Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Planxty

Jackthe wrote: »
    Well were you able to find it? What did you think?

Yep i found it thanks! Yeah it was quite interesting.. I'm definitely gonna be more conscious of my sleeping! My previous strategy was pull an all nighter studying d night before and regurgitate it onto a page (which has worked surpringly well so far!) but now i'm gonna go with the study while refreshed method

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Jackthe

Well done. in regards to the questions when you finish a topic, Mistake in contract for example, just look at a question and write out a skeleton answer without looking at the book, it should take five minutes. Then check the book for what you left out and you will remember what you left out a lot quicker. everything is dependent on time and in the exam in planning your answer, you will get marks for a skeleton plan, especially if you do not finish the answer, the examiner will see where you were going and mark accordingly. try to work on all your subjects two a day and alternate them, remember you need three, if you have two days between exams concentrate on the next exam alone for those two days. I have equity and contract coming up so I'll be doing 11 days of equity and 11 days of contract. try and give equal time to each subject, its the same with questions in the exam, manage your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gerryok1

Hi, repeating EU this time round, does anyone have any tips from Griffith etc, would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Hi Gerry

Here's the Griffith tips for EU:

1. Democratic Deficit - Seperation of Powers
    2. Fundamental Rights - cover supremacy as well if doing FR.
    3. Direct Effect - member state liability for breaches
    4. Art 234
    5. Art 81
    6. State Aids
    7. Fundamental freedoms - said you'd need to cover all if planning on doing this question.

Hope this helps a little bit!

Would anyone have tips on equity?! I'm so dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mrosamabinladen

does anyone have the griffith tips for tort on friday and also criminal? thanks

• Advertisement

Tort tips from Griffith:

1. Duty of care, causation, damage & remoteness - possible essay question
    2. Professional negligence
    3. Nervous shock - favourite of examiner
    4. Defamation
    5. Trespass
    6. Defective Products Act 1991
    7. Builders liability - economic loss
    8. Fatal injuries and concurrent wrongdoers, damages and remedies

Import Q to look at is Q8 - April 2006.

The tips were all pretty general so I'm accepting no liability if they don't come up on Friday!! Good luck.

If anyone could post what Q8 April 06 up on the board I'd be really grateful, a 'friend' has gone awol with my past papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone have the Griffith tips for Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Equity Tips from Griffith (General):

1) Injunctions - Anton Pillar (although looking at papers through the last four years Mareva and/or Quia Timet is very popular so I think a thorough knowledge of injunctions generally is favourable)

2) Specific Performance - Contracts for Supervision and Defences to SP

3) The Three Certainties

4) Satisfaction

5) Quiestclose (Resulting Trusts)

6) Tracing as an equitable remedy

7) Property rights of cohabitees - Usually effect of indirect contributions.
    *n.b to consider not only the resulting trust BUT also the 'new model constructive' trust as per Denning LJ. Also nb to compare this development to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and England in their adoption or lack thereof.

8) Cy-Pres/Charitable/Purpose - could possibly come up somewhere on the paper perhaps as part of the 3-part question

9) Promissory Estoppel - Very heavily tipped!

That's all I can remember, hope it's of some use!

If it's any consolation, I'm dead too!

That's brilliant thank you!

For anyone who's doing property I should have the Independent college tips next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Many thanks:)

• Advertisement

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gerryok1

Hey thanks for the tips on EU, it narrows it down at least.. thanks again and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Conconiconcon

Anyone got d Griffith or independent colleges tips for Criminal? would be a big help, cheers

Also if you have passed 5 or more of the exams you must sit all remaining three or less together in one sitting and i think you might have to pass em all in one sitting too

That's absolutely ridiculous conconiconcon. Once you pass three of the exams you can sit the remaining exams in anyway you like aslong as you sit all remaining exams within a 5 year period.

Sorry saw this in the Fe1 rules and just realised it said 'for the first time'

6. A candidate sitting the Examination for the first time who is entitled to exemptions from five or more of the
    examinations must sit all the remaining examinations together at one sitting of the Examination.
    Such a candidate who is sitting three examinations must achieve a pass mark in at least two of the
    examinations in order to be deemed to have passed those examinations.

Hmmm.... What's the best way to travel to the RDS Monday - I'm between minds to go by train or car. I'm thinking train will just stress me out whereas if i go by car i've to spend....oh about two and a half hours for what should be a forty minute journey.

Anyone any tips?! I'm going from the Maynooth/N4 area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gilly21

It is both my first time using this thread and my first time doing the FE-1's. If anyone has any tips for;

1) Company
    2) Criminal
    3) Property

I would be very grateful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Jackthe

Amigone wrote: »
    Hmmm.... What's the best way to travel to the RDS Monday - I'm between minds to go by train or car. I'm thinking train will just stress me out whereas if i go by car i've to spend....oh about two and a half hours for what should be a forty minute journey.

Anyone any tips?! I'm going from the Maynooth/N4 area...

if you go by train you can study for an hour or so (early enough) which you'll lose in the car if your're driving, plus if you get held up in traffic the stress could put you off your game. I'm heading into town aroung 5.30 to avoid all the traffic. No train on the M3 yet, no motorway either, the f*****s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 this&That

Hi what did people think of Tort today? ThinkI will be repeating it next time, the questions were not that straightforward I thought... What does it take to get 50???????????????:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

They hold them in the RDS now? Wow. I remember when they were in Blackhall and then when they held them in the Rotunda Hospital but I never knew they were in the RDS. Speaks volumes about the amount of people that are sitting them, it must be impossible to get an apprentiship and even if you get one to go on to get a job.

Why thank you for your learned and most valued opinion johnnysmurfman. I can only assume from your inane offering to the forum that you 1) have no clue what you're talking about and 2) have no clue what you're talking about.

Is it beyond your appetency to know that in having an apprenticeship you, by virtue of it, actually have a job?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

There's no need to be so arrogant, s/he was just making a statement about the numbers of people sitting the exams.

I agree and a very true statement at that, proven by the fact that it is very difficult to get an apprenticeship.
    Feel after todays disaster it will be a long road, looking at the paper now it was not that bad I suppose, guess I had not put enough work in.. Guess it depends on the marking system.

i didn't like tort today either, did a lot of work for it in the lead up but just didn't like the questions. didn't even do the defamation question cos i misread it at the start in a panic and misinterpreted it as being a question on something else

I thought tort was horrible! I left after the 45mins, morto! I had done a good bit but I still hadn't covered half enough. I definately won't be following the Griffith tips for the next 3, not a lot of what they said to concentrate on came up.

What was with liability for animals, I nearly cried when I saw that as the first question!

Thank God, someone else feels the same, have four already and was hoping to get four this time, not a hope after that. I did an awful lot of work for that exam and it got me kno where, knew the topics but still not sure about what I was writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Planxty

myxi wrote: »
    What was with liability for animals, I nearly cried when I saw that as the first question!

Liability for animals?? What was the question? Can i ask how the FE1 exam question compare (difficulty wise) to Law Degree (hons) exam questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Turbodreams

myxi wrote: »
    I thought tort was horrible! I left after the 45mins, morto! I had done a good bit but I still hadn't covered half enough. I definately won't be following the Griffith tips for the next 3, not a lot of what they said to concentrate on came up.

well she got some tips right .she said nervous shock was a definate, also said defamation and she did mention liability for animals as a possibility! its a pity i didnt listen. some very specific questions though that would be hard to elaborate on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Turbodreams

Planxty wrote: »
    Can i ask how the FE1 exam question compare (difficulty wise) to Law Degree (hons) exam questions?

about the same in terms of difficulty in respect of understanding..BUT the fe1s are marked really hard, there is a higher pass rate(50%) and alot of material to cover in one exam!!!
    *edit* also forgot to say that 1 question on the fe1 exam can involve nearly the whole course, whereas during my law degree questions were usually in a specific area!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement