Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone launch 14th March on O2 Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 philip_tyrrell@

sham69 wrote: »
    Just checked my O2 account and I don't believe it.
    On Sunday when I got my Iphone I was messing around showing it off to friends in the pub etc and I have clocked up 80 euro worth of data.
    I am sick.....
    1cent per kb is a disgrace.

Ring them now and get the data add on. €7.50 for 250mb. They don't care if you have an iPhone or not. Actually none of their business. They will however not let you sign up to an iPhone package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Just got a data add on now.
    Just one fo those stupid things, I got carried away showing it off and wasn't thinking. I honestly didnt think it was that pricey for data and to be fair I wasn't on it for that long. A lesson learned.
    I sent O2 an email explaining what happened but don't expect any let off as it was my stupidity.
    Cheers for the help all.
    Sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

oh and it is a jailbroken one sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why didn't you geta data add-on? Is it a Jail broken one?

I knows hes confirmed it. But it had to be, as you can't get the O2 one without the data addon. AFAIK.

I'll state the obvious here. Remember when you are just browsing, you're still downloading.

Is there a download calculator on the iPhone like some mobiles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

BostonB wrote: »
    Is there a download calculator on the iPhone like some mobiles?

Yes. In Settings there's a usage section which gives details about how much battery life you're getting, how many minutes you've used and how much EDGE data you've downloaded and uploaded.

Can you give it the cost so it tots as you go? I guess this is less an issue if you've a data bundle, but it used to be the way I do it on a mobile.

Can you give it the cost so it tots as you go? I guess this is less an issue if you've a data bundle, but it used to be the way I do it on a mobile.

No, you can't. But if you log on to My O2 it will give an itemised list of all the calls, texts and data you've used and tell you how many inclusive units you have left.
    I'll state the obvious here. Remember when you are just browsing, you're still downloading.

That's not necessarily true. It's only downloading while the icon is spinning in the bar at the top. Once it's downloaded the page, it stops, so you're not downloading just by reading a webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone know if it would be worthwhile trying to get an IPhone in Singapore? Any idea of cost?

mobius42 wrote: »
    ...That's not necessarily true. It's only downloading while the icon is spinning in the bar at the top. Once it's downloaded the page, it stops, so you're not downloading just by reading a webpage.

Thats only useful if you spend a lot of time reading the one web page. I can't imagine many do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Hi,

I'm trying (without much luck) to see if anyone has managed to get the Maps application working the way that it is supposed to in Ireland.

The business finder is useless, it just shows up "no results" all the time.

This is a genuinely useful application in most other countries.

I raised this with o2 and they said its just google maps - but its not. maps.google.com works in Ireland as a business finder. The iphone does not.

Anyone else got different results?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Scottish wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm trying (without much luck) to see if anyone has managed to get the Maps application working the way that it is supposed to in Ireland.

The business finder is useless, it just shows up "no results" all the time.

This is a genuinely useful application in most other countries.

I raised this with o2 and they said its just google maps - but its not. maps.google.com works in Ireland as a business finder. The iphone does not.

Anyone else got different results?

it doesn't work properly for me either. i do think it could be a google issue though. does any other mobile device have google maps that it could be compared with?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

This is BS - they are advertising it as a feature, but the feature is broken only in IRELAND.

If you like, your Irish iPhone will tell you all about businesses in other countries, just not the one that you live in.

This feature would be really useful - and as I said it works on maps.google.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I've noticed the Edge access on my (official) iPhone has slowed right down recently. It was very snappy when I got the phone. If I was cynical I'd say O2 gave extra bandwidth in the first few weeks but have throttled it back now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

EDGE speed is susceptible to contention.

The lack of business info on the Irish iphone is because the iphone uses different google maps servers than your browser. That's why it works on your pc but not on the phone. It is a google issue though; they probably haven't updated the servers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

So does anyone know if there has been much of a take up on O2 IRL for the iphone or are people just sourcing unlocked ones? and anyone here regretting signing up to the O2 contract here???

I haven't but, I don't think the call/data deal is a bad package compared to standard packages. The phone itself is expensive though, especially considering its likely to be replaced sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I knows hes confirmed it. But it had to be, as you can't get the O2 one without the data addon. AFAIK.

Thought it might have been a tarriff issue, that the new tarriff had not kicked in if it was a O2 IRL supplied iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I haven't but, I don't think the call/data deal is a bad package compared to standard packages. The phone itself is expensive though, especially considering its likely to be replaced sooner rather than later.
    I don't think it'll be replaced all that soon IMO. Its taken o2 almost a year to bring the iPhone to the Irish market since its initial release in the us. Even if apple announce a 3g version a wwdc in june, it would be september before release in America, as they have to get it approved. I wouldn't expect to see a 3g iPhone sold by o2 in Ireland for at least another twelve months.

At least that's what i'm telling myself anyway, I got one only last Friday. Beautiful kit by the way, but that goes without saying.

• Advertisement

If your talking the official phone, then your on a 18 month contract.

People had iPhones here before O2 released it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Biscuit Baron

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an iphone in the UK without having to sign up to an O2 contract in the shop? A friend of mine told me that his mate bought his in the North, brought it down here, and unlocked it. I'll be in Belfast later this month, and it'd be awfully handy if I could pick one up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an iphone in the UK without having to sign up to an O2 contract in the shop? A friend of mine told me that his mate bought his in the North, brought it down here, and unlocked it. I'll be in Belfast later this month, and it'd be awfully handy if I could pick one up there.

Read back a few pages or check the last few pages on the iphone sourcing thread. Details on it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Descartes

You're probably right on the iphone not getting to Ireland soon, jcrowbar, but just for the record it looks like the 3G iphone will be out in about 60 days; somewhere.

Regardless, the N95 appears to me to be the best phone out there at the moment from a functionality point of view; don't think that the fancy UI on iphone adiquately compensates for the poor hardware (including poor receiver sensitivity).

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/05/walt-mossberg-promises-3g-iphone-in-60-days/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Descartes wrote: »
    including poor receiver sensitivity

Yes! Definietly a noticeable difference to other handsets. The antenna is in the base of the device, a retarded place if you ask me. The sensitivity of the receiver used was probably poor to begin with never mind the signal having to fight it's way through your hand!
    Handsets have been getting progressively worse in this regard IMO.

Having said that I really do like the Apple UI. Though I have switched back to N95 for a few days again, getting too distracted by iPhone. I haven't got the N95 filled with music & the internet browser is pathetic compared to the iPhone. Should keep me more focussed not having it with me forthe next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jcrowbar wrote: »
    I don't think it'll be replaced all that soon IMO. Its taken o2 almost a year to bring the iPhone to the Irish market since its initial release in the us. Even if apple announce a 3g version a wwdc in june, it would be september before release in America, as they have to get it approved. I wouldn't expect to see a 3g iPhone sold by o2 in Ireland for at least another twelve months.

At least that's what i'm telling myself anyway, I got one only last Friday. Beautiful kit by the way, but that goes without saying.

With regard to FCC approval you are incorrect. For all we know the FCC have the device this very moment, a privacy option means we won't get to know about its existance until it is passed. The process for the original iPhone took 6 weeks in total.

When the phone is released it will hit all available markets around the same time. Apple are ruthless when it comes to cutting out of date products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nakedlykeenthen

This may sound completely stupid but im a techno phobe! I have an unlocked iPhone purchased from US, how is Edge activated... Yes i may sound like a dumb ass but im just finding my way around the phone at the mo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

When the phone is released it will hit all available markets around the same time. Apple are ruthless when it comes to cutting out of date products.

You cannot know that unless you are steve jobs or you have seen the Apple O2 contract and it clearly states it.

for all we know Apple may go through the whole process of looking for partners all over again.

The current iphone is not even rolled out in most countries yet nearly a year after the release in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

cdebru wrote: »
    You cannot know that unless you are steve jobs or you have seen the Apple O2 contract and it clearly states it.

I've yet to see anybody put forward a good arguement as to why the release of the new model would be held back in certain markets. The only people who seem to think it won't come out are those who've just bought the current model.
    for all we know Apple may go through the whole process of looking for partners all over again.
    Where, in Ireland? Honestly, how likely do you think that is in the next year or so?
    The current iphone is not even rolled out in most countries yet nearly a year after the release in the US.

So?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Aren't there other forums dedicated to mindless, mindless, speculation of Apple stuff?

Advertisement