Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Dub13 wrote: »
    The sound of the 'crowd' is just ridiculously loud for the premiership games on Sunday.They are obviously not at the game and trying to compensate by having the crowd feed up very high,its so bad I was tempted to turn it off.

And the truth is I don't care if they are in a room in Newstalk or at the game,if I am in the car and need to listen to a game I don't care were they are once they give me good commentary.

Was very disappointed with this tbh, did anyone catch the 5-6 seconds during the Man C v Arsenal game where the 'crowd' disappeared?

Like the commentary, don't like the dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

A couple of weeks ao, they were interviewing Kenny Cunningham from the 'stadium' about 20 mins before he was to commentate on it, and they were piping generic crowd noises in the background, cringeworthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

connundrum wrote: »
    Was very disappointed with this tbh, did anyone catch the 5-6 seconds during the Man C v Arsenal game where the 'crowd' disappeared?

Like the commentary, don't like the dishonesty.

Yeah, I heard that. Very sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The much vaunted Sky has been doing this for years with La Liga. Can't even buy a live commentary of Barca-Madrid games.

Less than impressive all round, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

For me Ivan Yates is the best radio on in the mornin, but his show goes downhill at 9:30 when Tom Dunne comes in and bores the pants off everyone with insipid stories of how his kids just learned how to wipe their arses.

I found it hard to listen to his drivel when his show was 90% music, but two hours of him prattling on about manbags and moisturizer, my god who tortures themselves with that (noone I suspect).

Moncrieff is the only presenter on Newstalk worth his salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I listened to Moncreiff, for a decent spell, for the first time in a few years last week. If NT had in fact played a show from 2007 I doubt I'd have noticed. Has he introduced any new features across the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

I doubt it they get some terrible content on that show some of the worst guest interviews I've ever heard. I was more referring to his own adroit abilities as a presenter.

mike65 wrote: »
    I listened to Moncreiff, for a decent spell, for the first time in a few years last week. If NT had in fact played a show from 2007 I doubt I'd have noticed. Has he introduced any new features across the week?

There was an overhaul of the regular features about a year ago. Most importantly, the 3 biddys who used to go through the tabloids are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

Anyone know where Conor Brophy went to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That Tom Dunne Show Halloween ad is the most pathetic thing iv ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

If it aint broke.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ah get off the radio ye oul bat.... She was perfectly comfortable to tow the party line during the boom while it was personally profitable for her. No point in being straight talking NOW Mary, your party has ruined the country while you said nothing about their unsustainable policies when you had the power to ... You're gonna be very comfortable in her retirement, while the rest of are paying for you and your party's mistakes..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭neris

wonder will conor brophy get a morning business show on rte at 630 or get the business show that george lee does.

anyone know who the other senior figure who enquired about jumping ship in that tribune article is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I care if they are trying to suggest that they are there rather than sat in front of Sky Sports/ESPN. If they are not they should actually come clean but they never will. While its unlikely it would be amusing if, during a foul storm the picture started breaking up. Hmm I look forward to that! ;)

They often cover GAA games in studio watching the RTE feed with an analyst and dont try to hide the fact so why the pretence with the soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I was just listening to a repeat of George Hooks interview with Mark Little. Little was talking about Mirriam O'Callaghan and said she was 'good fun' and a ' good Mickey taker'.

Made me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

AGAIN with the compulsive gambling this morning !

i couldnt hack it and switched to 98fm/spin. i WANT talk radio but if all im getting is this shyte then its off to the music stations for me.

its got to the stage that now im in work im streaming podcasts off the net to keep myself sane.

dear gods someone do something quick as if it keeps up like this it'll be a JNLR collapse for NEWSTALK in a few months time (and theyre not the best now if that other thread is to be believed)

on other news , man its weird to hear connor brophy on drivetime . he seems to be settling in quite nicely at RTE flitting between radio and TV articles for six one.

this is now something NT editorial need to address as guys like him are becoming a walking advertisment for how much better you can do when ya leave the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Guy who stands in for Eamo (he's so boring and monotone I can't remember his name) called Matt Williams "Mark" and Ger Gilroy "Ger Kilroy" during the last 10mins of the show - I only tuned in for the sport as Eamo's absent (again) so God knows how many other mistakes he made.

Well, it looks like there will be a good few more guest presenters on The "Dunphy" Show. He claims the arrangement with Newstalk is "loose", after denying he has quit the station. Will be back next week though.

JNLR figures for the show 50,000, 10,000 up on last June.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/oct/31/dunphy-hasnt-quit-newstalk-show-despite-long-absen/?q=newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The stand in last week was some newspaper hack, Star editor I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The stand in last week was some newspaper hack, Star editor I think.

He is good on the radio (not sure about presenting),I had Matt cooper on a while ago and he was on with that celebrity solicitor and the star guy guy kept going on about the solicitors drink driving convection.It made for great radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Ger Colleran - Star Editor

He tries a little comedy/ theatricality in the same style as Ivan Yeates/ V Browne - works pretty ok. Also, he has opinions on the issues of the day which presumably is something they would want in a Dunphy stand in. He could well find a permanent home in radio.

Now on the other hand, did anyone catch Bobby Kerr of Dragons Den fame standing in on their weekend business show? Painful stuff and whoever put him on should be fired.

There is certainly room for non radio lifers with the right persona and interetsing back stories like Colleran or Yeates. Kerr just isnt cut out for it - same with his mate Gavin Duffy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dub13 wrote: »
    He is good on the radio (not sure about presenting),I had Matt cooper on a while ago and he was on with that celebrity solicitor and the star guy guy kept going on about the solicitors drink driving convection.It made for great radio.

I heard that actually. The solicitor was Gerald Keane and neither he nor Matt Cooper could stop him repeating over and over again "is that the same Gerald Keane who was convicted of drink driving?" (or words to that effect). Was funny at first then became irritating.

Didn't make the connection between him and yesterday's program but yeah, Ger Colleran rings a bell now that you mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Did anyone hear that cringe worthty interview that new business woman tried to do with Ryanair this morning on the breakfast show. Did'nt even introduce him as he was on about their half year results, kept asking questions he had already answered and cutting accross him.

He even sounded browned off with her

Think my six month old would have done a better job of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I heard that actually. The solicitor was Gerald Keane and neither he nor Matt Cooper could stop him repeating over and over again "is that the same Gerald Keane who was convicted of drink driving?" (or words to that effect). Was funny at first then became irritating.

Didn't make the connection between him and yesterday's program but yeah, Ger Colleran rings a bell now that you mention it.

he can dish it out but he cant take it.

he lost the plot on radio once when quized about the appropriatness of having a front page headline in the star saying some one should be shot and if he'd accept any blame if someone actually DID it

it was bluster nirvana :)

on the bobby kerr thing , hes no stand in. hes the new permanent host from what ive heard which is bloody depressing as marks gone to work for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Now on the other hand, did anyone catch Bobby Kerr of Dragons Den fame standing in on their weekend business show? Painful stuff and whoever put him on should be fired.

I caught a bit of it. My initial reaction was similar, but then I thought: this is the station that has brought us Sile Seoige and Glenda Gilson's "exclusive" X factor updates.

I'm going to give Bobby a few weeks grace I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

The dragons are a self promoting bore, the only mildly interesting one is the Cavan fella.

Margeret E. Ward is wreckin my buzz in the mornings, I feel a sudden urge to rush off to Kildare village outlet every time she comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Their new business person is totally rubbish compared to Conor Brophy. She really makes me reach for the dial.

George Hook is so anti EVERYTHING government that he makes so sense. Would love to hear his costed plan for recovery. Dont get me wrong, I won't be voting FF, but this guy goes out of his way to rubbish almost everything they say without offering any different solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭neris

They had Gavin Duffy on the breakfast show today. Boring grumpy presenter who has no personality. At least ivan wasnt on spouting his tabloid non stories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

neris wrote: »
    They had Gavin Duffy on the breakfast show today. Boring grumpy presenter who has no personality. At least ivan wasnt on spouting his tabloid non stories

Don't why they bothered with Duffy, Chris held the fort fine on his own a few weeks ago, in fact, I'd say the show was even better with Chris flying solo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement