Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Blue Belle wrote: »
    In the mean time, instead of getting frustrated with waiting for a recruitment drive I'd suggest it might be a good idea to start thinking about how to make yourself stand out from the crowd. The competition is going to be tougher than it's ever been and if you're serious about becoming a guard then you should be prepared for that.

I agree with you there, think theres going to be alot tag alongs looking to get a safe job in the current climate, but for the people who really want it, it shouldnt be a problem, the better prepared should get in, would be a pity for those people and i include myself a one if there opportunity was taken by someone looking for the job security and the money aspect of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Just browsing last few pages and seems to be a lot of worried people here looking for answers if there will be a drive this year or not. I think the only way to defintely find out is to email one of the big newspapers and get them to find out.
    Irish Independent would know who to ask i.e Minister of justice or Garda press office. Jim Cusack from the indo would im sure would write an article on this as it of national importance and would put to bed any lingering doubt/rumours
    plus there would be a link/sticky for all then!

Just my 2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Blue Belle wrote: »
    In the mean time, instead of getting frustrated with waiting for a recruitment drive I'd suggest it might be a good idea to start thinking about how to make yourself stand out from the crowd. The competition is going to be tougher than it's ever been and if you're serious about becoming a guard then you should be prepared for that.

Totally agree with you there. That's what I've been trying to do to make this waiting a bit easier. I've done a community Gatekeeper course, First Aid, volunteer in a group for special needs in my community (have always done this though) and am even doing Irish classes! Between that and the gym to up the fitness levels, I don't have time to get depressed about this waiting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

jypo wrote: »
    ...would be a pity for those people and i include myself a one if there opportunity was taken by someone looking for the job security and the money aspect of it.

I have to disagree. Its obviously a tough recruitment process and the best people suited for the job will get them in the end. If someone is smarter, better suited and more able for the job, but they also appreciate the job security and reasonable salary, there is no reason why they should not get the job before someone, even if the other candidate would be "happier" in the job, or want it for different reasons.

Job security and money are important factors and can seriously motivate people, especially with commitments or mortgages.

In the end the best suited people will get the jobs. I do agree with Blue Belles point, that the competition will be much tougher,and may the best man win (whatever his motivations!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Geansai wrote: »
    In the end the best suited people will get the jobs. I do agree with Blue Belles point, that the competition will be much tougher,and may the best man or woman win (whatever his motivations!!!!)

Fixed that for ya;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

The country is ****ed moneywise but from what I hear the Gardaí will have no option but to recruit ALOT of people, sooner rather than later. Not sure how it will play out but I'd be optimistic.

Waiting...patiently...still waiting... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

joanne30 wrote: »
    My point is what ever helps you it could be an Irish class, first aid or self defence, it just makes the wait a little more easier and bearable till the next recruitment.

I was told by several gardai that when you go into the interview or when your writing your apllication form you it should go something like this:

Community, community, community, teamwork, communication, community, community, willingness to learn, community.

they dont want to hear bout bouncers or security men or black belts or boxers.

this is just what i was told im not sayin any of the above is useless but maybe people will take it on board. or if im wrong, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Scouser wrote: »
    I was told by several gardai that when you go into the interview or when your writing your apllication form you it should go something like this:

Community, community, community, teamwork, communication, community, community, willingness to learn, community.

they dont want to hear bout bouncers or security men or black belts or boxers.

this is just what i was told im not sayin any of the above is useless but maybe people will take it on board. or if im wrong, let me know!

You know that's it pretty well summed up by there by ya. They train you in the martial arts etc down there so previous knowledge is definitely not necessary. What they need to know is your community involvement and team-working skills more so than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You know that's it pretty well summed up by there by ya. They train you in the martial arts etc down there so previous knowledge is definitely not necessary. What they need to know is your community involvement and team-working skills more so than anything else

as the fella said, they would rather hear about your dealings with the public through bar work in the local GAA club then your time as head bouncer on the door of a club in templebar or limerick or wherever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Not sure if this has been posted before. Worth a read though.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2009/01/25/story38990.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

jwt22 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted before. Worth a read though.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2009/01/25/story38990.asp

A good article alright. Awful pity the journo thinks that Templemore is in Co Offaly though :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shumac

Hey Greydiamond,

Just referring to ur comment that the reserves are just wannabes.. I'm in the Reserves for the last 6 months and the reason i joined is because i'm still in college and thought the experiences will be good when i do apply for the full time gardai.. Plus to find out is that what i want to do with the rest of my life or just continue with my degree..
    And believe me, when ur on night shifts doing 10pm to 6am and dealing with all that sh*t, who cares if u are full time or part time, the fact is the gardai are seriously lacking man power and every bit helps.

Hope this doesnt come across like i'm arguing with you, just giving you my view.
    I hear there is a complete embargo on recruitment untill 2011 because of the current economic situation. It was a political ploy in the first place to increase the Garda strenth from eleven thousand to fifteen, just look across to the UK They are making thousand of their police redundent.

Hey, Forgot to say since the budget the govemnent have decided to drop Tipperary, Dublins next and Cork to expensive!
    There not there anymore
    Oh and Offaly......

Careful now Im an Offaly man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

shumac wrote: »
    I hear there is a complete embargo on recruitment untill 2011 because of the current economic situation. It was a political ploy in the first place to increase the Garda strenth from eleven thousand to fifteen, just look across to the UK They are making thousand of their police redundent.

The post you replied to was posted back in April/May of last year. Times have changed since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

My new thing for lent is to be postive, so instead of giving up material things Im giving up thinking negative. Im going to believe there WILL be a recruitment soon and Im going to work my butt off to get in.
    No more negativity...
    Hope this works out!

I give you a day at most :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sweetlass

Thanks for the support!

Joanne30, just wanna say i have all done and waiting on the call, but can i say i once was were u were waiting for them to recruit.. and i know it seems like forever but trust me ur time will come and once you apply u will then focus on an aptitude.. then... interview etc!! to be honest the waiting is the worst!!!
    So my advice is save a bit get fit go to pratice aptitude tests!! do as much as u can to ensure u are right up there when it does open for recruitment..
    It seems a long time but trust me time goes by so quickly!!!

hope this helps!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

I just read that article from the link above, and i don't know about you guys, but I'm definately keeping my fingers crossed for a campaign in the next few months...with an unusually large number of Gardaí retiring this year as a result of this pension levy, and with smaller numbers of Student Gardaí in training, surely they'll have something coming up :rolleyes:??!! Just trying to convince myself really...!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Yeh I think it's absolutely horrible waiting but as they say
    "What doesn't kill ya will only make u stronger".Headn back to college
    took up some voluntary work and Im in full time employment so I have certain
    distractions to keep my mind busy.but I hope the government realises that We
    have to replace the outgoing Gardai and add to the number being replaced!.
    Im holding out for another Recruitment campaign this year.
    Best of luck Joanne30 ur positive attitude is exactly what the Gardai need!.
    Hope ur wait ends soon!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sweetlass

Exactly!!! everyone waiting has to keep positive!!! their is enough negitivity in this country at the moment so we dnt need to join!!!!
    the time will come for a recruitment drive and everyone should give it 100% and make sure they are up there with the best of the best when applying!!
    One piece of advice i will give people waiting to apply is when u do apply and they send u an email to book an aptitude test date the minute the lines opening for booking do it straight away ! it looks to be the people who do it are on week of aptitudes are batch one!!!!:o

• Advertisement

I met a lady from PAS last week and she told me that there is definietly going to 400 people taken in this year. They have also been told to expect a recruitment drive this year providing of course there is enough money to do it. AGS want to recruit again this year and I was told funding has been set aside for it. This funding of course is there providing nothing serious happens that could divert that funding away from recruitment.

I think everyone here knows any recruitment drive will be very competitive. Back in my time (only 4 yrs ago) 13,000 people applied for 1,200 jobs so you could say 1 in 10 got the job. Expect the number of people to apply to jump to 18-20,000 for any future drive for 400 places in the college.

My advice to everyone hoping to apply is to get out there and get some experience under your belt. Do courses, read up on AGS and policing, do interviews for jobs you dont really want, do free online aptitude test etc etc. Doing any or all of these will increase your chances and make you a more attractive person for the job rather than the person who walks off the street hoping to get in without any preparation done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Thanks for the advice "The Nog" really appreciated, am thinkin positive and Im sure there will be a recruitment campagne this year :)
    Looking forward to the future... Will get there eventually!

It's nice to see others have a positive attitude too! :)

Me too :) will help out in any way that I can, we are all in the same boat!

I think we have to as much as it's great to vent some days, it would make alot more sense to help each other.

+1

I like your attitude joanne!

When you think about it, we are applying for a postion thats very much community orientated why not apply it here. If I can help any one with anything I will.
    Mun23 wrote: »
    Me too :) will help out in any way that I can, we are all in the same boat!

now ye are talking

my boots need shining before going to work. can anyone of ye be here in 5 minutes? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

88 full time student gardai started on 2nd Feb just gone.

Ill be there in two :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Thanks that gives me a bit of hope its just so hard to know what way it will go my sgt over training of reserves reckons they may even run out of money to pay wages never mind run a new competition!!! But yes you are right if you really want to get into full time community work etc all looks very good!! I dodnt realise how much there was to the reserves until I went to templemore its a huge advantage to have got the oppurtunity to join Garda Reserve and I hope that its the start of things to come!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Anybody know when the next open day in templemore will be, it says on the Garda website it will be announced shortly, is it held around a particular time of year traditionally?

Advertisement