Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

eroo wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more kerry4sam and joanne30.

It is probably best to sit back and wait. I've waited 4 years to be eligible to apply, I can wait a while longer!:)

Also, it may not look great to be getting onto your TD imo. Get out there, get some experience under your belt and build up your cv.. and hit the gym too!

Yeah everyone here seems very motivated so waiting a little longer won't kill us. We'll just be that much more prepared when the time comes.

joanne30 wrote: »
    Has anyone being reading article in sunday papers regarding 1,500 Gardai to retire.
    Will this have an effect on garda recruitment if this happens as you know papers aren't gospel????

Couldn't hurt. Newly trained gardai would cost less than members with 30+ years service, so they might look at it as a cost saving. I could be overly optimistic there though.

No harm being optimistic, my new thing is to stay postive...
    It's working so far!

+1
    AGS is an essential state service, it will always be in business, it will have to recruit at some point. Its just a matter of when not if and the people who are getting annoyed waiting now will be the first people off the starting line when the competition starts.

i hope its sooner rather than later, time is not so much on my side.
    In a perfect world it would start in March that would be great for me.
    Being a little bit greedy today!

Aren't we all but that's understandable. Do you feel prepared at the moment or have you much to do?

How prepared can one be?
    I've being reading alot doing the aptitude tests over and over and over again.
    I've just taken to going to the gym which is interesting, never seen as many posers:D

Vanity is a terrible thing.

If you have that much done you'll be grand. You could start giving the rest of us pointers.

• Advertisement

I hope I'll be ok, with the current climate you can never be good enough.
    There will be so many going for it, so fingers crossed.
    Im just going to keep doing what I'm doing. When they do start the recruitment drive I'll probaly do one of them 1 day courses.

A lot of people will go for because it is a job rather than any desire to be a police officer. I think the places available will go to the people who really want it. There seems to be a lot of motivated posters here. Those are the kind of people I would expect to see in Templemore, rather than the lads who just see it as a secure job with ok money. I have interviewed people for jobs and you can tell if people have a real interest in the job.

Who's to say people that are motivated by job security with ok money won't do as good a job. i personally think what ever keeps you going and makes you go that extra mile wether it be job security, passion or what ever .As long as you do the job to the best of your abilty.:

I agree, once you're there it can be a great motivator. I was thinking about the recruitment stage. When its going to be so competitive, I think the guy who shows a real passion for the job would have an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Cant agree more with this hole waiting game going on the past year.

Has this made anybody on here look to the police in the north or scotland

As of recently ive been looking at scotland edinburgh region are recruiting at the moment , Northern Ireland will be recruiting in march and april.

Dont no if anybody be into such a life change but canada and new zealand are taking on people at the moment too.

I no it says you have to be a citzen but i heard there is ways to work around this regarding canada and new zealand.

Anyways hope to hear your thoughts as the thought of waiting two more years is scary :(

Ive decided to apply for all of them when there recruiting drives come around and what ever one i make it into i shall take it as was meant to be.

Still hoping that acceptance comes from the Garda siochana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Ya think I would prefer to live in anticipation rather that get a "NO" we are not recruiting! Another month and still waiting but hopefully it will be soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Agree with you there, was going to get on to my local TD but to be honest don't want to kill the dream either, maybe its better not to know and then out of the blue get the alert.

• Advertisement

Anybody know what saint to pray to!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Who's to say people that are motivated by job security with ok money won't do as good a job. i personally think what ever keeps you going and makes you go that extra mile wether it be job security, passion or what ever .As long as you do the job to the best of your abilty.:

Any Garda that I've spoken to said that if someone goes into the job solely for pay and/or job security.. they rarely last or perform. I got that from a Garda whos been in the job for 12 years!:)

All of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Any Garda that I've spoken to said that if someone goes into the job solely for pay and/or job security.. they rarely last or perform. I got that from a Garda whos been in the job for 12 years!:)

You've added in the word "solely", which wasn't there earlier on. Anybody who does any job SOLELY for the pay or job security, will never be up to much.

However, they're still not bad things to have in a job... and may be contributing factors (not the sole factors) as to why this job is so attractive to many people.

Oh me too want it more than anything in the world would work for free for them @ this stage im just dying to get in there :)

Geansai wrote: »
    You've added in the word "solely", which wasn't there earlier on. Anybody who does any job SOLELY for the pay or job security, will never be up to much.

However, they're still not bad things to have in a job... and may be contributing factors (not the sole factors) as to why this job is so attractive to many people.

Anyone looking for safe job with the best money, the Esb are recruiting now. Iv done jobs purely for the money and from my experience it provides no motivation to do a good job, other people may vary, but i think the recruitment process will tease out people like that, if your reading, practicing questions, keeping up to date and getting fit, then more than likely these will be the people to get in.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Carraig Fireplaces - Authorised Merchant

hope you r rite ,im sick of waiting at this stage mad to get the ball rolling if you hear any other news give us a buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

All messing aside mun23 I know that feeling, I would give anything at this present moment to get in.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I agree that some people do join up for the wrong reasons, whether that be job security or just to have the powerah!¬!!!!Those who wish to wield the powerah generally dont last that long.

Also some people will find out the job is just not for them. Seeing bodies, serious injury, being verbally abused or assaulted is not what some people have in their mind when applying.

Anyway if what I have heard is true with only 5 year contracts being offered to students in the college instead of the 30 yr contracts makes it very easy for AGS to get rid of lazy members. Now that I agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irene28

Anyone know if ya have done German in say letterkenny it and got a pass would that do for applying for the gardai? ive got a degree in history and geography from nui galway aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bekanman

I've been reading this post since December and I have to say thats its great to be able to read the posts and to find out that I'm not alone in the wait for recruitement.
    I have done the home course and found it very helpful. I have done the tests, read the material twice and am just wondering if there is anything else to read/study?
    also the fitness level needs to be .....?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irene28

Its good to see this is being used again. Just decided Im going to apply as Ive always wanted to join but things just got in the way. Hey bekanman who did you do the home study course with? I see you can get it thru Kilroys college but I dont know if its any good. Would you recommend doing the course like youve done before applying? Not sure about the Fitness level requirements but my cousin just graduated so il ask him and give you an update.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

jypo wrote: »
    Anyone looking for safe job with the best money, the Esb are recruiting now.

Would an electrition qualification qualify for increments instead of a college degree?Im just finishing school and feel im a bit young to apply for the gardai and would love to apply after a couple of years.I was planning on doing a degree in my local I.T. just to get a qualification but i also heard of the esb recruiting and thinking about applying.Im ruling out applying for the guards straight after the leaving cert but plan to when im older(im 18).Well go for a degree eg.business or apply to esb as it interests me???:cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Would an electrition qualification qualify for increments instead of a college degree?Im just finishing school and feel im a bit young to apply for the gardai and would love to apply after a couple of years.I was planning on doing a degree in my local I.T. just to get a qualification but i also heard of the esb recruiting and thinking about applying.Im ruling out applying for the guards straight after the leaving cert but plan to when im older(im 18).Well go for a degree eg.business or apply to esb as it interests me???:cool::)

Hey I got this "Increments for Educational ...
    Answer: Those members who hold a Degree or Diploma from a recognised Third Level Institution (i.e recognised by HETAC - within the 26 counties) prior to entry to an Garda Síochána are paid three additional increments. These are payable in addition to the following:-

One additional increment is payable in respect of members who attain one Grade 'B' and two Grade 'C' in 3 subjects (which must include Maths and English or Irish) at Honours Level in the Leaving Cert.

These increments are paid on the successful completion of two years service in the Force. (i.e. 2 years after attestation you should apply for same).

These regulations are contained in the Garda Síochána Finance Code
    (Note that increments are no longer paid to members who receive qualifications after joining the Force).
    " from http://www.gra.cc/faq.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Hi Joanne, when u say studyn aptitudes are you reading it from a book or online?.I myself have taken the 1 day course twice and I am going to study the home course.From your expereince do u think this is enough
    or would you suggest more?.names of online sites/books would be greatly
    appreciated!.thanks.

bekanman wrote: »
    am just wondering if there is anything else to read/study?

read anything and everything there is on AGS or policing in general. no need now to go reading into Criminology or Forensic Science if that does interest you but at least have a good understanding of whats happening in the Real World in this country. Talk to guards in your district and find out the particular problems and successes they are having with policing.

I also noticed that only a few of ye post in the main ES page. Here many guards and indeed Ambo, Fire and Civil Defence members post. If you want to find out more about the job and the other agencies we work with, then post your questions there. Remember "A stupid question is only a question that is not asked!!" - Quote from the TheNog :D
    also the fitness level needs to be .....?:confused:

Fitness level does not need to be top notch but you will need to hold your own in regards stamina and strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sweetlass

Nog, i am just double checking before i post this! can i mention a websire address of the one day course i did for those waitin to apply???:cool:

sweetlass wrote: »
    Nog, i am just double checking before i post this! can i mention a websire address of the one day course i did for those waitin to apply???:cool:

I dont particularly mind just one post with the website addy but dont go spaming it all over the board!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sweetlass

no problem..

i was just goin to say to those who are thinking bout one day course?home study etc i did the one day with gardaentry and their material was excellent and very relevant!!! def reccommend those to anyone who wants to do well in the aptitude test!!!:D

Advertisement