Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 here's hoping

I don't really know. I think they're not too keen on changing it. I don't have my letter, but there may have been something on it about it not being possible to reschedule. You will get a few weeks' notice anyway as you need to get it signed off by your GP, so hopefully it would give enough time to book a day off work. Would you even be able to get a morning or afternoon off?

I'll just have to work something out. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

I'll just have to work something out. Thanks

Call in sick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Call in sick :D

oh the irony!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

If needs be tell your boss you have an appointment with your Dr and it can't be rearranged as you are getting some tests done. It's true.

I got around 3 and a half weeks notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Tell your boss you have a court case :D

Seriously though - If I recall OHW really are not keen on rescheduling appointments and if they do you'll just end up with the same issue again , no such thing as weekend medicals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mahoney1

Anybody get dates for medical lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 zzz101z

I got about 2 weeks notice and have my med next week, im acually sitting im my doctors while I write this, waiting for him to check my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Apparently I'm being forwarded for a PCA due to my BMI - they didn't fail me because my body fat % was fine. Don't know why they need me to do this, the doctor at the medical didn't say anything about it. Anyway, has anyone done this? Looked at the PSNI website and it doesn't look too taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Thats interesting, I failed mine and never got offered the pca.
    http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers/careers_police_officer_recruitment/careers_training_and_probation.htm
    Any idea what i can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

Thats interesting, I failed mine and never got offered the pca.
    http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers/careers_police_officer_recruitment/careers_training_and_probation.htm
    Any idea what i can do?

What was your bmi ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

31 or 31 and a bit

notbrazil wrote: »
    Apparently I'm being forwarded for a PCA due to my BMI - they didn't fail me because my body fat % was fine. Don't know why they need me to do this, the doctor at the medical didn't say anything about it. Anyway, has anyone done this? Looked at the PSNI website and it doesn't look too taxing.

What was your BMI notbrazil ?

Has anyone passed whos over 30 except 1986 my bmi after 3 days has come into the 30 range and now its not long til my medical im not sure how much under 30 i can really go :S
    I dont mean this in a bad way but to the people failing do you reconsider yourself "fat" or look it enough to have a fail due to bmi but you dont look fat to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Perhaps the PCA was offered because of other factors such as balance or flexibility in relation to your BMI as well. Mayeb certain criteria such as previously bbroken bones, hernias and other things come into play also.

I think you have to appear overweight and your bf % has to be greater than 5% than the predicted max for that BMI.

It is possible to drop kilos in days. It is probaly not advisable as dehydration could affect other things on medical. Cutting out and sugar and going on a basic low GI diet of small portions can do wonders btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mk1234

I phoned up the other day and asked where i was on the list, i was told i was around the 1000 mark, well just slightly higher :( can anyone enlighten me to what this means? i take it its reli reli reli bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

I am at a similar place on I have a higher Merit Placing and am RC, no medical they have told me the vetting is ongoing

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

FAO Here's hoping (and anyone else wondering about the possibility of re-scheduling a medical)

Just found my medical letter. It basically says that you can request that your medical be rescheduled, providing you have evidence (photocopies of holiday tickets, rotas, etc), but they are under no obligation to provide you with another date. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 here's hoping

FAO Here's hoping (and anyone else wondering about the possibility of re-scheduling a medical)

Just found my medical letter. It basically says that you can request that your medical be rescheduled, providing you have evidence (photocopies of holiday tickets, rotas, etc), but they are under no obligation to provide you with another date. Hope that helps!

thanks for that - you're a wee star!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Zulu Yankee

I got referred to do the pca test which I did few weeks ago cos my bmi was LOW!!! 18!!! Am baffled cos can't find any standard that says skinnys fail on low bmi!!! Even the pt peeps were like y r u here? My question exactly!!! Grrr grr grr :mad:

18??!! Wow that is low , to my knowledge a BMI of under 20 is strictly speaking ,from a medical viewpoint, undesirable and that is why you had to do the PCA I guess.
    No reputable diet scheme is supposed to take people with a BMI of 18.
    Must be great being able to eat anything you want ;)

I hope the PCA went well ?

• Advertisement

delancey42 wrote: »
    18??!! Wow that is low , to my knowledge a BMI of under 20 is strictly speaking ,from a medical viewpoint, undesirable and that is why you had to do the PCA I guess.
    No reputable diet scheme is supposed to take people with a BMI of 18.
    Must be great being able to eat anything you want ;)

I hope the PCA went well ?[/QUOTE

Thanks delancy

Yep went ok i guess I'm a runner so got round it but struggled on the push pull...

I've been my weight for 12 years...don't aspire to be a size zero lol bit of a nitemare tho as I find it v hard to bulk up

ah well the pca results will tell all ....if they wud issue them!!!

how long after the failed letter did you have to go to the pca ?

Just 6 days!!!!!!but it took six weeks seriuosly to get fail lettter !!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

med forms in, coming up in next few weeks, ac in june, vetting forms off, 20 -30 merit,hope this helps people working out possible time lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

hey rookie do you mind me asking around what time in june did you do ac? ie, i did mine very late june and the last i had read on here it was early - mid june ac's getting med letters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

Just 6 days!!!!!!but it took six weeks seriuosly to get fail lettter !!!!:eek:

How did u get on with the push pull? I know a few girls that have struggled with it and one who failed and had to resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mal85

i had to have ,my medical resheduled for the 2nd time there, due to a chest infection, have to say the people up at medical have been very helpful & Polite

anay75 wrote: »
    How did u get on with the push pull? I know a few girls that have struggled with it and one who failed and had to resign.

Just heard today that I scraped thru and I mean scraped , I'm goina have to do some serious training , upper body.all my strength in my legs.they are concerned same will happen to me ie fail at g ville :o

Mal85 wrote: »
    i had to have ,my medical resheduled for the 2nd time there, due to a chest infection, have to say the people up at medical have been very helpful & Polite

Yeah , a lot of people comment on how nice the OHW folks are , very good of them to facilitate a second re-scheduling.

• Advertisement

Just heard today that I scraped thru and I mean scraped , I'm goina have to do some serious training , upper body.all my strength in my legs.they are concerned same will happen to me ie fail at g ville :o

Maybe you only scraped it but at least you passed so congratulations there , I have heard that the Push/Pull test always claims a victim or 2 ( usuallly female ) from each intake.
    P.S. Please avoid text speak :rolleyes:

Advertisement