Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

I emailed PAS yesterday, asking them if there wasnt going to be a recruit this year would this be communicated, there giving nothing away as i fully expected just said to register for notifications. On another note, the one day courses and home courses are they really worth doing, i dont really have the money to do one but would stretch to it if they are recommended, has anybody found them an advantage or a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

jypo wrote: »
    On another note, the one day courses and home courses are they really worth doing, i dont really have the money to do one but would stretch to it if they are recommended, has anybody found them an advantage or a waste of time?

I would seriously recommend doing a course. I did one with St Raphaels Credit Union which was a 2 day course. Think it cost about €70 at the time (about 3 yrs ago). While some it I felt didnt really apply it was all good for experience and to get a feel of what the interviewers were looking for in candidates. The mock interview really showed me that I had to brush up on it big time so I went out and applied for jobs I didnt even want. All to get experience of interviews and to squash those pesky nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Hey guys,

New to the site & lookin to join the guards, have applied through publicjobs.ie.

I quite literally JUST saw this article & had to bring it to your attention ( sorry if external links aren't allowed but please bear with me) click here

basically:
    In advance of advertising the next Garda recruitment campaign in September of this year, the Minister is keen to make changes to the entry criteria to encourage recruitment from different ethnic backgrounds in our society. It is essential that future intakes of recruits to An Garda Síochána should reflect the composition of Irish society and the Minister’s view is that this is an opportune time to ensure that the criteria for entry meet the evolving needs of An Garda Síochána and the society they serve.
    On request of the Minster, the Garda Commissioner has completed a review of the eligibility criteria. The Minister will be bringing proposals on the matter to Government very shortly.
    One issue that has arisen is the requirement to hold an academic qualification in Irish - a matter which is of particular relevance to those from different ethnic backgrounds and to all those who did not receive their schooling within the Irish educational system.
    Whatever new arrangements might be put in place in this regard, the Minister’s position is that Irish will continue to have an important place in An Garda Síochána - in line with its Constitutional status as the first official language of the State - and that everyone who wishes to must be able to communicate with the Force through our native language.
    Ministers Office
    Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform
    ph: + 353 1 602 8321
    fax: +3531 676 7797
    www.justice.ie

so... does that mean there will be no new recruitment drive till September? i hoped there would be one before Summer... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

... On another note, the one day courses and home courses are they really worth doing, i dont really have the money to do one but would stretch to it if they are recommended, has anybody found them an advantage or a waste of time?

They can be pricey alrite but being honest if you were to save a little every week it won't be long adding up. The courses are a definite in my opinion. They really do prepare you more so than books you'd buy/loan from library as they test you also under the official test time-frame and guidelines during the courses and give you a great idea of where you stand & help you improve(if you need to ie). After that then is where the other books would come in - revision closer the date.

there is nothing on the PAS or Garda site so I dont know. Just have to wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

a_v525 wrote: »
    I quite literally JUST saw this article & had to bring it to your attention ( sorry if external links aren't allowed but please bear with me) click here ... does that mean there will be no new recruitment drive till September? i hoped there would be one before Summer... :(

Hey, welcome to the site mate, nice entrance :)

It looks that way alright (according to that article anyway). It would be good news for those in college and need to keep focused on study and for people who want to save before the drive opens up, and generally good for everyone else then who want to work on their own extra-curricular activites in the mean-time. With the extra competition, this would give people extra time to prepare their own application.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The courses are very helpful. I did one for my interview and it helped big time. I give it credit for helping get me into AGS as the interview was beyond anything i'd gone through before.
    Now I'm a happy student, learning loads.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

I'm looking at the article above in a positive way to be honest.

It could be a lot worse. They could have frozen recruitment completley or held off until next year.

At least now we have a time frame for how long we have to up the fitness levels, do reading, courses, etc.

Plus, we have warning that Irish may be a part of the selection so there's time to work on that too.

Think positive!! :P

jwt22 wrote: »
    Plus, we have warning that Irish may be a part of the selection so there's time to work on that too.

does the article say Irish will be part of the entrance application?

I say it shouldnt but Irish should still be taught in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bohs123

Is that article definately new???I know the date says the third but this date is under all of the articles on the website, even with ones that are a few years old.

Doesn't really make sense because Irish was dropped as being necessary so foreign nationals to join a few years ago too!

• Advertisement

I'd say its fairly recent.

It says on the garda website something along the lines that further campaigns will be targeted at minority individuals/representative of current population - something like that.

So I'd say that this announcement is just this being put in motion.

TheNog wrote: »
    does the article say Irish will be part of the entrance application?

I say it shouldnt but Irish should still be taught in the college.

Sorry, mis-read the article, thought it was saying that there would be some level of testing. Guessing now it just means you need an Irish qualification (Leaving Cert, etc)

Sorry, mis-read the article, thought it was saying that there would be some level of testing. Guessing now it just means you need an Irish qualification (Leaving Cert, etc)

they cant do that cos people from abroad will not have Irish. Im guessing its mean they will continue to teach Irish to everyone in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bohs123

Hey guys,

New to the site & lookin to join the guards, have applied through publicjobs.ie.

I quite literally JUST saw this article & had to bring it to your attention ( sorry if external links aren't allowed but please bear with me) click here

basically:

so... does that mean there will be no new recruitment drive till September? i hoped there would be one before Summer... :(

Do you know when this article was put on www.justice.ie website???

Just to be 100% sure it does mean Sept 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ian765

hey all
    just new to this, has any body done the garda recruitment course or got the home study course?? If so, what did you make of it?? Did you find it usefull?? Where is the best place to do it or to purchase the home study course???? thanks :)

Hey guys,

basically:

Think this article is encouraging considering the state of the finances. id be happy with september.

uh oh actually says the 4th of march now above the article, this could be years old for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Hey guys,

basically:

If that atricle is correct.. you have made my feckin year!!:D

uh oh actually says the 4th of march now above the article, this could be years old for all we know.

Goddamit it said 3rd March yesterday. Why cant they put the published date on the bloody articles

Bad news lads.

Its from Aug 2005 - http://www.gaelport.com/index.php?page=search_results&parent=news&string=eligibility

When you click on it todays date comes up on the main article

Back to the unknown again :(

• Advertisement

Bad news lads.

Its from Aug 2005 - http://www.gaelport.com/index.php?page=search_results&parent=news&string=eligibility

When you click on it todays date comes up on the main article

Back to the unknown again :(

I think I might have a little cry!:(:pac:

eroo wrote: »
    I think I might have a little cry!:(:pac:

Think I'll join you.

I was so excited......:o

Think I'll join you.

I was so excited......:o

Me too!

*sob sob*:pac:

Ara sure.. I can wait some more!:)

Could be a good thing. Maybe there'll be one sooner.

I'm hoping May - that'll be a year since the last one.

Could be a good thing. Maybe there'll be one sooner.

I'm hoping May - that'll be a year since the last one.

Me too.. it would give us time to prepare, while also knowing we could get the ball rolling!

I'm getting used to the watiing now. As the months go on, I find more an more to do that will stand to me once it does happen.

I'd love a definate date though, even if it was September! Least then you have a goal and know there's something at the end of it all.

Fingers crossed now that this "mini budget" thing the government are talking about won't affect the AGS budget any more. OT is already tight, there's not much more that can go besides recruiting.

On the +ve side though, increased retirements that were due anyway and more expected because of the pension levies will lead to a fall in the numbers. If the Government want to keep numbers up, they can't freeze it. (That's what I keep telling myself anyways! :rolleyes:)

I'm getting used to the watiing now. As the months go on, I find more an more to do that will stand to me once it does happen.

I'd love a definate date though, even if it was September! Least then you have a goal and know there's something at the end of it all.

Fingers crossed now that this "mini budget" thing the government are talking about won't affect the AGS budget any more. OT is already tight, there's not much more that can go besides recruiting.

On the +ve side though, increased retirements that were due anyway and more expected because of the pension levies will lead to a fall in the numbers. If the Government want to keep numbers up, they can't freeze it. (That's what I keep telling myself anyways! :rolleyes:)

Right there with ya!:)

Anything I do.. I always think to myself 'how will this help'? If ya have that mind frame, it can only help I suppose!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

joanne30 wrote: »
    I will pm you.
    Sorry forgot to mention, Im as fresh as most people going for this.(First time to apply)
    I'm getting help from the threads and posts from the board.
    Hi Joanne,would appreciate some info on where you are researching the aptitude tests as well if its not too much trouble!!Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Also just curious as to the general age of the posters on this thread..I myself have just returned to Ireland from travelling(australia,america etc.)for practically the last 10 years..I turn 31 in the summer and while i feel confident now at applying for the guards i must admit i am getting a bit apprehensive that by the time the whole process-application stage,templemore,training(assuming i get it of course):) is over i will be a bit older than most of the other trainees...It is something i always planned on doing,just got a bit carried away on the auld travellin..I have a bro in the guards and he loves it so defo will go ahead with it,just wondering if there is anyone else that kind of feels the same.

• Advertisement

happydays1 wrote: »
    Also just curious as to the general age of the posters on this thread..I myself have just returned to Ireland from travelling(australia,america etc.)for practically the last 10 years..I turn 31 in the summer and while i feel confident now at applying for the guards i must admit i am getting a bit apprehensive that by the time the whole process-application stage,templemore,training(assuming i get it of course):) is over i will be a bit older than most of the other trainees...It is something i always planned on doing,just got a bit carried away on the auld travellin..I have a bro in the guards and he loves it so defo will go ahead with it,just wondering if there is anyone else that kind of feels the same.

Happydays,

The average age on my phase was about mid twenties. Some of course were younger, some older. One fella in my class was 36 (not me before anyone even thinks of starting) when we started but tbh age doesnt matter. You will find people of all ages will mix together.
    joanne30 wrote: »
    Your not on your own I'm 30
    thenog will confirm that!!!!:p

and looks 28!!!

Advertisement