Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

I had gotten the tips from a friend so maybe the fault lies with her re liability for animals!

Planxty, today was my first FE1 ever and I thought it was a lot harder than the tort paper I sat in DIT for my law degree. I suppose it depends on the college and the paper the law society set.

I'm hoping equity is a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mrosamabinladen

there was privacy and passing off in that defamation q, not so straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Freckleina

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows what question 2 was all about? I didn't do it because was just too confused on what he was was asking. Was it just basic Nuisance? Someone mentioned after the exam that it was Rylands but I don't see how that could be.....
    Also didn't see the Passing Off element in the Defamation question - not that I had any time to answer it properly anyway!
    This is my second time repeating Tort and I've learned my lesson that no matter how you think you did, you just can't tell with Tort. I think he marks the paper sooo much harder than the others.

crap i thought that was about occupiers liability

i actually didn't do that defamation q so don't go by me, i shouldn't be commenting i just heard a friend talk about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jck07

hey this&That - totally agree with you, i thought tort was a horrible paper, i do believed it is marked pretty hard and as i only did 4 questions, not a hope of passing either

even having time to reflect on the paper i still have no clue what question 2 was about - didnt cover liability to animals at all or fatal injuries - so was pretty screwed!!!

did anyone else think it was a bad paper - or am i just looking to blame someone for the fact that i didn't cover enough - although going in i thought i was pretty prepared :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 this&That

Hey jck07, thank God I am not the only one, I am disappointed at the fact that I had the topics covered but still could not do it. I finished 5 questions but they were rubbish bar maybe nervous shock and the trespass one. My problem was with the exact information you had to know. He asked a question on aggrevated damages there is not much you could write on that, also on survival of actions, in any book there is at most two pages on it.
    Wish I had left the exam after 45 mins, my time would have been better spent studying for Const. No Blackhall for me this year.
    Maybe they will mark it easier if the overall quality of scripts is down.

i did most topics too but still had trouble? was q2 not on occupiers liab, o dear god someone say it was

this&That wrote: »
    I finished 5 questions but they were rubbish bar maybe nervous shock and the trespass one.

Which question was tresspass?! The nervous shock one was the ony one I could really do and then I was like why bother, at the very most I'll get about 12 - 15% in the results! So I just left it and met a friend for an early lunch instead! Not looking forward to equity on Monday but at least the past papers seems pretty straight forward questions.

The trespass q was the one where the security working as agent for the factory could be accused of assault, false imprisonment etc, please tell me it was!!! now i am doubting everything I wrote.

• Advertisement

hey this&That - at least you attempted 5 questions, that a good start anyway - and lets hope they will be a bit more lenient this time around in the marking!!! I only wrote all i knew about aggrevated and exemplary damages - didn't really 'critically analyse' so probably not worth too much, but you are right, there was not too much covered there during the course, just a few pages.

I also 'attempted' the trespass to person question, the employee and security etc - concluded he had been assaulted, battered and false imprisoned - so think were were right there - hopefully.

Have you done EU yet, i had planned on not doing it as my fourth, was just going to concentrate on tort, property and contract as it's my first time doing them, but after tort i may try EU - im finding it so difficult to understand - do you know if its ok to refer to UK texts re this subject, i know they dont normally recommend it for the other subjects for obvious reasons, but is EU any different do you know? i have a UK answers and questions book which i am trying to refer to as the manual is so complicated, i think it is anyway, wish there was a nutshells type of book!! best of luck with constitutional - what other subjects do you have left?

Hey, J have EU and const left to do, was hoping to get them this time, EU is not so bad once you get past the first bit, practive questions on the free movement of goods, people etc, do q 1 on the institutions, only a certain amount of questions can come up on them, I have a feeling this time it will be on the seperation of powers. it can be cut down a bit, I am leaving out competition all together, it is too big and only one question comes up on it.
    I dont see why you cannnot use the UK books as it is EU after all. State aids this time also....

thanks for the hints this&That, best of luck with your last 2, you are nearly there so keep up the good work

Amigone wrote: »
    Equity Tips from Griffith (General):

1) Injunctions - Anton Pillar (although looking at papers through the last four years Mareva and/or Quia Timet is very popular so I think a thorough knowledge of injunctions generally is favourable)

2) Specific Performance - Contracts for Supervision and Defences to SP

3) The Three Certainties

4) Satisfaction

5) Quiestclose (Resulting Trusts)

6) Tracing as an equitable remedy

7) Property rights of cohabitees - Usually effect of indirect contributions.
    *n.b to consider not only the resulting trust BUT also the 'new model constructive' trust as per Denning LJ. Also nb to compare this development to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and England in their adoption or lack thereof.

8) Cy-Pres/Charitable/Purpose - could possibly come up somewhere on the paper perhaps as part of the 3-part question

9) Promissory Estoppel - Very heavily tipped!

That's all I can remember, hope it's of some use!

If it's any consolation, I'm dead too!

Proprietory Estoppel is tipped not promissory. Also Trusteeship is one to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

Hope exams are going well for everyone...

Does anyone have any tips for constitutional by any chance?

I would really appreciate any help at all at this stage! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Derek_N

Hints for Company would also be greatly appreciated... Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Amigonia

myxi wrote: »
    Proprietory Estoppel is tipped not promissory. Also Trusteeship is one to know.

Oh God i'm so sorry I meant to say Proprietary estoppel!!! So sorry.....

Just going to bed now and I'm pretty sure i know nothing and will be lucky if can answer one question tomorrow to a satisfactory standard. how are they here already... where did the time go!

Good luck to anyone sitting equity tomorrow!

Equity wasn't too bad, I did 4 questions but I don't think I got the 50%. I'm sure though, this is my first time so I've nothing to go on re marking. Will have to wait and see. EU next, rotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lordbrett

Hi, does anyone have the Griffith College tips for Constitutional Law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Pleased with Equity, think I did enough. Looking forward to getting EU done now, my favourite:) How did everyone else go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Amigone wrote: »
    Why thank you for your learned and most valued opinion johnnysmurfman. I can only assume from your inane offering to the forum that you 1) have no clue what you're talking about and 2) have no clue what you're talking about.

Is it beyond your appetency to know that in having an apprenticeship you, by virtue of it, actually have a job?!

I meant to go on and get a job as a solicitor after your training period expires. A lot of firms won't keep you on afterwards. That's what I meant by getting a job.

Hi does anyone have the constitutional tips from Griffith, it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chicklin

Hi guys, only 3 more left to sit and then back to the freedom that I once enjoyed before these exams took over my life!Just wondering if anyone has any tips for company on Wednesday?I know I'm leaving it a bit late but sure I'm a bit of a last minute crammer!

Also contract and property would be great, but they are next week's worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Jackthe

this&That wrote: »
    Hi does anyone have the constitutional tips from Griffith, it would be much appreciated.

I don't have any tips but the examiner wrote an article on privacy a while ago and it related to the circuit court case where a neighbour put in CCTV in a house across the road to catch his next door neighbour damaging his hedge. similar facts came up in a question last year (april I think).

How did equity go for everyone, I nearly s**t myself when DMC came up, a full question, I had just gone over keatings article before the exam. A pity about no Quia timet or Mareva, but I was able to do the Mandatory injunction all the same having covered both. the estoppel was a bit short, overall quite good, Philip's tips were fairly on the mark, besides Quia and Mareva but they should have come up, still the mandatory was covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 redtaz

hi guys would anyone have griffith college tips for constitutional or criminal it would really help alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

to be fair with regards to criminal you kind of have to cover everything. the examiner has warned students in a lot of his reports not to cut too much out as he can pick an area from any part of the course. looking at his papers this seems to be true as he mixes a lot of areas together etc.
    did constitutional last sitting so cant help you there but i'm sure someone here can!

myxi wrote: »
    That's brilliant thank you!

For anyone who's doing property I should have the Independent college tips next week.

hey myxi - just wondered if you managed to pick up the Independent college tips? Trying to get this one narrowed down - seems impossible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ob1kanobee

Was there passing off in defamation question, vicarious liability of employers in the trespass question, and intentional infliction of emotional injury (trespass )in the nervous shock question, i.e. of the radio station???

Yes there was vic liability in the nuisance question, I think the defamation q did not contain passing off eventhough one could be fooled into it. The radio station one was just nervous shock I would say. i guess we will not know 'till the results come out and fo definite when the examiners report does.

• Advertisement

jck07 wrote: »
    hey myxi - just wondered if you managed to pick up the Independent college tips? Trying to get this one narrowed down - seems impossible!!!

Should have them tomorrow or Thursday and I'll post them then!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement