Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone launch 14th March on O2 Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Has anyone with an official 02 iphone try their SIM in another phone. Just curious to know if it works. The O2 store said the SIM is tied to the iPhone but I'm think it's the other way around i.e. the iPhone will only work with an official 02 sim but the 02 sim should work on other phones. If anyone has tried this, let me know.

Cheers.
    I bought an iPhone but since I was in work couldnt activate it until that night. My old sim was deactivated straight away so I put the iphone one in my old phone for a few hours and it worked fine. I dont believe the sim it tied to the phone, just the phone to the network. The sim came from a seperate pile to the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

If O2 have the option available to gift wrap they can hardly charge anymore than the phone price of 399 or 499 given that its a present for somebody, can they?

You'll have to pay the fiver for the gift wrap, if your giving it as a gift you can wrap it yourself anyway? The wrapping is'nt the best anyway it can be tatty enough. Id do it myself instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

faceman wrote: »
    Well the blackberry model for business users was announced a short time ago so dont rule it out.

What? There is no business model. The next big firmware update will include alot of Enterprise stuff and will work on every current iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Anyone have any idea when the 3G model might be released here?

Have a Nokia E61 - would like an iphone but think i'll wait till the 3g version comes out. . .othwerise the intrenet will be slower than I have now :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Anyone have any idea when the 3G model might be released here?

Have a Nokia E61 - would like an iphone but think i'll wait till the 3g version comes out. . .othwerise the intrenet will be slower than I have now :confused:

june would be my guess, i would expect to have it by the end of the 3rd quarter 2008 at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Call_me_al wrote: »
    june would be my guess, i would expect to have it by the end of the 3rd quarter 2008 at the latest.

A June release date for Ireland? Even if it's released in the US in June surely they'll be following the same pattern as the release of the first gen iPhone and Ireland won't see an official release until 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Branoic wrote: »
    A June release date for Ireland? Even if it's released in the US in June surely they'll be following the same pattern as the release of the first gen iPhone and Ireland won't see an official release until 2009?

Zero chance of that happening. What your suggesting would totally kill off any sales in countries that had the older model. The initial releases were dependent on securing various agreements with the different operators in each country, this is what caused the truncated launch of the first phone.

June sounds about right, could easily be announced at WWDC. Phone would be a year old at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

ok. i've done it.

i went to CPW. they had two try-out models on display and nobody was interested. played with one of them for a minute.

now tell me - whats so special about this phone??? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The user interface.

As somebody who has tried all manner of gadget phones, this has to be the most intuitive to use. But it all depends on what you want out of a phone.

I want a phone that will play videos/music and allow me to browse the internet. I don't take photos, so a 2mp camera will do. I don't drive much, so gps is not important. The only thing missing is the FM radio, but I'll live without that.

It's all relative, really.

• Advertisement

Zero chance of that happening. What your suggesting would totally kill off any sales in countries that had the older model. The initial releases were dependent on securing various agreements with the different operators in each country, this is what caused the truncated launch of the first phone.

June sounds about right, could easily be announced at WWDC. Phone would be a year old at that stage.
    I wouldnt expect to see a 3G iPhone on sale in Ireland in June. The phone will be announced in June by Apple but may not even be available in the US straight away. Personally I would expect it to be several months after that before it comes to Ireland. I could be wrong but do you think O2 would have signed a revenue agreement with Apple in March to see the iPhone coming to Vodafone in June? If they have a exclusive deal then they will want to hold off on a 3G phone until they exhaust the current iPhone market. I'd expect November/December would be the time to release it for the christmas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

ok. i've done it.

i went to CPW. they had two try-out models on display and nobody was interested. played with one of them for a minute.

Whats special is not what the phone does, but how it does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thinking of getting this phone

does it matter if you dont buy it off o2, 45 euro a month contract is a bit much
    ill be buying it on ebay, anything to look out for when buying one online

to be honest and im not sure can i even get edge in my area

what the battery life like and the txting ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

Only thing about ebay is most sellers are ripping people off, charging in excess of €500 just because they spent 10 minutes unlocking it. I'd suggest you try to bid on a new locked one and unlock it yourself. Cheapest way is to buy one in the states though....

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

maclad wrote: »
    Only thing about ebay is most sellers are ripping people off, charging in excess of €500 just because they spent 10 minutes unlocking it. I'd suggest you try to bid on a new locked one and unlock it yourself. Cheapest way is to buy one in the states though....

ya buying in states would be a great idea since the euro is strong against the dollar but how would the charging work and will the phone work here

also if i unlock it

will i beable to update it??

decsramble wrote: »
    I wouldnt expect to see a 3G iPhone on sale in Ireland in June. The phone will be announced in June by Apple but may not even be available in the US straight away. Personally I would expect it to be several months after that before it comes to Ireland. I could be wrong but do you think O2 would have signed a revenue agreement with Apple in March to see the iPhone coming to Vodafone in June? If they have a exclusive deal then they will want to hold off on a 3G phone until they exhaust the current iPhone market. I'd expect November/December would be the time to release it for the christmas market.

What benefit is there to Apple to with-hold a device in a specific market? How many people would buy the current iPhone if there was a newer model on sale in the US? O2 etc. are not going to be in a position to delay a new product from Apple just to clear inventories. Take a look at the iPod - new product every 12 months, that's the plan for the iPhone. To reach the goal of 10 million phones they are going to have to start selling in a lot more markets and that means Asia where a non 3G device is dead in the water.

I could see November as an outside chance, but when it emerges it will go on sale everywhere.

edit. I can't remember Apple releasing a single product/refresh for the Christmas market.

I slept it out for work today. I set my alarm on my iPhone last night and then turned off the phone overnight - but discovered about 20 minutes too late this morning that the alarm doesn't operate if the phone is turned off. It doesn't activate the phone.

*sigh*

Ah well, live and learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Branoic wrote: »
    I slept it out for work today. I set my alarm on my iPhone last night and then turned off the phone overnight - but discovered about 20 minutes too late this morning that the alarm doesn't operate if the phone is turned off. It doesn't activate the phone.

*sigh*

Ah well, live and learn!
    Know what you mean!

;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

edit. I can't remember Apple releasing a single product/refresh for the Christmas market.

They're really big launch target was traditionally July/August to have products in the shop window for the Educational sales which was/is their biggest sales time. Of course Christmas is now dominated by their iPod Sales.

What benefit is there to Apple to with-hold a device in a specific market? How many people would buy the current iPhone if there was a newer model on sale in the US? O2 etc. are not going to be in a position to delay a new product from Apple just to clear inventories. Take a look at the iPod - new product every 12 months, that's the plan for the iPhone. To reach the goal of 10 million phones they are going to have to start selling in a lot more markets and that means Asia where a non 3G device is dead in the water.

I could see November as an outside chance, but when it emerges it will go on sale everywhere.

Apple have a revenue sharing deal with the networks so they make money when people use their iPhones so there is less incentive for them to upgrade in every country than there is with the iPod. They are probably due a release in the States to keep the iPhone top of the pile but in Europe it's still new so they can hold off for months more. Gadget fans will import unlocked phones from the US but most people who want one will just buy from a local store even if a new 3G one is available in the States.

But really, who knows what Apple and O2 will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

i'm not wholly convinced there is a 3g version "coming soon" - especially as early as june.
    i know there are some internet 'mac' sites hyping it up but dont believe everything you read on the web !

afaik...
    1. the US doesnt really have a 3g network so there is no point - (i think at&t are the only telco upgrading at the mo)
    2. iphone 2.0 is being released in june (thats a firmware update not a hardware)
    3. 3g chips suck battery power (alledgedly apple teamed up with some chip manufacturer from 'asia' and they have developed a chip which doesnt suck as much power)
    4. apples target was 10million units before the next version (dunno where they are at the mo)
    5. china & india are moving to 4g networks (3g is already dieing)

IMO it would have to be much more than a 3g update, maybe a higher megapixel camera with flash, camera on the front for video calling, gps antennae, better speakers,

all nice to haves but not killer requirements so soon after the initial launch me thinks

decsramble wrote: »
    Apple have a revenue sharing deal with the networks so they make money when people use their iPhones so there is less incentive for them to upgrade in every country than there is with the iPod. They are probably due a release in the States to keep the iPhone top of the pile but in Europe it's still new so they can hold off for months more. Gadget fans will import unlocked phones from the US but most people who want one will just buy from a local store even if a new 3G one is available in the States.

But really, who knows what Apple and O2 will do.

There is every incentive for Apple to want people to upgrade to a newer model. They are after all an electronics company. The number for the US at&t deal suggested a figure of $400 over the 2 years in revenue for each phone. A teardown of the iPhone at the time suggested that the profit on the hardware was also the same figure - this was when the phone was retailing at 600$, the new model and reduction in component parts suggests that they are still doing very well in that regard.

The US market isn't the problem, the US market is used to phones that are at least 2 years behind here and 3-4 behind Asia. The iPhone is in no danger of slipping from the top of the pile there (Nokia may have store there now but they won't make an impact anytime soon). In Europe where the average life of a phone is 6 months things are different, Apple cannot afford to give Nokia 18 months per model.

Once again, why would Apple want to limit the sale of a new phone in certain regions? There is no benefit for Apple. Furthermore they would be needlessly be incurring the expense of having to manufacture two different products.

Apple are also ruthless for cutting old models. They don't keep selling older technology once it's replacement is out (refurb being the exception); hell Apple refuse to discount their old stock. It's part of their philosophy and image, it's as if the operate like a fashion house - 'we're done selling you the old design here's the new collection' - selling last seasons design would hurt the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OMG the prciing strutucre is a joke compared to the UK's

Monthly charge €45 €65 €100 Units
    Anytime minutes included* 175 350 700 Mins
    Texts included* 100 150 250 Texts
    Data included** 1GB 1GB 1GB GB
    Additional calls 20c 20c 20c Per min
    Additional texts 10c 10c 10c Per texts
    Voicemail*** 15c 15c 15c Per min

compared to
    Monthly Subscription £35 £45 £75
    Minutes 600 1200 3000
    Texts 500 500 500
    Unlimited* Data (Email/Web)
    & Wi-Fi (O2 Hotspots) Yes Yes Yes
    Visual Voicemail Yes Yes Yes
    Reduced Roaming Rates Yes Yes Yes
    Minimum contract length 18 months 18 months 18 months

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/o2tariffsforiphone
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone/Find+out+more

they should be boycotted.

jimmychin wrote: »
    i'm not wholly convinced there is a 3g version "coming soon" - especially as early as june.
    i know there are some internet 'mac' sites hyping it up but dont believe everything you read on the web !

afaik...
    1. the US doesnt really have a 3g network so there is no point - (i think at&t are the only telco upgrading at the mo)

Apple's deal with AT&T is exclusive for five years, they already have 3G is major areas but they are increasing their coverage.
    2. iphone 2.0 is being released in june (thats a firmware update not a hardware)

Correct, but that doesn't preclude the launch of a new model. Steve has a keynote presentation and he likes to be the one introducing Hardware not software as witnessed last month.
    3. 3g chips suck battery power (alledgedly apple teamed up with some chip manufacturer from 'asia' and they have developed a chip which doesnt suck as much power)

I hear this a lot from Americans and it doesn't stack up. Take SE W880 for example, the thing is about 70grams, 7mm wide and can last a week on 3G. It's also predates the iPhone. Power consumption isn't the issue.
    4. apples target was 10million units before the next version (dunno where they are at the mo)

No, Apple is seeking 10 million iPhone sales by the end of 2008. They will not reach this with current markets and current model. Reports are manufacturing has already been cut back at Foxconn plants.
    5. china & india are moving to 4g networks (3g is already dieing)

I'm sure the new model will be HSDPA, which will be good enough for even the most demanding markets like S. Korea. Don't know about China and India other than Apple have been in talks with the 2 large telcos in China.

IMO it would have to be much more than a 3g update, maybe a higher megapixel camera with flash, camera on the front for video calling, gps antennae, better speakers,
    all nice to haves but not killer requirements so soon after the initial launch me thinks

I agree. It will need more than memory and 3G, but that and a slight change in form factor is all i see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

ted1 wrote: »

compared to
    Minutes 600 1200 3000
    Texts 500 500 500

This is a ridiculous argument which I've seen too many times on here.
    Check out UK non-iPhone tarrifs:
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/18_months
    €45 gets you 600mins and 1000 texts plus unlimited o2 to o2 calls.

Compare that to the Irish non-iPhone tarrifs:
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Price%20plans/Pay%20monthly/Active%20life
    €35 gets you 180mins and 120 texts

So using that argument we should not just boycott the iPhone but boycott o2.

Now look at vodafone.co.uk and you'll see the same differences in price. Boycott vodafone?
    Sure why stop there, tesco are far cheaper in England than Ireland. Boycott them while we're at it.

Things are more expensive over here. That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

people need to realise, that O2 IE and O2 UK are totally different companies, yes they share the same name but are different business entities.

ted1 wrote: »

compared to
    Minutes 600 1200 3000
    Texts 500 500 500

Little late to the thread with that newsflash there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

KJF wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous argument which I've seen too many times on here.
    Check out UK non-iPhone tarrifs:
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/18_months
    €45 gets you 600mins and 1000 texts plus unlimited o2 to o2 calls.

Compare that to the Irish non-iPhone tarrifs:
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Price%20plans/Pay%20monthly/Active%20life
    €35 gets you 180mins and 120 texts

So using that argument we should not just boycott the iPhone but boycott o2.

Now look at vodafone.co.uk and you'll see the same differences in price. Boycott vodafone?
    Sure why stop there, tesco are far cheaper in England than Ireland. Boycott them while we're at it.

Things are more expensive over here. That's life.

Well said KJF I'm sick of all the bandwagon whingers on here since this thread started and made this point early on - FFS the tariffs are no more expensive than any other phone in fact in most cases they are better because you get more data. So maybe we should boycott all the networks then?

By the way folks if anyone's in the States soon, some AT&T stores are flogging iPhone refurbs for $249!!!!!!!! You might pick one up for me as thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

eamon234 wrote: »
    Well said KJF I'm sick of all the bandwagon whingers on here since this thread started and made this point early on - FFS the tariffs are no more expensive than any other phone in fact in most cases they are better because you get more data. So maybe we should boycott all the networks then?

By the way folks if anyone's in the States soon, some AT&T stores are flogging iPhone refurbs for $249!!!!!!!! You might pick one up for me as thanks:)

If anything they point out what a general rip off mobile phone bill pay options are in this country

as you say the iphone O2 Ireland is not that bad compared to other bill pay options from all the other providers in Ireland it is when it is compared to what is on offer in the UK,France,Germany and Austria on the iphone that the true paddy tax shows up.

If anything people should be boycotting all mobile companies till they bring their offerings more into line with what is on offer in the rest of europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

ya buying in states would be a great idea since the euro is strong against the dollar but how would the charging work and will the phone work here

also if i unlock it

will i beable to update it??

{(-_-)}HeadShoT**
    Charging will be ok, you can use a us to uk power adapter or buy a new power tip on ebay, the plug just pops off the charger. Would work perectly here once its unlocked, you can't update through itunes, you need to follow instructions from iphone unlocking sites but once its on the latest firmware(1.1.4 i think) there isn't really any need to keep updating.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement