Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NOT APOLOGISING! It's all relative! Come on, I'd take Eamon Keane giving a politician a dressing down over Sile Seoige discussing dressing gowns any day.

Not if the studio has a camera and Sile is trying them on.! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh dear jesus .

an extra half hour of moncrief ?

looks like i'll be slapping on the podcasts at 1.30 then.

i cant stand the guy. its the same crap over and over again. god help me ive found myself turning over to joe !

i know he has his audience but that doesnt mean people that listen to the lunchtime show want to put up with him.

im starting to get worried about newstalk now. they just cant seem to keep the talent and get their act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Moncrieff's alright.

I mean if it's repetition that gets you then surely Joe is not the answer.

Does anyone have a schedule from when NT was Duberlin only?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

It all change at Newstalk, always.

They just can't hold down a schedule for any decent length of time. You might (I said "might") get used to somebody and then they're off or are sent packing to the broadcasting equivalent of Siberia.

What's going in there at all, staff morale has to be sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerryabu

So Dill on Global village is staying??

Even after her rant on us irish last week being racist because a dublin taxi man asked her where she was from??

And her stereotype irish "Drinking Guiness" and when the border was mentioned she said "The irish only know that for the cheap drink"

GET HER OFF AND GIVE SOMEONE ELSE THE SHOW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Henry is outstanding with some of his short contributions, but I wonder how he'll take to whatever format they have planned for him here?

Could be interesting.

It may need tight editing.

Anyone remember when the Breakfast Show used to have 2 personalities in to review the papers. Henry made a limited no of appearances in this role. He'd usually have 3 potential libel cases sparked up in the space of a couple of comments! It was literally...priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

delaad wrote: »
    It may need tight editing.

Anyone remember when the Breakfast Show used to have 2 personalities in to review the papers. Henry made a limited no of appearances in this role. He'd usually have 3 potential libel cases sparked up in the space of a couple of comments! It was literally...priceless.

Ha! Ha! Yes, remember that! A few have slipped through on his vox pops with "da odinaree people peoples a Dubalin" too - some classic xenophobic and racist comments from the punters that Henry (and producers etc.) missed.

Just remembered when Eamon Dunphy was on Breakfast and he had Amanda Brunker in on a Friday to talk about the Dublin Social/Gossip Scene - high-brow programming indeed! After the first segment he got literally dozens ( :) Ok, it was Dublin-only at this stage....) of texts asking WTF were they doing having her on; which in true Eamo fashion he read out on air. I think that segment lasted 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

kerryabu wrote: »
    So Dill on Global village is staying??

Even after her rant on us irish last week being racist because a dublin taxi man asked her where she was from??

And her stereotype irish "Drinking Guiness" and when the border was mentioned she said "The irish only know that for the cheap drink"

GET HER OFF AND GIVE SOMEONE ELSE THE SHOW!!!

I hate that show. Minority this and minority that, racism here there and everywhere. Just get on with it, its just a 2 hour winge fest with a load of nobodies complaining about their treatment/experiences in ireland and with irish people. On a saturday night at 7 o clock surely they could find something better to have on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mike65 wrote: »

All evidence of that has been erased.

remember the 2 hours of pretentious crap they used to have on in the afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I can't find a schedule, but I found an old Irish Times article dated 10th April 2002. The day after Newstalk went on air.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2002/0410/1017357761535.html

The link often fails so I copied the text of the article and posted it below.

Apologies for taking up so much room.

"Harry Browne listens to the first day of Dublin's all-talk radio station and finds a local station with national ambition which might find itself stretched.

At the time of going to press, The Irish Times had not heard of any "news junkies" going to hospital with overdoses. However, Dublin's NewsTalk 106 is clearly aimed at listeners who need a fix in a hurry: "You can watch it tonight, you can read it tomorrow, but you can hear it now . . ."
    Then again, you wouldn't want to take the station's promo snippets too seriously - like the one which plugged "the new radio competition that everyone's already talking about . . .". Some trick, when the relevant programme had not even aired yet.

From listening to its first-day programming yesterday, you get the feeling that NewsTalk would love to have poached Eamon Dunphy. Failing that, they've tried to clone him into three parts: David McWilliams represents the vaguely iconoclastic but basically pro-business Dunphy, Damien Kiberd is the green-leaning Dunphy, and George Hook is the jock-talking Dunphy.
    And for Daire O'Brien's show, NewsTalk has managed to attract Amanda Browne, formerly The Last Word's researcher, as the programme's producer.

The level of NewsTalk's ambition (or pretensions) can be measured by the fact that hardly any item from 7 a.m. to 2.30 p.m. was a local Dublin story.
    The station's on-air talent is notably male and its audience is likely to be similar. The major exception is in the afternoon, when the presenters not only lack a Y chromosome, but have also been permitted to team up.
    Dublin Life, with Sue Carter and Karen Moran, is the one programme which follows a talk-radio convention which is commonplace in other countries - having two hosts who alternately bounce questions off their guests and trade banter with each other.

The result is certainly not (yet) slick, but the busy-ness, "yoof" and laughter of Dublin Life was refreshing compared to the dry sound elsewhere.

Inevitably, there were some surprises from the more isolated-sounding presenters. Agenda viewers, used to the authoritative appearance of McWilliams on TV3, may have been taken aback that his voice alone doesn't convey the same strength.

This may not be a problem - Dunphy proves, among many other things, that highly individual non-standard voices can work well on radio.
    George Hook had better hope he is another case in point. His introductions were awkward, verging on fumbling. Some of his actual interviews, however, were surprisingly smooth and concise.

O'Brien has no such worries, combining reach-out-and-touch- him warmth with evident skills.

At lunchtime, Kiberd, on the other hand, didn't quite find his flow, hampered both by technical problems and by the station's programming structure, which sees too many interruptions from ads, promos and the vaunted 20/20 news service every 20 minutes.

Kiberd's programme did, at least, have a newsworthy interview with Mary Harney, though the Ansbacher-related remarks picked up from the interview by other media weren't even reported in NewsTalk's own bulletins.

The NewsTalk newsroom, even with input from Independent Network News, will clearly be stretched. The same goes for the producers of a full 10 hours a day of serious, newsy speech-based programmes, all basically chasing the same sorts of items and chats as their RTÉ and Today FM counterparts.

Even with a single strong-hand- ed editor overseeing the whole lot, how long will it be before the various shows fracture into the sort of mutual suspicion which normally fills the air at Montrose?
    Early on, that old RTÉ politicker, Eoghan Harris, joined McWilliams to "review the morning's newspapers" - i.e. to hammer the IRA and praise the Queen Mum."

Harris declined to bash the Catholic Church, which he thought deserved more credit for its "decommissioning" efforts. NewsTalk followed his lead: the topic which has dominated RTÉ was conspicuous by its virtual absence."

Just found the Irish Independents review a few days later.

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/but-can-they-walk-the-walk-310061.html

That link works!

Cheers for that, I'd forgotton about the 20/20 marlarky, dunno who though that was a smart move, didn't they then go big with news on the half hour before shortening it to headlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

I was only thinking about 20/20 the other day and how annoying it was!

Stations make really outlandish proposals at BCI/BAI application time to stand out and then regret them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

More Music wrote: »

How true. It just interrupted the flow of the programmes and was quickly dispensed with.

Koloman wrote: »
    Early on, that old RTÉ politicker, Eoghan Harris, joined McWilliams to "review the morning's newspapers" - i.e. to hammer the IRA and praise the Queen Mum."

What a fantastic description of Eoghan Harris! If the author had included a line about Harris' bedroom covered floor to ceiling in Bertie Ahern posters, badges and other paraphernalia it would however have been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

More Music wrote: »

Stations make really outlandish proposals at BCI/BAI application time to stand out and then regret them later.

i cant help thinking that alot of that was down to insecurity about actually filling the space's inbetween in the first place. you have to admit its a handy out to pad any show.

once they copped they could do the deed out went the 20/20 news.

good ridance TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Darragh from Boards is on lunchtime...the presenter clearly is not a user of Facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

NOT APOLOGISING! It's all relative! Come on, I'd take Eamon Keane giving a politician a dressing down over Sile Seoige discussing dressing gowns any day.

oops!! should've just quoted what you said about eamo. have only heard síle seoige once so haven't made my mind up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Connor Brophy is on RTE now, didn't realise he made the switch. RTE really is where they all aspire to be and to jump onto that juicy gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Have Newstalk dropped the Buisness show from Saturday? unless Sile will cover all that stuff in the new show.

• Advertisement

Newstalk to get European Cup rugby rights?

From "de papeur"

Newstalk have rights confirmed today, Munster match first up this weekend. I think they'll have 1 match a week during HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Badabing wrote: »
    Newstalk have rights confirmed today, Munster match first up this weekend. I think they'll have 1 match a week during HC.

Any word as to how they are going to cover their match? If its anything like the Gillette Soccer Saturday job they do on the Premier, then this will be a disaster. I mean if there's any game where stuff goes on "off the ball"(!!!!), it's rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Badabing wrote: »
    Have Newstalk dropped the Buisness show from Saturday? unless Sile will cover all that stuff in the new show.

There is no mention of it here http://www.newstalk.ie/featured/newstalk-106-108-fm-autumnwinter-schedule/ , so I assume so.

Rubik. wrote: »

I'm a bit suprised by that tbh. There totally going fluffy now at weekends only missing Mr.Dunne now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

This man is bloody terrible...I have listened to his annoying 'banter' for the last time today. Never again will I listen to NT in the morning if he is on.

This morning he had Bill O'Herlihy, he of O'Herlihy Communications and RTE soccer presenter, a man who has 30 years in business and journalism, has overcome two health scares and is pretty much admired by the nation.

...and what does Ivan, trying to be funny, drag the conversation down to?? Hillary Clinton's legs!

Bill was clearly unconfortable, saying 'what have I got myself into'.

Awful stuff from Newstalk.

NT trumpeting their European Cup rugby coverage this morning - Sky would have been proud.

NT trumpeting their European Cup rugby coverage this morning - Sky would have been proud.

Yes, and they cover the Munster match. A formerly Dublin-only station, based in Dublin, the majority of whose listeners are Dublin-based and they go with the Munster game - ignoring the fact that Leinster have more supporters (in actual attendance numbers), have been the more successful of the big two in recent years, gave beaten Munster 5 times in a row and 7 out of the last 9 games.....I could go on.....

I'm hoping Sile Seoige is commentating and yes, I am being sarcastic.

They may not have been able to bid for the Dublin Leinster game, I dunno what the terms are. Do they have first dibs?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Wonder if Newstalk can afford the train fare to Limerick or will we get commentary relayed from the TV in the corner of the Dublin studio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ger Gilroy was very keen to stress how "exclusive" Newstalks rugby rights are.
    You would think they were the only radio station in the world to broadcast live H.Cup games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement