Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday evening/Monday - Very Severe Storm

Options

Comments

951.1mb rising

The wide centre must have went overhead here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

951.1mb rising

The wide centre must have went overhead here.

I suspect your Barometer is reading a little low, likewise I reckon mine a little high, its been a while since I did a calibration.

Johnstown Castle and Rosslare both 952mb at 9am and I think the centre is south of you.

I'm reading 953.9mb here, it is levelled out.

Just checked the low barometer.
    The lowest here was 950.6mb at 9am ish.

Obviously a new record for here that should stand for a good while.
    The previous low of 969.2mb lasted 3 years nearly.

Mothman wrote: »
    I suspect your Barometer is reading a little low, likewise I reckon mine a little high, its been a while since I did a calibration.

Johnstown Castle and Rosslare both 952mb at 9am and I think the centre is south of you.

I'm reading 953.9mb here, it is levelled out.
    Hmmm-I had the exact same readings as trogdor last night? at the same time

Now reading 951.4mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

The rain here in Offaly has just changed to Sleet and then Snow!

It's low ground here too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Much quieter than expected. Got a pressure low of 951mb at 5:36am but press is rising rapidly. Temp of 3.5 and low or little winds.

Regs

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hmmm-I had the exact same readings as trogdor last night? at the same time
    Why wouldn you, we were all very similar here maybe 1mb difference cause were on the same isobar as storm was still way off shore.

956.5mb atm, and rising
    Both of you are much closer to the centre than me so i expect lower readings from you two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Was quite windy here last night around 2/3am, nothing too bad, gusts to around 65mph i would say maybe less.

What were the recordings at Dublin Aiport?

Flat calm here now.

Lovely Satellite Imagery at the moment of a mature low sitting over Wicklow.

http://sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Getting fairly windy here again in Waterford now but not a drop of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very windy for a time here around 1130pm last night, turbulant winds funnelling up the Nore Valley knocked out power around 1145pm. Some intense rain/sleet with it for a time too. Nice enough morning here, cloudy though bright spells. Cool. Winds picking up from the N or NW now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the report on the radio (RTE2) at 7am this morning said that we were going to get worse in dublin this afternoon from around 3pm. they mentioned the boardwalks along the liffey being blocked off and sandbagging all over the place and that the IFSC and sandymount were going to get flooded, but everything I can find now seems to indicate it's all over and we've nothing to worry about.

on the strength of that report I got my g/f a train ticket up from cork this afternoon instead of her flying home, but it's starting to look like we've wasted our money.

were they just having a laugh or what?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

has this all been a storm in a teacup again?
    In my area anyway it was no worse than the wind which we had on Friday which never made the headline news. We had about 2 to 3 hours of windy conditions last night, nothing serious at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, it was a storm in a teacup. Probably it was overhyped. However, looking at the depression this morning, it wobbled south. It could easilly have changed trach northwards at any stage and, as we know, if it did we'd have been in trouble. I think it was right to let the public know and have them prepare. By the sounds of it, Sky did bill it as something not far off the storm of the century which was obverhyping given anyone looking with an interested eye knew on Saturday at least what was going to happen.

Based on the charts I saw last night here, Tuesday/Wednsday should be more to the taste of people like us :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

vibe666 wrote: »
    the report on the radio (RTE2) at 7am this morning said that we were going to get worse in dublin this afternoon from around 3pm. they mentioned the boardwalks along the liffey being blocked off and sandbagging all over the place and that the IFSC and sandymount were going to get flooded, but everything I can find now seems to indicate it's all over and we've nothing to worry about.

on the strength of that report I got my g/f a train ticket up from cork this afternoon instead of her flying home, but it's starting to look like we've wasted our money.

were they just having a laugh or what?

In Dublin it is all to do with high tides and low pressure - not wind and rain (although they do contribute somewhat).

Gust of almost 84mph reported at Valentia at 11am - not all over by a long shot yet!

I can see settled snow down to about 300 metres on croghan moira mt due north of Aughrim.
    I can't see lugnaquilla due to cloud cover but if croghan moira is covered,Lug must be plastered.
    Theres none at all on Croghan Mt further south which doesn't surprise me as we have an air temp of 6.6c here and a DP of 3.6c so I'd imagine what fell up there would have been wetter than over at Moira.
    Major contrast though for similar heights,though moira is beside much higher mt's and further inland which helps there.
    Note the snow cover is on croghan moira mt and not croghan mt-they are 2 different mt's,the latter is on the wexford border whereas the former is North of Aughrim in co wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Got down to 951 hpa here near Rathdowney last night. Was windy for a few hours, nothing too serious, no powercut. Lovely and calm out now pressure is 962 and rising now.

Much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

DOCARCH wrote: »
    In Dublin it is all to do with high tides and low pressure - not wind and rain (although they do contribute somewhat)
    ah, do high tide + low pressure = higher tide?

makes sense I suppose, even to an eejit like me.

anyway, so she's just at the train station now and she said she heard rumours of winds reaching up to 130mph, so she's a lot happier on the train now, but it sounds a bit far fetched to me.

so you reckon flights will be more or less unaffected anyway? not that it matters now I suppose. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Its lovely out right now , i was expecting my car to be turned over and tree's uprooted with all the hype that went on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

another bloody storm in a teacup

• Advertisement

chump wrote: »
    another bloody storm in a teacup

Wasn't me who hyped this one up:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just out walkin for the past hour and I didnt even see one twig on the ground, nothing overturned or on its side. Didnt rain much either, no puddles on the ground anywhere. Total storm in a teacup here. Having said that im glad it turned out that way as I really dont like wind, particularly if it leads to a powercut as that drives me mad. Sky News were almost as hilarious as The Sun Newspapers yearly November front page headlines glorifing winter blizzards and -18 temperatures that never happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Wind is absolutely raging out here in Shannon, getting very wild outside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Getting very stormy now again in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

starting to real blowy down here in cork, more rain too..

Yep the 2nd bash will come in and effect the southern areas now with gusts possibly up to 70mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Almost flat calm in Dublin, but the satellite shows that things are going to get bumpy in the next hour or two, confirmed by the big band of blue sky crossing at the moment. Pressure trend is beginning to reverse, with things going downhill soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

what time can we expect it to get crappy outside again in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

what time can we expect it to get crappy outside again in dublin?

2 or 3 hours, although I don't think it'll be too bad. Seems to be hitting the west worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Some bad gusts in Cork harbour again. It was pretty bad last night. At one stage the rain was torrential and I had a fallen tree to dodge on the way home this morning. Fair dues to the council they had warning signs up near the tree.

Advertisement