Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options
1271272273274275277»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

oh the irony in one of their little info ads this morning. some muslim kid going on about how people should be allowed to practice their religious beliefs without having someone tell them their religion was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Is Pat Kenny on a weeks holidays ? Stand in people over the past 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

ifconfig wrote: »
    Is Pat Kenny on a weeks holidays ? Stand in people over the past 3 days

Yep,

He said it before he left on Friday. In fairness he's on air a lot more than he was on RTE or to that fact than Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Yep,

He said it before he left on Friday. In fairness he's on air a lot more than he was on RTE or to that fact than Hook.
    Absolutely agree.
    I've only switched the dial to him in recent weeks.
    The RTE/SOR show isn't working for me.
    Also the RTE stand in at the moment Keelin hurts my ears, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

bbability wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm closing this thread on Saturday. Please continue to discuss Newstalk shows in separate threads from Saturday.

i wonder who's going to be annoyed enough to start a jonathan healy thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Not to mention a Shane Coleman one...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'll probably have the Marc Coleman thread to myself, as I seem to be the only boardsie masochistic enough to listen to him!:p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'll probably have the Marc Coleman thread to myself, as I seem to be the only boardsie masochistic enough to listen to him!:p

I always keep forgetting to listen to him tbh. I genuinely used to enjoy his show during the week before. But that time on Sunday isn't exactly prime radio listening time for me. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I always keep forgetting to listen to him tbh. I genuinely used to enjoy his show during the week before. But that time on Sunday isn't exactly prime radio listening time for me. :P

I actually like the format of the show and appreciate many of the guests but Coleman himself I find borderline insufferable. He actually said a couple of months ago, and it's imprinted on my memory: "A lot of people on the left still have a soft spot for Stalin, or 'Uncle Joe' as they call him".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Much like Mooney a couple of months age, Chris Donoghue has had a complaint against him upheld for stating that he would vote in a referendum in favour of changes to Irish law to permit same-sex marriage. The BAI really thinks we're all idiots who have to be saved from radio presenters expressing an opinion.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/complaint-over-radio-host-backing-same-sex-marriage-upheld-in-part-1.2008972

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Much like Mooney a couple of months age, Chris Donoghue has had a complaint against him upheld for stating that he would vote in a referendum in favour of changes to Irish law to permit same-sex marriage. The BAI really thinks we're all idiots who have to be saved from radio presenters expressing an opinion.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/complaint-over-radio-host-backing-same-sex-marriage-upheld-in-part-1.2008972

Loved his response to it this morning at around 7:40 where he basically calls the decision bullsh*t. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

delighted with himself, raise his profile with his ever present and tiresome people pleasing populist viewpoints. his rant this morning was pathetic with his repetitive "it means i'm pro-equality" whinging. There was a gay rights spokesperson/campaigner who gave a very good in-depth interview a few weeks ago on a Saturday on Newstalk, who himself raised serious concerns over passing legislation for gay marriage, I can't remember his name but he gave a very balanced viewpoint on the issue, I'm pretty sure he was pro equality, would Chris regard him not to be or as bigoted because he didn't share his opinion? <Mod: snip - no personal abuse, including presenters and guests.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I couldn't give a toss about Chris's opinion on gay marriage however the BAI's busy body vocal interference in his voicing an opinion is in stark contrast with its continuing deafening silence on DOB's (whose winning of the ESAT contract was due to payments he made to FG's Michael Lowry, the then communications minister, who unduly influenced the bidding process accoridng to the Moriarty report...), ever increasing strangle-hold on Irish media.

As usual with most Irish institutions, the BAI is intent on policing Irish peoples morals and ethics while ignoring the golden circle 'establishment' surrounding our politicians...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: can we leave out the personal sniping please? Posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Noticed that the Tom Dunne Film review thingie podcast was available yesterday evening before the actual radio show aired...always thought it was live but tbh never listened to a whole show so could be wrong....he did mention txting in on 53106 which I thought was a bit odd considering it wasn't live - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

bbability wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm closing this thread on Saturday. Please continue to discuss Newstalk shows in separate threads from Saturday.

Is it not handier for everyone to have one general thread like this?

Alongside ones for the big shows: Hook, Breakfast etc. I thought that system worked well, but les mods have ses raisons that the rest of us ne connait pas...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Was gonna say this.

I don't want to start a Global Village thread. :-(:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hear hear. I second that.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Was gonna say this.

I don't want to start a Global Village thread. :-(:-(

there is one already. it'd be racist not to have it. or is that homophobic? sectarian anyone?

• Advertisement

there is one already. it'd be racist not to have it. or is that homophobic? sectarian anyone?

A thread singling out Global Village? I blame Irish society.

A thread singling out Global Village? I blame Irish society.

you definitely definitely can't blame certain sections of irish society though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056051153

here is the thread

be handy if the last post before locking has links to the threads.

as far as i know, it's only PK, moncreiff, off the ball and global friggin village that have threads.
    be grand if there was just a regular newstalk thread for the minor quibbles of the day during the news shows.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056051153

here is the thread

be handy if the last post before locking has links to the threads.

as far as i know, it's only PK, moncreiff, off the ball and global friggin village that have threads.
    be grand if there was just a regular newstalk thread for the minor quibbles of the day during the news shows.

I am so offended by this. Gonna oraganise a parade.

Woah, sorry, still in Global frame of mind.

And you all can f***in accept that.

Woah....

I am so offended by this. Gonna oraganise a parade.

Woah, sorry, still in Global frame of mind.

And you all can f***in accept that.

Woah....

it's your right to have a parade, man! or is that an offensive term to you??!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I might start a thread for that Gaeilge Gaisce thing, seeing as the Megathread is closing.

Boards might want to get some new servers to cope with the deluge of posts :pac:

it's your right to have a parade, man! or is that an offensive term to you??!

It's also my right not to have a parade. All you Irish people need to accept that.

And I find the term "offensive" offensive. It's my right to feel however I want to feel, without it being labelled. Please respect that.

Skid X wrote: »
    I might start a thread for that Gaeilge Gaisce thing, seeing as the Megathread is closing.

Boards might want to get some new servers to cope with the deluge of posts :pac:

Sin, sin, man.

Sin, sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I might as well now register that the woman who has a book show on Sunday Morning has the most D4 accent ever heard on radio, 'wroishers' and 'lish'r'shur' etc.. all delivered in an odd stop-start rhythm, as if each word is recorded independently then badly spliced together :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

ok the thread is now closed. I would ask all contributors who wish to discuss Newstalk shows to start separate threads for show topics. There are a few already in play such as the Pat Kenny Show and Off The Ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement