Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

also got mine today and AC was early june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Thanks lads - bears out what we have been hearing , namely that meds are being offered with reference to when you did your AC - means that some people still have a bit of a wait then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 furrywall1

Hi all

I see postman Pat has been a busy man.

I also got my medical date :D - (A/C start of June)

I think this does seem to suggest that medical dates are being sent out in relation to when A/C was attended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wanball

Hi there,

I did my ac very start of June, did my medical last week, and got notice yesterday that I passed! :)

Good luck to all that are going to it in the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

a fella i work with, he doesnt get to post on her too often, received his med invite yesterday, he did his a/c mid june i believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 zzz101z

Hey ves, I do post sometimes... yeah did ac then. Hair may not be up to the length needed as I'm a co*k and just got it cut last week. Just have to hope and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

zzz101z wrote: »
    Hey ves, I do post sometimes... yeah did ac then. Hair may not be up to the length needed as I'm a co*k and just got it cut last week. Just have to hope and see.

As long as your not talking about armpit hair you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

oh your that alright! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

delancey42 wrote: »
    Thanks lads - bears out what we have been hearing , namely that meds are being offered with reference to when you did your AC - means that some people still have a bit of a wait then :rolleyes:

Great :( I was one of the last to do the AC's in July.

What is the acceptable bmi ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

There isn't really an acceptable BMI - they do a body fat percentage test if your BMI is up. As for what the acceptable body fat percentage is, anybody's guess.

BMI over 30 is an issue and although not an automatic fail the chances of failing are greatly increased.
    If your BMI is over 30 they will do a % body fat test and I understand that unless you are a seriously muscular person you will fail that and if in the opinion of the Dr you are obese then you fail the medical.

BMI is important - keep it under 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Yeah just got word I'd failed my medical on bmi, the letter mentions an appeal and then thats it finito. bmi was around 31

Yeah just got word I'd failed my medical on bmi, the letter mentions an appeal and then thats it finito. bmi was around 31

Thanks I'm fairly build but my bmi is 31 ATM
    And it's only 1/2 st to get me under 30 so il play safe and try and drop my weight within 2weeks :( wish me luck lol

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

My BMI was well over 30 (191cm 115kg) and I passed granted I would be classed as 'seriously muscular'. I was worried I would have to do one of the wee phyical. The nurse and Dr did not even comment on it.

You can easily shed a stone or so in a week or two. Low GI diet, some cardio also limit salt and sugar. Salt in particularl makes you retain water.

I would guess that a BMI over 30 abut a bf % under 15 would be grand.

What's your thoughts on blood pressure, had mine done about a week ago and its pretty high

What was it out of curiosity? The lower number is the most important one.

Most peopl class 140/90 as mild hypertension and I assume this is what will fail you. You could be 140/89 or 139/90 and still pass I am sure.

Mine was high as I was so anxious in the hearing test and also for a job interview the very next day. The whole medical thiong had me a bit nervous.

What i did was go to my Dr the following 3 mornings. He took the readings in a relaxed enviroment and they were spot on. Wrote me a letter and I sent it off. I was getting it taken beforehand by my bro and bro-in-law and it was 100% spot on

The most simple ways to significantly lower your BP quickly is avoid all caffine and salt. You could try some breathing exercises also. Losing weight can lower BP also however not gonna lose a huge amount in 10 days.

But basically relax and try to breathe slowly when they take it and beforehand. Any more probs feel free to ask. I am not just an internet know-it-all, whilst I admit I am not a medical professional I have a basic knowledge.understanding of exercise/diet and physiology through my sport.

It was 155/89.. stopped caffeine, eating as little salt as poss and exercising most nights, I'm also overweight at 12.7 stone and 5ft4in (I was 13 stone last week.. diet diet diet)

That 155 can be dropped significantly just by breathing very slowly and relaxing. The 89 is not ideal but if you got that down a point or two you would be good to go.

Don't forget fizzy drinks contain caffine. And soluble painkillers such as co-codamol contain a lot of salt.

When was your medical?

Also both tea and coffee contain caffine. Basically all processed meats and tins of food contain salt. e.g Spagetti 'n' Sausages, beans, some soup etc.

Eat low GI carbs, lean meat such a chicken and turkey and plenty of fruit and veh and you will be good. Beetroot juice is also said to lower your BP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Seems strange that there was no mention of an appeal.

My BP was done a few weeks ago and at 100/80 was described as '' a bit low '' :eek:
    155/89 is quite high and the rule of thumb is 140/90 is the maximum normal pressure should be.

1986j wrote: »
    That 155 can be dropped significantly just by breathing very slowly and relaxing. The 89 is not ideal but if you got that down a point or two you would be good to go.

Don't forget fizzy drinks contain caffine. And soluble painkillers such as co-codamol contain a lot of salt.

When was your medical?
    My medicals in just over a week. Didn't think about the salt in tablets, talk about hidden.

Heard about the beetroot thing but I can't stand it, makes me shout europe at the sink.
    Also my heartbeat was at 51bpm, which I hear is very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

What's the beetroot thing??!

anay75 wrote: »
    What's the beetroot thing??!
    Beetroots supposed to lower your blood pressure. Something to do with nitrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 here's hoping

May i ask how much notice you get for the medical - a month or just a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

May i ask how much notice you get for the medical - a month or just a few weeks?

I got around 2 weeks' notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 here's hoping

I got around 2 week's notice.

thanks for that,

what happens if you can't make your time? will they change it or is that it? very hard to get time off work

Beetroots supposed to lower your blood pressure. Something to do with nitrates.

Garlic is supposed to help too, and so is Co-enzyme Q10, but I don't know how long you need to take it for it to take effect. Stay away from liquorice though, it supposed to raise it.

• Advertisement

thanks for that,

what happens if you can't make your time? will they change it or is that it? very hard to get time off work

I don't really know. I think they're not too keen on changing it. I don't have my letter, but there may have been something on it about it not being possible to reschedule. You will get a few weeks' notice anyway as you need to get it signed off by your GP, so hopefully it would give enough time to book a day off work. Would you even be able to get a morning or afternoon off?

Advertisement