Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Have PM'd you the contact details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

Candidates who passed the medical for last year's campaign and then were unsuccessful...would they then have to re-do it again this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

pma1983 wrote: »
    Candidates who passed the medical for last year's campaign and then were unsuccessful...would they then have to re-do it again this year?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

If you fail the medical because of ur BMI being too high, but you dont have the phyiscal shape or size of an obese person (sorry dont mean to offensive to anyone) and your physical shape and size is close to "normal" and you appear to have a decent bit of muscle clearly defineable, will u still fail?

what i've heard is you either fail or are required to take a seperate fitness test?
    If that is true could someone please state what this test consists of

http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/Physical.aspx

The above link shows what the physical test is.
    TBH the only sure way not to get caught out on BMI is to keep it under 30. You will hear stories of people who passed being over 30 but it would be unwise to assume that because your muscular you will pass- just my opinion of course :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

thank delancey

but is that the test you are required to do if you fail medical or the one u do if you get into garnerville? lol sorry im just unclear about it.

Thats what im worried about, i didnt mean to make out as if i was he-man lol. Its just that im a rugby player, so my legs and arms are quite muscular then theres this little belly on me :L so i was just wondering what the conditions were for someone to be offered this fitness test or if it even exists :)

That is the test you are offered if you fail the medical on BMI - it is also the test that all recruits must pass in Garnerville.

AFAIK if a candidate were seriously obese then they would be a straight fail whereas if they don't look too bad then they get the chance of the PCA test.

you've set my mind at rest
    thank you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 zzz101z

Hey there, new to the site. Just sent of my vetting forms last week. Anyone know timescales for the medical after the vetting forms? also, 5 yeas ago i ended up in hospital with a suspected heart-attack, after 3 days they told me i was fine, it wasn't a heat-atack and they had no idea what it was....while this affect me?

zzz101z wrote: »
    Hey there, new to the site. Just sent of my vetting forms last week. Anyone know timescales for the medical after the vetting forms? also, 5 yeas ago i ended up in hospital with a suspected heart-attack, after 3 days they told me i was fine, it wasn't a heat-atack and they had no idea what it was....while this affect me?

You have to disclose this as part of your medical history - given it was not a heart attack I can't see it being a huge issue though it would be nice to be able tell them what it really was. They may request more details about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

dixie33 wrote: »
    thank delancey

but is that the test you are required to do if you fail medical or the one u do if you get into garnerville? lol sorry im just unclear about it.

Thats what im worried about, i didnt mean to make out as if i was he-man lol. Its just that im a rugby player, so my legs and arms are quite muscular then theres this little belly on me :L so i was just wondering what the conditions were for someone to be offered this fitness test or if it even exists :)

I am pretty sure if you fail the medical due to BMI over 30 you are automatically offered the fitness test aka the PCA (or 3 and 1/2 minutes of hell in my experience lol!). As a rugby player it is most likely your BMI would be over 30 but you should have no problem at all with the PCA IF and it is an IF you fail the medical. If you are obviously muscular you may pass even though your BMI is higher than 30. There is also a chance they will measure your fat % and if it is acceptable you will then pass as well.

HTH

I'm not expecting anyone on here to be a medical expert but I'll ask my question anyway!

I recently had a hearing test done as I am slightly concerned about it. I was found to have perfect hearing in one ear and a loss of 40dB in the other. Does anyone know if this would be an acceptable standard?

I contacted occ health but there was no one to take my call and I am waiting on them ringing me back. I just think that the hearing standards are difficult to understand and I am trying to get an idea if this is going to cause me problems when I go for my medical.

Thanks in advance.

I think it would be a struggle to find someone on the forum who could give you an informed and definite answer , that said , to my knowledge what is perhaps more significant than a simple loss of hearing of 40db is the frequency at which the loss is evident.
    I do hope that OHW come back to you and can explain what the requirements are exactly so to put your mind at rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 zzz101z

cheers Delancey!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Yes as far as I can gather your BMI has to be over 30

AND

your bf % has to be more than 5% the predicated max at your BMI (If you are muscular should not be a problem)

AND

You have to appear overweight.

At my weight and height I would say that my bf % would have to be around 30ish to fail. My BMI is about 31-32

I know this was brought up a while ago on this thread...This whole drugs test, hair sample, blokes having no hair long enough etc... Bald people still have hope!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10393803.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Heard that on the radio today and was wondering how it ever got as far as court, it seems to be a fairly obvious choice to offer alternatives when people are naturally a wee bit "light on top".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I concur.I had mentioned earlier about those suffering from severe alopecia and how they could not be expected to provide a sufficient sample.
    Sigh...another waste of the courts time.
    A person who intentionally shaves themselves top to toe...eurg....and has something to hide...should be pretty obvious without a medical history of natural hairloss.
    On a humorous side..in the aformentioned article they published a picture of the offended balder...or perhaps that one was taken from archive pictures!

I am pretty sure if you fail the medical due to BMI over 30 you are automatically offered the fitness test aka the PCA (or 3 and 1/2 minutes of hell in my experience lol!). As a rugby player it is most likely your BMI would be over 30 but you should have no problem at all with the PCA IF and it is an IF you fail the medical. If you are obviously muscular you may pass even though your BMI is higher than 30. There is also a chance they will measure your fat % and if it is acceptable you will then pass as well.

HTH

Thanks, much appreciated :D

Say my BMI was over 30 and my body fat % was over the acceptable limit, will i fail the medical because i have not met both these criteria, or will i still be offered the PCA regardless of this ? hope everyone can understand that.

3 1/2 minutes in hell :pac: sound fun ;)

Also will the PCA be the same date as the medical or a seperate date and location?

Say my BMI was over 30 and my body fat % was over the acceptable limit, will i fail the medical because i have not met both these criteria, or will i still be offered the PCA regardless of this ? hope everyone can understand that.

Also will the PCA be the same date as the medical or a seperate date and location?

With a BMI over 30 and % body fat above limits it is unlikely ( not impossible though ) you would be passed at the medical but chances are you would be offered the PCA.
    PCA is done at a separate location and date

• Advertisement

delancey42 wrote: »
    With a BMI over 30 and % body fat above limits it is unlikely ( not impossible though ) you would be passed at the medical but chances are you would be offered the PCA.
    PCA is done at a separate location and date

sweet, thanx for the help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JONNYKEEB

I know this was brought up a while ago on this thread...This whole drugs test, hair sample, blokes having no hair long enough etc... Bald people still have hope!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10393803.stm

Is this not obvious, or is it another case of spending millions of tax payers money on ****e! I mentioned this a while back on here and thankfully, unknown to me, it has been challenged. Why did it even had to be challenged. I can imagine a man with alopecia in the medical and the robot asking him for a hair sample, he states I have alopecia and have no body hair and the robot stating, "The computer says no". The system from top to bottom is just simply wrong! Why do government departments not get rewarded for NOT spending all thier yearly budget instead of penalised? Baffels me!

Who makes these rules up? I bet they aint brave enough to comment on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

As far as I am aware if you fail the medical due to a BMI over 30 regardless of your body fat % you will be offered the PCA. The PCA is done on a different date and in a different location. If you are given this reason as to why you failed the med and are not automatically offered the PCA (which is unlikely) then if you appeal you most certainly will be.

HTH and good luck

As far as I am aware if you fail the medical due to a BMI over 30 regardless of your body fat % you will be offered the PCA. The PCA is done on a different date and in a different location. If you are given this reason as to why you failed the med and are not automatically offered the PCA (which is unlikely) then if you appeal you most certainly will be.

HTH and good luck

thank you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

Hey all

Done my AC back in May and got my vetting forms (all sent back) before I got my pass letter, then I got invited for my medical before my pass confirmation. Have one questions though. ? My BMI is well below 30 and I am fit and healthy apart from that. I only ask because I was given a fail back in 2001, the last time a applied and am just preparing myself this time as it was a bit of a shock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

That's very specific information you're looking for there. I don't know if anyone would have that depth of knowledge except OHW in Seapark. Why not give them a call and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 miscellaneous

1st post but recent, regular reader!!

I have passed vetting and have a date for medical very soon, given recent revelations do you think the medical will still go ahead???

BITTER DISSAPPOINTMENT(much like the rest of the board I would assume!) C'est la vie :confused:

When did you send your forms? and how did you find out you passed?

I will be going to my medical unless I'm told otherwise!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

pma1983 wrote: »
    I will be going to my medical unless I'm told otherwise!

Nail on the head. Turn up unless you are contacted otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 miscellaneous

my mistake sorry... completed vetting forms and have a medical appointment!

Attend and hope for the best I guess! dam.

Advertisement