Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rememberance Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

gurramok wrote: »
    Question for ya:)

Will you be commemorating our heroes who fought in the Irish War Of Independence for your freedom with such fervour as those men also fought for Ireland's freedom under Redmonds Home Rule promise by serving in WW1?

Note:..my grandad participated in both wars so it would affect my family bloodline if you cherished our independence heroes also!:D[/QUOTE

Good question!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Well, how do you do young Willie McBride?
    Do you mind if I sit hear down by your graveside,
    And rest for a while ‘neath the warm summer sun.
    I’ve been working all day and I’m nearly done.
    I can see by your gravestone you were only nineteen
    When you joined the great fallen in nineteen sixteen.
    Well I hope you died quick, and I hope you died clean,
    Oh Willie McBride, was it slow and obscene?

Chorus:
    Did they beat the drum slowly, did they play the fife lowly,
    did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down?
    Did the bands play the last post and chorus?
    Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest?

And did you leave a wife or sweetheart behind
    In some faithful heart is your memory enshrined,
    Although you died back in nineteen sixteen
    In some faithful heart are you forever nineteen?
    Or are you a stranger without even a name
    Enclosed now forever behind a glass frame
    In an old photograph torn, battered and stained
    And faded to yellow in a brown leather frame.

Chorus:

Now see how the sun shines o’er the green field of France
    There’s a warm summer breeze makes the red poppies dance,
    And see how the sun shines from under the clouds
    There’s no gas or barbed wire, there’s no guns firing now.
    But here in this graveyard it’s still no-man’s land
    The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
    To man’s blind difference to his fellow man
    To a whole generation who were butchered and damned.

Chorus:

Now young Willie McBride, I can’t help wonder why
    Do all those who lie here know why did they die.
    And did they believe when they answered the call
    Did they really believe that this war would end wars.
    Well the sorrow, the suffering, the glory the pain,
    The killing, the dying they were all done in vain
    For young Willie McBride it all happened again
    And again and again and again and again.

Chorus:

The hour has passed let them rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Not here it hasn't, Frenchy.

Edit: Damn computer clock.
    Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Hagar wrote: »
    Well, how do you do young Willie McBride?
    Do you mind if I sit hear down by your graveside,
    And rest for a while ‘neath the warm summer sun.
    I’ve been working all day and I’m nearly done.
    I can see by your gravestone you were only nineteen
    When you joined the great fallen in nineteen sixteen.
    Well I hope you died quick, and I hope you died clean,
    Oh Willie McBride, was it slow and obscene?

Chorus:
    Did they beat the drum slowly, did they play the fife lowly,
    did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down?
    Did the bands play the last post and chorus?
    Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest?

And did you leave a wife or sweetheart behind
    In some faithful heart is your memory enshrined,
    Although you died back in nineteen sixteen
    In some faithful heart are you forever nineteen?
    Or are you a stranger without even a name
    Enclosed now forever behind a glass frame
    In an old photograph torn, battered and stained
    And faded to yellow in a brown leather frame.

Chorus:

Now see how the sun shines o’er the green field of France
    There’s a warm summer breeze makes the red poppies dance,
    And see how the sun shines from under the clouds
    There’s no gas or barbed wire, there’s no guns firing now.
    But here in this graveyard it’s still no-man’s land
    The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
    To man’s blind difference to his fellow man
    To a whole generation who were butchered and damned.

Chorus:

Now young Willie McBride, I can’t help wonder why
    Do all those who lie here know why did they die.
    And did they believe when they answered the call
    Did they really believe that this war would end wars.
    Well the sorrow, the suffering, the glory the pain,
    The killing, the dying they were all done in vain
    For young Willie McBride it all happened again
    And again and again and again and again.

Chorus:

The hour has passed let them rest in peace.

I hate this song. Morons sing it when they are on holiday, drunk, because they think it's a rebel song.

barclay2 wrote: »
    Its worth remembering that all political parties in the republic, and the vast majority of the citizens here, and the constitution, aspire to Irish Unity. And they aspire to achieving it by consent - in other words, by making the concept of a united and independent Irish state attractive enough to citizens on both sides of the border for them to vote in favour of it.

A sizeable minority on the island - the Unionist majority in the North - either regard themselves as British or at least value the history of British identity on the island. That identity and history includes, among a lot of other things, the Irish contribution to the British military.

To argue that to be Irish means one cannot or should not remember that contribution with pride, and express that pride by wearing the poppy, only further alienates Unionists in the North. Such alienation makes it even less likely that any Unionists/Northern Protestants will ever see a United Ireland as an attractive concept and thereby makes the possibility of Irish Unity even more remote.

I wont wear a poppy, but that just because i never wear any kind of symbols like that e.g. poppies, lillies, shamrock etc. But i dont see any problem with people in Ireland wearing one, and i think that chastising people who do will only entrench the divisions that exist on the island.

While I would like to see a United Ireland, I wouldn't want to make too many concessions to the northern unionists, if any at all - they are a snivelling snivelling bunch. If a united Ireland came about, the unionists would be pushing for all sorts of ways to dilute Irish culture. As a lobby group they would have huge power. The question of a united Ireland is the supreme pancake.

Also, I would like to see it made compulsory that all unionists MUST wear the poppy, so as the rest of us know who they are. This way they couldn't skulk in the corner like common thieves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Also, I would like to see it made compulsory that all unionists MUST wear the poppy, so as the rest of us know who they are. This way they couldn't skulk in the corner like common thieves.

You sound extremely paranoid with that stupid statement. You've written a lot of rubbish of this thread so far but that really takes the biscuit. And I might be right in saying "What a load of old cobblers".

I hate this song. Morons sing it when they are on holiday, drunk, because they think it's a rebel song.
    But it's not is it? How do you know why a person sings a song? Psychic maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Anyone know when "poppy day" became a fortnight?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

They usually think that it's an Irish rebel song too !

Hagar wrote: »
    But it's not is it? How do you know why a person sings a song? Psychic maybe?

Well I've often been roaring drunk and sang rebel songs and Irish ballads - who hasn't - but it irks me to hear The Green Fields of France. Imbeciles usually sing it and emphasise the bit where it mentions 1916...even though the song is about WW1 and nothing to do with the Irish struggle whatsoever (so mixed up is their weak grasp of history).

"Down with that sort of thing" says the chessplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It ' (the green fields of france ) ' was also written by a scotsman ...

Indeed it was, Eric Bogle afair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

Did you hear the Chieftains/Finbarr Furey version-vomit bag please!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Blisterman wrote: »
    Were it not for the british army in world war 2, we'd all be speaking german now, neutrality or not.

Well German is not the most flowery language in the world. But Dublinstadt mightn't be so bad. Less scum and skangers. We'd have an autobahn! Damn better service and efficiency about the place.

Curse the Brits and the allies!!! :mad:

Originally Posted by Blisterman
    Were it not for the british army in world war 2, we'd all be speaking german now, neutrality or not.
    If it were not for the Americans entering the war ,the british would have being speaking german a lot sooner . :)

Sure haven't they got a German Royal Family? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ArthurF wrote: »
    Its no good attacking little old me! all I am doing is trying to get it into your thick heads that I wear the Poppy for the Irish men who died in the Great War & WWII, and if emotive and descriptive language helps to get the message across to the nay-sayers ~ then so be it.

(maybe lateina should have another look at Post #162)
    I strongly resent this supercilious, superior and abusive comment.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

A lot of people on this forum seem to have problems seperating religion from loyalty and respect.

The poppy is a symbol of people's respect for people who gave their lives in defence of our way of life, if it wasn't for these brave people the world would be a very different place, and not in a good way. For a start we wouldn't have a democracy and we would be under the direct control of the German Kaiser.

I was at a Royal British Legion fundraiser in Belfast last year and the people there were genuinely passionate about making the lives of those injured and their families better and more dignified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

jahalpin wrote: »
    For a start we wouldn't have a democracy and we would be under the direct control of the German Kaiser.

Wow! you don't say. We were under direct control for a lot longer than 90 odd years by another foreign power, who didnt give two fvcks when millions of people starved to death in this country. I don't know if the German Kaiser could have been much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jahalpin wrote: »
    The poppy is a symbol of people's respect for people who gave their lives in defence of our way of life, if it wasn't for these brave people the world would be a very different place, and not in a good way. For a start we wouldn't have a democracy and we would be under the direct control of the German Kaiser.
    Says who exactly? The Russians were the ones who annihilated most of the Axis armies.

Anyway, I didn't wear a poppy, but for a different reason to most of the people here. I refuse to wear something to commemorate soldiers, no matter what patch of turf they were fighting over.

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »

Anyway, I didn't wear a poppy, but for a different reason to most of the people here. I refuse to wear something to commemorate soldiers, no matter what patch of turf they were fighting over.
    That imo , is probably the best reason for not wearing a poppy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

latchyco wrote: »
    If it were not for the Americans entering the war ,the british would have being speaking german a lot sooner . :)

If you've ever read the original script of Beowulf (as I was forced to do) you'd realise that they were already speaking German. Has it twigged yet they we're typing in German right now?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Anyone know when "poppy day" became a fortnight?

it's always been a poppy fortnight, at least they go on sale two weeks before the second Sunday in November.

A fortnight that ended yesterday, so we can park this thread and have exactly the same discussion again next year and the year after and the year after.....

Quote =Lirange;54401152]If you've ever read the original script of Beowulf (as I was forced to do) you'd realise that they were already speaking German. Has it twigged yet they we're typing in German right now?! :eek:
    cant find beowulfs script ..typing in german ??? only connection i know between english and german is the royal family .:eek:

Stoner wrote: »
    I visited Glasnevin graveyard recently and went on a tour, there is a memorial for the Irish men and women who died during WW2, it is the responsibility of the British War Memorial Group to maintain this monument, but they ignore it, as a result it has been taken under the wing of the graveyard and thankfully it is being cleaned up at the moment.

I have spoken to the CWGC about this and they certainly do not ignore it. They work very closely with the OPW and only the other week the site was visited by the the Area manager and Dorector who complained about the proximity of works to the memorials. If the OPW highight any problems, the CWGC sort these out immediately and there are bi-annual visits by craftsmen based in NI who clean up the memorials themselves.

They accept that the area is not as good as it should be, but due to the massive amount of work being carried out in the cemetry at the moment, their hands are tied, however, when these are finished (Which may be some time) then their contractor will set about tidying up the area.

I just wanted to put the record straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

While I would like to see a United Ireland, I wouldn't want to make too many concessions to the northern unionists, if any at all - they are a snivelling snivelling bunch. If a united Ireland came about, the unionists would be pushing for all sorts of ways to dilute Irish culture. As a lobby group they would have huge power. The question of a united Ireland is the supreme pancake.

Thanks for that chessplayer & needless to say as an Irish Unionist myself I shall take that on the jaw, you would have had no problem whsatsoever recognising me yesterday walking up Grafton Street on the way to St Patricks Cathedral ...............

Now how about you replying to my previous Post#258

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

They accept that the area is not as good as it should be, but due to the massive amount of work being carried out in the cemetry at the moment, their hands are tied, however, when these are finished (Which may be some time) then their contractor will set about tidying up the area.

I just wanted to put the record straight.

Sorry Fratton Fred, I dont understand this, the revamp of the memorial is being carried out at the moment by the general graveyard contractors, I saw it myself. So when they have all the work done the CWGC will come out and approve it?? tidy up?

Pop down there next sunday if you can, go on a tour and see for yourself, it is currently being worked on. I dont know what value has been placed on tidying up, but the stonework etc will be cleaned by Glasnevin, they have started.

I share your views on keeping the record straight BTW .

Stoner wrote: »
    Sorry Fratton Fred, I dont understand this, the revamp of the memorial is being carried out at the moment by the general graveyard contractors, I saw it myself. So when they have all the work done the CWGC will come out and approve it?? tidy up?

Pop down there next sunday if you can, go on a tour and see for yourself, it is currently being worked on. I dont know what value has been placed on tidying up, but the stonework etc will be cleaned by Glasnevin, they have started.

I share your views on keeping the record straight BTW .

I will take a look, I know the CWGC very well and they are meticulous in looking after all ther memorials. If you ever visit a cemetry then you will see what lengths they go to to make sure they are kept up to standard.

You obviously saw what you saw and if that is different to what the CWGC think is going on then I will make it my mission to put them right.

ArthurF wrote: »
    Thanks for that chessplayer & needless to say as an Irish Unionist myself I shall take that on the jaw, you would have had no problem whsatsoever recognising me yesterday walking up Grafton Street on the way to St Patricks Cathedral ...............

Now how about you replying to my previous Post#258

I noted that up the north Martin McGuinness was wearning a poppy. He too is an Irish unionist, for the union between north and south.

Was out about about in the city yesterday and didn't see a single poppy-head. So unless they were scurrying down back alleys like sewer rats, I certainly didn't see any. Mind you, I wasn't on Patrick Street - I completely forgot about this whole poppy debacle.

Although, the more I argue against the poppy, the more I think to myself that it would be better to just ignore it. Can't see it ever becoming a widespread practice.

ArthurF - I meant outlandish in that many of your comments are just "trolling" as they call it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I noted that up the north Martin McGuinness was wearning a poppy. He too is an Irish unionist, for the union between north and south.

Was out about about in the city yesterday and didn't see a single poppy-head. So unless they were scurrying down back alleys like sewer rats, I certainly didn't see any. Mind you, I wasn't on Patrick Street - I completely forgot about this whole poppy debacle.

Although, the more I argue against the poppy, the more I think to myself that it would be better to just ignore it. Can't see it ever becoming a widespread practice.

ArthurF - I meant outlandish in that many of your comments are just "trolling" as they call it here.

You are trolling yourself.
    Stop it now.
    Thanks.

Advertisement