Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Sorry Adrian, just saw this now. Probably waiting same as yourself- applied May 08, interview Aug 08. Cant believe it's 2010 now and still nothing. I do think that we will know more soon though.

Anyone know when the Dail sits again. They're probably on Xmas holidays till summer now are they?!

Think they are back on the 19th. Hopefully there will be some more info soon fingers crossed:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

It will be interesting to see if its mentioned... God I hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

yep there back on the 19th nice long holiday for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Rihanna

spudz21 wrote: »
    Ok, so thinking of going travelling for a year:Dget away from all this snow!
    The only thing on my mind, is if there is a campaign and I'm abroad, I will go mad!

Are you mad!!!! if you have the opportunity to travel then grab it with both hands and run, you will most certainly have plenty of time to return to do the appitude test. just register with jobs.ie or whoever does the recruiting these days.
    trust me when i say this, when you finally get into the gardaí you will know all about having to put your life on hold, (especially for the 1st 2 years) so make the most of your time now, pack that back pack and get the hell out of here and have a ball.
    my only regret in life is that i didnt go travelling before i joined the job but its something to look forward after my 30 odd years service ;O)
    Hope the wait pays off for you guys soon cause we need more bodies so we can get transfers and promotions :O)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

well lads had lunch today with a mate of mine in the gardai and a buddy of his also in the gardai and they both said to me word around the place is that an intake is most likely in march not february:confused:

so we will only really know when we get the call i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

podsieboy wrote: »
    well lads had lunch today with a mate of mine in the gardai and a buddy of his also in the gardai and they both said to me word around the place is that an intake is most likely in march not february:confused:

so we will only really know when we get the call i suppose

thats good to hear i rang Garda hq last week and he told me that intake this half of the year is extremely unlikely..but why call people back to redo their meds last month and with alot of peoples meds a year old march i can see intake feb/march.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

thats good to hear i rang Garda hq last week and he told me that intake this half of the year is extremely unlikely..but why call people back to redo their meds last month and with alot of peoples meds a year old march i can see intake feb/march.

i'd say it's a case that they have to give the official line until a proper announcement is ready. do you think it will be an intake of those in the system already or will it be a general recruitment drive?

i'd say it's a case that they have to give the official line until a proper announcement is ready. do you think it will be an intake of those in the system already or will it be a general recruitment drive?

i think it will just be an intake of people currently in the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Hopefully something will happen soon, all this waiting around would drive ya mad :mad:

Hopefully something will happen soon, all this waiting around would drive you mad :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

I'm seeing a lot of excitement over nothing here!

Keep your heads on people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Thanks for the advice on the travelling thing :D:D

Am just curious about something else....was chatting to a relation of mine who is police officer over in states and he said part of their background checks included all their medical history.
    Just wondering, is this the same with AGS? or do they just use the medical?
    :):)

spudz21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice on the travelling thing :D:D

Am just curious about something else....was chatting to a relation of mine who is police officer over in states and he said part of their background checks included all their medical history.
    Just wondering, is this the same with AGS? or do they just use the medical?
    :):)

Hi spudz21
    they just use the medical

leddpipe wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of excitement over nothing here!

Keep your heads on people!

Wouldnt exactly call it excitement, more like postive thinking...patience is a great thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Everyone,

Some updates:

The PSNI have now started recruitment if anyone is interested???!!!

This is the link if any help: http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/benefits.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Hey all im a student hoping to go into the guards after im done(2nd year now). Applied for the garda reserves as well . I would leave college if I got a chance to get into the full guards bit dont think its likely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sh0cX

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick question to see what people's advice would be.
    I applied to the Garda Recruitiment in 2007 and went through all the process and ended getting to stage 2 in 2008. I recieved a letter few weeks later stating that i was successful at stage 2, but unfortunately do not have the adequate requirments. Ok
    The story is, I failed my Irish in school so i used English as my Primary language and used French which i did in college for 2 years as my secondary. I was told i had to apply through the NQAI ( National Qualifications Authority of Ireland ) Which meant a longer procees for me and with this i was able to go through all the stages while they assested my French ( i recieved a 90% average ) to see if it would be equivalent to the leaving cert (A in Foundation or so) It was not till i did stage2 that i recieved any infomation on my process.
    I went back and redone my Irish in the LC after i recieved the letter and was successful.
    So my Question is: Would i have to redo all the stages again, even though i did not fail on any of them or is there any way that i could jump in too where i was before.
    I have a Degree in Computer Science and my main love would be to get in to the Technical Bureaudo and do Computer forensic and cybercrime investigations. So with the cut down on the recruiting, im just wondering is there any way of getting back in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

Sh0cX wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Just a quick question to see what people's advice would be.
    I applied to the Garda Recruitiment in 2007 and went through all the process and ended getting to stage 2 in 2008. I recieved a letter few weeks later stating that i was successful at stage 2, but unfortunately do not have the adequate requirments. Ok
    The story is, I failed my Irish in school so i used English as my Primary language and used French which i did in college for 2 years as my secondary. I was told i had to apply through the NQAI ( National Qualifications Authority of Ireland ) Which meant a longer procees for me and with this i was able to go through all the stages while they assested my French ( i recieved a 90% average ) to see if it would be equivalent to the leaving cert (A in Foundation or so) It was not till i did stage2 that i recieved any infomation on my process.
    I went back and redone my Irish in the LC after i recieved the letter and was successful.
    So my Question is: Would i have to redo all the stages again, even though i did not fail on any of them or is there any way that i could jump in too where i was before.
    I have a Degree in Computer Science and my main love would be to get in to the Technical Bureaudo and do Computer forensic and cybercrime investigations. So with the cut down on the recruiting, im just wondering is there any way of getting back in there.

Hi Shocx,

Sorry to hear about the circumstances, you would have applied the same time as myself id say. Seen as it was in 2008 i imagine you would have to go through the recruitment process all over again as alot of time has passed. Give PAS or HQ a shout to get a definate answer. Any other questions send me a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sh0cX

Hey Saxobank,
    Thanks for your feedback.

Hi All

I have a question on the Garda dissertation, if this is the wrong place can somebody point me in the right direction.

I heard of somebody who failed their dissertation, what happens next once it's failed, do you repeat the whole thing, just touch up the weaker parts etc, also how many chances do you get to do it.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

I've heard of a lad being held from graduating because his dissertation wasn't up to scratch.....don't know what happened after that though:)
    I'm sure they give you another chance at it....

But if this talk of a new training programme is true, maybe it won't be necessary to do dissertation in future:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

If you fail your dissertation you get reverted. I know somebody who was reverted on it. They give you another chance to repeat it but it means you'll be graduating with a different intake than the one you started in.

If you fail your dissertation you get reverted. I know somebody who was reverted on it. They give you another chance to repeat it but it means you'll be graduating with a different intake than the one you started in.

Thanks Northside Girl, for the repeat is it a case of totally redoing it on another topic or do you just working on the weaker parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

No problem :) I suppose it depends on where the dissertation fell down really. There's a lot to it and a number of ways you could lose marks so if it was lacking in quality overall you'd be just as well to do it on a different topic altogether. If you fail you're entitled to see your assessment sheet at the end of it so I guess you could decide then whether your dissertation is worth salvaging (assuming you can do it again, we were never told you couldn't anyway) or going and doing something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

Thanks Northside Girl, for the repeat is it a case of totally redoing it on another topic or do you just working on the weaker parts?

Shanehillview, in most cases you just redo the same dissertation but alter the chapter you fell down on, in other cases your just aswell starting from scratch! depends on your results. a good few of the lads from my phase failed it and those were their options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 carlbre

hi all,

i heard a rumour yesterday that there might be an intake soon, and possibly even a recruitment, i hope so, im getting my eyes lasered in the coming weeks hoping there will be a recruitment sometime between now and the end of the year, after reading many posts on this ive learnt that after the recruitment i could be waiting a long time to even reach templemore (if im lucky enough to get that far) so the sooner the better! i'd rather the embargo ended this year rather than next like many more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

carlbre wrote: »
    hi all,

i heard a rumour yesterday that there might be an intake soon, and possibly even a recruitment, i hope so, im getting my eyes lasered in the coming weeks hoping there will be a recruitment sometime between now and the end of the year, after reading many posts on this ive learnt that after the recruitment i could be waiting a long time to even reach templemore (if im lucky enough to get that far) so the sooner the better! i'd rather the embargo ended this year rather than next like many more people.
    `
    well best of luck with the laser its the best thing you ll ever do have it done a year now and it perfect.... if you dont mind me askin was it a reliable source ou heard this rumour or what then?!?!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

Hi just wondering where you heard the rumours from? Great call getting the laser eye surgery you'll be ready then for medical when you get that far, lot of us waiting for next intake so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

At this stage I just like hearing rumours, don't even care how accurate they are. You could tell me the world was flat and I probably believe till someone else posted saying it's not:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My next door neighbour is a retired Garda Sergeant , he was telling me today that his nephew applied to join , went through the full process of medical , interview, etc but like so many people here got nobbled by the recruitment embargo.
    His nephew asked my neighbour to make some enquiries among ex-colleagues to see if he could ascertain the current plans re. any intake/s this year . My neighbour spoke to a few ''reliable'' people ' in the know ' and the general consesus was that while nobody can speak with 100% certainty it was considered '' very unlikely '' that any intake would occur in 2010.
    I know that's not what a lot of you wish to hear and no doubt some of you will hear the complete opposite in the weeks and months to come !

Just my 2 cents worth :rolleyes:

Advertisement