Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Is publicjobs.ie the ONLY way to apply for the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

yes it is the only way to apply to the gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Last figure we heard was 600 people with everything completed if I remember correctly, so figures over 1000 are probably not recent figures. Is it just me or do people feel that an intake is imminent? There is a lot of activity around here lately :) Its good to see!

yeah i do feel intake is imminent based soley on gut feeling alone unfortunatley..i rang hq today regarding bt no. told me it wasnt important enquired about possible feb intake-said that they dont know but date for intake isnt set in stone could be mid feb march not just early feb,may,aug and nov which was the norm in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tiring wait

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Yes had my interview in August '08. And my batch number is over 1000 aswell. I dont think the number means anything really other than an ID for your file. Think about all the people who got these numbers and failed interviews, meds, pcts. From what I can remember there were 15,000 at aptitude stage, 4000 at interview stage and then cut to 1000 candidates.
    thanks adrian looks like most of us on this thread are in the same boat just waiting but hopefully in the first lot if and when they have an intake.you must be going out of your mind waiting since april. im thinking about nothing else since i passed pct and thats only since december. as i said i did my interview in august 08 but had put it all out of my mind when i did not hear anything for so long

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Last figure we heard was 600 people with everything completed if I remember correctly, so figures over 1000 are probably not recent figures. Is it just me or do people feel that an intake is imminent? There is a lot of activity around here lately :) Its good to see!
    hi blue belle the feeling out there is that there is going to be an intake in february i have heard this from a few sources and they have been very reliable over the last two years as to what has been going in the garda recruitment having said that its not gospel or set in stone but its a little bit of hope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

hi blue belle the feeling out there is that there is going to be an intake in february i have heard this from a few sources and they have been very reliable over the last two years as to what has been going in the garda recruitment having said that its not gospel or set in stone but its a little bit of hope

If thats the case do ya think people will hear from HQ soon or do ya think they will leave it until the last minute to send out the offers of a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

No, did not get a chance to ring HQ about having to repeat Med and Pct. Was thinking afterwards, that being called back is highly unlikely. From what I could see at the time of my med and Pct there were alot of other people there too. I cannot see them recalling all these people again, what a waste of time and money that would be. Also I believe the shelf life of a medical must be 1 year, does not make sense to be only six months. I stand to be corrected though.

No, did not get a chance to ring HQ about having to repeat Med and Pct. Was thinking afterwards, that being called back is highly unlikely. From what I could see at the time of my med and Pct there were alot of other people there too. I cannot see them recalling all these people again, what a waste of time and money that would be. Also I believe the shelf life of a medical must be 1 year, does not make sense to be only six months. I stand to be corrected though.[/quote

I hope your right because that would mean that alot of us who sat medical/pct round march/april will be called soon to templemore avoid the meds expiring after year!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mainistir

No, did not get a chance to ring HQ about having to repeat Med and Pct. Was thinking afterwards, that being called back is highly unlikely. From what I could see at the time of my med and Pct there were alot of other people there too. I cannot see them recalling all these people again, what a waste of time and money that would be. Also I believe the shelf life of a medical must be 1 year, does not make sense to be only six months. I stand to be corrected though.[/quote

I hope your right because that would mean that alot of us who sat medical/pct round march/april will be called soon to templemore avoid the meds expiring after year!

Would be interesting to know how many are left over from the med/pct from last march/april? I think the figure 56 was thrown around some time ago..yes/no? Personally speaking i did my med in august 08 and pct in oct08, i imagine there is at 200-300 of us now waiting with everything done...anyone know if people are still getting called for meds and pcts, if its stopped it might give us an indication that an intake is looming...all guess work here by the way!??.
    I know someone (like everyone else) who is kept informed of recruitment, there was/is talk of a May intake but really we can count on one hand the actual people that know......im interested in this BT number that everyone is on about lately, mine is 4 digits aswell and quite high, i really hope their is no significance to this because im going to do my nut if we've to wait another 12 months, its closing in on 2 years at this stage!!

Hi Mainistir
    sorry if i asked you this before but what recruitment campaign did you apply in?most people here like myself may '08.

• Advertisement

happy new year folks,

sorry just needed an excuse to get my 100th post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Happy New Year Adrian :) Think this year is going to be an important one for us one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

This is going to be a good year, for those in the queue and those waiting to join the queue.:D I can feel it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

This is going to be a good year, for those in the queue and those waiting to join the queue.:D I can feel it!!!

You must know something:cool: or have some 'pull';)

I notice there that you have a lot of posts up. How long have you been waiting ?

If thats the case do ya think people will hear from HQ soon or do ya think they will leave it until the last minute to send out the offers of a place
    i would say that they woud have to give people at least a week or twos notice especially people in jobs so they can hand in their notice at work again this is only an opinion but if it does go like that and their is an intake in february then there should be news in a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

rookie09 wrote: »
    You must know something:cool: or have some 'pull';)

Haha, I wish

Hi Mainistir
    sorry if i asked you this before but what recruitment campaign did you apply in?most people here like myself may '08.

Yep, May 08 is right, life pretty much on hold since then haha! From talking to a few guards they say the way they work it when building up for an intake is that the press have a few stories on crime rates, gardai retiring, need to build up the force numbers, etc etc. Im just hoping that the bits in the news towards the end of december are a glimmer of hope, heres hoping though!!

i think you could be right on your feeling shanehillview

Was talking to someone in the know earlier and seemingly any guard applying for a transfer out of templemore isnt being granted despite a few requests.....which, being wildly optimistic here, might signal an intake of some sort soon....??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Iolar wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the embargo on recruitment will be lifted?

no one knows when its going to be lifted so get a comfortable seat and get ready to hope and pray that it will be lifted soon:pac:

the minister for finance is the only person who can lift the embargo and its not gonna happen this year although minister ahern says the minister for finance may lift the embargo in special circumstances
    so basically they will lift it when they need people to replace retirees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Ok, so thinking of going travelling for a year:Dget away from all this snow!
    The only thing on my mind, is if there is a campaign and I'm abroad, I will go mad!
    but on the other hand, no point in waiting for a campaign could be a year or two away, who knows....decisions, decisions....
    If I'm away and a campaign does happen to start, will i have enough time to organise getting home for stage 1?? Is there usually a good bit of notice before a campaign starts??
    thanks in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

podsieboy wrote: »
    the minister for finance is the only person who can lift the embargo and its not gonna happen this year although minister ahern says the minister for finance may lift the embargo in special circumstances
    so basically they will lift it when they need people to replace retirees

what about the minister for justice?

He said he'd lift it didnt he?

Not like a politician to write cheque he cant cash :rolleyes:

he said he would lift it but all decisions on the matter have to be given the green light by the minister for finance

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

we need this guy to make our finance decisions.....
    SI-Mayor_%20Quimby.gif

id say if he made the financial decsions we would turn out lik this clown
    Chief_Wiggum.png

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

spudz21 wrote: »
    Ok, so thinking of going travelling for a year:Dget away from all this snow!
    The only thing on my mind, is if there is a campaign and I'm abroad, I will go mad!
    but on the other hand, no point in waiting for a campaign could be a year or two away, who knows....decisions, decisions....
    If I'm away and a campaign does happen to start, will i have enough time to organise getting home for stage 1?? Is there usually a good bit of notice before a campaign starts??
    thanks in advance:)

If i remember I think you get 2 or 3 days notice from public jobs, if you have set up an alert with them, of when a recruitment drive is happening, then you fill out the form and wait till the deadline is reached. They will contact you by e-mail or message giving you a number to contact to set a date to do the apptitude tests. I had around a months notice from the time of applying to the date I did the apptitude. I'd say go travel you might get some interesting scenarios for the interview and it will also show that you dont mind being away from home cos that was a question they asked in my interview "how would you cope being stationed away from home?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

I notice there that you have a lot of posts up. How long have you been waiting ?

Sorry Adrian, just saw this now. Probably waiting same as yourself- applied May 08, interview Aug 08. Cant believe it's 2010 now and still nothing. I do think that we will know more soon though.

Anyone know when the Dail sits again. They're probably on Xmas holidays till summer now are they?!

Advertisement