Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

arctan wrote: »
    it is regulated by Comreg, and everything has to be tracked...

Tracked maybe but most certainly NOT regulated.
    When did you ever see Comreg fine eircom for failure to perform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Eircom is one of the most regulated companies in the state

it's done on yearly basis, next review is February/ March I think, they got hammered by Comreg for a couple of million last year because of the snow and that and not being able to make timelines ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Eircom will be economically penalized if they failed to meet the SLA except for cases of force majour (like snow, or other natural disaster)

Magne3t FTTH is a completely different thing. Although I dont know if Magnet share their backbone network with Eircom (dont see why they would) Eircom uses copper to get to the premises while magnet is all fibre. I have magnet FTTH and I also have the possibility of getting Eircom if I want to but again this will be through copper / DSL not using magnets fibre.

The SLA for PSTN faults is always the same and eircom have no obligation to fix them within 24 h.

Meetings with Eircom and Comreg take place every three months

Magnet do share their backbone with Eircom, and their FTTH products in North Dublin, Meath and Laois are their own networks yes, elsewhere is Eircom's

review meetings are done quarterly, but the fines or lack of are decided yearly, even though you metioned snow, Eircom got hammered because it last year, they still had vans on the road (there were only 2 or 3 days of full work stoppage) but as you would guess, progress was slow on the other days, hence they inccured penalties for it ...

any PSTN fault, whether it's from an OLO or one of their own customers, Eircom have to clear 80% of them within 24 hours of them being logged

there are circumstances where the clock can be stopped etc.. but those are the timelines we all had to work to.

Magnet do share their backbone with Eircom, and their FTTH products in North Dublin, Meath and Laois are their own networks yes, elsewhere is Eircom's

review meetings are done quarterly, but the fines or lack of are decided yearly, even though you metioned snow, Eircom got hammered because it last year, they still had vans on the road (there were only 2 or 3 days of full work stoppage) but as you would guess, progress was slow on the other days, hence they inccured penalties for it ...

any PSTN fault, whether it's from an OLO or one of their own customers, Eircom have to clear 80% of them within 24 hours of them being logged

there are circumstances where the clock can be stopped etc.. but those are the timelines we all had to work to.

Magnet sharing their backbone with Eircom sounds strange to say the least. But of course I dont work for magnet so I can't confirm this, you obviously do or have been told by someone from magnet. I am pretty sure that if they do they are the only ISP to do this as none of the others (Smart, BT) share their Line sharing backbone network with Eircom.

An OLO is also Eircom retail. We are talking about Eircom wholesale, Eircom retail and Eircom wholesale are two different things.

Eircom aimed to clear PSTN faults as quickly as possible but the SLA is still 5 working days although I think this changed recently I will check on monday.

• Advertisement

OLO, OAO ... it's all much of a muchness, it's terms that get plugged around the repair side of things for a customer using another operator .. we weren't that crazy about being politically correct about acronyms

OLO, OAO ... it's all much of a muchness, it's terms that get plugged around the repair side of things for a customer using another operator .. we weren't that crazy about being politically correct about acronyms

hehehe... true true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aaron190286

Hi,

Currently with 3 BB & my contract is up in a few days. Would anyone recommend Magnet Simply BB. I am looking for BB for PS3 gaming & the 3 BB aint too bad but can be a bit slow at times when gaming online. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Hi,

Currently with 3 BB & my contract is up in a few days. Would anyone recommend Magnet Simply BB. I am looking for BB for PS3 gaming & the 3 BB aint too bad but can be a bit slow at times when gaming online. Thanks:)

Yup I've been with magnet for about 4 years in three houses and all I really want it for is ps3 gaming its great currently on simply too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

thedoc46 wrote: »

The worst customer service team and tech team I have ever had the "Pleasure" of enduring over the last month or so,

i too have been waiting over one month now for my line to be fixed (no signal) . i call up magnet pretty much every day now and keep getting fobbed off saying "the fault is logged with Eircom and "Noleen" will call me later in the day..... that was two weeks ago... they said they tried to call me on the 13th of january but there was no answer....i have a HTC Desire HD.... every single call and text, received, missed, or dialled is logged on my phone since i bought it over a year ago....NOONE tried calling me on the 13th of January 2012.

Im now at the point of cancelling and going elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

Yup I've been with magnet for about 4 years in three houses and all I really want it for is ps3 gaming its great currently on simply too

Hey... i was wondering if you'd like to say what areas you have had magnet? i'm in Oranmore in Galway... and need to get an isp.

My contract with 3mobile broadband is up in a few weeks, so desperately trying to get summit sorted. (UPC) UNAVAILABLE IN MY AREA

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Supposed to be getting 24MB!
    Really unhappy. Switched to Magnet over Christmas, has been terrible.

1736015172.png

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

1736015172.png

Hi, your download and ping dont seem too bad to me... as i'm having to put up with mobile broadband, so ping is anywhere from 85ms=118!
    Your upload speed might be an issue though, for games etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

jay_k wrote: »
    Hi, your download and ping dont seem too bad to me... as i'm having to put up with mobile broadband, so ping is anywhere from 85ms=118!
    Your upload speed might be an issue though, for games etc..
    "Don't seem so bad"? I'm paying for 24.
    I don't even expect the full 24, but I'm only getting 1/4 of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Think there's a problem with my router, the wireless light is the only one that stays on, instead of the power, DSL and Wireless. Either that or I've been cut off.

i think magnet's adsl service might be in trouble

in recent week a number of magnet customers are finding their lines dead.

they log the faults with eircom and eircom is telling magnet the lines are working when they are clearly not. now if eircom is not fixing faults and magnet is dependant on eircom for its adsl service, doesnt that mean it is in deep ****e because eircom is failing to honour their contractual agreements with magnet ,thus costing magnet customers?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

i think magnet's adsl service might be in trouble

in recent week a number of magnet customers are finding their lines dead.

they log the faults with eircom and eircom is telling magnet the lines are working when they are clearly not. now if eircom is not fixing faults and magnet is dependant on eircom for its adsl service, doesnt that mean it is in deep ****e because eircom is failing to honour their contractual agreements with magnet ,thus costing magnet customers?

Hi nothingbetter2d, Phil from Magnet Customer Service here. I would like to assure you and any Magnet customer out there that Magnet's ADSL service is experiencing no problems. Also there is no issue existing between Magnet and eircom Wholesale. If you are a current Magnet customer and have experienced any problems please do not hesitate to PM me or call our customer service team directly. Or if there or any other Magnet customers out there who have experienced a problem please call our customer service team on 1890 809 000 and we will address your issue immediately.

Thanks

Phil

Hi nothingbetter2d, Phil from Magnet Customer Service here. I would like to assure you and any Magnet customer out there that Magnet's ADSL service is experiencing no problems. Also there is no issue existing between Magnet and eircom Wholesale. If you are a current Magnet customer and have experienced any problems please do not hesitate to PM me or call our customer service team directly. Or if there or any other Magnet customers out there who have experienced a problem please call our customer service team on 1890 809 000 and we will address your issue immediately.

Thanks

Phil

i tried dealing with your guys on the phone.... 6 weeks of phoning and nothing got done... ive since cancelled my order cos i got fed up getting the runaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kyle922

Hey whats the upload speed for the Simply Broadband package?

kyle922 wrote: »
    Hey whats the upload speed for the Simply Broadband package?

it depends on your line quality, & distance to exchange, but expect about 512kp/s on average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

As far as i know the speeds stated by magnet or any other company mean nothing as dsl (copper wires) will have there own max speed.

It will also depend on the distance between you and your local exchage.

After all the complaints here i have decided against Magnet, going with 8mb smart instead. The fact that magnet employees reply to the threads and still nothing is done makes it seem even worse.

Isay report them to comreg as if you do not they will keep acting like this, to be paying for a service for 2 months and still not have it is beyond a joke, I love the magnet response above when there is another thread outlining all the attempts to contact them and get them to deal with issues to no avail.

The fact Magnet seem to miss is they are being paid for a service they seem incapable of actually providing. And to think i almost called them to sign up.
    . Or if there or any other Magnet customers out there who have experienced a problem please call our customer service team on 1890 809 000 and we will address your issue immediately.

Thanks

Phil
    Oh I must get a new English dictionary seems that the word immediately now extends over a 2 month period lol.
    1736015172.png

1760301483.png

Bye bye O2 3G BB, amazing how well 2mb dongle does on the speedtests lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MCTarakan

Hi everyone! This thread is quite big and hard to find answer if it's there...

I'm currently on 8Mb Eircom bundle and not quite happy with it as there 3+ users in my house and when everybody online it is hard for me to play online games - ping rise up 100+

So I wonder what package suite me better - BOLT or FMAX?! They both same price but download twice higher on FMax what make me bit confused and hard to take decision. Please advice who use BOLT and will/did you change it to FMax after. I'm only one online gamer in house and want all my housemates benefit from this upgrade but me first :)

WBRs

MCTarakan wrote: »
    Hi everyone! This thread is quite big and hard to find answer if it's there...

I'm currently on 8Mb Eircom bundle and not quite happy with it as there 3+ users in my house and when everybody online it is hard for me to play online games - ping rise up 100+

So I wonder what package suite me better - BOLT or FMAX?! They both same price but download twice higher on FMax what make me bit confused and hard to take decision. Please advice who use BOLT and will/did you change it to FMax after. I'm only one online gamer in house and want all my housemates benefit from this upgrade but me first :)

WBRs

only UPC or Magnet Fibre has the ability to deliver low pings when 4 or more users are online at the same time....... adsl just cannot do it with 4 people using the net at the same time... its not magnet's fault for that though... its eircom's aging infrastructure. Now if you can get upc or magnet fibre to home then you should be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

1736015172.png

Unless your living next door to the telephone exchange then no, your not supposed to be getting 24Mbit. It's nothing to do with Magnet it's the physical limits of the product that's being used.

What's your distance to the exchange, and your attenuation. After you post those you can judge how happy you are with Magnet. With that speed your probably around 3Km from the exchange. If your a lot closer then there may be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Is anyone else experiencing packet drops? I called Magnet today, they confirmed our line has been down a few times over the last 2 days so they downgraded the profile from 12 to 10mbit. Now we get 8.4mbit down and ~0.7mbit up, but that's unusable as we're still seeing packet drops.

Sometimes it's fine, then at time we see anywhere from 1% - 25% packet drops. If you're playing any sorts of game, or streaming Youtube or anything, you know this is unacceptable because the stream stops and the game disconnects.

Translation: The Internet connection is useless at times.

Before this the connection worked great for roughly 6 months, so there must be some _external_ change, i.e. nothing to do with our phone line/equipment.

FWIW I'm testing packet drops with:
    ping -c 100 8.8.8.8

(replace -c with -n if you're on Windows)

edit: That's one of Google's public DNS servers. Best result so far (still with packet drops every now and then without any activity on the line):

2SURR.png

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Before this the connection worked great for roughly 6 months, so there must be some _external_ change, i.e. nothing to do with our phone line/equipment.

I like how you came up to that conclusion... i'd say that's what 50% of people calling to tech support say... the other 50% was "it was working fine yesterday and I havent changed anything so it must be something on your side" ;)

In my opinion your problem is most likely with your line / PSTN, maybe internal.

I believe this is the reason why magnet lowered your speed because based on their test they can see a problem with your line if not something internal, or at least they suspect it.

This is also confirmed by what you said about magnet confirming that your line has dropped in the last few days. If it was a magnet network issue your line will not drop or lose sync, this only happens when there is a problem between the DSLAM and your router.

Chances of a global issue affecting just to you are very very slim, in fact, they are almost impossible.

here is a ping from my magnet connection while using p2p and watching a video on youtube:

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=243
    Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=243
    Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=243

Not a single packet loss

and here is my speedtest

1765379832.png

I am on fibre but, as far as I know, magnet uses the same network for both

Give magnet a ring again and just follow the typical troubleshooting steps, if you do I am sure you will get it fixed, or at least find out where the problem is! :)

Bohrio wrote: »
    I like how you came up to that conclusion... i'd say that's what 50% of people calling to tech support say... the other 50% was "it was working fine yesterday and I havent changed anything so it must be something on your side" ;)

In my opinion your problem is most likely with your line / PSTN, maybe internal.

I believe this is the reason why magnet lowered your speed because based on their test they can see a problem with your line if not something internal, or at least they suspect it.

This is also confirmed by what you said about magnet confirming that your line has dropped in the last few days. If it was a magnet network issue your line will not drop or lose sync, this only happens when there is a problem between the DSLAM and your router.

Chances of a global issue affecting just to you are very very slim, in fact, they are almost impossible.

here is a ping from my magnet connection while using p2p and watching a video on youtube:

snip

and here is my speedtest

snip

I am on fibre but, as far as I know, magnet uses the same network for both

Give magnet a ring again and just follow the typical troubleshooting steps, if you do I am sure you will get it fixed, or at least find out where the problem is! :)

You're on fiber so the numbers can't be compared to mine, obviously.

External = something outside my apartment. I haven't changed my router, any cables, or the modem, therefore the change is external. Obviously this started a few days ago, and for MONTHS before that, it's been working fine without ANY issues. Someone suddenly clipped half my phone line inside my apartment? Uh, no.

If it's Magnet's "fault", or Eircom's phone line that's being **** on somewhere down the line, is not my problem. Magnet are providing the service, so it's their responsibility to fix any issues.

The reason Magnet changed my ADSL2+ profile from 12 to 10 megabit was to see if they could fix the drops. They have no clue what is causing the drops, or why, that's why they're activating a lower profile - just to see if it helps. If it helps, problem solved, customer will go away (i.e. ticket closed). If it doesn't, well, tough luck (for me). :(

Mathiasb wrote: »
    You're on fiber so the numbers can't be compared to mine, obviously.

External = something outside my apartment. I haven't changed my router, any cables, or the modem, therefore the change is external. Obviously this started a few days ago, and for MONTHS before that, it's been working fine without ANY issues. Someone suddenly clipped half my phone line inside my apartment? Uh, no.

If it's Magnet's "fault", or Eircom's phone line that's being **** on somewhere down the line, is not my problem. Magnet are providing the service, so it's their responsibility to fix any issues.

The reason Magnet changed my ADSL2+ profile from 12 to 10 megabit was to see if they could fix the drops. They have no clue what is causing the drops, or why, that's why they're activating a lower profile - just to see if it helps. If it helps, problem solved, customer will go away (i.e. ticket closed). If it doesn't, well, tough luck (for me). :(

You did say that the problem was not with your telephone line (so I thought you mean the telephone line outside the apartment as the line inside is the internal wiring), leaving the problem only on magnet network. Magnets network is the same for fibre, bitstream and LLU.

As I have already said the problem might be with your telephone line which would explain why magnet dropped your profile and why your line has dropped a few times in the last few days. But there is a possibility it is internal, just because you havent changed anything doesnt mean is not broken.

For example, if you wake up one morning, get in your car but your car doesnt start you dont spend the rest of the morning sitting there saying, well, i didnt do anything since yesterday so the car should start fine!

As I said, I am not saying the problem is internal, but the fact that most of the times it is should make you be a bit more receptive to this possiblity. Just let magnet do their job, they will check your line, see if there is a fault on your line, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

In fairness the line belongs to Eircom which Eircom installed itself nothing Magnet can do if it's down to Eircom's crappy copper line that runs to your house.

To be honest fibre isn't going to suffer the same problems as an ADSL line would two totally differant tech and hardware involved there the fibre connection will always beat a ADSL line hands down.

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    In fairness the line belongs to Eircom which Eircom installed itself nothing Magnet can do if it's down to Eircom's crappy copper line that runs to your house.

To be honest fibre isn't going to suffer the same problems as an ADSL line would two totally differant tech and hardware involved there the fibre connection will always beat a ADSL line hands down.

Absolutely, as I understand it the problem is with Eircom's equipment somewhere. The line has been more stable since they lowered it to 10mbit from 12mbit. Conclusion: the line has degraded somewhere along the line. I really doubt the modem suddenly got "sick" and would stop working properly at 12mbit. :rolleyes:

And yeah, comparing ADSL to fiber is meaningless, it doesn't mean anything. I mean, we already know where the problem is so.

Anyways, line seems to be fine now (knock on wood), no disconnections yet!

Advertisement