Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

20 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tommi78

30 goin 31 in a month feel 23

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

25 - seems to be an average age, so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

I'm mid 20s and there are quite a few guys in my intake and other intakes who are in their 30s so age is really only a number :) I would say the average age down here at the moment is mid 20s and everyone mixes really well regardless of age :) Don't let age put any of you off! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Hey im 18 doing my leaving cert in june:o.Ive been looking at applying for the gardai :D and been looking at the forums for a while now.Could someone tell me about the increments?Ive been to the gra links but could someone explain it simply for me?My parents would like me to get a degree before applying and im thinking of doing quantity surveying or something in the I.T.Is it really worth doing a degree first?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

increments? what are those :p

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

ah bollix sorry for gettin yere hopes up lads I saw the date on the article & taught it was just published yesterday but the date does display the current date.

sorry 4d mix-up.

heres hopin 4d next recruitment!!! i just hope this new emergency budget doesnt fcuk everythin up 4 us.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Anybody any wiser than me today?? :confused:

:( This waiting feels like an eternity!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Mun23 wrote: »
    :( This waiting feels like an eternity!!!

Indeed it does...:(

PSNI recrutiment opened today, anyone have any ideas on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

They should let their colleagues in AGS know that they too should be recruiting!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

eroo wrote: »
    They should let their colleagues in AGS know that they too should be recruiting!:pac:

Ye come on AGS, lets not be outdone by the northerners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Its defo sets the mind thinking Mun23!!Anyone ever hear of anyone transferring from PSNI to their comrades south of the border or is it a definite no no???

Ya just a thought! I doubt u could transfer, you would have to apply through public jobs as normal I would say, but not too sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Hi everyone,

Strongly suggest a week in spain to take your mind off things!!!!! Ha ha!!

I really dont know whats going on im more confused now more than ever!!! Anyone else feels the same!!??:confused:

I hear ya Aido! Im off to Barcelona Sunday now that u mention it :) haha

Ya it seriously helps!!! Was kinda hopin i would come back to an email from public jobs tho!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ian765

just wondering can anybody tell me, if ye still need a certain amount of Irish before applying or if any??? Been away travelling and its not up to stratch. :( thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

ian765 wrote: »
    just wondering can anybody tell me, if ye still need a certain amount of Irish before applying or if any??? Been away travelling and its not up to stratch. :( thanks!
    no u dont need irish to apply but still have to do it in the college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Hey im 18 doing my leaving cert in juneredface.gif.Ive been looking at applying for the gardai biggrin.gif and been looking at the forums for a while now.Could someone tell me about the increments?Ive been to the gra links but could someone explain it simply for me?My parents would like me to get a degree before applying and im thinking of doing quantity surveying or something in the I.T.Is it really worth doing a degree first?confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Hey im 18 doing my leaving cert in juneredface.gif.Ive been looking at applying for the gardai biggrin.gif and been looking at the forums for a while now.Could someone tell me about the increments?Ive been to the gra links but could someone explain it simply for me?My parents would like me to get a degree before applying and im thinking of doing quantity surveying or something in the I.T.Is it really worth doing a degree first?confused.gif

Yes you get more money but to be honest thats irrelevant I think.

I dont fully understand the increments myself nor do I care because if you like the job enough the money is only an added bonus

The advantage of the degree is that you have something to fall back on if you realise the Gardaí isnt for you.

You are older when you join which should mean more mature

You are more educated

A degree may help you branch out into different areas of AGS depending on you area.

Its a hard one to call.

What I think you should do is apply for the AGS in the next drive.

Start college in September. If your lucky enough to be accepted by AGS then make the choice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    ...Is it really worth doing a degree first?confused.gif
    li@mo wrote: »
    ...Start college in September. If your lucky enough to be accepted by AGS then make the choice

I agree here with li@mo on starting college. I think you should register for your course and start one at the very least. They will raise the issue of your education in the interview and showing that you have other options and are not just relying on A.G.S. would stand to you.

Besides you could be waiting anything up to 2years+ to enter Templemore and that's even with everything going well and you're getting though the stages of the recruitment process. So it would make sense to be further enhancing your skills (educational and otherwise) in the mean-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

happydays1 wrote: »
    Its defo sets the mind thinking Mun23!!Anyone ever hear of anyone transferring from PSNI to their comrades south of the border or is it a definite no no???

how could that be possible, one is run by the british government the other by the government here, its like asking can you transfer from the london metropolitan police to the gards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I agree here with li@mo on starting college. I think you should register for your course and start one at the very least. They will raise the issue of your education in the interview and showing that you have other options and are not just relying on A.G.S. would stand to you.

Besides you could be waiting anything up to 2years+ to enter Templemore and that's even with everything going well and you're getting though the stages of the recruitment process. So it would make sense to be further enhancing your skills (educational and otherwise) in the mean-time.

That's good advice. In the current uncertainty you don't know when AGS will recruit again. Keep your options open. If, God forbid, something came up that stopped you from going to Templemore at least you would have a couple of years of a degree done. It would be a great thing to have to fall back on. Also college would provide a lot of opportunities to develop skills relevant to the gardai through clubs, societies, etc. You could get involved in debating, sports or community projects. And, let's be honest, college is fun.

Def agree, I rejected a college course and went for the guards and failed and was left with nothing. Ya ALWAYS need to have a back up!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Yes College is Definently an option!.And I would suggest a course in any form of Social Studies area!.
    Kerry4Sam is right the back log is Pretty high and unless Ireland's enconomy starts to boom this second
    you will be waiting well over a year to 2 years to get in.Plus college shows discipline and determination
    these are strength and Qualities AGS are looking for!.And you are only 18 You have time on your side!.
    Getting to the point of increments....with a third degree qaulification after you have finished your 2
    year probationary you only have to wait 2 years before you can apply for a sergeants' course without it
    you will have to wait.Increments I think its worth an extra 2000-3000k a year!.Not much over 1 or two years
    but base this over a career of 30 years its 90000k probably a third of a mortgage so I think College is
    definently a Positive option!...Goodluck to You mufc4life. The only Problem I got with you is Your a Man Utd fan!(:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Sorry without a third degree Qualification after your probationary period you will have to wait 3 years!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

I was just thinking about something and i wonder if anyone can help. When the next recruitment drive happens, is there a cap on the number of people they accept or if say 1000 people reach the standard required are 1000 people then put into the system for a call up even if there is 400 places to be got this year for example and then they roll over to next intake etc.

That might sound confusing, but the jist is do they only accept the top of the bunch to fill a quota or is it the standard set that decides how many get accepted. So are we competing against each other or against a set standard.

Might be a stupid question but anybody have any insight into that?

Advertisement