Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I think a package that might suit you was discussed here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

I think a package that might suit you was discussed here :)

Thanks for that it would be great but when I put my address in on their website its says that that option isn't available but i could get a very similar product for 59.99 (bit expensive for me) Thanks though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

ive gotten a ll installed (by eircom) but i kept all my dealings with magnet.... so when i moved house 8 months later i notified magnet in good time told em my new address and they just moved my connection... ( i had to get a phone line there too) with no penelty ....

MAGNET are great if u treat them nice and give them notice there is nothin they wont do for u.... in my experience anyway

unfortunately ure connection basically depends on the eircom network so if ure not in an urban area u maybe be stuck with few choices...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

dublin34 wrote: »
    Hey I just signed up to Magnet...not going well so far, been a week since first router arrived, didnt work, had second one sent, didnt work. To be fair its looking more like a line problem but I have NO idea when they are sending an engineer out and nobody phones me back. So am thinking of cancelling....am in Smithfield Market...anyone tell me what kind of speeds they are ACTUALLY getting from Magnet???

Was just wondering if you had magnet broadband installed in the end and if so would you advise me to get it as i am also in the smithfield area and was thinking of going with magnet for 24mb broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Waiting for an engineer from magnet to call out. Organised for this morning (between 9-1) but no sign yet. Called magnet to see if they could ask the engineer to contact me to let me know of arrival time. They said they couldn't and wouldn't even take my details as 'there was nothing they could do'. Took the morning off work for this and now have to call to take this afternoon off too. Can't even pop out to the shop to grab some lunch. Ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Waiting for an engineer from magnet to call out. Organised for this morning (between 9-1) but no sign yet. Called magnet to see if they could ask the engineer to contact me to let me know of arrival time. They said they couldn't and wouldn't even take my details as 'there was nothing they could do'. Took the morning off work for this and now have to call to take this afternoon off too. Can't even pop out to the shop to grab some lunch. Ridiculous

At least you've got an engineer. I've not had TV for 3 weeks now. :mad: Have phoned them a bunch of times and keep getting fobbed off and that its been escalated to level 3 support like I should be happy with that :confused:. No contact from them whatsoever to update me. Haven't phoned them in a week so must do that tonight!

They're great when the service works, but their customer service/support is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DubsBlue

I had a very bad experience with them too. I rang them up to get broadband and said i needed strong broadband as it was used by all the family in the house. The sale's guy say's its second to none 24 meg speed. After i got the broadband in i noticed it wasn't very fast so i tested it and got 5 meg every time (it was meant to be 24 meg). So rang them up and got told that, that was as fast as i could get in my area. So i told them it was no good to me and i wanted to cancel it. They start saying he'd have to pass it up and let them get back to me about it, so after a few weeks of messing about i just said i didn't want it and i was canceling it. So they said i'd have to pay 50 euro to cancel and give 30 day's notice (which meant anther 40 euro) so in total i had payed 170 euro and i used it for two days. I sent them back the modem with the envelope they had sent to me and they then sent me a bill for 70 euro, which could only be for the modem but it didn't say on the bill what it was for. So i emailed them and asked what was going on i had sent the modem back and there was no reply. Then after a few weeks of nothing i got an email from a debt collecting company and then phone calls and then letters out to the house which i have done what magnet done to me and total ignored (which i am still getting call's from). This in all, is a long story cut short and properly not well explained by me but i'll finish by saying they are the worst company i ever had to deal with it and i wouldn't have anything to do with them. I don't say that lightly as i know time's are hard to survive in these time's for all companies out there but that's how i feel after what i have been through with them

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

There are few Pro-Magnet posts on this thread so I thought I'd add one.

I have been with Magnet for over 18 months as a residential customer and have never had a problem. The speed dips every now and again but it's never really noticeable. I'm a software engineer so I'm constantly connected to various servers and connect to the office VPN too as well as having a few torrents on the go.

I am moving house and plan on changing to a business account. I spoke to one of the business sales reps who answered all my questions quickly and I had decided to proceed.... that was until I read this thread. I sent an email to the rep with my concerns. He phoned me straight back and explained that it was with regret that Magnet had not been paying due attention to boards.ie. They plan on appointing a dedicated staff member to help with boards members concerns. After the call, I'm still happy to proceed with Magnet.

* I am not affiliated with Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Vodafone & Eircom are rubbish. I have never had problems with magnet either. Sometimes speed does dip every few weeks, reboot my modem and my own WRT54 and all grand again. However I have never had to deal with their customer service. For mke, at least, service just works. I have been with them for about 1 1/2 years.

I would love to be able to get UPC but unfortunately the apartment complex was set up for those assh***s Sky Conway. :(

My family has eircom and it is extremely poor [they are soon moving to UPC], and a mate has vodafone and it is also crap.

And I am not affiliated with Magnet. I can send you an email from my work email to prove it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've never had a minute of downtime with Magnet either and I'm not affiliated with them. They were the best option I could get where I live and would recommend them to anyone who can't get UPC.

• Advertisement

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I've never had a minute of downtime with Magnet either and I'm not affiliated with them. They were the best option I could get where I live and would recommend them to anyone who can't get UPC.

Same. I had come from 6 years of UPC and wasnt happy I had to drop to 24M. However with no issues, and a I believe a single outage in the last 1.5 years Im happy.

ramorman wrote: »
    Magnet employees must be told to try and get some positivity back to this thread ,

As stated buddy, Im not from Magnet. PM me if you like and ill fire you an email from my work account.
    I have worked for several of the big players in communications , I'm now gone back to my original job in the financial sector , but believe me I feel very strong about how bad Magnet are , I have been asked by companies that I do some work for about Magnet and I just tell them , no way , they trust me because I have dealt with them before , I hate seeing anyone getting ripped off and running into major trouble with their communications ,

Everything is relative mate. Ive only ever seen and heard bad things about Eircom, and more recently Vodafone. Having dealt with Eircom before I would recommend to anyone not to go near them. Personally I have no actual dealings with Vodafone, so cannot comment. However someone I know quite well has had nothing but problems with them.
    So my advice and many peoples advice on this thread is to stay away from Magnet ,

The only reason I chirped in here was because of all the negativity. I posted over a year ago in the thread. I have had no problems in the interim. I have multiple permanent VPN tunnels open all around the world, and I have no caps. My advice is they have been grand for me, and I would advise people to stay away from Eircom/Vodafone.

ive had magnet for years great compant ... but my internet needs have changed and ive gone to upc fibre , unfortunatly magnet want to charge me for 20 days service i havent had...... this ruins the previous four good years ive had with them
    i am totally unsure what to think about them now
    great connection... terrible common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I know for a fact with companies and individuals I deal with everyday that Magnet are a disaster, If people want to stick up for them you are in the minority ,I dealt with them every day and I also have heard through the grapevine that they are going to the wall
    I must be in the minority so.
    Im with Magnet 5 years this June(they were the only TV/BB company allowed in complex),i have FTTH & never had a problem with them,actualy the only complaint i'd have is their lack of tv channels.
    We have UPC in our complex now aswell but i refuse to pay the ridiculous installation charges just to get them in but i what you are saying about Magnet "going to the wall" is true i may have to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 capall_bo_fear

Magnet are shockingly bad!
    Living in the Salthill side of Galway, we're on the 30 day contract, renting a modem on top for €48 per month, advertised as 30MB .... the sad reality is average speeds of a whooping 2.5MB down 0.5MB up and ping 75-85ms any time of day.... Now I know the distance to the exchange plays a part, but split between 6 people, it's a an absolute shambles.
    I've called and asked for assistance/complained god knows how many times ... where you get treated like a tool who can't use a feckin' calculator never mind a computer... router can only handle 7 connections... I was told last time "monitor the situation for a week or two and we might be able to do something afterwards..."

Proof again of how Magnet do business , both with price and service

And their is millions of the same said about Eircom for years. As i stated, each persons attitude to specific companies is completely relative to their own experience with them. Your generalizations are getting tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Funny, all the people who say Magnet are bad, registered in last few months...

and a few posts

I have Magnet Fiber to the home, and have no complaints with Broadband... ( The TV Service can use some miracle)

I am now getting the feeling that with all his waxing lyrical about eircom, that ramorman is in fact an eircom stooge/employee. I would love to see where you pulled the "Eircom still have 70% of the market " from, as by 2008 or so they had dropped to 40ish % Since then there has been a surge of UPC uptake, so I would highly doubt they have gone back over 50%

I am currently looking for broadband market share percentages on comreg/comstat but there isnt a whole lot of specific company data.

In regards to Eircom, they are screwed also:
    Eircom notified the public in February 2012 that they decided to no longer honouring their debt, had entered default status and would not continue as a going concern. Eircom gave notification that they have canceled a mandatory interest payment on their publicly traded senior corporate bond, then due to mature in 2016.
    On March 29, 2012, a number of companies within the Eircom Group presented a petition to the Irish High Court for the appointment of an examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I used to have eircom BB and then switched to UPC which were a rip off , I now just have Sky TV and an o2 dongle for BB which is cheaper , , not ideal but this country is crap for communications , The company I work with had Magnet and it was problem after problem , we now use a company called SipTrunks.ie , I worked with Eircom back in 2000 for 2 years when they had almost monopoly , I don't think Eircom are any better than anyone else , So I'm not an Eircom employee thank God , I pulled the percentage out of my head I don't know the figures , My reason to be on here is to talk about how bad Magnet is as I know first hand how bad they are , not alone the company I work for but every other company that I deal with have had terrible experience with Magnet , They are going to the wall and in my opinion I wish to advise anyone thinking of going to Magnet , Not to do so , I'm not employed by a communications company , if you read back through the thread I work in the financial sector

You moved from UPC and called this country crap for communications. Is 150mb fibre to your house not up to scratch or something?

My reason to be on here is to talk about how bad Magnet is as I know first hand how bad they are , not alone the company I work for but every other company that I deal with have had terrible experience with Magnet , They are going to the wall

And the same has been said of Eircom for a decade. As I stated these are customer experiences that are completely relative. You incessant claims of how bad Magnet are have been noted. No need to keep going on about it. Some people have had bad experiences, some have had great experiences. Personally i would move to UPC if i had the option. My next best option has been Magnet and im happy. Only reason Im even involved in this conversation is to play Devils Advocate to your unsupported and unverifiable claims. We get it you dont like Magnet. You think they are s**t. Great. Not everyone shares that opinion, and they have been fine for quite a number of people.

And In regards to price, Eircom is more expensive than the magnet offering @55€;

I also highly doubt Magnet is going to the wall. Any proof?

Oh and I found that data i was looking for:
    http://www.comreg.ie/publications/quarterly_report_q3_2012.539.104254.p.html

Fig 3.3.8: Q3 2012, Eircom market share of Fixed Broadband 42%. Down from 45.2% in Q3 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

My experience with Magnet had been great until I encountered my current issue. From reading back over the thread a lot of people have had similar experiences - product is great, support leaves a lot to be desired.

Everytime I phone now I get the same line: "Apologies for no-one contacting you. It's with level 3 support and they're doing testing. I'll put a note on your call for someone from level 3 to call you with an update. It won't be until tomorrow though..." Rinse and repeat ad-nauseum.

TV has been down 4 weeks now still no contact :mad:, but at least broadband is still belting along :confused:.

Will be giving Sky a call soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

As it was I who revived this thread after a month of no action I feel compelled to update my situation (#1266 pg 85)! As it turned out there was no need for an engineer to call out to the house and Magnet were waiting on Eircom to activate the line. I eventually got a text that evening at about 6.30 saying that my line was now activated. I attached my router and off she went! Speeds are good (better than I had in my old place anyway) averaging at about 7 megs download and no problem with service since it was installed.

In short, pissed off with lack of communication / information re line installation but everything fine since then :)

Oh and Ramorman - take a deep breath and relax ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

150mb BB to my house ??? I never got anywhere near that and I doubt anyone else does , UPC are nothing but break downs and problems the TV would always stall and the BB was the same, Romania have better BB than Ireland , we are behind almost every country with BB

I'm on UPC, 100Meg broadband only, and I've had perhaps 3 short-term outages in 6 months. I have had little to no contact with their customer care, as I've never had to, so I have no idea what they're like on that end.

All in all, happy with the service. Far better than my eircom/smart/magnet experiences. All of those providers had more outages, and longer ones. Magnet's CC was fine back then, smarts was less good, and eircom were pains to deal with.

Edit: They should all be more clear about the megaBIT vs megaBYTE though in their ads though, even something as simple as saying that 100 megabits = 12500 kilobytes, or you should be expecting a max download of 12.5 megabytes a second.

150mb BB to my house ??? I never got anywhere near that and I doubt anyone else does , UPC are nothing but break downs and problems the TV would always stall and the BB was the same, Romania have better BB than Ireland , we are behind almost every country with BB

Now you are just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

The reason there are no pro Magnet quotes is quite obvious that they are a rip off and very poor after sales , when someone say's they are not affiliated with a company 90% of the time they usually are . If you are a software engineer you definately would not be using Magnet as they are possibly the worst supplier in this country , your not fooling this particular person about your little tale , Magnet don't look after their own customer service , so they definately will not be dedicating a staff member to look after concerns on this board , good try buddy

I haven't checked this thread since yesterday. ramorman, you have been a busy little troll haven't you. I am 100% not affiliated with Magnet and was simply using boards as a platform to let users know Magnet is not all bad. As Shougeki stated, it's all relative. Some people have had bad experiences and some good. Let us describe those experiences here and let the readers decide.

Proof again of how Magnet do business , both with price and service

there service was fantastic... and i couldnt complain about the price either... basically a mix up at the ending of my service is all..

would still absolutely recommend them

but thats only my opinion...

maybe you should try not spamming this thread with urs, Once should be enough

#9: Romania
    Average Connection Speed: 6.4 Mbps

#7: Ireland
    Average Connection Speed: 6.8 Mbps

lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    and dont forget about 1/3 the debt :)
    I waa just laughing at ramorman giving out about irish bb, when he was actually wrong in what he said...
    Obviously which is why i quoted him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

LOL, after me saying in previous post that iv never had a problem with Magnet we have had no TV/BB since 10 this morning :mad:
    Rang them twice only to be told they are working on the issue,not happy

Advertisement