Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling DVDs Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Some pre WWE DVDs still go for good money on ebay.

A lot of people want the original releases for their collection and I think lot of people have realised at this stage that the tagged classics are just straight VHS to DVD conversions and some of them are awful in terms of video quality.

I don't go near the tagged classics since I bought one (Cant remember the PPVS) and it was like the events had been taped of sky sports years ago the video quality was that bad.
    Yes some of the tagged classics are poor, especially bizarrely enough the latter releases where Silvervision authored their own discs and they have far too much compression, the image is dark and the menus awful. I think there were about 20 or so WWF PPVs released on DVD. While the originals may be the superior product, I think the tagged classics done a fine job considering you can occassionaly pick them up for under a tener and where you'd be paying that much on geebay I think it's a no brainer.

The tagged classics have been great since they brought down the insane auction prices.

I recently got Backlash/Judgement Day 2001 for I think about €7 online. There's no chance I'd get the two of them original DVDs for that much so I went for it.

There are some things that are unlikely to see the light of an official WWE DVD release such as the complete original In Your Houses. while you may (correctly) argue that nearly everything worthy of being released has been nearly all put out on compilations for completists sake the tagged classics are a nice addition. Many of the earlier IYHs were much shorter and had/have no extras so thus less compression, fewer artifacts/pixelation etc.

There's also King of the Ring 93 - all three of Bret's matches should've been put out on compilations but weren't. The video quality of this is pretty good. I picked it up when it was on special for about the same €7 give or take. If you were to try and get a VHS copy to make your own DVDr copy it'd be a nightmare - tapes are expensive to post, UK ebayers don't like dealing with Ireland, macrovision protection, quality of tape etc.

Silvervision have just announced the other week that Shawn Michaels Hits from the Heartbreak Kid will be released. Yes, these are essentially VHS dubs or whatever super-VHS format they have, and yes that in itself is an utter rip off since a £15 pricetag for something that probably costs about £1 to manufacture is breathtaking... but nonetheless that Michaels tape has some great stuff on it not least the classic tag match with him and Diesel against Razor/Kid.

The tagged classics have allowed people watch those WrestleManias you mentioned with the awful blurring of the Anthology sets. While it's a shame WWE won't just give Silvervision the masters, the TCs was the best solution to a crap situation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I have a lot of TCs. Are there any taken from the masters? I know the TCs are copies of copies but they're way better than VHS and no editing is a huge factor for me.

Do the WWE Anthology DVDs have a superior picture? Or is that all negated because of the awful muting/blurring/not paying for songs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 WHYTEHD

"WWE has asked their European DVD distributor SilverVision to pull a number of DVDs from their website, including The Hart Family Anthology, The True Story of Wrestlemania, WWE's Greatest Stars of 90s, Best of Raw Season 1 & 2, WWE Raw 15th Anniversary and more. On their Facebook, Silvervision stated, "It has been removed at the request of WWE - we'll have more news on this next week." http://www.wwedvdnews.com/wwe-dvds-owen-martha-hart-lawsuit/12817/

anyone know whats going on??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Its something to do with Owen Hart I heard, any dvd with him in it will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

The True Story of Wrestlemania was only released a few weeks ago, seems a bit odd. I don't remember anything about Owen Hart in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Something unusual is happening on Silvervision UK’s website.

It appears both The True Story of WrestleMania DVD/Blu-ray and Hart & Soul: The Hart Family Anthology DVD have been taken down. Shaun Blackford spotted this today.

WrestleMania Story was only released to the UK last week. When asked on Facebook why it was taken down, Silvervision responded that WWE requested them to. No other details were given and they plan to update on it next week.

Immediately what comes to mind is last year’s lawsuit filed by Martha Hart, widow of Owen Hart, against the WWE for their continued usage of Owen’s name and likeness (read more). That was seemingly all sparked off by the release of the Hart & Soul DVD.

This is purely speculation at the moment, since Owen was shown minimally in WrestleMania Story and there were none of his matches included. He was heavily featured in Hart & Soul however.

The two DVDs remain listed on WWEShop for North America. The only change we can see is they are gone from Silvervision, who are the official distributor of WWE DVDs in Europe. Whatever the reasons turn out to be we’ll let you know as soon as we hear.

UPDATE: Raw “The Beginning” DVD also gone from Silvervision’s site, which had Owen Hart matches included and was released shortly after the lawsuit was filed.
    http://www.wwedvdnews.com/wwe-dvds-owen-martha-hart-lawsuit/12817/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Is the Hart & soul one worth picking up if it is still available,does it cover the stampede era.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I have a lot of TCs. Are there any taken from the masters? I know the TCs are copies of copies but they're way better than VHS and no editing is a huge factor for me.

Do the WWE Anthology DVDs have a superior picture? Or is that all negated because of the awful muting/blurring/not paying for songs?

It depends on what we're defining as a "master". When Silvervision were releasing VHS tapes WWF would've shipped them some type of master on a super-VHS type of videotape. This would have been used to make dubs or "copies" onto VHS which they would then be selling.

Thus the VHS you'd buy wasn't a first generation. In general the quality was actually alright compared to some terrible VHS I have seen. But quality was of course limited by the format - though it's worth noting that you'll find the sound on VHS tapes much louder than on DVD, DVDs are compressed.

There were some WWF DVDs Silvervision released and I believe they were authored by WWF's home video department and Silvervision would have just had these "pressed" ie. make copies of DVDs with all manner of professional equipment that doesn't burn DVDs like you might know but they are pressed.

Anyway, rather than Silvervision merely re-pressing these DVDs they took the "master" tape used for the VHS releases to make the tagged classic DVDs and put together their own terrible manky looking menus.

Quality varies and compression is a factor - the longer the run time on a DVD the higher the compression, the lesser run time will have less compression thus a slightly better picture. Though of course it all depends on the condition of the mastertape used - the WrestleMania 2000 mastertape deteriorated and thus the tagged classic DVD is in shocking condition.

Yes, the Anthology DVDs have a superior picture versus the tagged classics - that is, WrestleMania, Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, Survivor Series.

The anthologies all suffering blurring from Royal Rumble 98/WrestleMania XIV/SummerSlam 98/Survivor Series 98 through to WrestleMania X8.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

Why haven't the WWE ever released the In Your House series on DVD? I have some of them on VHS, but it would be nice to fill my collection up.

• Advertisement

lynnsback wrote: »
    Why haven't the WWE ever released the In Your House series on DVD? I have some of them on VHS, but it would be nice to fill my collection up.

if ur from europe or canada, Silvervision have pretty much all of the IYH's available as Tagged Classics. At least the first 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

if ur from europe or canada, Silvervision have pretty much all of the IYH's available as Tagged Classics. At least the first 15.

True. Have them all on Tagged classics. Have a few of the videos back in the parents house in Glasgow.

I am just after ordering Hart and Soul(£10.99) and best of Raw vol 1 and 2 (£7.99) from Silvervision this morning. No problems.
    Ordered the year in review 93 and 94 too. Looks decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Wrestling Road Diaries was feckin awesome,brilliant insight into the life of independent wrestlers and really funny too,Danielson,Sal and Colt are really likeable down to earth guys.It's only 20 odd euro or so and that includes a 2 hour bonus disc,Colt might even throw in a free autograph!

Region free too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Wrestling Road Diaries was feckin awesome,brilliant insight into the life of independent wrestlers and really funny too,Danielson,Sal and Colt are really likeable down to earth guys.It's only 20 odd euro or so and that includes a 2 hour bonus disc,Colt might even throw in a free autograph!

Region free too!

I ordered this last week. Out of curiosity, How long did it take for your copy to arrive?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Took around a week or so,was a bank holiday inbetween though so your's might be a bit quicker!

Took around a week or so,was a bank holiday inbetween though so your's might be a bit quicker!

Nice one thanks. Cant wait to see it!

lynnsback wrote: »

Most of the biggest matches have been released on various compilation DVDs. There are some glaring exceptions that is a shame for people who don't want to/can't get Tagged Classics. The Final Four from In Your House 13 springs to mind. Taka Michinoku vs Great Saske from In Your House 16 Canadian Stampede.

I suppose they could do an anthology but hard to say how big a seller it'd be. Completists would go nuts of course but it's more than just completists that would have bought the previous anthologies.

davrho wrote: »
    True. Have them all on Tagged classics. Have a few of the videos back in the parents house in Glasgow.

I am just after ordering Hart and Soul(£10.99) and best of Raw vol 1 and 2 (£7.99) from Silvervision this morning. No problems.
    Ordered the year in review 93 and 94 too. Looks decent enough

I wouldn't have bought that if I were you. Terrible picture quality. It's all jittery and jumpy.

Got my copy of wrestling road diaries. Put it in to just have a quick look as i was gonna save it for the weekend and couldnt turn it off. Watched the full 2 hrs and 40 mins. Its an awesome dvd and recommended for anyone who claims to love wrestling.

Colt, bryan and sal all come across as real down to earth guys who love what they do and it truly does give an insight into the life of an indie wrestler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Got my copy of wrestling road diaries. Put it in to just have a quick look as i was gonna save it for the weekend and couldnt turn it off. Watched the full 2 hrs and 40 mins. Its an awesome dvd and recommended for anyone who claims to love wrestling.

Colt, bryan and sal all come across as real down to earth guys who love what they do and it truly does give an insight into the life of an indie wrestler.

Yeah you are better off not watching it full stop as you will want to watch it in one sitting.

I hope you got the extra disc.

drayme wrote: »
    Yeah you are better off not watching it full stop as you will want to watch it in one sitting.

I hope you got the extra disc.

Yeah i did. It looks good, i just watched the roundtable with colt, pretty interesting. Will save the rest for the weekend, itll give me something to look forward to.

• Advertisement

Yeah i did. It looks good, i just watched the roundtable with colt, pretty interesting. Will save the rest for the weekend, itll give me something to look forward to.

Deadly serious here it is something to savour. Watch out for the wrong number scene and the Van Hammer/Briscoe rib on the extra disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

sounds good ordered my one a couple of days ago so should have it next week, looking forward to watching it now cheers for the info.

recommended for anyone who claims to love wrestling.

LOL :rolleyes:

LOL :rolleyes:

Hmm ok, thanks for quoting me and then adding absolutely nothing to the discussion.
    Jesus, thats like the type of post you'd be likely find on a justin bieber board by a bunch of 13 year old girls, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Didn't know you like Justin Bieber, Jay. What's ur favourite song?

Welcome to boards.ie, Andy! Oh, that quote "someone who claims to love ______ " is a pet hate phrase of mine. "lol :rolleyes:" is the absolute least offensive thing I could retort. Another one is when commentators say "to the _____ area" e.g. "to the chest area" - it's the bloody chest! ha ha ha!

Gonna give that Colt/Danielson DVD a watch a bit later. :)

I was doing really well not knowing who Justin Beiber was for ages until ScrewAttack showed a clip of someone hurling a bottle of water at him. now i know what he looks like etc :(

Also got the Triumph and Tragedy of WCCW on the backlog. Woot! Anyone seen it? I found the AWA DVD to be pretty interesting so looking forward to it. I expect the same WWE glossing over harsh facts but sure tis always the way.

Welcome to boards.ie, Andy! Oh, that quote "someone who claims to love ______ " is a pet hate phrase of mine. "lol :rolleyes:" is the absolute least offensive thing I could retort.

It was obviously hyperbole. But largely he is right.

@jaykhunter its all good. I threw in that comment becausr i know people who claimto love wrestling and all that but when i recommend something like the road diaries dvd or a roh dvd they refuse to take any notice simply because they dont know anyone or anything about it. It really irks me because 2 of my biggest loves are wrestling and music so im all for people suggesting new things to me cos hey i might actually find something new i like. I guess i just took your comment the wrong way.

Cool, we're all amigos on boards :)
    ha ha ha i'll leave that next comment out :pac:

Yeah, suggesting indy shows/DVDs is like suggesting subtitled films. People just don't wanna hear it!! (:()

Anyone seen King of Trios? Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Anyone seen King of Trios? Any good?

Saw Night One and half of Night Two and it's been fantastic so far and supposedly only gets better.

Advertisement