Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

Didn't think of it to be honest, but have two small kids at home. Think the wife would kill me if I did.
    Might look into it though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

the way things are over here ,your looking at long term unemployment and the goverment seem to have given up. alot of people are going to have to start looking at some drastic solutions. the likes of moving abroad, just like the 80s.its where to go though ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

tommy57 wrote: »
    not being funny but has anyone looked into joining the english or scottish prison service they are always recruiting.big step though ! any comments

They usually require you to be resident in the UK for 3 years prior to applying. They can waive this but it is assesed on an individual basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Not for me, i have family here and thankfully im still working, but i think there would be alot of resistance to any foreign national going their to find work, sure their protesting about that now, and This recession is not unique to ireland this is a global recession ok ireland's situation is bad alright but the opputunities are poor everywhere,

Goodluck to anyone who decides to go over im goina stick around and wait for the irish prison service even if it takes awhile.

cheers

no you d,ont anymore once your a member of an eu country you can apply.at least it would,nt take as long as it does for the irish prison service which is a joke how long it goes on

• Advertisement

no you d,ont anymore once your a member of an eu country you can apply.at least it would,nt take as long as it does for the irish prison service which is a joke how long it goes on
    tommy57
    Well looking at your previous posts you are waiting along time, but your in the last stages just hang on in there and you will get called, im in 08' campaign and i knew it was along process but im just goina do some courses that will help me @ interview stage and in the job itself, might as well while im waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

think it'll be worth waiting for the irish prison officer if i get in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet about their interview? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

tommy57
    Well looking at your previous posts you are waiting along time, but your in the last stages just hang on in there and you will get called, im in 08' campaign and i knew it was along process but im just goina do some courses that will help me @ interview stage and in the job itself, might as well while im waiting
    ''Career services''do a good course on the interview i found it v good a little expensive but good.A friend of mine organised for me to get a tour of my nearest prison.They were impressed when i talked about it in the interview so thats something you could do.Every prison has a liason officer who could help you.Im waiting for the physical test whenever they decide to have it:confused:

not being funny but has anyone looked into joining the english or scottish prison service they are always recruiting.big step though ! any comments
    We might as well Tommy we will nearly be retirement age by the time rpo comes up for us:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

I was talking to a PO (friend of a friend) last week. Unfortunately, he said that he can't see any new recruits being taken on this year. He said to just wait, do something constructive in the meantime and when it does come around again they'll still use the current panel.

Sorry lads, we're all in the same boat! (I really, really, really hope that he's wrong though):D

well then why d,ont they just tell people instead of all this bull***t

it depends who you ask, ive spoken to people within the service and say they will, its hard to know but the very least you would think that the retirements would be replaced out of need,

whats the age limit anyway?

age limits 35 man though i think if you have special skills you can get in .not to sure though

If you knew when the interview date or physical test date was then at least you could plan around it.Surely one of us knows someone in that area of recruitment who could give us some info.There are enough of us at the same stage?

thats the thing scatman they d,ont seem to know themselves,we,re just gonna have to sit tight and hope it comes up in the next few years !:mad:
    alot of rumours floating about ,but without this forum none of us would have a .clue what was going on. but you can see people are beginning to lose interest now,because of the big wait.

also how long does or medical last for 6 months or a year ,alot of people for the guards have to redo theirs cause of the wait

jesus d thought of waiting years, i knew it would be awhile alrite, like a year, a year and half at a push, from start to finish, im in 08 campaign, i'd be happy with the interview within 2009 and then waiting for next stage after that, atleast thats progress,very slow progress but still, and if it does'nt go ahead this year, will they keep the 0'7 and 0'8 panels? does anyone know?

i,d imagine they would it would cost a few quid i,d say to run another campaign

Do they have to use the panels or can someone switch departments in the public service?Aren't they trying to increase efficency and change their jobs?

• Advertisement

you could,nt just transfer and be a prison officer and it would,nt be most peoples cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

here's one for the crowd. . . .I know of a man who applied for the Prison Service thru the normal channels and heard nothing. . . . . then he got an email asking him why he never turned up for his exam and asked him for feedback on his application process and that he could apply for the next competition when it came up. Anybody got any ideas on this?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

That sucks. He must be majorly pissed off. Did he reply and ask what the hell went wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kierei18

hey all

im just wondering about the recruitment campaign. I placed 301 in order of merit and just wondering is there any chance of getting interview this year. heard nothing back since i got the aptitude test feedback results. It seems to be very drawn out. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Kierei18 wrote: »
    hey all

im just wondering about the recruitment campaign. I placed 301 in order of merit and just wondering is there any chance of getting interview this year. heard nothing back since i got the aptitude test feedback results. It seems to be very drawn out. Cheers.

There are 5 or 6 on here including myself who placed in the top 60 and are in the first round but are still waiting to hear bout interviews. I rang PAS and they said that we'd hear within the first qaurter of the year. So i wouldn't hold out much hope for an interview in 09.

Was onto PAS again there and the lady there said that tho 07 campaign is closed and that no more people will be called for interview from that. So we know now why they ran a new campaign. She also said that they haven't heard from the prison service on when interviews will be held.

And the prison service know nothing about it and told me to contact PAS.

it sounds to me like their just passing the book now and are fed up answering people over the recruitment. maybe if they told people what was going on they would,nt be ringing up "annoying" them !:D

Hi lads

This is the email i recieved from irish prison service yesterday, after i asked bout getting an interview in 09,

email

I'm afraid that it is impossible to say whether the 2008 competition will be moving forward this year.
    The competition is being run by the Public Appointments Service on behalf of the Irish Prison Service, and we would have no involvement in the competition until a candidate has passed their interview. At which point their details are sent over to us and we proceed with their application.
    What I would say is that it would be unlikely that we will have anyone from the 2008 competition starting with us in 2009 as we still have a large group of candidates from the 2007 competition, waiting to start.
    What I would recommend you do is contact the public appointment service and ask them whether you will be interviewed in 2009.
    You can ring 01 858 7400 and ask for Prison Officer Recruitment.
    Sorry I can't be more specific but I just don't have any more information.

Regards,
    Irish Prison Service

that says it all really ! AT least someone got a straight answer at last

its a pain in the a**e, but hopefully you 2007 lads will be called this year to start training, and 2008 lads(like me) will be interviewed, was suprised i got an answer all be it a mixed one but still, i think publicjobs are the ones we should be chasing for those of us waiting for interview

And for anyone waiting for medical, physical or to start training, i can give you the guy's name who replyed to me, thru private message, was quick reply and chap was honest so mite be worth emailing with your specific info to see what the story is!

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Hi,

Am new to boards.ie, some really useful information here, I have a relation who is a Prision Officer, I have been told that alot of PO's are been encouraged to take the retirement option this year, even more than other years, as it will leave them finacially in a better position than hanging on, this might be a ploy by the service to reduce the wage costs over time, which is more cost effective? Officers on a high wage or a bunch of recruits starting out,

Also a new remand center has opened in a prision in the Midlands and this has drawn in 40 Officers from other prisions so there is an ongoing need for new PO.

Have passed the first stage myself, and am knuckling down for a long wait!! for the next stage,

Also heard that there is a delay in getting the recruitment underway, the old story, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing!! the usual problem with civil service, nobody to make a decision. A bit like B.Cowen:D

Advertisement