking about. It seems crazy they would start a new recruitment campaign unless there was jobs to be filled.
    I was told by a senior member of civil service that there is 80 recruits to start training in november.The panel from 2007 recruitment has not been scrapped.
    Hi Dropsey you seem to know a lot about the prison officer recruitment. I did the test for the 2007 campaign got a letter in September to fill out the app for stage 2, haven’t heard anything back from them since? Maybe you could fill me in on whats going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

results are out; got mine today.

how many people went for this exam does anyone now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dcharkin

Hi i got my results today, 519 - it says i have passed the first stage and im number 519, is that good or bad, what are the chances of me being called! Anyone else got their results???

• Advertisement

Hi i got my results today, check yours maybe yours came in too, im number 519, dont know if that is good or bad!!!!

i got 296, says feb before anything done.

Do you know how many people done the exam, im a bit disappointed with my result, are you happy with yours?

well its hard to know . im happy enough with mine, i think. you should be with yours aswell, i think i heard around 3,000-4,000 applied for it.not sure tho.

Thanks, fingers crossed so!(",)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ildiaolo

dcharkin wrote: »
    Hi i got my results today, check yours maybe yours came in too, im number 519, dont know if that is good or bad!!!!
    Hi dcharkin, you will be placed on a panel on order of merit as vacancies arise in the prison service you will be called up for stage two. I did my exam in last year and only been called to fill out stage two app.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tod1577

Hi Guys,

Got result today of tests,I see one of you got 296,I also got 296,just wondering would there have being a mistake or is there different groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭NDM

Hi all,

havent posted in a while but logged on to publicjobs today to see what the craic was..lo and behold theres the test results..i placed 271 which im happy and not happy with if ye get me...i mean 271 out of circa 3500 isnt bad i guess but at the same time guess it means ya could be waiting longer to be called..i am right in saying that amnt i?

anyway well done to everyone and i wish everyone the best!!

God bless us all and Merry Christmas!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 luceylou

PERFECTLY NORMAL TO GET THE SAME AS SOMEONE ELSE, JUST MEANS YE GOT THE SAME MARK. I GOT MY RESULTS THIS MORNING, PLACED 67 BUT THEIR ONLY CALLING THE FIRST 60 FOR INTERVIEW IN FEBUARY. IVE BEEN TOLD THAT ABOUT 4000 SAT THE EXAM. EVERYONE PLACED AFTER 60 WILL BE PLACED ON A PANEL, AND ID SAY IT WILL BE A LONG WAIT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Says 0-60 will be called in Feb, the rest after "from time to time having regard to the recruitment needs of the Irish Prison Service."
    Did anyone make the elusive 0-60??

Advertisement