Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I caught a travel segment Seoige did for the Pat Kenny show this week. She went to Mitchelstown Caves and filed a report including many soundbites of interviews she undertook with tourists.
    You would expect that the enthusiasm would have been coming from the tourists in the main but instead it was the over-eagerness of Seoige which permeated the segment. Ultimately it grated on me and I just wanted it to end quickly. It sounded like a piece an excited transistion year student might have filed.
    I haven't listened to her contributions on Newstalk but if they are anything like this effort I would be giving her a wide berth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Anyone know why Michael Graham was not on Hooky's show today? He usually comes on at 5.30 on Fridays.

Have to say I'm a huge fan of George Hook. I don't know what it is about him but he just presents a fantastic radio programme.

Fridays are the best day by far, they talk to Graham, have the three lads (Hook, McIntyre and Healy), talk to Gilesy and Big Ron, grumpy Jim Glennon (I really DO not like that guy, but he's good on the rugby).

Brilliant. Hope Newstalk doesn't go bankrupt, it's the best thing to ever happen Irish radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Badabing wrote: »
    I read in the Indo that Sile Seoige is been offered a full time gig on Newstalk i presume at the weekend does anyone know who she's taking over from? Orla Barry or maybe she'll be Ger Gilroys sidekick

According to the article it is part of "a radical overhaul of the station's weekend schedule", which will be launched in the coming days.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/seoiges-warmth-melts-ice-queen-image-2332690.html

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

If you are over a certain age, you probably prefer to spend your day listening to talkradio , and if you are on the road for a living, like me, id say its a requiste. Having said that, drivetime is toss up between hook and cooper, as mary wilson is useless .I think yates going on till 10am is a great move, jon murray is a waste of space, another plain joe, wjo thinks he is a comedian . Things must be bad, when george lee seems a better bet on the Business programme on saturday mornings . In fact murray is soo bad, i actually turned on 2FM the other moprning to listen to Tubridy. I can remember the last time i listened to 2Fm before this.Moncrieff is the best daytime presenter on NT . His is the only segment of thedaytime schedule where NT absolutely trumps radio 1 .In fact if anyone remembers his April fool day show from last year, it was absolute radio gold .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

In fact if anyone remembers his April fool day show from last year, it was absolute radio gold .

Missed that one, what did he do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I can't believe Sile Seoige is getting a full-time (or even a part-time) gig with Newstalk. Anyone who caught her deputising for Tom Dunne will recall with horror her nervous "performances". Admitting live on-air that you're petrified is probably not the best move Sile............

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

He did a programme where every item they covered was fairly bizarre, but almost believeableand at the end of the show, after 2 hours 30 mins, he announced they were all spoofs. I know that newspapers and such like do spoofs, but i dont remember anyone doing a whole programme . Mind you, one year after the bidget, when pat kenny had the minister of finance on, the next day, it was charlie mcgreevy at the time, gerry ryan had a guy on who was taking off said charlie mcgreevy . I think it was the fella they have on joe duffy on the last friday of the month . Anyway, people phoned in, as they did on pat kenny with questions for the minister. B ut the Spoof Charlie, took the piss with them. One woman was querying how she would survive on some particulatar social welfare scheme, and the spoof charlie told her he hadnt a clue, and maybe she should get off her arse and get a job.I guess you had to hear to get the full effect, but definitly on of the few times i thought G Ryan was actually funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seannaigh

In reply to the previous poster noticing the lack of Tom Dunne fans, I felt the need to defend the TD show. Have listened all summer and it's excellent. Behind OTB it's definitely my favourite show on NT and I would choose it above any other morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

seannaigh wrote: »
    In reply to the previous poster noticing the lack of Tom Dunne fans, I felt the need to defend the TD show. Have listened all summer and it's excellent. Behind OTB it's definitely my favourite show on NT and I would choose it above any other morning show.
    Ok, another Tom Dunne fan here. Absolutely. A great way to get away from the constant doom and gloom on the airwaves. Some people need to lighten up a bit and smile now and again. TD (AND Radio Nova now) always does this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Ok, another Tom Dunne fan here. Absolutely. A great way to get away from the constant doom and gloom on the airwaves. Some people need to lighten up a bit and smile now and again. TD (AND Radio Nova now) always does this for me.

Good for you,Folks,but I just cannot abide his conscious self importance and over indulgence in trite matters.Maybe I should lighten up but the efficient TD comes across as a smooth commercial product:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I left the breakfast show on NT about a year ago and went back to morning Ireland as Claire B was way to tabloid for me.Over the last week I have given the NT breakfast show another go and its a vast improvement,I especially like the extra hour and its not as rushed.

My timing is also crap as I missed all the drunk/hangover phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

Did anyone hear OTB on Thursday? Anyone have an idea (or heard anything) about what Ken Early was cryptically referring to as "one of the worst days in his professional life"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dub13 wrote: »
    I left the breakfast show on NT about a year ago and went back to morning Ireland as Claire B was way to tabloid for me.Over the last week I have given the NT breakfast show another go and its a vast improvement,I especially like the extra hour and its not as rushed.

+1

I think the extra hour works very well. The presenters manage to keep up with the more weighty issues covered earlier in the programme and yet its more chilled out without being tacky and silly. Newstalk have hit on something here and whether it was by accident or design, I think John Murray over on RTE (good bloke that he is) will feel the brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The Sci3ntist

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Anyone know why Michael Graham was not on Hooky's show today? He usually comes on at 5.30 on Fridays.

He was on Monday's show between 5.30 and 6 so maybe he's switched slots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

mrkr wrote: »
    Did anyone hear OTB on Thursday? Anyone have an idea (or heard anything) about what Ken Early was cryptically referring to as "one of the worst days in his professional life"?

I remember him saying he had a bad day, not that it was the worst day in his professional life. He was being overly dramatic, something to do with a book Murph has and he wants. There is an ongoing exchange about it on their twitter pages. Its just a piss take.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lapin wrote: »
    +1

I think the extra hour works very well. The presenters manage to keep up with the more weighty issues covered earlier in the programme and yet its more chilled out without being tacky and silly. Newstalk have hit on something here and whether it was by accident or design, I think John Murray over on RTE (good bloke that he is) will feel the brunt.

I also think it complements the tom dunne show as after an hour of serous stuff the TD show is a nice come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Did Dunphy sound like a not so in-the-closet FFer this morning, or what?

At least Hook and Yates don't hide their allegiances!

Dub13 wrote: »
    I also think it complements the tom dunne show as after an hour of serous stuff the TD show is a nice come down.

This is true, but I usually find myself switching over to PK for the first hour of his programme on RTE rather than listening to Tom Dunne.

Nothing against Tom (who I like) but PK will often follow up on the issues raised earlier that morning and trash them out with with a little more insight than anyone else.
    And he usually has a few guests in studio to provoke a good debate.

More often than not, comments made live on air during an interview with Pat will have more resonance than a commentary by Ryan Tubridy telling us what book he read in Spiddal over the weekend or Tom Dunne telling us how he spent a train journey from Cork to Dublin.

There are mornings when PK opens his programme with Nobel Prize winners from places like Bavaria or obscure artists from Leitrim.
    On such occasions I will gladly listen to Tom Dunne talking about loyalty cards.

But such occasions are few and far between.

There are mornings when PK opens his programme with Nobel Prize winners from places like Bavaria or obscure artists from Leitrim.
    On such occasions I will gladly listen to Tom Dunne talking about loyalty cards.
    Yeah, PK going arty can be tedious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

4 words that make me turn off Newstalk, "Hi, I'm Tom McEnaney". I can't stand him, he thinks he's funny and will interrupt somebody making a serious point to insert some unfunny quip. Please come back Conor Brophy.

• Advertisement

Jaysus it all sounds very chaotic down at the ploughing this morning on the Breakfast programme. Mairead Lavery of The Farmers Journal really knows how to get the crowd wound up. A mini riot going on according to Ivan Yates.

God help poor Biffo when he turns up there tomorrow !

Jaysus it all sounds very chaotic down at the ploughing this morning on the Breakfast programme. Mairead Lavery of The Farmers Journal really knows how to get the crowd wound up. A mini riot going on according to Ivan Yates.

God help poor Biffo when he turns up there tomorrow !

What did she say?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Poly wrote: »
    What did she say?
    'We're all out of hash browns'.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

I used to listen to newstalk a lot but im going off the station BIG time. Esp the Right Hook. Is it just me, or has George Hook become very aggressive in the way he presents his program?, in particularly his "rant" at the start of the of each show. Dont like it at all..
    He starting to sound like Vincent Brown, ("its my opion that matters")..... Theres someone id like to smack!!!:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭jane wani

how many seconds b4 a cough ...im counting

mmmm en vino veritas...ic ah marc you so brainy

lol it was someone else..ahh marc is saved ...and again another not marc cough..2mins 35

There he goes.
    Time - 22.25.35

lol indeed...and that comment there about testicles was funny...the girl laughed
    the quoted text was....read by our marc.."the fact you couldnt read out the euphemism for testicles means you dont have any"" lol great line listener ..
    coleman read it ...what a plank

• Advertisement

lol .....he just said and i quote"the majority said that assisted suicide should be lethal" dearrrrr god marc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement