Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday evening/Monday - Very Severe Storm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking really rough at the moment over Cork and Kerry!

Went down to Sandymount here in Dublin to see the widespread coastal flooding!!! :eek: What I saw was more of a bit of coastal wetness more than anything else! :D Have to download photos and see if anything is worth posting.

Lots of snow visible on the Wicklow Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭kindredspirit

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking really rough at the moment over Cork and Kerry!

Wave height on SW coast now 43 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

Lahinch looks rough! http://sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb
    Love those webcams. That's my part of the world originally so I know it very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It was a lovely summers hour for lunch in Dubland just there, getting cloudy now though but calm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone might give me some information on what you think the situation might be in Waterford for Tuesday morning?

We had the case today where a very high tide mixed with the weather caused havoc with access roads to a 4 schools that are very near to the river.

There is a high tide forecast again for 8:30am ish tomorrow and Im just wondering if there'll be a repeat of the trouble so I can get in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Quick update from Connemara

Home at lunchtime, very high winds & sporadic but very heavy showers, none sleety. Sea is a 100yards from my house, didn't look as rough as I expected.

Skies darkening fairly rapidly, haven't seen a break for a while now.

Suppose since Michael Fish(?) told the UK that the last hurricane was going to miss them, weather people & the media in general tend to over-dramatise these things. I've seen worse nights in the last few months, without any media frenzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

So the back-end of the depression is beginning to wind around over Ireland now? With the north-westerly winds?

The UK media seems to be saying that this second hit will be worse than the first - will this be the case for us, or just for the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

74mph wind gusts recorded off Valentia - getting stormy again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

How can this storm last into Wednesday? Looks like it'll run out of puff in less than 6 hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Confab wrote: »
    How can this storm last into Wednesday? Looks like it'll run out of puff in less than 6 hours!

It wont there is a fresh one on its way ;)

Still dead calm here, becoming overcast and beginning to rain.

Another storm? Woohoo!

I just hope my half built garage roof doesn't try to "glide" away :(
    It's still there :)
    but the lowest low registered here since records began (in2006 :D)

Still calm here in Clondalkin but getting overcase. I'm guessing this part of the show will have winds rising quite quickly? The seemed to die away quickly enough last night I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Was up around kippure area and sallys gap . About 10 inchs of snow in places. A lovely white winter wonder land. Sallys gap is now passable with care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Anybody know what speed the wind is at in Clare at the moment???? Windows and roof tiles in the office are rattling...

http://www.quinweather.com/

This is a good site. It's in Quin though. If you're on the coast, you could be seeing higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

DarkJager wrote: »
    Anybody know what speed the wind is at in Clare at the moment???? Windows and roof tiles in the office are rattling...

On the coast = sustained 56.4mph and maximum gusts over 70mph with torrential rain. Hope this helps:)

Just started pelting rain here in Clondalkin now. Light breeze but nothing dramatic so far.

Still dead calm in Dublin city, pressure rising 1.6hPa/hr. What's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Confab wrote: »
    Still dead calm in Dublin city, pressure rising 1.6hPa/hr. What's going on?

Nothing much is going to happen in Dublin tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Gusts on the increase here in the last 20mins. Not terribly strong but gusts up to 23mph so far.

Curses! Oh well, tomorrow should be interesting. Thanks Weathercheck, great info!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

On e 15min vicious spell round 3pm , and all hell broke loose , a 3rd tree down on other side , and 5 more leaning 45dg , the eaves are actually missing from back of my house , can't find em , phew , i think i escaped lightly this time , a close one , hope the rest of ye ok , right , time to go and locate a chainsaw .

edit : just heard other homes/property damaged locally , no one hurt .
    pict0025fx7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭kindredspirit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Hmmm-I had the exact same readings as trogdor last night? at the same time

Maybe we shouldn't have had the same readings though given the tight gradient. My lowest pressure here was 954.5mb at 8:29, although you being further South would have been closer to the core I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Getting gusty here again and probably windier now than at any point in the last 24hours (not anything noteworthy)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just looking at http://xcweather.co.uk/ . Some interesting readings,seven stones light vessel reporting waves of 34ft! real savage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

rc28 wrote: »
    Getting gusty here again and probably windier now than at any point in the last 24hours (not anything noteworthy)

Have a look at the pressure chart on http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ , looks like there may be a band of strong winds down the middle of the country if the isobar density is anything to go by, certainly looks pretty blowy, nothing here thankfully compared to last night.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Very blustery where I am at the moment, and a downpour of rain seems to be passing now.

Advertisement