Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Your fingerprints are taken when you are in Garnerville as part of the lesson. They are elimination prints only, and are destroyed when you leave the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

pma1983 wrote: »
    Is armpit hair ok to test?

Psni, can you clarify this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

For my medical they had to take hair from under the arm as it was not long enough on my head. That was last year and I don't know if it still applies but probably does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Adolphus wrote: »
    For my medical they had to take hair from under the arm as it was not long enough on my head. That was last year and I don't know if it still applies but probably does.

Yeah they do take armpit hair. Ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kaori

Hi all

I'm not sure whether this is the right part of the forum in which to post this but is fitness testing included in the medical?

I recently completed my a/c and a couple of people have mentioned the push/pull test under that topic. I haven't passed the a/c but need to work on my upper body strength so may as well start now just in case I am lucky enough to pass!

Any advice on how to prepare for the push/pull?

• Advertisement

No, you don't do anything physical during the medical. When you start in Garnerville, the PE instructors will give you a plan to follow which, if you follow to the letter, will enable you to pass the push/pull test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kaori

psni wrote: »
    No, you don't do anything physical during the medical. When you start in Garnerville, the PE instructors will give you a plan to follow which, if you follow to the letter, will enable you to pass the push/pull test.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Assuming I am lucky enough to get in....

Admittedly I am not as physically fit as I could be and also I am aware that following a simple programme can make myself much fitter. Following this would not be an issue at all and I would be glad of help/advice.

However in regards to the strength based aspect of the physical fitness required for the job, is it compulsary to follow the programme as laid out by the instructors or are those who have a background in strength sports etc allowed to persue their own strength based routines providing they do not compromise the ability to carry out the job?

Also this may sound silly but I heard there is a very good gym in G'Ville, can this be used in free times in the evenings right from the start of training?

1986j wrote: »
    is it compulsary to follow the programme as laid out by the instructors or are those who have a background in strength sports etc allowed to persue their own strength based routines

Yes, you can carry out your own routine if you want to, but make sure it includes the exercises needed to pass the push/pull.
    Also this may sound silly but I heard there is a very good gym in G'Ville, can this be used in free times in the evenings right from the start of training?

Yes, you can use it any time you like. It opens at around 7am and closes at around 10:30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

You can also use the gym at G'ville after your training is finished (most stations do have their own, but may not be as good/ G'ville may be handier to you) - Score!

• Advertisement

But back to Medical stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Yes, you can use it any time you like. It opens at around 7am and closes at around 10:30pm

Its 24 hour now :)

So who has received medical dates so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

hmm I was just wondering, for what reasons could you actually fail the medical?

The medical tests;
    Eyesight
    Flexibility (you don't have to be a contortionist, but the doc checks if all your joints are working properly)
    Hearing
    Lung Capacity
    Heart
    BMI

If for any reason any of the above aren't up to scratch, its a fail. BMI is a tricky one however, as they may require you to take a fitness test if its too high (for example, people who are short, yet heavy due to being muscled)
    swl33t wrote: »
    hmm I was just wondering, for what reasons could you actually fail the medical?

ah i see i see, i wear glasses, mainly just for reading things far away, close up reading and everyday sight is fine though, you reckon that will cause and problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

they will test your eyes without your specs , the short answer is '' yes , it is possible you will run into trouble at the medical with your sight ''. Best advice I can offer is get a copy of the eyesight standards and get an optician to test you.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

swl33t wrote: »
    ah i see i see, i wear glasses, mainly just for reading things far away, close up reading and everyday sight is fine though, you reckon that will cause and problems?

If your every day eyesight is good and you don't need glasses for driving, chances are you will be fine. I need glasses for driving and pretty much everything else actually lol and I just about passed the eyesight test. Best way to find out for sure is to take the eyesight requirements to your optician and they'll check for you.

MBC x

Folks I've spoken to say that you need to be able to read the top two lines of the eye test in order to pass.

Wow is that all ? And here's me fretting over not being able to read the very last line !:rolleyes:
    Thanks Cashflow

• Advertisement

Cashflow wrote: »
    Folks I've spoken to say that you need to be able to read the top two lines of the eye test in order to pass.

cheers :) i can manage that! hopefully il get to this stage now to put my eyes to the test lol

I wear glasses all the time. I really hope this does not impinge my chances. I am actually disappointed to hear this tbh.

I can however wear contacts and do so with no probs working on the door.

Why is eyesight without glasses so important? I have seen many police with glasses?

Just seen this on the website. Says that it can be 'unaided'

http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/Medical%20Standards.aspx

I take that to mean that during the test you cannot wear specs or lenses ?

Why is eyesight without glasses so important? I have seen many police with glasses?

What about if they get knocked off during a struggle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JONNYKEEB

Cashflow wrote: »
    What about if they get knocked off during a struggle?

I think there is more chance that you will be more worried about the 5ft nothnig 7 stone female trying to cuff a slabbering drunk than about your glasses falling off!

I wore glasses for 4 years (have worn contacts past year) whilst doing the door. Only once were they knocked off.

Whilst i cannot read very small text with my glasses off (e.g labels on the back of a bar of chocolate) I can see fine with them off to the point where it hopefully will not be an issue. I hope I do not fail at this hurdle :(

I actually just removed themthere now and can comfortably read the text in theis message body. Anyway might be worthwhile popping into opticians tomorrow or very soon and having a word with him.

delancey42 wrote: »
    I take that to mean that during the test you cannot wear specs or lenses ?

It says 'aided or unaided'.

Then it goes on to say that if corrective aids are worn you still must meet a set standard in your weaker eye. Perhaps I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lufc92

If your every day eyesight is good and you don't need glasses for driving, chances are you will be fine. I need glasses for driving and pretty much everything else actually lol and I just about passed the eyesight test. Best way to find out for sure is to take the eyesight requirements to your optician and they'll check for you.

MBC x

Gud to know you passed I also wear glasses all the time glad to hear someone passed with glasses.:D

• Advertisement

Does anyone have contacts for occupational health and welfare? Email and telephone would be great. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement