Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Commish wrote: »
    Review the recruit training program to ensure that it is providing new Gardaí with the core policing skills they require to do their jobs.

The report of the Training Review Group was presented to the Commissioner on 26 June, 2009 and was subsequently forwarded to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform.

Develop a recruitment and selection strategy that ensures a talented, multi-cultural, multilingual workforce, both sworn and non-sworn.

The Garda Síochána in conjunction with the Public Appointments Service, which acts as agent in the initial selection of Garda trainees, is reviewing the selection process to give effect to this recommendation and will report by mid-2010.
    I just took that from the Garda Inspectorate report and posted it. Thats available online to everyone.

Exactly, think it was released online last month:)

Here's a link to it for anyone interested
    http://www.gsinsp.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=17&Itemid=54&mosmsg=The+document+must+be+published+before+downloading.

Hope that link works:P

The report is the one titled "Policing in Ireland:looking forward"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Review the recruit training program to ensure that it is providing new Gardaí with the core policing skills they require to do their jobs.

The report of the Training Review Group was presented to the Commissioner on 26 June, 2009 and was subsequently forwarded to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform.

Develop a recruitment and selection strategy that ensures a talented, multi-cultural, multilingual workforce, both sworn and non-sworn.

The Garda Síochána in conjunction with the Public Appointments Service, which acts as agent in the initial selection of Garda trainees, is reviewing the selection process to give effect to this recommendation and will report by mid-2010.

None of which means that there'll be a change in the recruitment or training process. Reports are just that -reports. The Inspectorate has made many other recommendations that haven't been acted on.

I'll say it again, the word from the college and the depot is that nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Commish

im sure youre correct....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

cushtac wrote: »
    None of which means that there'll be a change in the recruitment or training process. Reports are just that -reports. The Inspectorate has made many other recommendations that haven't been acted on.

I'll say it again, the word from the college and the depot is that nothing has changed.

I agree, they are just recommendations!:)
    makes for interesting reading

im sure youre correct....

I sure I am too, since I'm not just reading stuff off the internet and drawing my own conclusions from it.

If you actually get talking to someone from the depot or the college who says different please let us know.

• Advertisement

I sure I am too, since I'm not just reading stuff off the internet and drawing my own conclusions from it.

If you actually get talking to someone from the depot or the college who says different please let us know.

Im sure youre a chief in the making.

Im sure youre a chief in the making.

Thanks, maybe if they let you in you can be one too.

Thanks, maybe if they let you in you can be one too.

Yed never know. Ha. Seriously all discussions aside i hope all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jim davis

hey,can anyone out there tell me what the best thing to be doing while wating for things to restart.what looks the best on your application and are these home study courses any good or a waste of time.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Im a first year in college in a 3 year degree course.Since I finished school I wanted to join the guards but with the freeze in recruitment I decided to go to college.My question is do you get increments for having a higher certificate lev6 or does it have to be a lev7/8 degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

jim davis wrote: »
    hey,can anyone out there tell me what the best thing to be doing while wating for things to restart.what looks the best on your application and are these home study courses any good or a waste of time.thanks

Im in the same boat waiting to join. Im 30 so time is ticking. I started a law degree part time id say it would brilliant on your cv come the interview. It would show i have an interest in law> was thiinking bout doing busines and law but thought law would look better I also started coaching kids in my local gaa club . Whats anyone else doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bruno_12345

I'm something similar as yourself number13. I'm 33 so if they don't start soon I'll be over the age of 35. I'm a volunteer in the Coastguard so hopefully it might come in useful if the time comes. I've given up hope of trying to guess what they are going to do. From talking to other members within the force & I meet alot form been in the CG, they haven't a clue whats going on at the moment. So its just pray & hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

number13 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat waiting to join. Im 30 so time is ticking. I started a law degree part time id say it would brilliant on your cv come the interview. It would show i have an interest in law> was thiinking bout doing busines and law but thought law would look better I also started coaching kids in my local gaa club . Whats anyone else doing

I was the same as you back three years ago "Number 13" when i first applied for the Guards, i asked around what people in the force thought, and everyone advised me to do my degree first.. You dont have too, but you will get more pay, better promotions etc. I did my degree in Business with Management, just waiting now for the next recruitment to start, please god i might get in ths time round after all my hard work... A degree in law is brillant, you should keep at it!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Mark37 wrote: »
    I was the same as you back three years ago "Number 13" when i first applied for the Guards, i asked around what people in the force thought, and everyone advised me to do my degree first.. You dont have too, but you will get more pay, better promotions etc. I did my degree in Business with Management, just waiting now for the next recruitment to start, please god i might get in ths time round after all my hard work... A degree in law is brillant, you should keep at it!!!:)
    Im a first year in college in a 3 year degree course.Since I finished school I wanted to join the guards but with the freeze in recruitment I decided to go to college.My question is do you get increments for having a higher certificate lev6 or does it have to be a lev7/8 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Not sure what a level 7/8 degree is but once you have done a full time degree that's recognised by HETAC or another statutory body then you should qualify for increments. I know that you get increments for a 4 year degree but I'm not sure about 3 year degrees tbh. It's payable once you have successfully passed your probationary period which is 2 years after attestation. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jim davis

you seem very worried bout the money 90.to ask the same question twice like that.maybe your thinking of the wrong career if your so money orientated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Was thinking the same thing Jim.
    90 if the money is an issue i'm sure you'd be earning more if you stick at whatever your doing your degree in.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mainistir

Bit harsh lads, he was only asking the question....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

I agree lads. After all a person has to live aswell. Just because you love a job and its a so called vocation does not mean you should do it for buttons. We all have mortgages and bills like everyone else.

I understand that we all have to live, but when someone repeatedly asks the same question about how much they'll get paid it makes you wonder.
    Not a personal dig at 90, so apologies, but a lot of people have come on here in the past asking only about money and pay....can get annoying.
    Then you have someone like Shane Supple who retires from Ipswich to join AGS and cant because moratorium.......
    Some people want the job and always have done, others only love the idea of a lifelong job....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

As far as I am aware it's only for level 7/8. Basically a degree holder and can be a three or four year course.

And to the others complaining about his question about money, he's entitled to ask, this is a public forum about recruitment questions!

Won't be long before ye are in, complaining about Government cut backs on money.

Yea you will get 2/3 increments when you entry the Guards with a degree or above. This is why most help in the force will advise you should do it before you entry...plus for internal promotions you will have a better change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mule101

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0220/1224264879476.html

this is very similar to what i posted onthe 25th of jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

mule101 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0220/1224264879476.html

this is very similar to what i posted onthe 25th of jan

Hey just wondering, if anyone could shed some light, on the previous newspaper write up please, Re The Irish Times saturday 20/02/2010.
    If you scroll down half ways it reads as follows , "Those who apply to join the force will only be successful if they have a drivers licence, can swim and also have first aid training".. If anyone could tell me what they think i would appreciate it, and apologies if some one has asked about this already, i dont be on boards that often.. im just curious if anyone is doing more about this, as i can swim but not life saving swimming and i have a full licence but no first aid training..thanks guys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

rugby wrote: »
    Hey just wondering, if anyone could shed some light, on the previous newspaper write up please, Re The Irish Times saturday 20/02/2010.
    If you scroll down half ways it reads as follows , "Those who apply to join the force will only be successful if they have a drivers licence, can swim and also have first aid training".. If anyone could tell me what they think i would appreciate it, and apologies if some one has asked about this already, i dont be on boards that often.. im just curious if anyone is doing more about this, as i can swim but not life saving swimming and i have a full licence but no first aid training..thanks guys :D

Hi Rugby
    The report that was published few days ago stated that the research group recommended that 'public appointments service' implement the above recommendations,like me you have passed your interview so I think the recommendations only apply to people who will be applying when new recruitment campaign begins..as we have passed the public appointment service stage aka aptitude test and interview whereas our application is now solely in the hands of GS,thats my interpretation of it I could be wrong.
    I rang Garda HQ for clarification but got a politicians 'no comment' reply.
    also,they are only recommendations at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Hi Rugby
    The report that was published few days ago stated that the research group recommended that 'public appointments service' implement the above recommendations,like me you have passed your interview so I think the recommendations only apply to people who will be applying when new recruitment campaign begins..as we have passed the public appointment service stage aka aptitude test and interview whereas our application is now solely in the hands of GS,thats my interpretation of it I could be wrong.
    I rang Garda HQ for clarification but got a politicians 'no comment' reply.
    also,they are only recommendations at this stage.

Cheer's for the reply, appreciate that, was up since five this morning for work, so must of been half asleep reading it...hopefully something might happen some day soon :D

Hi everyone,
    Could anyone answer me this question - see in the report they ask that you can swim, what if you can, but dont have any certs? Does this mean you need to get a cert/course on this now? Also are these requirements after you have been successful in the application/selection process?

Many thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

Mark37 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Could anyone answer me this question - see in the report they ask that you can swim, what if you can, but dont have any certs? Does this mean you need to get a cert/course on this now? Also are these requirements after you have been successful in the application/selection process?

Many thanks!

Yeah I'm curious about this too...and is it more specifically a life-saving qualification or a swimming one? does anyone know if there will be a particular swimming cert in question? :cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

has anybody got a link to this report?

• Advertisement

You'll find the report on www.garda.ie
    Bear in mind at this moment they are only recommendations and no-one will know what certs or qualfications they will require.

Advertisement