Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

Thanks, hope I can manage the setup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

dublin34 wrote: »
    Hey I just ordered magnet broadband, can you let me know what model of router/modem they use? I dont want to pay the rental if I can buy one cheaply. Is it difficult to set up?

From when i had magnet the modem is fine when connected by cable but the the wireless is rubbish. it becomes terrible just a roon away from the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Hi guys, Im having problems with UPC broadband and am just wondering whether any Magnet users have experience with getting two Open NATs at the same time for the Xbox 360?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 2xensemble

Just setup with magnet there today,
    simply broadband, only getting speeds of max 6.8mb down and 576 up.... I was in contact with tech support to assess the problem. They have only now informed me (not their fault tbh) that it would not be possible to get faster speeds as a result of distance from the exchange... my 7 day cancellation has passed and needless to say I am more than a tad pissed off at having to pay €45 for 7mb or less... Not exaggerating, I can get almost the same from my dongle... *&^%s!!! anybody from Magnet like to have a chat about this, or at least put me in the direction of who I should be talking to about the matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

2xensemble wrote: »
    simply broadband, only getting speeds of max 6.8mb up and 576 down.... I was in contact with tech support to assess the problem. They have only now informed me (not their fault tbh) that it would not be possible to get faster speeds as a result of distance from the exchange... my 7 day cancellation has passed and needless to say I am more than a tad pissed off at having to pay €45 for 7mb or less... Not exaggerating, I can get almost the same from my dongle... *&^%s!!! anybody from Magnet like to have a chat about this, or at least put me in the direction of who I should be talking to about the matter...
    If u only got connected today, how could your 7day trial be over.... I'd go along that route also cancel ur direct debit. If ur not happy... It's a shame cos usually magnets speeds are great

• Advertisement

If u only got connected today, how could your 7day trial be over.... I'd go along that route also cancel ur direct debit. If ur not happy... It's a shame cos usually magnets speeds are great
    well apparently(& admittedly I could be wrong) but what I took from the wording of the recorded "oral contract" I had 7 days to cancel from the time of that phone call... which was over 7 days ago...
    I have used Magnet last year while I was working in Dublin and honestly couldn't say a bad word about them during that time, but paying that amount of money for under 7MB down! ... It's just taking the mick mate!

(PS. Are you receiving a gratuity from magnet or are you just having a random serious forum love in on the magnet page? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

Hey I just signed up to Magnet...not going well so far, been a week since first router arrived, didnt work, had second one sent, didnt work. To be fair its looking more like a line problem but I have NO idea when they are sending an engineer out and nobody phones me back. So am thinking of cancelling....am in Smithfield Market...anyone tell me what kind of speeds they are ACTUALLY getting from Magnet???

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RadioNowhere

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anybody knows what the speed is like in the Maynooth area?
    And can it connect to up to 5 laptops at the one time?
    Do you need to buy anything starting off?

Thanks

2xensemble wrote: »
    simply broadband, only getting speeds of max 6.8mb down and 576 up.... I was in contact with tech support to assess the problem. They have only now informed me (not their fault tbh) that it would not be possible to get faster speeds as a result of distance from the exchange... my 7 day cancellation has passed and needless to say I am more than a tad pissed off at having to pay €45 for 7mb or less... Not exaggerating, I can get almost the same from my dongle... *&^%s!!! anybody from Magnet like to have a chat about this, or at least put me in the direction of who I should be talking to about the matter...

What a S*** provider... in my area at least, ridiculously slow speeds and constantly dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hanghost

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about signing up with Magnet and so I did a quick search which brought me to this post. I got scared really fast after reading most of the comments here. But I realised that most people that would ever write anything here is because they are the people that had issues and that If your e-net service is good, you would never find your self on such a page.

Well, I would like to break that chain and say that I applied for an account with Magnet 2 days ago. Because the previous tenant used Magnet, they were able to connect me back in just 1 day.

I have the 100mbit package, and I am getting 95-96MBits with 4...YES 4 ping !!!. I tried testing the speed using different PCs, laptops, and sockets in the apartment and the speed and ping stay the same.

There might be problems with their other connection types, but their fibre optic offers the best e-net connection that I have ever had in Ireland.

I was an UPC user before with the 150Mbit package and I was getting 40-85mbits and 25-50 ping depending on UPCs mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Siouxky

Anyone in Cork city having Magnet trouble? Signed up a month ago to simply broadband and its been nothing but hassle. Our ping ranges from 40-1600 on an average day. Our average speed is 250kbps (I s**t you not) Have called tech support 4 times. The last two was promised to put us to level 2 support. First time apparently they 'forgot' to send it on, the second said they flagged as urgent and havent heard a peep for almost a week. Really despairing now! Should I just cut my losses or has anyone had a resolution?

Many are causing trouble with this but it is working fine and the speed id pretty fast...
    It takes about an hour to watch a 10 minute YouTube video. Housemate managed to stream a 40min tv show in just over 30 hours(she is persistent!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Siouxky wrote: »
    Anyone in Cork city having Magnet trouble? Signed up a month ago to simply broadband and its been nothing but hassle. Our ping ranges from 40-1600 on an average day. Our average speed is 250kbps (I s**t you not) Have called tech support 4 times. The last two was promised to put us to level 2 support. First time apparently they 'forgot' to send it on, the second said they flagged as urgent and havent heard a peep for almost a week. Really despairing now! Should I just cut my losses or has anyone had a resolution?
    Where about in cork? I am planning on signing up in a couple of weeks.

Decided to cancel. Only hope someone else does 6month contracts. I'm in the city FastFullBack, down by the Mercy

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

I have to laugh at you idiots complaining about your broadband speed being 6 Mbps and above. I hope you realize there's people on an almighty 0.2 Mbps and lower. Thanks eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

Do the Magnet people still read this thread? I'm having a problem for the last few months, where speeds will dip down to about 150kbs from the usual 400-500kbs. I would assume it's a ****ty line problem, but often, simply turning the box off for a minute and restarting it will fix it(albeit very temporarily). Safe to say it's a faulty box?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

Do the Magnet people still read this thread? I'm having a problem for the last few months, where speeds will dip down to about 150kbs from the usual 400-500kbs. I would assume it's a ****ty line problem, but often, simply turning the box off for a minute and restarting it will fix it(albeit very temporarily). Safe to say it's a faulty box?

Where are u based? Magnet heavily "throttle" when downloading heavily.
    HOWEVER, saying that i'm 100% positive that it's actually Eircom doing the throttling as they own all the infrastructure in my area and Magnet only lease the line.

What are you doing when the dipps occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

jay_k wrote: »
    Where are u based? Magnet heavily "throttle" when downloading heavily.
    HOWEVER, saying that i'm 100% positive that it's actually Eircom doing the throttling as they own all the infrastructure in my area and Magnet only lease the line.

What are you doing when the dipps occur?

B'town in Cork. I never download more than a couple of gigs a day, but it happens virtually every day, even when I haven't downloaded anything.

B'town in Cork. I never download more than a couple of gigs a day, but it happens virtually every day, even when I haven't downloaded anything.

Ya I know, I understand ur frustration. As far as I know, areas and estates can have the joint bandwith throttled as well as individual ip's.

I's very frustrating. I download a bit, but not as heavily as I used to, and I still notice the down speed spiking up and down, but's it not too bad, I live outside the city and demand would by light in my area i'd say. but it's dear, 55a month, for 20Mbdown(12-ish actual speed) and about 2Mb up(max)

for 50a month could get 100Mb down(max) and 8up.
    BUT THEY'RE NOT IN MY AREA!

why 55 a month?

i changed to magnet simply, no phone just net 41.50 a month i get around 22 down and 1.1 up..

Cork city boi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

jay_k wrote: »
    Ya I know, I understand ur frustration. As far as I know, areas and estates can have the joint bandwith throttled as well as individual ..........

for 50a month could get 100Mb down(max) and 8up.
    BUT THEY'RE NOT IN MY AREA!

where are you and who provides 100mb downand 8 up for €50pm? I just moved and am looking for BB only.
    I'm in an estate (ballincollig)
    Cheers.

i think he means chorus .. and its expensive .. and in an estate in ballincollig there will be a lot of contention

i hope to be proved wrong

why 55 a month?

i changed to magnet simply, no phone just net 41.50 a month i get around 22 down and 1.1 up..

Cork city boi

Ah some bull**** fees for renting their router. It's another long story lol too much hassle to argue with them over.

Also it's UPC who offer those speeds, but it depends on ur area

they havent charged me to rent there router... and i have a spare from my last house under the sink if they tried... :)

upc have huge contention ratios... im not knocking them but its something to take into consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

Anybody else around Cork (Opera House area) had problems with their Broadband Speed massively dropping?

It was fine until a couple of weeks ago, though now my 8.1mb can only connect at:

DownSpeed 2176 kbps
    UpSpeed 352 kbps

It fluctuates a little, but not more than 2-300 kbps on the downspeed. This makes doing anything online (even watching YouTube) extremely painful. Sent an email to their Tech Support team... No response. Last time I had to contact them it took 5 weeks. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I have to laugh at you idiots complaining about your broadband speed being 6 Mbps and above. I hope you realize there's people on an almighty 0.2 Mbps and lower. Thanks eircom!

For me pricing is a big issue i pay around the same for 6 meg with Eircom as someone else does for 50 meg with UPC!!

This is rip of Ireland at its finest. If you don't live in a certain area of the country, you get screwed over by the broadband providers. Its sickening, people have less money, but still have to pay more for everything! Honestly sick of this at this stage.

Ireland is only a "small" flipping country we should have 100 per cent full fibre coverage ( rural and urban) Holland has 100 per cent coverage.

You should have a better speed than 0.2mbps, but this just another example of how useless politicians are in this country. There running things, but they rather give billions to people who don't live in the country, than invest in our internet well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 r0nni3

Excuse me for barging in like this. I have a CPVA642 and I can't acces the web configuration. Tried 192.168.1.1 & etc...nothing. It feels like Magnet has custom formware on these things, is that correct ? If so, I really dislike the policy over there in Ireland. Iam not from Ireland, I am from an eastern Europe country where I pay about 8 euros for an 100 Mbit link. Both ways, up and down. I can easily get about 6-7 MBYTES (not megabits !) up and down with just 8 euros /month. No custom firmware, no weird devices and no limitations. You irish folks are soooo ripped off in my opinion :), I mean the internet sucks so much in your country. Big prices, poor speed. VERY poor :|
    Btw, I am from Romania, ranked 2nd worldwide in internet speed :P

LE: figured it out, rewrote firmware, works like a charm. Anyone wants to "unlock" these things PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

I'm looking for a new broadband provider at the moment, I don't have a landline I've been using mobile bb. Can you tell me: can i get magnet if i don't have a landline? Is there a minimum contract? When i check my address on the website it says i can't get 'simply bb' but a similar one called magnet stream which is 59.99, it doesn't give details of this package though other than it having a connection fee of €50.

skintiam wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new broadband provider at the moment, I don't have a landline I've been using mobile bb. Can you tell me: can i get magnet if i don't have a landline? Is there a minimum contract? When i check my address on the website it says i can't get 'simply bb' but a similar one called magnet stream which is 59.99, it doesn't give details of this package though other than it having a connection fee of €50.

Getting a landline isnt that expensive and for the quality of conection you get makes it worth it for me....
    Ive gotten a ll installed in my last three houses abd im never disappointed.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

I'm looking at getting a landline but I dont want to be tied to eircom for 12 months as its over my budget, so is the magnet package but if there wasn't a minimum contract it wouldn't be so bad.

Advertisement