Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Well I dont want to sound like a smart ass but if they capped it at the certain 400 and only told 400 applicants out of 10000 that they were getting in We wouldn't have a backlog would We.If they think 900,1000 or even 9,999 people are Good enough for the job with only 400 places well then you get the much talked about backlog!.Hope that sheds light on your Question JYPO!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Well I dont want to sound like a smart ass but if they capped it at the certain 400 and only told 400 applicants out of 10000 that they were getting in We wouldn't have a backlog would We.If they think 900,1000 or even 9,999 people are Good enough for the job with only 400 places well then you get the much talked about backlog!.Hope that sheds light on your Question JYPO!.

Ye was hoping thats the case, would prefer to be in a backlog rather than not in at all.Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Hey everyone
    with all this waiting and uncertainy, Has anybody applied to other police organisations.

I just applied for the Psni there there recuit windo is open for the next few months

also still have to fill out the scottish police application too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

I do believe there is a transfer, but only as an observer for a specified amount of time. There is no transfer of power. One of the lads/ladies on the psni forum quoted this. Not sure if it works both ways...
    TomRooney wrote: »
    how could that be possible, one is run by the british government the other by the government here, its like asking can you transfer from the london metropolitan police to the gards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

PSNI and gardai can and do work experience on both sides of the border. In the South it is done via competition within the AGS. Cant remember how long you can do it for but its basically see hows its done the other side of the border and forge relations between the two forces. Thankfully the relations between the PSNI and Gardai is stronger than ever and long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 chloe22

hey im new to all this!! was wondering when the next appitude for the guards will be?? Im in college but Im finished in May and I have always wanted to join the guards. I just cant seem to find anything on it anywhere even a supposed date. I have registered with public jobs.
    Thanx if anyone could help i would grealy appriciate it!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 IslandFella

I'm new to this too. The difference with me is I'm 33 with a degree & Masters in Software Engineering. I'm thinking of applying for the guards ASAP. Time aint on my side so I'm wondering if I have missed the boat as a result of this huge backlog going on at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I'm new to this too. The difference with me is I'm 33 with a degree & Masters in Software Engineering. I'm thinking of applying for the guards ASAP. Time aint on my side so I'm wondering if I have missed the boat as a result of this huge backlog going on at the mo.

From what I've been told, once you are within the age limit on the date of applying you are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eilissinead

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a little help!

I really want to apply to the Gardai, I have for years now...

but when I go onto www.publicjobs.ie all I see a link for is the reserves! :(

Can anybody help me on this please??

Thanks

x

Hi, youre actually registering for the alerts not appplying so you might be in the wrong section on that site

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eilissinead

oh great, thanks! Do you know the link by any chance that I should go to?

xxeilissineadxx

:)

yep just go to the register bar in the top left, and when registering you should be given the choice of alerts you want and it will be under security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Hi guys!

Thanks

x

Yes, An Garda Siochana recruit as and when the need arises and do not recruit on an ongoing basis. As far as I know the last campaign was for 2008 as the recruitment campaigns have been very frequent over the last few years. However, given that the country is in a major recession I would have thought it highly unlikely that there will be any further recruitment campaigns over the next 12 months or possibly longer. Indeed at this rate I would imagine that the candidates who were succesful at the last recruitment will be lucky just to be permitted to commence their training.

Also expect if and when An Garda Siochana do start recruiting again expect the numbers applying to dramatically increase and thereby making it substantially more difficult to get selected.

Thanks Ero. This is good for me even if it on a per application basis, ie if I fail this recruitment process, my taken age will begin from receiving my app for the next recruitment drive.

Eli, from what I understand there are two recruit drives a tear and it can take anything up to two years from when you first apply to when you set foot in Templemore. I'm a noob too, so I'm just giving my two cents.

On anothe mote, I see Garda Preparation Courses advertised in newspapers every now and again. These are unrelated to the official recruitment process. Are they any good or are participating in them even necessary in order to succeed? I believe ex-gardai run some of them.

dats right, scary and harsh words for us hopefuls. Its reality though and I'm not hoprful for myself to even get a chance to apply.

I would not worry too much, there will be a recruit by the end of the year or an announcement of one. Im positive there will be one.

Jypo I swore 2 myself that I would remain positive and convince myself there will be another campaign this year and Im
    sticking 2 it.So here's to Garda Recruitment Campaign 2009!!.

Hi guys!

Thanks

x

Eilissinead, You firstly need 2 have an account with Publicjobs.ie once you have that You can then set up for job alerts.this should be
    near the top left hand corner of Your screen.When you click on this You will be asked to click a new "Job Alert" When you do this a list
    of selected Government vacancies will come up.You then click Security/Emergency Services and under this a role will have to be selected
    you then select "GARDA" when this is done click the "SUBMIT" bar.You will then be notified of the next up and coming Garda Recruitment Campaign!.Goodluck!.
    Security

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Jypo I swore 2 myself that I would remain positive and convince myself there will be another campaign this year and Im
    sticking 2 it.So here's to Garda Recruitment Campaign 2009!!.

Good stuff, me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DAX1

Hi, Long time viewer, 1st time poster. There was an article in the Irish Independant last week on Garda numbers and how a number of well known high ranking officers will be retiring this year. There was also an article on the 1st African member of the Garda reserve, a Nigerian guy who is hoping to get in full time. Hopefully the press know more than we do about what numbers are needed as they were definitely pushing for a campaign as there hasn't been one for almost a year now.
    A bit about me, Ive been waiting since last July, when I decided to join up.. missed the last campaign by a month or 2. Wentto the open day last October and have been studying for the aptitude test since. I also joined the Civil Defence in Janaury... I'm 27 and have a degree. Is there anything thing else I should be doing to improve my chances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

This is just personal opinion and I've nothing to back it up but I see recruitment jumping again slightly over the next year or two. 2 reasons for this.

1. With the new pension levy, a lot of members with 30+ years service are paying extra for a pension that they're already entitled to.

2. There was a large recruitment drive 30 years ago with the development of the troubles in the north. A lot of these members are due to retire soon too.

Here here charliecroker. Watching sky news now and everyting going on up north(im not making a comparison but our gangland scene is as bad), it just shows how important security and policing is and that it is the one thing that should not be pennypinched . Im sure AGS are puting every pressure on government to maintain recruitment.

Here Here!.(:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,043 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

when the gardai recruitment finally begins this is what im going in with

youth community worker and soccer referee

tbh I was thinking doing a degree but unsure of what to do

so do you think youth community worker and soccer referee will be enough?

Will a stint in the reserves help increase our chances during the recruitment interviews? Or is this just a matter of opinion with an obvious answer.

Headshot what your doing is excellent.AGS interviews are looking for COMMUNITY,COMMUNITY and COMMUNITY based work.Im a team leader
    for a nationwide community group and I also volunteer with another local group!.
    I myself will go back to College in Sep and Im going to Uptake a course In Social Care!.So if your Unsure of a course anything connected
    to the social field will give you a good shout in the interview!.
    IslandFella the reserves should help.in the Interview you will have the chance to tell the panel about your experiences as a reservist!
    So from a personal opinion I say go for it!.

Ruairi, have you already participated in the interview process?

Island fella I did My aptitude test in march last year nd was ranked 900 and sumtin cant remem exactly. I did a mock interview
    with a guy in Templemore last March....but I had failed Maths for my leaving Cert in which I was repeating the same year so when
    I had to submit my Results for the Interview I told them the story and they told Me that I was uneligible to proceed onto the next stage!.
    I got My C1 happy now.But I couldn't proceed further on in the competition!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

TheNog wrote: »
    Oh bit of a tease are you? and on page 69

are you sending me subtle hints? :pac:

No they beat it into you

Ah here. I use my boots for the bog, playing football, clubbing etc

Cant be expected to clean myself. Remember this is all about teamwork

Ill give ye time in lieu (TOIL) :D

Will only accept overtime maybe a bit of sub for the trouble :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Will a stint in the reserves help increase our chances during the recruitment interviews? Or is this just a matter of opinion with an obvious answer.

Island fella as a reserve garda I am telling you do it!!! HUGE advantage trust me!!! If you want any details on it mail me no problem whatsoever. Take it this way your at your interview you say you always wanted to be a guard. Super asks you if you had so much interest why didnt you join the reserve? Well why dont you!!!!!

Advertisement