Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Rubik. wrote: »

sweet jesus thats an appalling line up.

i know mark mortell was leaving to go work for FG but you' think SOMEONE couldve taken over the down to business slot !

it was one of the best business shows on air and pissed all over RTEs offering.

looks like i now have no reason to listen to newstalk on a saturday.

about the only good thing is it looks like theyve got shot of saturday edition.

god that show did my head in with its patronising anti irishness.

i'll give sile a chance as she improved as time went on when she was covering for tom but im already cringing at the car crash that henry mckeens show is bound to be and hook lost me ages ago.

****ing hell what are they up to at newstalk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anti-Irish? Can't say I'd noticed. Its a rambling mess, that I have always noted. Brendan O'Brien is a terrible host.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I can't believe NewsTalk aren't continuing with Down to Business.

Surely they could find some talent out there to present it. It is one of the best and informative programmes they have imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭touts

salonfire wrote: »
    I can't believe NewsTalk aren't continuing with Down to Business.

Surely they could find some talent out there to present it. It is one of the best and informative programmes they have imo

There is a bigger strategy to this. They want to streamline their Newstalk and Today FM shows. Long term I expect the Sunday Business Show, The last Word, Sam Smyth and all the sports shows will move from Today FM to Newstalk. Tom Dunne, Seile Seoige, Orla Barry and possibly Sean Moncrieff will probably head in the opposite direction. The thing that kicks it off could be when George Hook Retires and Matt Cooper moves over. That will need someone to take the 4:30-7:00 slot on Today FM and you could see Tom Dunne do that as he is clearly a lost soul on Newstalk. That would give them a daily slot for Sam Smyth if he wanted it. Orla Barry and The Sunday Business show could swap slots. Seile Seoige plus a CD player could replace the Saturday Premiership show which then moves over to Newstalk.

Jasus you have it all mapped out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Orla Barry Tom Dunne Sile Seoige will be on Local Radio in 2 years never mind a national station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Wonder if Newstalk can afford the train fare to Limerick or will we get commentary relayed from the TV in the corner of the Dublin studio?

I hope you didn't get the train to Limerick for the match yourself.

It was played in Reading, in the royal county of Berkshire. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

touts wrote: »
    There is a bigger strategy to this. They want to streamline their Newstalk and Today FM shows. Long term I expect the Sunday Business Show, The last Word, Sam Smyth and all the sports shows will move from Today FM to Newstalk. Tom Dunne, Seile Seoige, Orla Barry and possibly Sean Moncrieff will probably head in the opposite direction. The thing that kicks it off could be when George Hook Retires and Matt Cooper moves over. That will need someone to take the 4:30-7:00 slot on Today FM and you could see Tom Dunne do that as he is clearly a lost soul on Newstalk. That would give them a daily slot for Sam Smyth if he wanted it. Orla Barry and The Sunday Business show could swap slots. Seile Seoige plus a CD player could replace the Saturday Premiership show which then moves over to Newstalk.

Whilst the above logic is sound it'll all fall apart if Sile Seoige is expected to operate the cd player herself. On a slightly more serious note, George won't retire because similar to Sky, he CARES about the quality of your listening experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Lapin wrote: »
    I hope you didn't get the train to Limerick for the match yourself.

It was played in Reading, in the royal county of Berkshire. :pac:

A fair cop :-)

And how did the much trumpted "exclusive live coverage" stand up in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

It was Ok. Dave MacIntyre & Co. were actually in Reading, which helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭SportsGreatest

Rubik. wrote: »
    Dave MacIntyre & Co. were actually in Reading, which helped.

Indeed. It makes it even more obvious that Newstalk do not attend the Premier League matches, as there is a massive difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

As one who was horrified that Newstalk might attempt to do their commentaries off screen in the studio, I have to say they did a reasonable job.

They made a huge play of proving they were at the match: McIntyre mentioned the height of the gantry they were broadcasting from; Hick, who actually sounded energised at times, repeated how he saw Toby Booth banging a stanchion in rage at the concession of the loser's bonus to Munster.Perhaps the rumbling of their Premier League coverage had got through to them, or more likely the organisers insisted they should be present at any match that they cover.

A major downside tho': too much celebrity analyis during the match. Now I know Fox Australia uses three voices in their coverage of the Tri-Nations, but one of them is not Matt Williams'. How anyone with an ear could think that Williams' plum-eating delivery could be a winner is beyond me. Use him at the end of match if you have to, but not during, when he'll even insist on talking over key action.

Bottom line for me in all this is that Michael Corcoran is the standard. I know he can wing it at times - "some fellow" often plays a key role in many of the matches he covers - but I would love to have heard his description of Tuitupou's BP winning try.

Newstalk won their contract fair and square. Let them live up to it. I reckon opinion of their delivery may crystallise when they do their first Leinster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The good:
    The coverage of the rugby was in fairness, good.

The bad:
    Which match are they covering again next week? Munster's! EXCLUSIVELY LIVE FROM THOMOND PARK! Don't worry about Leinster at all at all at all............

The new low:
    Glenda Gilson (yes, that's not a typo) on Ivan Yates just a few minutes ago as Newstalk's Exclusive X-Factor Corespondent thus displacing Amanda Brunker's Social Diary on Eamo's Breakfast back in the day. Does anyone within their core listenership really give a sh*t about X-Factor?

Matt Williams is the last man for radio, that voice is the least appealing of the Aussie stylings.

So from Nuclear Power to Glenda Gilson in one swift move, and that ealier discussion was neither interesting or illuminating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Man it's creepy listening back to Maurice Neligan talking about faith, god, life etc etc on Newstalk now... him having died at the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Man it's creepy listening back to Maurice Neligan talking about faith, god, life etc etc on Newstalk now... him having died at the weekend...

Ye heard that at lunch time. Thought it was a very insightful interview especially his views on the after life and his experiences with some patients who made incredible recoveries that he couldn't explain. It's not often you hear a doctor talk in such a way.
    He was a true pioneer of heart surgery. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I see Newstalk are doing property advertising in lieu of "news" on Lunchtime... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭SportsGreatest

What's the story with the Monday night slot? When is the new program starting?

The new weekday schedule starts today, so it should be next Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i really really really wish that newstalk would figure out how not to broadcast heavy breathing!

• Advertisement

During his introduction to Coleman at large tonight, Marc Coleman told us a number of times that The Labour Party and Eamonn Gilmore have a lot of questions to answer.

The most glaring question is, why didn't anyone from Labour have the guts to come on and take part in a programme discussing their budget proposals.

Coleman alluded to this by mentioning that Gilmore and Michael D. Higgins had no problem turning up for soft interviews in recent months.

Tonight's show is one of the better ones that I have heard in recent weeks.

Labour have let themselves down by not turning up. They won't be getting my vote if they haven't got the balls to explain their policies on programmes like this.

What's the story with the Monday night slot? When is the new program starting?

Correction - it is starting the 1st of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Latest thoughts on NT.

Really enjoyed the rugby coverage over the weekend. Dave McIntyre is proving to be quite the commentator, so much so that I think I'll be watching games on Sky and listening to his commentary from now on!

I was impressed with the full on package, Williams and Hickey in co-commentary with Hick on the sideline. I just hope that this level of production can continue. Tried listening to Radio 1's commentary of Leinster game, had to turn it off.

Down to Business being axed is such a shame, it is the only show I regularly podcasted. I believe that some sort of reincarnation will appear on Sundays now, hopefully it is as good!

Sile starting up on Saturdays.. well. I don't know. I'll probably be putting that in the Orla Barry/Wide Angle/Global Village grouping of 'listen to if there's nowt else on'.

well theres a new presenter for their breakfast business slot and all i can say is if you didnt like tom mcineny (spl?) i'll bet you miss him now.

slowly but surely all the programs are going tabloidesque.

i dont know who theyre targeting but its sure not their existing listernership. with all the changes that are going on i cant see how its not heamoraging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

i didnt mind that Tom fella he was ok but wtf is with that new one. her accents going to drive me nuts. have to stick a tv in the kitchen and get bloomberg for morning business news i think.

sadly i agree.

i used to religiously listen in to the business section when conor brophy was doing it and i liked tom but this american girl has done my head it, and its only the first day she's been on.

not often someone turns me off that quick.

hopefully it'll be abit like that time when they got some bloke and a girl to replace tom dunne when he was on his holliers and sile took over mid week becasue of how atrocious they were. unfortunetly if what ivan was saying later on is correct were stuck with her.

6.30 is too early in the morning to be put out like this so ill be turning off.

I'm off to Holland to embark on a crime spree !

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm off to Holland to embark on a crime spree !

Ignore that comment.

It was meant to be posted in the Liveline thread.

Stephen from Wexford called in to say that Dutch prisoners are allowed to purchase their own drugs. Joe wasn't long cutting him off.

Needless to say I didn't go to Holland in the end. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

heard annoying american woman is still on business this morning and had that equally annoying mortgage guy who,s still on his horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

neris wrote: »
    heard annoying american woman is still on business this morning and had that equally annoying mortgage guy who,s still on his horse.

As soon as she and Ivan started talking about milking cows I turned over to Spin 1038 (EFFING SPIN 1038!!) and was instantly less annoyed.

Now that I've turned over to Matt Cooper in the evenings, I'm pretty sure that I'll be turning over to Morning Ireland from tomorrow.

That only leaves me with Damien Kiberd at lunchtime followed by Moncrieff.

Another couple of weeks and I'll only be tuning in for Off The Ball?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement