Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

yup i've been in griffith. would highly recommend it. i studied law in college but i dont think u will be at a huge disadvantage if you haven't. the lecturers are more than happy to help and the course is set up very well. good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fowler100

Don't know about Griffith anymore, from what I hear things are not what they used to be there. Val Corbett and Philip Burke have left for Independent College and stole all the good lecturers including Stephen Dowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Does Hodges Figgis sell copies of the legislation we are allowed bring into the exam with us or where exactly can it be got?! Also, how much?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Amigone wrote: »
    Does Hodges Figgis sell copies of the legislation we are allowed bring into the exam with us or where exactly can it be got?! Also, how much?

Thanks!
    You can get the various Acts in the Government Publications office, which is on Molesworth St, twixt Dawson and Kildare St.

For EU, I think you're allowed bring in Blackstone's.

blackstones is only 22euro in the campus bookshop in UCD. i think its more expensive in town so if you are near belfield buy it there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mrosamabinladen

Can anyone tell me what are the essential chapters for EU, Tort and Criminal?! one what is fairly safe to leave out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jck07

hi guys - sitting property, tort, eu and contract in mar/apr - anyone got any tips on what can be left out?? i haven't started real hardcore study yet - hope i haven't left it too late??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 redtaz

ok i need help firstly i'm stressed outta my head
    i've left constitutional cramming really late any hints-tips on what i can leave out or have to include
    and to appear stupid i'm doing criminal and can someone explain the difference between theft robbery and burglary..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

hi redtaz i sent you a pm there now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lollipop5

:eek: hi doin contract company criminal and tort in almost 3wks time! crazy have left it so late. startin to panic now. feel ok bout contract have good grasp jst need to learn it all off.

havent really touched company jst goin to do the main topics pretty much on days in between the tort exam and the company exam and hope for the best. company my "fourth" subject so while id like to pass it i cud live without passin it.

i have heard sme people dnt even sit their "fourth" subject. does law soc not look down in this? would anybody recommend jst sittn the 3?

tort and criminal jst seem so massive at the moment have dne some wrk not a whole lot on them but thn i open past papers nd dnt know how to ans the q's. i know what area etc they askin bout but wouldnt have enough knowledge on the topic to ans full q. they both such vast topics. anythn could come up in tort and they q's likely to b mixed. is it possible to leave out anything in these topics for march? what are other ppl doin?

also anybody know a good library? i dont really know of any and need a change of scenery from home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 OleLegend

I see Griffith had 5 law society FE 1 prize winners in the last set of exams

[SNIPPED]

Ciaran patton had two winners for Criminal law - he must be good?

Ciaran is brilliant! He is so funny too which makes it easier to listen to him! I'm finishing off my criminal notes today and going through some of the cases I can actually hear what he said in my head (maybe thats just the voices that are always there tho!!). basically, he makes cases memorable through the way he teaches and I think that makes the subject easier to get through!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gerryok1

Does anyone know what the story is with the Irish exam, was the bill passed yesterday..

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Really, was it? Sure about that? Can you send a link to it please? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

gerryok1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with the Irish exam, was the bill passed yesterday..

According to this the bill is only in the final stages in the Dail. Not yet passed. Seems to be making good progress though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gerryok1

A friend called me on Thurs. saying she saw something about it in the paper, will look into it and let you know.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I have found out in the meantime, it is at stage 4 from 5. So you jumped the gun slightly ;) May well have been some duff journalism (heaven forbid).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mrosamabinladen

does anyone have any tips for EU law this time round??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Jackthe

the Microsoft ruling was big news last year around the time of the last sitting, dominant position abuse might be too juicy for the examiner to ignore under competition.

OK, so two weeks today the first exam will be over - Equity.

I'm completely panicking! There just isn't enough time and I've soo much to do! Equity, criminal, contract and property. So dead for contract.

Does anyone have any good study tips?! I'm revising at the moment but it just feels like nothings actually going in.

death by FE1!!

• Advertisement

try not to panic, i know everyone says it but it is actually counter productive. i had a bad bout of it on friday and just took the day and night off and went out for a few drinks. does wonders! i know you prob dont want to take huge breaks but even a walk helps, clears your mind etc, cliched i know!!

as for study, maybe practice some questions that are likely to come up? might help to stick the stuff in your mind if you practice applying your knowledge to actual exam questions?

good luck!

Just a quick line, I agree with font 22, just practice your questions over and over again. To begin with just do out a skeleton answer, and then pad it out wtihout notes if you can. Keep doing this and it will begin to stick and once you finish a question without reference it will be a great boost.
    taking breaks and exercise are vital you have to recharge or in three weeks you'll be burnt out. A good nights sleep really makes it easier, you have to put yourself in the best position possible and being ratty and irritable from lack of sleep will not help.
    Last point, its an exam. I was in hospital following a car crash (not my fault, and liability conceded) for my first Fe1, and doped on painkillers for the remaing three. there are some things you cannot help and you do get to resit them, its a pain in the nat king cole that there are no repeats but its just a year.
    Don't let the f*****s get you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Planxty

Hey everybody, I'm first year law and I have been reading this thread and I am trying to get my head around the order in which you can sit the FE1 exams.

Can somebody please clarify for me the combinations in which the exams can be taken (e.g 4 and 4 etc). What happens if you pass two and fail two? Can u keep the two you passed etc??

I'd be grateful for a clear explanation of this!

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

You must sit 4 in your first attempt. They can be any 4/8 but you must pass 3 to keep any. You can then sit the remainder in any way you wish. The Law Society website has a more detailed outline in the education pages.

just a post script to my post earlier today, in relation to sleep and studying, check out the podcast to 60 minutes this week or go directly to the CBS website (news section) it is very interesting as regards to the danger of not getting enough sleep while studying and when the best time to study is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Planxty

Jackthe wrote: »
    just a post script to my post earlier today, in relation to sleep and studying, check out the podcast to 60 minutes this week or go directly to the CBS website (news section) it is very interesting as regards to the danger of not getting enough sleep while studying and when the best time to study is.

I cant find the article.. Could u please link?

you will get the link on Itunes under podcasts news 60 minutes or go to the CBS website scroll down to the bottom of the page to recomended links and hit news then on the top of the page are a number of different programs, 60 mins being one, hit that and the video for 'science of sleep' should be in the video menu.

its actually a news program not an article.
    good luck

Well were you able to find it? What did you think?

• Advertisement

Thanks Font22 and Jackthe...... Been better the last two days, been just cramming so much equity to try get teh coruse finished so i can revise next week.

As for doing loads and loads and sample answers I'm afraid i probably won't have the luxury of time to do that because I've pretty much let contract by the wasteside at this stage!

I can't believe only a week and a half left - where does the time go! But you're right Jackthe, they are only exams and even if i do fail this four (which is in all liklihood!) at least next time round I'll know what's required and the methods to do better.

On a good note - I've secured an apprenticeship! Yay! Starting in August, well starting working for them with a view to starting traineeship when get all 8 exams under the belt. Can't believe my luck - least one less worry eh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement