Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

does anyone know a good provider for the Rathangan area of Co Kildare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Baughn

Hi All,

I have had a back seat for a while but I am now here if you have any burning issues to ask or get resolved - PM me or post here - I will be around most days, however as I also have a day job in Magnet response times could vary ;)

So, when are you going to offer FTTH in the Gasworks (barrow street)?

I don't know what rules might be stopping you, but it should be a slam-dunk. It's a densely populated area, with a rather large number of computer engineers who'd really like decent lines. The 80/8 connection I've got from UPC just isn't cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Magnet: Gary

Magnet have no immediate plans for new FTTH developments in Dublin.

I understand your points, and will pass them onto our management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Baughn

Magnet have no immediate plans for new FTTH developments in Dublin.

I understand your points, and will pass them onto our management team.
    Keep me posted, then.

I tend to check back every few months, just on the off chance something's changed. I'd also be looking for a business-class line; price is not quite no object, but something in the area of 200 euros/month would be suitable, presuming it's a reasonably fast, low-latency line. Uplink speed more important than downlink.

Well, that's because the Gasworks is right next to Google, and most of us live right next to work. I'm terribly annoyed at the poor UPC SME lines, so there's a real opportunity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Magnet: Gary

I understand the need for a high speed low latency link and have been speaking to some of the managers in magnet, and will come back to you with any updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

A question, from a Magnet customer over the last couple of years:

Is there any way to setup your own modem, rather than using the one that Magnet sent to you? I was given a Zyxel P-660 when I originally signed up, but the router is absolutely terrible, and it gets overloaded with data incredibly easy and stops working pending a reboot (refreshing server lists on Steam is a surefire way to make it take a dump).

Had a Netgear router sat on my desk, but never had any success with configuring it to Magnet.

Also - Gary, I dropped you a pm a few days ago. I re-sent it (as it isn't showing in my Sent Items). Any chance of you taking a look at it?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭djskip316i

Is anyone else having serious latency/Ping issues with Magnet lately .
    I signed up with them 3 months ago and as soon as 9pm hits my ping is like this .
    65904913.png

Ive Emailed them on numerous occasions and got no reply .
    Ive called them around 5-6 times and it still isnt fixed .

Here are my speed test results
    ines9l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bennyb98

HI.. i think the speed on my internet was turned down when i was getting it installed first as the guy in tech support tried afew things as i was having problems. he said he was turning down the speed to see if that worked.. it didnt as it was a router problem in the end. i was getting around 19mb speed at the start but now i am lucky to get 12mb.. im supposed to be on the 24mb package. do u think its possible my speed was turned down..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DMFox

Hi!

So, I really do like Magnet, but I would actually like some access to the router they provided. Specifically the ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A. I can get to the login screen but unfortunately no password was provided, which is something of an annoyance. The default 1234 doesn't work. Does anyone have any idea how to locate what the password is?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

DMFox wrote: »
    Hi!

So, I really do like Magnet, but I would actually like some access to the router they provided. Specifically the ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A. I can get to the login screen but unfortunately no password was provided, which is something of an annoyance. The default 1234 doesn't work. Does anyone have any idea how to locate what the password is?

Many thanks!

It's on a sheet of paper with your account details and magnet email address, I think it came in the box with the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 DMFox

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have that piece of paper, haven't actually had a magnet email address or account details yet. Just got the box, plugged it in. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have that piece of paper, haven't actually had a magnet email address or account details yet. Just got the box, plugged it in. :(

Can't be as bad as what happened to me, took me 7 months to find it...

Hi!

Many thanks!

Unless this has changed, the settings in the Zyxel router are all completely locked down, and the Admin Username/Pass only actually allows you to 'view' basic connectivity settings (upload/download, cpu/memory usage, IP address).

I've now been waiting 3 weeks for a response to my previous query. I emailed Magnet directly, however there's been no response at all. :/

And, had a call from Mike in their Sales team today (I fired off a second email at the weekend).

Can upgrade my 8.1mb Swift package, to a 15mb Magnet Force Max (states up to 24mb, but the line is only capable of 15), but would mean I'd be locked into a new 1 year contract.

I think that I'd actually end up saving a little bit of money (40 per month + 24 Eircom line rental currently, going to 61 per month all inclusive), but don't really want to end up locked into another 1 year contract for the marginal upgrade offered. ><

Why does Cork have to have such terrible internet (I live right next to the brewery, literally 100 yards from the City Center)? ><

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Izmak wrote: »
    And, had a call from Mike in their Sales team today (I fired off a second email at the weekend).

Can upgrade my 8.1mb Swift package, to a 15mb Magnet Force Max (states up to 24mb, but the line is only capable of 15), but would mean I'd be locked into a new 1 year contract.

I think that I'd actually end up saving a little bit of money (40 per month + 24 Eircom line rental currently, going to 61 per month all inclusive), but don't really want to end up locked into another 1 year contract for the marginal upgrade offered. ><

Why does Cork have to have such terrible internet (I live right next to the brewery, literally 100 yards from the City Center)? ><
    I live in cork turners cross, and im also on magnet 24 (20mb) but im on simply which is only 40 a month... No phone just net not sure about a contract as ive been with magnet for yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Whats Magnets email address? Cant find i on their website, I did a 'search this forum' query which turned up nothing either

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Its ok I got sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Anybody ever get an apple airport express basestation to work with maget broadband,
    i cant find any options to enter Vpi/Vci values :mad:

all i can seem to do is bridge to my current router, but Im trying to replace that fella

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lantuzi

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Anybody ever get an apple airport express basestation to work with maget broadband,
    i cant find any options to enter Vpi/Vci values :mad:

all i can seem to do is bridge to my current router, but Im trying to replace that fella
    try

ISP connection type: dynamic IP address
    VPI: 0
    VCI: 35
    Connection Type: 1483 bridged IP LLC
    ADSL Mode: ADSL 2+
    ADSL Type: ANNEX A/I/J/L/M

from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056596411

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smanet

Hello,
    I'm moving from Italy to Ireland and I'm interested in Magnet fiber/broadband.
    Can anyone say to me if I'm covered by these lines? I will be in Manor square, Ongar Village, Clonsilla, Dublin 15.
    Thank you

Sandro

• Advertisement

I get my BB today and know the correct setting from customer service. Here is the configuration for "Simply Broadband":

Mode: Routing
    Connection Type: ENET ENCAP

The following is the captured image of my modem "EIRCOM Zyxel P-660-HW T1 V3". I totally reset my modem to factory setting before inputting above configuration, because I failed to get WAN IP when I used the same configuration initially.

7745690200_c633063f92.jpg
    lantuzi wrote: »
    try

Connection Type: 1483 bridged IP LLC

from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056596411

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

lantuzi wrote: »
    I get my BB today and know the correct setting from customer service. Here is the configuration for "Simply Broadband":

Mode: Routing
    Connection Type: ENET ENCAP
    yes I understand what needs to be entered, but my question is has any body done it on an apple airport express, the new model, it doesn't seem to have the interface to enter vci/vpi settings.....

ridiculous really, what a waste of money, who could of assumed a modern router wouldn't have this option :mad:

Stuxnet wrote: »
    yes I understand what needs to be entered, but my question is has any body done it on an apple airport express, the new model, it doesn't seem to have the interface to enter vci/vpi settings.....

ridiculous really, what a waste of money, who could of assumed a modern router wouldn't have this option :mad:

airport exress is not a dsl modem. it is only a wireless router. so you need to a modem to connect between airport express and your telephone cable

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Krstof123

I'm thinking about subscribing magnets simply broadband for 40 euro a month. Do they supply any hardware? or do I have to get my own modem (and router)?

For Simply Broadband,You can use your own modem/router. If you rent the router from Magnet, I remember you need to pay 6.99eur/month and 7.99eur for shipping. I am not very sure about the price. You can check their website

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

On the Pallasgreen exchange, was wondering will this work out there?
    Is it as good as advertised?
    I can only get 7mb into the house anyway, but paying Eircom €55 a month is killing me, not finacially, but mentally.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Krstof123 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about subscribing magnets simply broadband for 40 euro a month. Do they supply any hardware? or do I have to get my own modem (and router)?

Just off the phone with them, you can rent a modem from them for €5.99 extra a month.
    I'm a bit wary of renting a modem from them, what would the quality of their own modem be like?
    If I were to buy one myself, would anyone be able to recommend a brand or specific model?

Also, do I need a router? I don't quite understand modems and routers, are they always needed together, or can you have one without the other?
    All I'm looking to do is connect two laptops and a phone or two to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

magent really supply a bridge.. ie there is little to no user access to the "modem" , if u need to change something on it u must ring/mail magnet and they will doit there end.. i was against that at first but in actual fact it saves a lot of messing....

magnets own "modem" is grand ive never had problems with it over the last 3+yrs.. i only use internetz though.

paying 5.99 rental sounds crazy to me.. im sure you could get the exact model online for 20 quid or far less ,then get magnet to setup from there end!!

(infact i might have 1 lying around if ure having problems sourcing 1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

Hey I just ordered magnet broadband, can you let me know what model of router/modem they use? I dont want to pay the rental if I can buy one cheaply. Is it difficult to set up?

• Advertisement

Any modem compatible with ADSL2+ should be fine

Advertisement