Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone launch 14th March on O2 Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

From Macrumors.

3G iPhone ordered by Apple

Gartner analyst Ken Dulaney claims to have heard "from sources in Asia" that Apple has placed a 10 million unit order for 3G iPhones, according to an interview by the iPod Observer. This order for 10 million 3G iPhones would reportedly be above and beyond the original 10 million Apple had planned to sell of the initial version of the iPhone in 2008.

The analyst goes on to speculate that the 3G version could incorporate an OLED display which could improve battery life. Apple's use of OLED technology has long been rumored but has yet to come true.

This timeframe could be consistent with recent Page 2 rumors that the 3G iPhone would be coming "in a few months." Multiple reports have claimed that the 3G iPhone would be released in 2008. '3G' is the next generation mobile data technology that allows for much faster internet access on mobile phones. The iPhone currently uses EDGE (2.5G) technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Petands

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You will need to go to France or Germany for a sim free version but be prepared to pay €750 to €1000.

Bought one (unlocked 16GB) on Ebay.ie for €550. Have it a few weeks now and no problems, No regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Petands

Ya this sounds easier because Im using an old donkey of a phone and I dont think it can even be connected to a computer.

Can you point me in the right direction for doing this please..

You can "manually" enter all your contacts from your old fone into Microsoft Outlook. Once this is done and you connect your Iphone to the computer it will sync automatically. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Carphone Warehouse are selling a sim reader usb drive, it'll do it for you, and it's e13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CountBlogg

I love my iPhone! Using it now. It is everything I have ever wanted a mobile to be. Death to the naysayers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

CountBlogg wrote: »
    I love my iPhone! Using it now. It is everything I have ever wanted a mobile to be. Death to the naysayers!

Including the higher cost for calls and texts??? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

faceman wrote: »
    Including the higher cost for calls and texts??? :p

Not necessarily. I switched from 3pay and on that plan, 175 minutes, 100 texts and data would cost €86.25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CareBear2008

I've a few tedious questions, I'm planning on buying the 16GB model soon.

(1) What's the difference between 8GB and 16GB!? *I'm not the sharpest!

(2) So you pay €45 a month? Is this for pre-pay or bill pay? What do you get for €45 a month? 24/7 access to the internet?

(3) I hear you need a credit card card, will a LASER card do?

I've a few tedious questions, I'm planning on buying the 16GB model soon.

(1) What's the difference between 8GB and 16GB!? *I'm not the sharpest!

(2) So you pay €45 a month? Is this for pre-pay or bill pay? What do you get for €45 a month? 24/7 access to the internet?

(3) I hear you need a credit card card, will a LASER card do?

Hiya,

No difference between the 8GB and 16GB other than you can store more data (songs, movies, photos) on the 16GB model

It's bill pay, the net (EDGE) is no extra charge unless you go over the tariff. If you're using your own wireless net access at home (or say like a free wireless hotspot), of course, there is no charge.

No, you don't need a credit card of any kind. The only reason you'd need a credit card is if you plan on buying music from iTunes, if you have music on CD already, you're sorted.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your help. Still a tad confused about the whole internet aspect.
    Is it like broadband? Picture the scene, I'm on a train journey down south, can I just whip out my iphone and surf the web????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Is it like broadband? Picture the scene, I'm on a train journey down south, can I just whip out my iphone and surf the web????

A bit slower than broadband but fast enough to use it for surfing the net and emails and youtube. Yes you can use it whereever you have edge coverage. I'm not sure what the edge coverage is like though.. is it available wherever there is o2 signal or is it only certain areas? This you'll have to wait for someone else to answer but you should have no problem using it wherever you need it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I was in the West last weekend and used the net with Edge no problem, once you have a decent signal you can use it

I was in the middle of nowhere with a weak signal and it worked fine

The speed of it is decent enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

EDGE (256k) is only available on cells that have no 3G coverage. On all others there is GPRS (64k).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

EDGE (256k) is only available on cells that have no 3G coverage. On all others there is GPRS (64k).
    :eek:
    If that is true, then that means most of any urban centre, e.g. Dublin, has no EDGE. I hope that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

:eek:
    If that is true, then that means most of any urban centre, e.g. Dublin, has no EDGE. I hope that is not the case.

Not quite, Because o2 have their own cells and the they have is EDGE and not 3G. Walking around trinity a couple of years ago, there were about 60 separate cells.

My blackberry is pretty much always on EDGE so you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

O2 have almost complete EDGE coverage actually. I've never not had an EDGE connection since I've bought the phone. They say on their website that they'll have 99% coverage by April.

You do need a bank account to buy the iphone. You pay by direct debit or credit/laser card.

Yep, just like that, as long as you've got signal. My broadband connection is a tad bit faster at home but it isn't as though EDGE is anywhere near slow. Any of us who've had to endure dial up would think it's lightening fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Sorry if this has been answered already.
    I got my iphone yesterday and have decided (for the moment) to use my existing account. Is there a way to add a bundle for data?
    I read somewhere that you can add 250mb of data for 7.50.
    The other question I have is, will O2 allow me to sign up to the iphone tarrif (if I decide to) considering that the phone was unlocked by me?
    Thanks
    Sham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

This is incorrect. EDGE is an upgrade of the core network and 2G basestations. O2 have upgraded almost all of their 2G basestations so in theory you will get EDGE almost everywhere you get coverage.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the 3G network.

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    This is incorrect. EDGE is an upgrade of the core network and 2G basestations. O2 have upgraded almost all of their 2G basestations so in theory you will get EDGE almost everywhere you get coverage.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the 3G network.

Great to hear from somebody who actually knows what they are talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 philip_tyrrell@

sham69 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered already.
    I got my iphone yesterday and have decided (for the moment) to use my existing account. Is there a way to add a bundle for data?
    I read somewhere that you can add 250mb of data for 7.50.
    The other question I have is, will O2 allow me to sign up to the iphone tarrif (if I decide to) considering that the phone was unlocked by me?
    Thanks
    Sham

A bit more info please. Did you buy the phone from O2 here? Do they have a record of you buying the phone? If so then they will be expecting you to switch tarrif and if you ring to add on the data plan (which does exist. I signed up to it) they might insist that you switch to the iPhone bundle.
    I know they are not letting anyone sign up to an iPhone bundle who already had the iPhone here before the launch here. I would imagine that the same would apply to anyone who buys one from them but doesn't sign up straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Regarding Edge coverage, I've found its coverage to be less than brilliant. I live and work in Arklow, Co. Wicklow, and I never get any Edge here, just the usual GPRS network speeds, which is really slow. Edge only kicks in when I'm up in Dublin the odd time. It's pretty annoying considering Arklow is pretty close to Dublin and doesn't have any coverage. I hope they roll-out this supposed country-wide coverage soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

EDGE is far from being nationwide. There are many areas where there is no EDGE coverage (Portlaoise, Abbeyleix, Kilkenny) only GPRS but these areas seem to have very good 3G coverage. Not alot of use if the iphone can't use 3G.

Does Arklow have 3G coverage as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Is it a lot of hassle owning an unocked iPhone? You have to make sure you dont click update when you sync with iTunes I know but is there anything else that is a bother?

Like when 1.4.5 or whatever is the next update you have to wait for another hack to install the update dont you? Id like to get an iphone to use with my speakeasy sim but it sounds like a lot of admin thats maybe not worth it?

Im not interested in any of the 3rd party stuff ( eg NES games or Sonic the hedgehog etc etc) Id be happy enough with the apples own downloads.

PPS anyone know if there is a handy way to upgrade from 10.3.9? Where can you get I dunno is it Tiger the next step up for the least amount of cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Like when 1.4.5 or whatever is the next update you have to wait for another hack to install the update dont you? Id like to get an iphone to use with my speakeasy sim but it sounds like a lot of admin thats maybe not worth it?

You have no obligation to upgrade whatsoever. I don't have my iphone yet but running 1.1.2 on my ipod touch. Haven't bothered to upgrade as I have a few apps etc on it that I don't want to have to go and get again. If a feature tempts you and theres a hack then its not hard to do at all and takes a few minutes.
    Im not interested in any of the 3rd party stuff ( eg NES games or Sonic the hedgehog etc etc) Id be happy enough with the apples own downloads.

Most of the 3rd party apps are very very useful. Proper sms, mms, copy your sim contacts, internet radio etc. Its not just for games. Also you won't be able to download any apple approved 3rd party apps until june.
    PPS anyone know if there is a handy way to upgrade from 10.3.9? Where can you get I dunno is it Tiger the next step up for the least amount of cash?

Thats a question for the mac forum. But yes.. ebay! I bought a legit and sealed copy of leopard from ebay for a good bit cheaper than you'd pay over here. Came from the states within 3days. Just have a look around.

Sorry got the phone from the states.
    They have no idea I have the phone.
    Whats stopping me riinging them and asking for a data bundle and telling them got a nokia n95 or something?
    Do you know how much the data costs at the moment, I think I have used about 6mb so far. I am on active life 150 with an addon of 100 texts.
    My plan is to drop the extra texts and get the data bundle instead.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Not true.

O2 are nearing the end of a complete swap out to have a 100% EDGE network.

Archytas wrote: »
    Not quite, Because o2 have their own cells and the they have is EDGE and not 3G.

Not True.

O2 have an EDGE network AND a separate 3G network. Their own 3G network separate from Vodafone/Meteor/3.

3 & Meteor have roaming arrangements with Vodafone for a limited number of masts. The roaming arrangement only covers certain areas.

The iPhone uses an EDGE or WLAN connection.

Just checked my O2 account and I don't believe it.
    On Sunday when I got my Iphone I was messing around showing it off to friends in the pub etc and I have clocked up 80 euro worth of data.
    I am sick.....
    1cent per kb is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

sham69 wrote: »
    Just checked my O2 account and I don't believe it.
    On Sunday when I got my Iphone I was messing around showing it off to friends in the pub etc and I have clocked up 80 euro worth of data.
    I am sick.....
    1cent per kb is a disgrace.

Why didn't you geta data add-on? Is it a Jail broken one?

Advertisement