Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

Does anyone have a definite time scale on the Medical and PCT ? Mine like many of you will be a year in April. Maybe someone out there has asked HRM on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Last I heard when on to HR months back was it was usually 6 months but they would prob extend it to 1 year because of the embargo. But Adrian seriously, just ring and ask them. You're driving yourself demented! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tiring wait

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a definite time scale on the Medical and PCT ? Mine like many of you will be a year in April. Maybe someone out there has asked HRM on this matter.
    adrian do yourself a favour and ring hrm. at least they will give you a definitive answer and who knows you might get the call beforehand to go into templemore and that would be a nice surprise fingers crossed.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

hey lads and lassies!
    I know everyone's probably sick of rumours etc, but I thought I'd pass on what I've heard. A relation of mine works with a lad that worked in Garda HQ, and told him that he heard there should be a recruitment campaign very soon. Again, I know that everyone's probably fed up of what "a friend of a friend" is saying, but any rumours of movement might be a bit of encouragement! haven't heard any details, obviously, but who knows...! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

have a look at this, i know its long but scroll down about 3/4 where Noel Coonan starts questioning about investment in North Tipp and the state of the Garda College in Templemore.........

Willie O'Dea says the report is rubbish and seems to find it all laughable,
    some Minister of Justice that is.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2010-01-28.230.0&s=garda#g351.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

itsallgood wrote: »
    have a look at this, i know its long but scroll down about 3/4 where Noel Coonan starts questioning about investment in North Tipp and the state of the Garda College in Templemore.........

Willie O'Dea says the report is rubbish and seems to find it all laughable,
    some Minister of Justice that is.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2010-01-28.230.0&s=garda#g351.0

Before you go for AGS I recommend you have a look at the members of Govt again just in case you're asked who the Minister for Justice is!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

i notice that most days 'garda recruitment' is the most popular request in kildarestreet.com's search engine-indication of level of interest in the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Interest high......wait long:cool:

eroo wrote: »
    Before you go for AGS I recommend you have a look at the members of Govt again just in case you're asked who the Minister for Justice is!!:p

Willie O'Dea was appointed Minster of Jusice, Equality and Law Reform after 2002 general election.
    Just thought as former Minister for Justice he might have had an interest and surely his office now has to interact with previous one.
    Anyway, not to worry. We know it doesnt matter who's in charge because they're only interest in themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 scoobydoo-gaa

talking to a garda in human resourses a month ago and he told me there looking at least jan 2011 for another campaign to begin. im on the waiting list myself. just said id let you know what i was told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

Well that would sound about right. A campaign would be required following our intakes this year as there would be no one available through the selection process after that. There has to be an emphasis on the difference between an intake and a recruitment campaign, we have all been recruited already and are just awaiting our comencement date.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

I wouldn't agree with that Adrian, we haven't been offered places yet so this means we haven't been recruited. Who knows what will happen at this stage but until I get a letter or a call I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mainistir

Paudie223 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with that Adrian, we haven't been offered places yet so this means we haven't been recruited. Who knows what will happen at this stage but until I get a letter or a call I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Yes im afraid im in agreement here aswell, look at last year when they said they would recruit 400 and they didntt bat an eyelid when they froze thst. Also on every piece of documentation we get it says something like "this dosnt constitute a job offer, offer subjectto commissioner approval" or something like that! Anyway less of the negativity.....we'll all get there eventually but until then im just enjoying the rumour mill, bring em on!!

I think Adrian was just trying to explain the difference between the 2, with regards to "campaign" and "intake" he is right that people are using them in the wrong context......
    Then again this thread is for applying to An Garda Siochana so those of us lucky to be waiting on an intake should stick to posting our rumours in the waiting room, and leave this thread for rumours of new campaigns and those who need advice after the apply, once moratorium is lifted.
    This might help avoid cofusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

I think Adrian was just trying to explain the difference between the 2, with regards to "campaign" and "intake" he is right that people are using them in the wrong context......
    Then again this thread is for applying to An Garda Siochana so those of us lucky to be waiting on an intake should stick to posting our rumours in the waiting room, and leave this thread for rumours of new campaigns and those who need advice after the apply, once moratorium is lifted.
    This might help avoid cofusion.

Yea, it does get a bit confusing when there is talk of both intakes and campaigns in this thread:confused::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Commish

Hi everyone, just reading through all the posts there. Seriously at this stage i wouldnt even try to second guess whats going to happen on the recruitment front because they dont even know themselves. Theres a huge restructure underway and recruitment is included in that. The structure of the course in Templemore has changed and they are also currently playing around in a few different fields regarding getting Gardai recruits in and where they will be recruited from. The big thing on everyones lips these days is money and how much of it is there???? I would not at all be surprised if something crazy happens to be honest and a lot of people will be disappointed. Theres no money at the moment to recruit gardai but at the same time they are urgently required or should i say will be. The government are sitting back quitely observing how many Gardai are going to retire and how many need to be replaced. A clear figure will become noticeable to them shortly and then thats when i feel the craziest recession busting recruitment campaigns ever will be seen. I wouldnt reject any job offers in the meantime though. I really hope everyone writing here and waiting with their nails chewed off actually get in and get on well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SPEDFED

Commish wrote: »
    I would not at all be surprised if something crazy happens to be honest and a lot of people will be disappointed.

Care to elaborate??

"I would not at all be surprised if something crazy happens to be honest and a lot of people will be disappointed."

"thats when i feel the craziest recession busting recruitment campaigns ever will be seen."

Don't understand what your trying to say here, did you contradict yourself or are you saying this campaign will be scrapped to start a new one??:confused::confused:

Take you heard it from somewhere would you care to share your source with us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Theres a huge restructure underway and recruitment is included in that. The structure of the course in Templemore has changed and they are also currently playing around in a few different fields regarding getting Gardai recruits in and where they will be recruited from.

They were looking at altering the training process, but that was shelved due to the recruitment embargo and nothing was implemented. They'll be changing nothing at the moment since there's no new students coming in. To the best of my knowledge there's been no proposed change in the recruitment criteria.
    The big thing on everyones lips these days is money and how much of it is there???? I would not at all be surprised if something crazy happens to be honest and a lot of people will be disappointed. Theres no money at the moment to recruit gardai but at the same time they are urgently required or should i say will be. The government are sitting back quitely observing how many Gardai are going to retire and how many need to be replaced. A clear figure will become noticeable to them shortly and then thats when i feel the craziest recession busting recruitment campaigns ever will be seen. I wouldnt reject any job offers in the meantime though. I really hope everyone writing here and waiting with their nails chewed off actually get in and get on well.

What are you basing all this on?

cushtac wrote: »
    They were looking at altering the training process, but that was shelved due to the recruitment embargo and nothing was implemented. They'll be changing nothing at the moment since there's no new students coming in. To the best of my knowledge there's been no proposed change in the recruitment criteria.

Cushtac, dont mind me asking how you know this?

• Advertisement

Cushtac, dont mind me asking how you know this?

From colleagues in the depot & in the college.

From colleagues in the depot & in the college.

Thanks, so can we say a recent post on here can be disregarded?
    You may also know then about the current panel, is it at all likely to be scrapped for new campaign or will it be kept till we fill intakes as promised by Ministers in Dail Eireann?

Thanks, so can we say a recent post on here can be disregarded?

In my opinion, yes. They haven't changed anything in the training syllabus yet, if they ever will, and they certainly haven't changed the selection criteria.
    You may also know then about the current panel, is it at all likely to be scrapped for new campaign or will it be kept till we fill intakes as promised by Ministers in Dail Eireann?

I know nothing about that, sorry.

thanks, I was told the same thing by HQ appointments with regards to no changes being made to training syllabus at this time.

Review the recruit training program to ensure that it is providing new Gardaí with the core policing skills they require to do their jobs.

The report of the Training Review Group was presented to the Commissioner on 26 June, 2009 and was subsequently forwarded to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform.

Develop a recruitment and selection strategy that ensures a talented, multi-cultural, multilingual workforce, both sworn and non-sworn.

The Garda Síochána in conjunction with the Public Appointments Service, which acts as agent in the initial selection of Garda trainees, is reviewing the selection process to give effect to this recommendation and will report by mid-2010.

Commish you seem to throw your opinion about Garda Recruitment and Garda Reserve around as if there fact.....
    Would you care to tell us how you know all this?
    Are you a Garda, a reserve, waiting to apply or working somewhere within the system.
    Don't mean to doubt you, but a lot of people post fiction as facts, and its hard to take them onboard with more then a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mainistir

Not a peep about a numbers intake or even recruitment dirve unfortunately or did i miss something?

you didnt miss a thing........
    unfortunatley.....some stuff about training programmes thats all

• Advertisement

Commish you seem to throw your opinion about Garda Recruitment and Garda Reserve around as if there fact.....
    Would you care to tell us how you know all this?
    Are you a Garda, a reserve, waiting to apply or working somewhere within the system.
    Don't mean to doubt you, but a lot of people post fiction as facts, and its hard to take them onboard with more then a pinch of salt.

I just took that from the Garda Inspectorate report and posted it. Thats available online to everyone.

Advertisement