Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

S4astliv wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has this issue with Magnet. When downloading single large file (aprx. 100Mb or more) the download suddenly stops after 20-25%? Be it http or ftp, doesn't matter. I used different devices, routers - same result. Also tried to download the same file from work - no issues. So its really down to magnet. Called their tech support, the guy on the phone said that this is not a known issue and this was the first time he heard about it in two years since he is working there. So just wondering if anyone had the same experience? Thanks.

Nothing like that on my end, my downloads gfoing through fine

Is it P2P or a dedicated server? Might be the file is corrupt or something. Plenty of times I've had torrent sit at X% because they were broken

• Registered Users Posts: 12 S4astliv

TheDoc wrote: »
    Nothing like that on my end, my downloads gfoing through fine

Is it P2P or a dedicated server? Might be the file is corrupt or something. Plenty of times I've had torrent sit at X% because they were broken

Thanks for a reply. Its a dedicated server, happens to any large files. Torrents work as expected, because they are usually divided into smaller files, like 2 or 4 Mb in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Hi, signed up to Magnet last week, and received the modem today, as i was promised a free upgrade to fatpipe fibre when it will be available here shortly, is this modem compatible with it? Or do they send an new modem for that?

EDIT: ment fat pipe fibre

finnteme wrote: »
    Hi, signed up to Magnet last week, and received the modem today, as i was promised a free upgrade to fibre when it will be available here shortly, is this modem compatible with it? Or do they send an new modem for that?

I think they will send a new one, because according to google TG703 Technicolor does not have a socket for fibre cable.

I think they will send a new one, because according to google TG703 Technicolor does not have a socket for fibre cable.

But the fatpipe fibre is delivered via the normal phone socket, or am i completly wrong here?

• Advertisement

But the fatpipe fibre is delivered via the normal phone socket, or am i completly wrong here?

Not sure here... If its true, then your modem would support it. I would simply call Magnet and ask, sure they know the answer.

The FAtfibre is Fibre to the cabinet, its the same line into the house, so the router/modem will most likely not change

I'm still awaiting to get some information back on wether or not my area is getting the upgrade :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Brand new fibre box on the road outside my house, so can't wait to hear about this fat pipe.

Im getting mine around 20th of may :) Cant wait :)
    The cabinet that was installed is 10 m from my front door, so im expecting the max speeds :)

Bastards

Got a call yesterday outlining that Fatpipe not available in my area during first rounds. So have to keep the fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Do we have any ideas of where is available? Im in D8 area :P Only signed up to the notification earlier today :P

Just got the modem, and installed the services, getting these speed

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2679015544.png
    31.26 and 3.17, ping 30ms

Can the result be this good, since this is not the fiber yet? Im excpecting almost full speed (70 mb/s) with fiber since there is 10 m to the cabinet.

Which service did you buy? 24?

Which service did you buy? 24?

Sorry, had to delete that post :) I was still connected to UPC wireless :P me stupid :D

Getting around 10 mb/s now, so that sounds more than normal for me..

So now im waiting for the upgrade to the fibre :)

Sorry, had to delete that post :) I was still connected to UPC wireless :P me stupid :D

Getting around 10 mb/s now, so that sounds more than normal for me..

So now im waiting for the upgrade to the fibre :)

Ya, I was supprised when I saw the result :)

Im getting around 13mb on 24mb service. It all depends on the line itself really. Mine is old and can do up to 17mb only.

Ya, I was supprised when I saw the result :)

Im getting around 13mb on 24mb service. It all depends on the line itself really. Mine is old and can do up to 17mb only.

Why did you switch to Magnet though? I was thinking to switch to UPC, seems like they provide better speeds.

Why did you switch to Magnet though? I was thinking to switch to UPC, seems like they provide better speeds.

Im getting Magnet 70 mb fatpipe broadband at the end of may.
    UPC can only deliver max 30mb/s in this area, and they didnt had any plans to rollout faster speeds. Also the channel selection that they had in this area (Balbriggan) was poor, no ondemand, no HD etc. So when they sent email ab. price increase, i moved my business elsewhere. (Sky+Magnet)

Im getting Magnet 70 mb fatpipe broadband at the end of may.
    UPC can only deliver max 30mb/s in this area, and they didnt had any plans to rollout faster speeds. Also the channel selection that they had in this area (Balbriggan) was poor, no ondemand, no HD etc. So when they sent email ab. price increase, i moved my business elsewhere. (Sky+Magnet)

Thanks. I have signed up for the notification on Magnet website to let me know when they are planning to rollout 70 mb fatpipe broadband in my location. Once I have the answer I will make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

when i first heard of the fatpipe i rang magnet and they said i would be upgraded to the fat pipe by the end of may, grand. but i am a bit sceptical since i am in one of those areas only getting 12mbs on a 24mb line , as the line is not capable of any more etc etc etc... how is the 70mbs fatpipe supposed to work so? :o

DRice wrote: »
    when i first heard of the fatpipe i rang magnet and they said i would be upgraded to the fat pipe by the end of may, grand. but i am a bit sceptical since i am in one of those areas only getting 12mbs on a 24mb line , as the line is not capable of any more etc etc etc... how is the 70mbs fatpipe supposed to work so? :o

Eircom has been installed new fibre cabinets in your area, and your line will be connected to those new cabinets after 20th may when the service goes live, hence the faster speeds.

The cabinets are dark green in color, just keep on eye on those, i think there is thread somewhere here in boards.ie where people have been mapping the cabinet locations..

EDIT

Here is the link to the other thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Hi, I recently signed up for Magnet's FatPipe Stream service (I think that's what it's called). It's 24 down 1 up. (Or at least up to those speeds).

Just a few questions about Magent's infrastructure. Their contention ratio is 1:1, right? Or not? Do they offer any upload speeds faster than 1 megabit?

How do people find their service? Has anyone used them in Tullamore? Are there any hidden charges? So far I have ascertained that I have to pay these costs: €50 installation fee. €7.95 for shipping the router. €45 per month, contract-less. €50 to break the "contract".

Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 smanet

Gumbi wrote: »
    Hi, I recently signed up for Magnet's FatPipe Stream service (I think that's what it's called). It's 24 down 1 up. (Or at least up to those speeds).

Just a few questions about Magent's infrastructure. Their contention ratio is 1:1, right? Or not? Do they offer any upload speeds faster than 1 megabit?

How do people find their service? Has anyone used them in Tullamore? Are there any hidden charges? So far I have ascertained that I have to pay these costs: €50 installation fee. €7.95 for shipping the router. €45 per month, contract-less. €50 to break the "contract".

Thanks in advance :)

I was about to do the same, however as far as I understood, the "Stream" product is just Eircom line managed by Magnet.
    They offered me up to 24 Mbit in an area where I could get only 5 Mbit with Eircom.
    If they don't use they own line other than the Eircom one, I feel it's not useful to sign with them. Unfortunately.

smanet wrote: »
    I was about to do the same, however as far as I understood, the "Stream" product is just Eircom line managed by Magnet.
    They offered me up to 24 Mbit in an area where I could get only 5 Mbit with Eircom.
    If they don't use they own line other than the Eircom one, I feel it's not useful to sign with them. Unfortunately.
    Ya, I think that's the case. Eircom have worse pricing, though :/ While getting quotes from different companies, a Sky agent tested the line of the place and got 17 megabits down. So hopefully it works out something like that. As long as I have a stable connection faster than 10 megabits I'm happy.

The contention ratio of 1 to 1 is a big plus for me if that's the case.

Ya, I think that's the case. Eircom have worse pricing, though :/ While getting quotes from different companies, a Sky agent tested the line of the place and got 17 megabits down. So hopefully it works out something like that. As long as I have a stable connection faster than 10 megabits I'm happy.

The contention ratio of 1 to 1 is a big plus for me if that's the case.

I was reading something also in here and this is the major point why I didn't sign with Magnet, also if it wasn't the Stream one.

"Traffic Management Details
    If a customer uses more than 4Gb during peak hours we will slow the speed of their
    connection to 1Mbps to all internet sites except the following:
     Netflix
     Youtube
     AerTV
     Spotify
     Facebook
     RTE Player
     TV3 Player
    Customers will always be able to access all of the above sites at their normal speeds at all
    times.
    Customers are free to use as much data as they like outside of peak hours, off peak hours
    being between 1am – 4pm. Having this period of unlimited off peak data usage allows even
    the high usage customer opportunity to benefit from this extended period."

It's true, you will pay more with Eircom and you will have the contract, but maybe after eFibre will come, it will be better.

I was reading something also in here and this is the major point why I didn't sign with Magnet, also if it wasn't the Stream one.

"Traffic Management Details
    If a customer uses more than 4Gb during peak hours we will slow the speed of their
    connection to 1Mbps to all internet sites except the following:
     Netflix
     Youtube
     AerTV
     Spotify
     Facebook
     RTE Player
     TV3 Player
    Customers will always be able to access all of the above sites at their normal speeds at all
    times.
    Customers are free to use as much data as they like outside of peak hours, off peak hours
    being between 1am – 4pm. Having this period of unlimited off peak data usage allows even
    the high usage customer opportunity to benefit from this extended period."

It's true, you will pay more with Eircom and you will have the contract, but maybe after eFibre will come, it will be better.
    I'll definitely have a look when they send me the contract.

Thanks for the heads up. Man, that's some serious throttling.. :/ I assume peak times are something like 5-10 in the evening?

I'll definitely have a look when they send me the contract.

Thanks for the heads up. Man, that's some serious throttling.. :/ I assume peak times are something like 5-10 in the evening?

Even worst, 4pm-1am (peak hours). If I'm at work, I even cannot enjoy the line. And I didn't mean just torrents or P2P, I'm thinking that I will loose the speed just to download a couple of two Linux isos.

Even worst, 4pm-1am (peak hours). If I'm at work, I even cannot enjoy the line. And I didn't mean just torrents or P2P, I'm thinking that I will loose the speed just to download a couple of two Linux isos.
    Thanks. I'll have a look at the contract when they send it to me. I'll probably ask too if they'll be implementing this in reality and see what they say. 4GB between me and a housemate per day is enough most times... But any serious downloading (Steam game, tormenting etc) and poof goes any respectable bandwidth for the day. So much for unlimited usage. Frankly, a monthly 250-500GB cap without these kind of throttling policies would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Got A John Frusciante

Trying to get magnet but theyll only send around an engineer 9 to 5 during the week and the earliest I can be home is 5 15. Is there anyway around this? I really want it but theres no way I can be home at this time during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Trying to get magnet but theyll only send around an engineer 9 to 5 during the week and the earliest I can be home is 5 15. Is there anyway around this? I really want it but theres no way I can be home at this time during the week.
    I assume you've already been told no? Take a day off or choose a different provider who understands residential customers work normal hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Got A John Frusciante

I assume you've already been told no? Take a day off or choose a different provider who understands residential customers work normal hours.

Cant take any time off. Whos at home 9 to 5 durin the week like.. Will I be charged if I cancel? Ive been sent the router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Cant take any time off. Whos at home 9 to 5 durin the week like.. Will I be charged if I cancel? Ive been sent the router.

Any unemployed friends or retired relatives who could let them in?

Advertisement