Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday evening/Monday - Very Severe Storm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it's gone virtually calm here now. The rain has has stopped too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Am I the only one in dublin that doesn't think its that bad? Although I'm no weather man!

Depends on how exposed you are. Im practically on the coast so its undoutedly rougher here then most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weather Warning

Issued at 10 March 2008 - 00:22

Severe Weather Alert Update.

Very windy with south to southeast winds, mean speeds of 50 to 65 Kph, gusting 120 Kph.
    Winds abating for a time later tonight and tomorrow morning as the storm center crosses Ireland. Then getting very windy again during Monday as northwesterly winds increase to mean speeds 50 to 60 Kph with gusts 100 to 140 Kph.
    Heavy rain and high seas during this period could lead to some localised flooding.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Am I the only one in dublin that doesn't think its that bad? Although I'm no weather man!

It is very bad in the past 40 mins in South Dublin ... I am from the West of Ireland so I am used of bad storms but tonight its the worst I have ever heard...

Since the wind is gusting over 40mph I guess there are no flights in or out of Dublin airport???

Jayus if there are.. and I wouldn't wanna be on one :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

965.1mb lowest since station record of 963.3mb in Dec 1999
    4mb fall past hour, expect to see new station low within the hour.

Max mean 33mph with regular 50+ gusts

7mm since midnight, 11mm in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Getting a hammering in Dundalk, lot of rain the past hour, I've no anemometer but I'd say we're having regular 40+ mph gales and gusts to at least 65. I'm a mile from the coast and it's coming straight in off the sea, rain egtting heavier as I type, squall maybe.
    Also got that light headed achy thing people are talking about with the pressure drop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very windy here but still nothing nearly as bad as I thought it might be. Still I wouldnt like to be in an Airplane right now trying to land or take-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

But I mean I am in Dublin 15 and is not raining nor have I noticed it rain also the wind isn't anything chaotic. Infact its hardly blowing! Now granted maybe I am on a sheltered side of the house and I am just not hearing it, again. I'm no weather man :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    :D

I think I'll throw in another moral here. This winter has been astoundingly crap, not only for snow, but for anything interesting. Well all eyes blindly on wednseday's event; surely we can scrape something out of that? Or will it be yet another load of potentialless potential ?

What is a man if he does not have hope;) all our heartache and despair over this winter's non-events will quickly dissipate as we experience the perfect storm on Wednesday:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pfkf1

I'm about a mile from the coast in Dublin and it is extremely gusty and quite a bit of rain, Don't know whether the walls along the strands have been breached though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Wow, some strong gust just now. Attic door keeps trying to open.:D Maybe us in South Dublin near the mountains are getting disturbed air coming off the mountains hence the few reports of strong gusts from others in the location. I'd consider myself on the lower foothills. Also now feeling the pressure in the head.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Quite squally in SW Dublin over the last hour, yet its no worse that a few nights ago, tbh.

0100 reports from met.ie.

Loads of places now below 960 hPa. Birr, Claremorris, Finner Camp, Knock Airport

Belmullet 955

Casement Aerodrome has had the highest gust this hour, right beside me, 37 knots, Gust 54. So that shows that Dublin is having its bizzy spell right now.

But I mean I am in Dublin 15 and is not raining nor have I noticed it rain also the wind isn't anything chaotic. Infact its hardly blowing! Now granted maybe I am on a sheltered side of the house and I am just not hearing it, again. I'm no weather man :o

It is very bad here in D14... although in the past 10 mins the winds have decreased... no I take that back as my bedroom window gets a battering...

no I take that back as my bedroom window gets a battering...

Probably the one that tried to open my attic door.:D:D Also in D.14

Boom Boom.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

limerick quite enough now, light rain, was dead there 30 min ago but picking up slightly now

Looks like planes are landing in Dublin Airport according to the DAA ... just checked their website.. I don't understand though....:confused: its shocking out ... winds are gone really really stong now again plus lots of rain ... Its been raining in D14 for the past 2 hours maybe longer... its really bad now... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

briman1983 wrote: »
    limerick quite enough now, light rain, was dead there 30 min ago but picking up slightly now

Lull time for you, I think... The eye of this lad looks like its gonna give Kilkee a big hello!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Yeah confirm that,it's chucking it down in D.14. VERY VERY heavy rain now still with strong gusts. Time to turn on the scanner to see what's happening around the city.;)

G'night all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just got a glimpse outside - cars rocking even in sheltered spots, horizontal rain and lamposts waving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Confab wrote: »
    Just got a glimpse outside - cars rocking even in sheltered spots, horizontal rain and lamposts waving.

Where's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Its nice and quiet. has calmed down in waterford the last 30 mins or so. the place took a hammering over the last three hours, think I lost a roof tile or two.

fuppin hell - some very intense gusts right now......my bedroom window (which has a dodgy lock) blew open and then slammed..........shook me up a bit but pretty awful conditions near the coast atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Where's that?

Dublin 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

That's a brilliant piece of kit. Especially if you press play. Great insight.

FYi, in Prestwick, Scotland and it started getting windy here about 12 tonight.

Nothing major but it's getting more interesting.

Actually wish I was at home as ye are forcast to get the brunt of it while we're only gonna get the outside bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

10 min mean 37mph Gust 61mph.
    Mean for past 2 hours, 31mph

Highest mean since Mar 07 and highest gust since Dec 06.

962.7mb, new station low, still falling at 4mb/hr

11mm since midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

North Co. Dublin here (Donabate) and seriously high winds. Keep hearing things falling over and breaking outside. Heavy rain also. The whole bloody thing is keeping me awake. Ah well!

lol... you should get a new lock ;)

• Advertisement

Bard wrote: »
    and seriously high winds.

Concur with that. Should be just on the cusp of dieing down though.

Advertisement