Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nmoran

Orla Barry is also going to be the Social Affairs correspondent for the station. Said she is going to be showing up on other programmes throughout the week. Her new show is going to be an arts programme. Wonder if there are implications for Culture Shock. Probably the end for Motormouth also....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I posted about Tom Macaneny (sp?) on Newstalk and nobody took up the baton. Either nobody listens to him or the people who do couldn't be bothered to disagree with me couldn't be bothered to post. I don't care either which way but does anybody have an opinion of him. I used to like Conor Brophy but 'Tom, I am the man' is ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk to get European Cup rugby rights?

From "de papeur"
    By Tony Leen

NEWSTALK are on the brink of muscling in on RTÉ Radio’s heretofore exclusive rights to the Heineken Cup.

Negotiations with tournament organisers, ERC, are at an advanced stage and may be unveiled ahead of next weekend’s big kick-off.

It is understood the national independent will share live commentary rights with RTÉ Radio, and in some instances, will have first call on the plum fixtures involving Irish provinces Leinster, Munster and Ulster.

It is a blow for RTÉ generally, as Sky Sports have exclusive television rights sewn up at present, despite a Government campaign here to make the Heineken Cup available on a terrestrial television platform. A well-placed source confirmed: "Newstalk have gone after these rights with a vengeance and will be successful."

The station already has Sunday Premier League rights in football, and has had discussions with the GAA with a view to a share of the hurling and football market.

The 16th Heineken Cup kicks off next Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

mike65 wrote: »
    Newstalk to get European Cup rugby rights?

From "de papeur"

Well if they do, will they bother to send the commentators to the match?

Their soccer commentary is appalling.

I think Newstalk had commentaries on the last World Cup but I never listened.

Hope RTE keep the Heineken Cup radio rights, they do a good job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

nmoran wrote: »
    Orla Barry is also going to be the Social Affairs correspondent for the station.....

Whats a social affair ?

• Advertisement

Fluff correspondent? Just what Newstalk need. I mean that sincerely, its about their level these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Lapin wrote: »
    Whats a social affair ?

She is going to be Newstalk's version of Lorraine Keane. A fluff job alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭SportsGreatest

When's her new programme starting? I was expecting to hear it tonight, but there was a repeat of Talking History on.

When's her new programme starting? I was expecting to hear it tonight, but there was a repeat of Talking History on.

Does that mean Motormouth has kicked the bucket ?

Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭SportsGreatest

Lapin wrote: »
    Does that mean Motormouth has kicked the bucket?

Yeah, last week's show was the last one for the near future anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

So Moncrieff is now 1.30-4.30 i wonder whats happening with Lunchtime show?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Badabing wrote: »
    So Moncrieff is now 1.30-4.30 i wonder whats happening with Lunchtime show?

Getting axed maybe? Tom Dunne 'til 13:30?

(Just speculation. But after all of newstalk's cuts last year, I'd say it's highly possible...)

Please nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Stuff an' nonsense from 10 till foreveer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Jonathan Healy said on Hook that he will be doing a half hour news show fro, 1.00 to 1.30, after the Lunchtime Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

So they've finally copped that anyone who wants to know what's actually happening in the country turns over to O'Rourke at one o'clock.

hacx wrote: »
    Jonathan Healy said on Hook that he will be doing a half hour news show fro, 1.00 to 1.30, after the Lunchtime Show.
    delaad wrote: »
    So they've finally copped that anyone who wants to know what's actually happening in the country turns over to O'Rourke at one o'clock.

If thats true then they should be doing the news from 12.30 till 1 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Very hard to listen to Mark Coleman... I'm sorry if he has chronic spluttering, but I dont want to hear it...

If thats true then they should be doing the news from 12.30 till 1 pm.

Fair enough, but surely the move is an attempt to compete.

And the 1.30 start for Moncreif an effort at eating into Liveline's 1.45 audience.

No need to compete directly, just get in first! By going out 30 mins sooner they'll get the political heavyweights (and Mammy) before RTEs lunchtime news.

No need to compete directly, just get in first! By going out 30 mins sooner they'll get the political heavyweights (and Mammy) before RTEs lunchtime news.

Provided of course they actually do news, and not the usual radio equivalent of op-ed, knocking copy that you can listen to right now.

• Advertisement

delaad wrote: »
    Provided of course they actually do news, and not the usual radio equivalent of op-ed, knocking copy that you can listen to right now.

Well said.

The first half hour of Lunchtime with Whoever today was spent interviewing Conor Faughnan from the AA about the front page article of todays Indo.

Newsworthy? - Perhaps
    Headline News? - No

True, anyway Moncreiff has confirmed he starts from 1.30 so that suggests Tom Dunne will get three hours again till 1 pm and then 30 mins news.

The 12 start was handy as it meant I could go straight from Kenny to more current affairs (however debased!) now its bather or blandola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerryabu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

From todays Mail....

Damien Kilberd will continue presenting Lunchtime from 12 to 1.

Jonathan Healy will do a news roundup, 1 to 1.30.

Henry McKean gets his own show, "Under the Covers", Saturday mornings 9 to 10.

George Hook will be doing a playback-type show Saturdays 10 to 12.

And Sile Seoige will be on Saturdays 12 to 2.

Starting the 23rd of October

Rubik. wrote: »

Good. Thats my golfing times for Saturdays sorted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

From todays Mail....

Damien Kilberd will continue presenting Lunchtime from 12 to 1.

Jonathan Healy will do a news roundup, 1 to 1.30.

WTF is Newstalk's fascination with Sile Seoige? If they thought Orla Barry was bland.......

Come back Eamon Keane - all is forgiven!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Henry is outstanding with some of his short contributions, but I wonder how he'll take to whatever format they have planned for him here?

Could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

WTF is Newstalk's fascination with Sile Seoige? If they thought Orla Barry was bland.......

Come back Eamon Keane - all is forgiven!!!!!

What?? now you just go away and think about what you just posted, and we'll all agree that you were wrong later!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

WTF is Newstalk's fascination with Sile Seoige?

A client of Irelands most powerful broadcasting agent exits stage left another one enters stage right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What?? now you just go away and think about what you just posted, and we'll all agree that you were wrong later!!

NOT APOLOGISING! It's all relative! Come on, I'd take Eamon Keane giving a politician a dressing down over Sile Seoige discussing dressing gowns any day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement