Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday evening/Monday - Very Severe Storm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Looks like the baro might be starting to level off as the centre approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Bard wrote: »
    North Co. Dublin here (Donabate) and seriously high winds. Keep hearing things falling over and breaking outside. Heavy rain also. The whole bloody thing is keeping me awake. Ah well!

Just came in from trying to make a living, yes mad taxi drivers out in all weathers. Turvey Avenue blocked with fallen trees. Lots of debris on Hearse Road and Dublin Road in Malahide about 5 trees down along the Castle grounds. Myself--- feck it I'm stopping work for the night ...just too wild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

God man you are right... not safe not there! There still isn't any let up here! really bad gusts ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Still going strong here but will ease within the next half hour, 45mins id say.

Almost calm now in Athlone, was peaking @60kmh at 10pm down to 955mb and still dropping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Seems to be easing here now a little.... still gusts though .. time to bed me thinks... Sleep well folks.. :) Slan..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wow, dedicated weather-watching going on here :) Gusty in Dublin as said before, no tech stuff though unfortunately. Are we looking at the same again for te second stage of the storm tomorrow, or better/worse (depending on whether you like the storminess or not :p)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Calmed down noticeably here on the Naas Road. Still raining.

0200 hrs Met.ie weather reports...

Casement again strongest, 33 knots, Gust 54.

Belmullet still the lowest with 954, but all weather stations of Met Éireann are 960 and below this hour, bar Cork Airport and Roches Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wind really picking up here in Dundalk, bins all over the place.

• Advertisement

0300 hrs Met.ie weather reports...

The thing has completely petered out, means speeds across the country are less than 30 knots, just a good blow. Malin Head did have a 54 knot gust in the last hour, yet hardly anything else worth typing here.

Pressure is steady, 953-960.

The Radar shows that Dublin is now clear of rain, another smaller band in the SW. The eye is homing in on Clare.

Here, its slightly breezy. No rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed.

Going to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

utter silence out side now. when is round 2 supposed to kick in

briman1983 wrote: »
    When is round 2 supposed to kick in

Winds are supposed to pick up around midday.

0400 hrs Met.ie weather reports..

No gusts over 50 knots, but Belmullet and Valentia have dropped to 952 hPa. Seeing as the centre of this is making a beeline for Shannon Airport, its at 955.

Next UK shipping forecast in an hour.

UK Shipping Forecast for 0505... still hurricane force and phenomenal for Shannon

Lundy, Fastnet
    Westerly gale 8 to storm 10, occasionally violent storm 11 in Fastnet, decreasing 6 to gale 8. High or very high, occasionally phenomenal in Fastnet. Rain then squally showers. Moderate or poor

Irish Sea
    Cyclonic becoming westerly 7 to severe gale 9, decreasing 4 for a time. Rough or very rough. Rain or squally showers. Moderate or poor

Shannon, Rockall
    Cyclonic becoming northwesterly backing southwesterly severe gale 9 to violent storm 11, occasionally hurricane force 12 in Shannon, decreasing 6 to gale 8. High or very high, occasionally phenomenal in Shannon. Showers then rain. Poor or very poor

Malin
    Cyclonic 7 to severe gale 9 becoming westerly 5 to 7. Very rough or high. Rain or squally showers. Moderate or poor

0500 hrs Met.ie weather reports..

No real change in wind since last report, Valentia now reading 951.

And nothing out of the ordinary over the next few hours in the 0600 sea area forecast, the northerly gales to return as the low pressure area crosses the country.

Time to get some zzzzzzzzzzzzz........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

DMC wrote: »
    And nothing out of the ordinary over the next few hours in the 0600 sea area forecast, the northerly gales to return as the low pressure area crosses the country.

Time to get some zzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Valentia now reporting a gust of 59kts in the last hour. Here, all is calm, hardly heard anything apart from the rain lashing against the window. I don't expect too much from 'round 2' here, might get blowy, but nothing out of the ordinary. The coasts are where you need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rain is torrential in Waterford now but the wind died down. Any reports of flooding anywhere?

91mph gust at Marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Wow, the country is really surrounded by high winds bar Valentia.

Flat calm with me. 955.7mb
    21mm overnight.

Shannon 950mb
    Cork AP 951mb

7am news.... no reports of flooding or storm damage.

John Eagleton : Will be blustery later today but not stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Clouding in from the South here and just starting to rain after a lovely start. 955.3mb. Is the centre of the low over Cork? That seems a lot different than what was forecast.

trogdor wrote: »
    Clouding in from the South here and just starting to rain after a lovely start. 955.3mb. Is the centre of the low over Cork? That seems a lot different than what was forecast.

Yeah, it tracked a good bit further south than first thought so we dodged the bullet pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

953 mb here near Roscrea,I actually took a photo of my barometer.I don't ever recall it being that low before !

Was out earlier doesn't appear to have been much damage.There were power outages for several hours in Durrow Cullahill areas and over Portumna way.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

I think the above link shows the variability of wind direction across the country. Southwest corner getting the gales only so far from round two....

Actually, Wednesdays gales will be probably stronger for all of us, but you'll hear nothing about them on the media....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Nothing much to report here

Huh, just looked at the sat image, centre seems to be right overhead.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Flat calm here now at the moment and 'tipping' it down with rain. Seems to be steady now at 956mb.

Full violent storm 11 at Marathon at the moment, gusting 79mph, and north west winds gusting almost 70mph at Bouy M6 out to the west at the moment - assuming that these wind out to the west will move onto the coast in the coming hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Looks like Northern France and Spain are getting a beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Tis the closet we'll get to the eye of a hurricane i suppose.
    So it wobbled south sparing the majority of the country.

Advertisement