Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

My medical is less than 3 weeks away.

Can you give us a breakdown generally of what happens etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

It was fine. I was nervous because of my dodgy ear!

I gave a urine sample.

Got height and weight measured.

Did eyesight tests.

Lung capacity.

Hearing test, when I came out of the booth I had a look at my results on the screen and I think they're ok but I'll wait for the pass letter!)

Then saw doctor. Did flexibility tests and answered some questions about my ear.

Then as I'm thin on top I got most of my airpit hair chopped off for the drugs test!

All in all I'm happy and relieved that it's over. Everyone was very pleasant. Mine took 2 hours though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

My medical is imminent but I'm really worrying about but do
    They actually look beyond the answers on the questionnaire to see if it's a problem? My previous experience would
    Suggest not...........feels like I'm walking the green mile!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

My medical is imminent but I'm really worrying or anything but do
    They actually look beyond the answers on the questionnaire to see if it's a problem? My previous experience would
    Suggest not...........feels like I'm walking the green mile!!

I know it's hard to, but try not to stress too much.

I think we all have something we will be worried about, nobody is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kc29

psni a quick question.

I have mild depression. I take medication for this. I have never needed any time off work nor does it affect me in any serious way from day to day. Is this an automatic fail in the medical or will the fact that I can go about my daily business both work and personally be taken into account?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

As I understand it, you have to be off depression medication for a year prior to your application (it might have changed, but last I heard it was a year). The simple reason is: They give you a gun.
    kc29 wrote: »
    psni a quick question.

I have mild depression. I take medication for this. I have never needed any time off work nor does it affect me in any serious way from day to day. Is this an automatic fail in the medical or will the fact that I can go about my daily business both work and personally be taken into account?

psni wrote: »
    As I understand it, you have to be off depression medication for a year prior to your application (it might have changed, but last I heard it was a year). The simple reason is: They give you a gun.

cheers for that. At least I know not to waste any more time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

kc29 wrote: »
    cheers for that. At least I know not to waste any more time.

Hold on! Don't take my word for it. That's just an "as I understand it" statement. You'd be better off to ring OHW for the official word on 02890 650222 just to confirm.

Hold on! Don't take my word for it. That's just an "as I understand it" statement. You'd be better off to ring OHW for the official word on 02890 650222 just to confirm.

I know its a bit mad.
    Ive been round guns for years, rifles and shotguns and havent had any desire to do anything to myself or anyone else yet. ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

Just finished my medical........ I only fookin passed!!! Have to say the staff up ohw are all awesome!

Now just back to the waiting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Yeah, a lot of people comment on how nice the OHW staff are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 savi

psni - i am going to get eye surgery to ensure i get through the medical. my appointment is about 2 or 3 weeks away. i have passed my AC. if i was to get vetting / medical - how much notice would you get ?
    do you have to be vetted before being offered a medical ?

I honestly don't think you're going to get called to a medical any time soon. You usually get around a month's notification.

There doesn't seem to by any pattern to the Vetting/Medical part of the process, as people have received vetting papers before medical dates, and vice versa.
    savi wrote: »
    psni - i am going to get eye surgery to ensure i get through the medical. my appointment is about 2 or 3 weeks away. i have passed my AC. if i was to get vetting / medical - how much notice would you get ?
    do you have to be vetted before being offered a medical ?

Do they take blood pressure?

I was sure I seen it or read it before but it was not in my medical letter pack?

Basically my bro is a nurse and took mine and said that whilst it was still ok"ok" it was a little high for someone my age. I am 24. High Normal he said.

Time to lay off all coffee, caffine, pre workout supps and do a bit of cardio exercise as well as increasing my sleep. I am sure that this can be dropped very quickly.

Absolutely they take Blood Pressure readings - one of the first things they do.

Was not sure as it was not down in the booklet.

Appreciate speedy reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kellyhud

I rang OHW this morning, wanted to ask something about the medical (jumping the gun a bit as I'm only getting vetted but put my mind at rest anyway) the guy went on to say he got an email this morning from OCC (pretty sure he said OCC) saying the current freeze is only effecting new applicants and not the applicants that are in the system now. I mentioned this website and our campaign and said I definitely thought it effected us but he disagreed and said this is what the email stated...thought I would share that, anyone heard any different feel free to share!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jay_Man

Sounds promising..

What does he mean by new applicants though. Sure everyone is already in the system is from the current campaign?? As for new applicants there will be none as there is no future date for recruiting until the freeze is over??

Yeh sorry I meant new applicants being effected as in those who were wanting to apply in future, I repeated myself a couple of times to him to be sure and he said that they are going ahead with our campaign and dealing with us as we are in the system now. Hope it's true, but who knows :)

It certainly is nice to believe , though Kellyhud your caution is correct. The only thing I will believe 100% is something from Matt Baggott or David Forde that is said on the public record.
    Thanks for posting that information.

• Advertisement

Medical pass letter received today.

Thanks Kellyhud for the update. I really hope its true also..Time will tell I guess B->

Congrats pma1983.. Just out of curiousity - roughly when did you do you a/c and how long after sending back vetting did you get a medical appointment? My a/c was in middle of june so thinking I'm in for a bit of a wait. Sent vetting back last week!

Thanks, Jay.

pma1983 wrote: »
    Medical pass letter received today.

Great news PMA - and after all that worry about hearing.....
    Congratulations.

Jay_Man wrote: »
    Thanks Kellyhud for the update. I really hope its true also..Time will tell I guess B->

Congrats pma1983.. Just out of curiousity - roughly when did you do you a/c and how long after sending back vetting did you get a medical appointment? My a/c was in middle of june so thinking I'm in for a bit of a wait. Sent vetting back last week!

Thanks, Jay.

Thanks Jay! Did a/c 11th May. Sent vetting off a few days before getting medical date.

I asked the exact same question which psni answered for me..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055957333&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

pma1983 wrote: »
    Thanks Del! Cheers for you help in trying to get me some answers about my hearing.

So I asked the guy who was chopping my armpit hair (very nice man) if my medical expires in a year and he said yes...so, why would they proceed with medicals if appointments were not imminent? :confused:

Relax John, It's all part of the miracle of cloning.

New applicants would be those who just applied from C16. Existing applicants would be those 'in the system' for one reason or another: Vetting from ROI, Medical Appeals, Deferrals etc.

Enough said.
    kellyhud wrote: »
    I rang OHW this morning, wanted to ask something about the medical (jumping the gun a bit as I'm only getting vetted but put my mind at rest anyway) the guy went on to say he got an email this morning from OCC (pretty sure he said OCC) saying the current freeze is only effecting new applicants and not the applicants that are in the system now. I mentioned this website and our campaign and said I definitely thought it effected us but he disagreed and said this is what the email stated...thought I would share that, anyone heard any different feel free to share!

New applicants would be those who just applied from C16. Existing applicants would be those 'in the system' for one reason or another: Vetting from ROI, Medical Appeals, Deferrals etc.

Enough said.

That's what I thought he meant at first, but he said our campaign was definitely going ahead, going by the email he got that morning. I said I was campaign 16 and had only sent vetting but he said the freeze wouldn't effect me only those who were wishing to apply in the future as I was already in the system I wouldn't be effected, went round in circles with him to make sure and he made it very clear that's what he meant. Though I know nothing is certain and I don't want to get my or anybody elses hopes up so just wait and see I suppose...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

kellyhud wrote: »
    That's what I thought he meant at first, but he said our campaign was definitely going ahead, going by the email he got that morning. I said I was campaign 16 and had only sent vetting but he said the freeze wouldn't effect me only those who were wishing to apply in the future as I was already in the system I wouldn't be effected, went round in circles with him to make sure and he made it very clear that's what he meant. Though I know nothing is certain and I don't want to get my or anybody elses hopes up so just wait and see I suppose...:)
    That's excellent news - if what he says is true - but maybe it was him that was confused and what PSNI is saying is right. I hope PSNI is wrong tho for all those people currently going through the vetting etc. It's good to be optimistic but caution is best here and I'd always put my money on PSNI!

• Advertisement

Jay_Man wrote: »
    I asked the exact same question which psni answered for me..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055957333&page=6

So is the guy at OHW wrong? Doubt it.

Advertisement