Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

thekopend wrote: »
    The Irish won't be a problem if you have a second language with English but the maths will be, if you dont have it you will not be eligible to apply and you won't even get a look in or be allowed to do aptitude. You can send away the application alright but as soon as pas receive it and see the education short comings it will stop there. If I were you I'd focus on getting required education ASAP so you can go for it the next time round!

It was ment to be sorted this year, but I was not too sure what why my application was going with the reserves. It will be sorted next year, not much I can do just wait considering the leaving cert is once a year. I have a college course done based around CCNA and the CCNA cert. Not too sure but there may be an educational exemption that I could use just to get a feel for the interview. As I said don't expect myself to be a runner this time around but I am far from giving up hope !

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ladymuck Thesecond

msg11 wrote: »
    It was ment to be sorted this year, but I was not too sure what why my application was going with the reserves. It will be sorted next year, not much I can do just wait considering the leaving cert is once a year. I have a college course done based around CCNA and the CCNA cert. Not too sure but there may be an educational exemption that I could use just to get a feel for the interview. As I said don't expect myself to be a runner this time around but I am far from giving up hope !

That's it, hopefully there'll be loads of chances from now on if they keep any kind of regular recruitment going!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LGQ

That's it, hopefully there'll be loads of chances from now on if they keep any kind of regular recruitment going!! :)

Exactly, lets hope there's plenty of recruitment opportunities in the next few years..in the meantime crucial to keep the garda reserve going so any advantage that this can give in the recruitment process can be seized upon!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

any word on the new entry requirments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

LGQ wrote: »
    Exactly, lets hope there's plenty of recruitment opportunities in the next few years..in the meantime crucial to keep the garda reserve going so any advantage that this can give in the recruitment process can be seized upon!

well, according to the news the economy has 'vastly improved' so that'll help recruitment :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Love the way people get fit for a few months. If you get put on a beat unit in one of the big city stations full time it won't be just getting fit for a few months :pac:

I think it's just quite as no one really knows what to expect in the next drive. I have a few educational requirement problems (Maths and Irish), but I have the Reserves to build on. Doubtful about getting in with this recruitment drive but I will still apply and find out what is needed and build on that.

Do hope a few get in on here, help share some fresh information with us ! The thing that would worry me most the aptitude test, as I was never good at them, if you gave me one for my current job I would more than likely fail it.

But if you don't meet the minimum requirements then why are you applying?

Go back and do the leaving cert and then apply. You be wasting your time otherwise. Being a reserve isn't going to get you to bypass the educational requirements.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Scouser wrote: »
    any word on the new entry requirments?

Was wondering about them myself. Are the recommended requirements going to be brought in and applied to the new drive or is that all they were..recommendations ? Who knows. It probably wouldn't do much harm to have them anyway but I know for some people getting them might be tricky, also costly if they won't be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

annlewis wrote: »
    Was wondering about them myself. Are the recommended requirements going to be brought in and applied to the new drive or is that all they were..recommendations ? Who knows. It probably wouldn't do much harm to have them anyway but I know for some people getting them might be tricky, also costly if they won't be needed.

Manual handling and swimming cert was mooted but i fail to see how that would of benefit to a garda recruit

drivers licence, first aid and ecdl make perfect sense

Cd_doe wrote: »
    But if you don't meet the minimum requirements then why are you applying?

Go back and do the leaving cert and then apply. You be wasting your time otherwise. Being a reserve isn't going to get you to bypass the educational requirements.. .

I stated why I am applying to get experience of the application process and to find out what else I may need.

No one said I was going to bypass anything in fact if you look back at what I said, I have never once on this site said been in the reserves is going to get me into the full time. I live in the real world, chances are slim cause of my educational grades. Where you got been a reserve and bypassing the requirements I can't understand. Do people not think for once second some people might just enjoy the reserves and are not just in it for the apparent easy access to a job? It is a job I would hopefully someday like to do given the chance, I get experience in the reserves not only for a future job but life experience too. If I had of listened to that type of comment when I was applying for the reserves I wouldn't be in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I live in the real world, chances are slim cause of my educational grades.

In fact your chances are nil if you don't have the grades, not slim, 'in the real world'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

I stated why I am applying to get experience of the application process and to find out what else I may need.

No one said I was going to bypass anything in fact if you look back at what I said, I have never once on this site said been in the reserves is going to get me into the full time. I live in the real world, chances are slim cause of my educational grades. Where you got been a reserve and bypassing the requirements I can't understand. Do people not think for once second some people might just enjoy the reserves and are not just in it for the apparent easy access to a job? It is a job I would hopefully someday like to do given the chance, I get experience in the reserves not only for a future job but life experience too. If I had of listened to that type of comment when I was applying for the reserves I wouldn't be in it now.

Sorry. Not trying to offend. I just think it's a total waste of time applying...
    You won't get much experience of the application process. You won't go as far as the aptitude test.

It's like applying for a job as a taxi driver with no driving licence...

Stay in the reserves and try go back and sort the leaving cert. By then you will have experience and have a far better chance

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

Is there any chance of even getting in if ur not in the reserves

Cd_doe wrote: »
    Sorry. Not trying to offend. I just think it's a total waste of time applying...
    You won't get much experience of the application process. You won't go as far as the aptitude test.

It's like applying for a job as a taxi driver with no driving licence...

Stay in the reserves and try go back and sort the leaving cert. By then you will have experience and have a far better chance

I just took offence to the Reserves part. I have never once said on this site I will get in with just cause of the Reserves. The leaving cert will be sorted out next year, there's nothing I can do the test is once a year, I have nothing to lose entering the competition when it's running.

oreilly94 wrote: »

Just as much a chance as everyone else to be honest. Plenty of suitable people out there that are not in the Reserves for various reasons.

Just as much a chance as everyone else to be honest. Plenty of suitable people out there that are not in the Reserves for various reasons.

Ha I hope so. Guess its best keeping the hopes up sure if u do good in the attests and interview I guess why not because everyone is trained up the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Anybody know of any from the north, I know one, I myself am from the north and I've contacted the garda just an enquiry about applicants from the north, and the response I got was they would welcome applicants from the north, which was cool, it's something I've looked at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

oreilly94 wrote: »

You have just as good a chance as anybody else. You do not have to be in the reserves to apply.

Being in the reserves may benefit because you will have a greater understanding of the job, and a bit of experience of the role.

If you feel you have the skills and capability of doing the job then I see no reason why you don't have a chance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I'd be very suspicious of anyone who wanted to join the old bill.

I've met quite a few of them over the years and put it this way they weren't the nicest people in the world.
    Most of the ones I met were bullies who were on power trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Jumboman wrote: »

I've met quite a few of them over the years and put it this way they weren't the nicest people in the world.

Well you have come to the wrong part of boards.ie then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I've met a few assholes working in Tesco. All tesco staff must be assholes so....

• Advertisement

You'll find that type of person in any job eventually come to the attention of someone that will put them in there place and maybe even end there time with the company or organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I know a good few of them from my local area and they all seem decent enough. Especially the younger members :) No doubt there are assholes but that's life :o

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adrian2

Has anyone done the Kilroy course is it any good??????I've been asking this all over boards and getting no answers!!

adrian2 wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Kilroy course is it any good??????I've been asking this all over boards and getting no answers!!

I'd love to know my self .. Was thinking of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

im sure they are like before they joined up - the uniform doesnt make them that way

From the minute an applicant applies for a role, how long does it take from application to templemore in previous campaigns anyway?

From the minute an applicant applies for a role, how long does it take from application to templemore in previous campaigns anyway?

It's different for everyone, when there was continuos recruitment it took anything from 5 months to a year depending on where you were positioned in the aptitude which then depicted how soon you got your interview. On archived thread which goes back to 2005 there was an intake in which some people got in start to finish within 4 months, such was the demand but times are different now. I recon 7/8 months will be an accurate guess for this one.

thekopend wrote: »
    It's different for everyone, when there was continuos recruitment it took anything from 5 months to a year depending on where you were positioned in the aptitude which then depicted how soon you got your interview. On archived thread which goes back to 2005 there was an intake in which some people got in start to finish within 4 months, such was the demand but times are different now. I recon 7/8 months will be an accurate guess for this one.

Thanks bud, what's the process involved as in from start to finish, obv aptitude testing, is there interviews and assessments and physicals, I'm from up north and I'm really looking into this, and some info would be really appreciative lol

• Advertisement

Thanks bud, what's the process involved as in from start to finish, obv aptitude testing, is there interviews and assessments and physicals, I'm from up north and I'm really looking into this, and some info would be really appreciative lol

Whip through this it will answer all your questions

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055681811/1/#post62102378

Advertisement