Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday evening/Monday - Very Severe Storm

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Longfield wrote: »
    Have a look at the pressure chart on http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ , looks like there may be a band of strong winds down the middle of the country if the isobar density is anything to go by, certainly looks pretty blowy, nothing here thankfully compared to last night.
    Yep, blowing a gale in Mountrath, not severe but enough to knock my wheelie bins over :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Winds quite high here also since 630pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

According to the six news, DunLaoighre had the highest gust of last night at 113kph. So much for the non event in Dublin after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭squonk

Feck all happened really all evening. Managed to get soaked on the way to the bus but the weather is being pretty civilised out here at the moment. Looks like I might catch up on my sleep tonight then! Ready for the new event tomorrow evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Seen as this thread is almost history I'm gonna throw in a little bit of storm advice. If your house starts to flood from the local river or seafront, the best thing you can do is keep the doors shut from the first drop. Carry your granny out through the window. When the water has subsided there wont be silt and leaves and toilet roll sludge sitting in your kitchen, the water inside will actually have appeared filtered and clear ... and thats a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Its RTE land for a while , didn't know my sky dish had also taken flight , hehe , the wind got so violent for that short spell , it seemed to blow from every direction , have shrubs/small trees that fell in the opposite direction to the wind , could it have been some sort of whirlwind , anyway its all over now .

pict0011wg4.jpg

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Its RTE land for a while , didn't know my sky dish had also taken flight , hehe ,]

I have had the opposite effect, I can now receive all channels clearly now, previously a small number of the +1 channels were a bit pixelated! every once in awhile the wind blows good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭squonk

It's gotten a little breezy here in the last while. Storm trying to make a half-arsed effort to show us it was actually tough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

I have had the opposite effect, I can now receive all channels clearly now, previously a small number of the +1 channels were a bit pixelated! every once in awhile the wind blows good :)

gimmie back my dish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Just looking at some of the data from the yesterday, apart from the batteries going on my pressure sensor early on Sunday, have a look at the pressure drop from Sunday afternoon to Sunday evening

http://www.quinweather.com/wx6.html

Reg
    Liam

• Advertisement

kerry1960 wrote: »
    gimmie back my dish :D
    Its not a dish it's aflying saucer! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I just want to clarify I did not use the term 'Very Severe Storm' on either this thread title or the last thread. It was changed without even consulting me. I do not think this will be a 'very severe storm' so dont start moaning Wednesday morning again:rolleyes::)

Very stong winds for a few hours is the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

If anyone wishes to contribute there max gusts or low pressures for this storm, do so as i will be locking this thread sometime tomorrow ahead of tomorrow nights next system to hit the north of the country which is already being discussed [thread=2055252336]here[/thread]

Mine was 50.1mph gust
    Low pressure of 955.4mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pfkf1

Out in South Dublin, again no expert here, but I would say gusts at the moment are stronger than last night, but no rain at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pfkf1

In fact I would class the gusts at the moment in Sth Dublin as very severe.

darkman2 wrote: »
    I just want to clarify I did not use the term 'Very Severe Storm' on either this thread title or the last thread.
    It was very severe for some in the SW though and you did not even suggest a more appropriate title just before the event. The title was changed at a request from a poster who i believe cut short a holiday due to models indicating very severe potential.Also do you clarify too that the snow risk did not really materialise either in your original thread title.So would you agree that both wind and snow where both risks or not?
    It was changed without even consulting me.
    Consult you for what? We change titles at the request of some posters to deal with the event. Maybe you should suggest a more appropriate title then and not to be so reserved in your judging of what the event is likely to be, for just you.
    I do not think this will be a 'very severe storm' so dont start moaning Wednesday morning again:rolleyes::)
    Well lets just hope the moans are because of lighter winds than moans of lost property or livelhoods. After seeing what happened in the UK, i think most will prefare that this "storm" would disipate rather than be full blown.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Maybe you should suggest a more appropriate title then and not to be so reserved in your judging of what the event is likely to be, for just you.

By changing the title without so much as asking my opinion you mis-represent me as the OP. The title was adequate for what occured last night. I dont believe we should be sensationalist lest we want to look foolish.

BTW I have always paid plenty of attention in all of my posts on all parts of the country when bad weather is approaching not just the East coast. I dont think you are making a fair point.

I think the new Tuesday title is a fair compromise.

Snowbie wrote:
    Maybe you should suggest a more appropriate title then and not to be so reserved in your judging of what the event is likely to be, for just your opinion on the outcome.
    Amended quote to simplify it better.
    Not talking about tooth and dagger titles but some less reserved and more to the point titles especially when it comes to extreme events like these.Hyperbole no but title that are much easier to read and gets into the point which stops everyone guessing thereafter (like will it wont it) and stop suggestions on thread for the title to be changed etc, thats all.

In other words your new thread was created far to early before your mind was made up on how this was going to pan out and that is why suggestions on thread are asked for a more appropriate title change.
    You should not need to cover your rear from your post a few posts up, nobody is going to make a joke out of you, me or the next person for changing titles.But dont get too direct and upset about it either.:)

Speak for yourself. I had 3 odd pm's this morning asking what happened to my 'Very Severe Storm':rolleyes:

There will be 6 hours of strong gales - personally I dont catergorise it as a 'storm'. Just a deep secondary depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Max 10 min mean 37mph Gust 61mph at about 1:30am Monday morn.

Highest mean since Mar 07 and highest gust since Dec 06.

Lowest pressure 953.9mb between 9 and 10am, but it is a feeling that pressure is reading slightly high (less than a mb). I need to cross reference with neighbouring synoptic stations.

35mb drop during the 12hrs, 3pm Sunday to 3am Monday. I don't know how this compares as I don't have previous comparative stats to compare, but a 3 hr fall of 13.8mb is 2nd highest in my records, a bit behind a 15.4mb drop during 3 hrs on 24th Dec 1999.

Though neither compare to a 3 hr rise of 18.1mb recorded on 27th Oct 2002

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. I had 3 odd pm's this morning asking what happened to my 'Very Severe Storm':rolleyes:
    Well you changed the thread title back [thread=2055252336]here[/thread] from what Longfield done at Weatherchecks request, so why did you not change this title back then or did you suspect that a very severe storm was approaching.;)
    There will be 6 hours of strong gales - personally I dont catergorise it as a 'storm'. Just a deep secondary depression.
    In your opinion.
    If your refering to this storm, this was a storm depression, you yourself did not experience the full force of the winds but that means no body else did.

Right darkman, we will leave it at that.
    If anyone else wants to keep there pressure readings or gusts for future reading, please post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Max gust here of 111km/h just after 1am Monday morning.

Lowest pressure reading was 954.4mb around 8:30am and I've a feeling that will be my record low for a good while to come!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Min. air pressure 956mb at 7.15am 10.03.08 - stayed at that until 9.00am.
    Not reporting max wind/gust due to dodgy anemometer location!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

958 hpa
    50 mph gust

Advertisement