Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone launch 14th March on O2 Ireland...

Options
  • 14-02-2008 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

any truth in this?

on the Last Word with Matt Cooper last night, he mentioned that the iPhone was going to be launched in Ireland in the next few weeks. He said he'd discuss it on tonight's show during the tech slot at about 6:30.

Who know what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

What radio station is Matt Cooper from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

TodayFM 4:30 to 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Matt Cooper is great. Except when he's talking about technology, as it's clear he's reading from a card. It was funny when he was talking about the 360 Video Marketplace. Great presenter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

http://www.todayfm.com/sectional.asp?id=881

Have a look at who is sponsering the show!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

it's possible. it was just announced for austria:
    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/02/t-mobile-will-s.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

cheerspal wrote: »
    http://www.todayfm.com/sectional.asp?id=881

Have a look at who is sponsering the show!

And your point is what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

useless....they barely mentioned it and hadn't a clue on the show. That pair who do the tech slot aint so tech savvy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

dobsdave wrote: »
    And your point is what exactly?

We might see it on O2 soon ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

AlanD wrote: »
    useless....they barely mentioned it and hadn't a clue on the show. That pair who do the tech slot aint so tech savvy.

so there was no mention of a potential release date?

guess i might buy that nokia e65 after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

AlanD wrote: »

I wouldn't agree - I thought that for once there were two people who actually had a clue about what they were talking about.

I was listening to it and there was no mention of a release date. Don't suppose any of our regulars who work for O2 would care to comment? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

I know "someone" who works in o2 and trying to get any info about the Iphone is like tryin to get blood out of the stone!

"someone" there has asked peeps in sales, marketing and r+d and no one knows anything, or just not saying anything. To be honest I dont think o2 have the contract yet in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

cheerspal wrote: »
    I know "someone" who works in o2 and trying to get any info about the Iphone is like tryin to get blood out of the stone!

"someone" there has asked peeps in sales, marketing and r+d and no one knows anything, or just not saying anything. To be honest I dont think o2 have the contract yet in Ireland.

The guy who negotiated the iphone deal for o2 in the uk is now the ceo of o2 europe so that would suggest that o2/telefonica will have the iphone accross europe..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There available on ebay & you can pick one up if your away..
    Whats the big deal if they are ever released here or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

johnson1 wrote: »
    The guy who negotiated the iphone deal for o2 in the uk is now the ceo of o2 europe so that would suggest that o2/telefonica will have the iphone accross europe..

Don't count on that, it's already on Orange in France and T-Mobile in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

koolkid wrote: »

If an operator here provided it, you wouldn't have to go through the laborious process of unlocking it. And if something went wrong, you would have support. Plus you wouldn't have to ask support for the connection settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

koolkid wrote: »

As a iPhone owning, O2 uk bill paying eejit, I should have probably got myself one from ebay (or O2 here) and jailbroken it. Visual voicemail isn't all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Don't suppose any of our regulars who work for O2 would care to comment? :)

I'd say very few people in O2 know, and I'd say those that do have very tight lips. Look at the new speak easy price plans there was no mention here of them until they were released.

I have done prelaunch training with Apple in the past and the first thing you do before you even get a coffee yet alone start training is to sign a "Non-disclosure agreement".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its very much a case of "when we know you'll know" from management in o2, they didnt tell us about the o2 experience price plan until the day before the launch even though it had been planned for months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

krudler wrote: »
    its very much a case of "when we know you'll know" from management in o2, they didnt tell us about the o2 experience price plan until the day before the launch even though it had been planned for months

It had been planned for months? Then why did they launch o2 freedom to huge fanfare and advertising then scrap it almost immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

aphex™ wrote: »
    It had been planned for months? Then why did they launch o2 freedom to huge fanfare and advertising then scrap it almost immediately?

Because somtimes a campaign get 'no traction' - i.e. it turs out to be crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

One would suspect that the new data addon prices that have appeared on the O2 site mentioned elsewhere in this forum are in preperation for the introcution of the iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's likely that O2 Ireland will launch it here, given their existing relationship with Apple i.e. they had the Motorola ROKR (the only iTunes compatable 3rd party phone) and also they've a tight relationship with Apple at a retail level i.e. the mini Apple stores in the O2 experience stores...

Also, there's a synergy between the UK advertising campaigns and the Irish ones so it makes absolute sense for them to go with it.

i.e. people here see UK ads and they help any Irish campaign.

It could be a case that O2 Ireland will launch it when the next version comes out and use it to spur on a 3G drive. I can't see apple not launching a 3G version..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Because somtimes a campaign get 'no traction' - i.e. it turs out to be crap

Heres hoping that there is no traction to their new promo as well. I hope people will see through the headline free texts and look at the entire package.
    It's likely that O2 Ireland will launch it here, given their existing relationship with Apple i.e. they had the Motorola ROKR (the only iTunes compatable 3rd party phone) and also they've a tight relationship with Apple at a retail level i.e. the mini Apple stores in the O2 experience stores...

Exactly there is too much in favour of O2/Apple hooking up together again. No doubth the price tag will be high and there will be an 18 month expensive contract attached. Almost certainly better unlocking not waiting for the 'July release of the 400 EUR phone & 600 EUR minimum spend contract' (guess-estimate)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

Given the grief already experienced by some of you about buying the phone, on a UK operator , paying bils, cracking, lock down, cracking again etc. etc. Is it worth it. One way or the other an Irish operator will have it here soon(?). Suggest you all sit tight and watch the horizon.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

has anyone had any luck in getting one from the north?? I was hoping to ring the apple store in newry tomorrow and ask if they'd post one out to me in the south

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sellphone wrote: »
    Given the grief already experienced by some of you about buying the phone, on a UK operator , paying bils, cracking, lock down, cracking again etc. etc. Is it worth it. One way or the other an Irish operator will have it here soon(?). Suggest you all sit tight and watch the horizon.......;)

At last someone else, posting a bit of common sense. Here have a hug!!

Doesn't do anything that other phones already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

has anyone had any luck in getting one from the north?? I was hoping to ring the apple store in newry tomorrow and ask if they'd post one out to me in the south
    I got mine from the North the day after the were launched back in November.
    I originally used a TurboSim to use it but now with the latest Unlock GUI i can use it as a regular phone now without any sim addons.
    There are no Apple stores in Northern Ireland. In Newry you have 2 choices, Carphone Warehouse and the O2 store. I visited the Carphone Warehouse 1st, they ask a lot of questions and you need a UK address.
    I then tried the O2 store, no problem at all. I even paid with my Southern Credit Card. You can't buy an iPhone with cash. I just told the guy i recently moved up North and didn't have a UK bank account yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Mr.S wrote: »
    by that logic, you should only release a product in one country, and excect everyone else outside said country to just import it..which would be stupid.

Its hassle buying them off ebay, unlocking them etc.

What I meant was even if they were available on contract here we will probobly be ripped off on the price..
    I never had any hassle buying anything off ebay. They come unlocked for you as well.. Hassle?? What hassle??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rayman87

March 14 is the release date for the iphone in ireland o2 will announce it very soon maybe tommorrow :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

shh it's supposed to be a secret ;)

hopefully those holding their breath can exhale later :)

Advertisement