Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

TheNog wrote: »
    now ye are talking

my boots need shining before going to work. can anyone of ye be here in 5 minutes? :D

Didn't they teach you how to do that in Templemore Nog??:rolleyes::pac:

But ye have a good point, we should help each other as best we can.. count me in!(except for shining a certain lazy mod's boots!)

joanne30 wrote: »
    Due to the new budget gardai can ask members of the public to shine boots, doesn't apply if your from Offaly.
    TheNog will have do his own!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

would they offer overtime for this boot shining??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

You do mine first with the uniform on, and I'll think about doing yours!:D

Oh bit of a tease are you? and on page 69

are you sending me subtle hints? :pac:
    eroo wrote: »
    Didn't they teach you how to do that in Templemore Nog??:rolleyes::pac:

No they beat it into you
    Due to the new budget gardai can ask members of the public to shine boots, doesn't apply if your from Offaly.
    TheNog will have do his own!

Ah here. I use my boots for the bog, playing football, clubbing etc

Cant be expected to clean myself. Remember this is all about teamwork
    lucygoosy wrote: »
    would they offer overtime for this boot shining??? :D

Ill give ye time in lieu (TOIL) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

I think I went 2 1 this year around Oct/November.I'm nearly sure
    they have an Open day round April or some time just to interest
    school leavers in a career in AGS!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Sorry I ment oct/november 2008!.

Id say give the garda college a buzz, think its around April alright because I went that time last year! :) Might head down again myself too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trickysituation

Whats PAS?

Public Appointment Service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sweetlass

Whats PAS?
    public appointments service!!!!;)

Ah i see! Ha!

If ur on to them ask them when they are recruiting Im sick of ringing them cant get an answer :rolleyes:

Mun23 wrote: »
    If ur on to them ask them when they are recruiting Im sick of ringing them cant get an answer :rolleyes:

No i just read the nogs post about PAS and i was thinking who the hell are they!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sweetlass

Mun23 wrote: »

did u try garda hq??

Ya they say try Public Jobs! :(

Hi Joanne I know ya, it goes throught Public jobs 1st only moves onto Garda HQ when u reach the medical stage! At least its Friday I guess :) another week closer to our dream...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Hows that clubbing working out for you with the boots.
    Is it just the boots you go clubbing in???;)

Here is me going to Copper Face Jacks lsat month in the snow :D

Naked-Cowboy_280_436346a.jpg

ok everyone back on topic now!!! :p

swiss swoo! Saw u on Xpose too actually! :p

Here is me going to Copper Face Jacks lsat month in the snow :D

Naked-Cowboy_280_436346a.jpg

ok everyone back on topic now!!! :p

Your the guy in the jeans, lurking in the background ya?:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/news/garda-numbers-to-decline-due-to-economic-collapse-1655879.html

Worth a read, doesn't say there will be no recruit at all which is interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Loving the positive vibes! Fingers crossed for an open day soon. It would give us all something new to discuss for one thing! We could get months out of planning the trip down and discussing it afterwards...it'd take us up until summer! ;)

Just want to float an idea.

If all of us or some of us email a specific TD, and ask him or her to enquire if there will be a recruitment drive this year,. I was just browsing on a website www.oireachtas.ie, there is a section there with parliamentary questions, and some of the questions in the past have been about garda recruitment etc so i dont think it would be a problem, also if you read this article it says garda recruitment to continue into 2009. http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Tackling%20Crime%20%E2%80%93%20An%20Absolute%20Priority%20Justice%20Sector%20Estimates%20Package%20to%20Preserve%20Frontline%20Services

and

http://www.jcfj.ie/pqs/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=320&sobi2Id=1795&Itemid=27

I think it would be no harm to ask a TD to ask a question on our behalf, because after all they are there to represent us, anything i have read so far regarding a recruitment drive has said there will be one, however in some of the stuff i have read its hard to distinguish between intake and recruitment drive and some of it is from 2008 and as we all know alot has happened since then. And just to say im well prepared to sit tight and wait but i just dont want to find out 2 years down the line theres nothing happening ,i think a little bit of communication on the matter would hurt no one.

Just an idea, anybody think good or bad one? or any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. It's great to find somewhere with so much information on joining the GS. I'm waiting for the next recruitment drive, fingers crossed we'll hear something soon. It might be an idea to lobby our TDs a little bit like the previous poster mentioned. It is what we pay them so handsomely for, is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

jypo wrote: »
    Just want to float an idea.

If all of us or some of us email a specific TD, and ask him or her to enquire if there will be a recruitment drive this year,. I was just browsing on a website www.oireachtas.ie, there is a section there with parliamentary questions, and some of the questions in the past have been about garda recruitment etc so i dont think it would be a problem, also if you read this article it says garda recruitment to continue into 2009. http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Tackling%20Crime%20%E2%80%93%20An%20Absolute%20Priority%20Justice%20Sector%20Estimates%20Package%20to%20Preserve%20Frontline%20Services

and

http://www.jcfj.ie/pqs/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=320&sobi2Id=1795&Itemid=27

I think it would be no harm to ask a TD to ask a question on our behalf, because after all they are there to represent us, anything i have read so far regarding a recruitment drive has said there will be one, however in some of the stuff i have read its hard to distinguish between intake and recruitment drive and some of it is from 2008 and as we all know alot has happened since then. And just to say im well prepared to sit tight and wait but i just dont want to find out 2 years down the line theres nothing happening ,i think a little bit of communication on the matter would hurt no one.

Just an idea, anybody think good or bad one? or any other ideas?

great idea, was thinking the same myself, also badger yer local td!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I met a lady from PAS last week and she told me that there is definietly going to 400 people taken in this year. They have also been told to expect a recruitment drive this year providing of course there is enough money to do it. AGS want to recruit again this year and I was told funding has been set aside for it. This funding of course is there providing nothing serious happens that could divert that funding away from recruitment.

Im re-posting TheNogs' post here as I think people should be aware that was is being done is being done. If the funds are still there a drive will be held, if not then we will have to wait until next year to apply. I seriously don't think "badgering" your local TD will help as they would be as clueless as us as to what could happen to divert finances away from aspects like recruitment. An G.S. need more resources and recruits but it's the powers that be in the higher echelons of power that make the final call and that is by no means an easy feat. Nothing is as clear-cut as it once was and people of my age, my generation have not seen the likes of this before and that is resulting in increased anxiety.
    Their are quite a few people on this thread clearly determined to apply and join and just need to get the ball rolling (so to speak) but with nobody able to know what's around any corner or could break next week, I can see the powers that be holding onto their recruitment money for as long as possible (especially when considering the backlog of people with everything done and able to run to Templemore in the morning).
    Asking your local TD certainly can't hurt but I wouldn't be expecting anything but a possible empty promise to look into it and see what they can find out :rolleyes: (which I think will inevitably result in what the lady from PAS told TheNog)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

You could always just go straight to the main man and ask the taoiseach:

http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/s/askthetaoiseach

Im going to email my TD . Just to say im not moaning or anything. I know garda recruitment is not top priority for government right now. But shir what harm in asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

I understand there's a backlog of people waiting to go down, but at this present moment Im living on hope.
    As for "badgering" your local TD can't see this helping, if there's money there for recruiting it will happen other wise I will wait.
    All I can do is cross fingers.

That is true, but waiting sucks. I suppose the best thing to do is use that time to prepare for when the recruitment starts, lots of time down the gym for me :( .

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more kerry4sam and joanne30.

It is probably best to sit back and wait. I've waited 4 years to be eligible to apply, I can wait a while longer!:)

Also, it may not look great to be getting onto your TD imo. Get out there, get some experience under your belt and build up your cv.. and hit the gym too!

Advertisement